2007 Mitsubishi 732 series Owner's Thread (57732, 65732, 73732) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahooslayer View Post

It seems as though the RepairMaster 55000 is a frequently seen EW, 5 years under 5k, I have seen it as low as $187 on Page Computers (dot com). Repair Master also has a 3 year bulb replacement warranty, though I don't see it on this website, perhaps a phone call would do the trick. I still DON'T HAVE MY TV YET so I can't buy an EW yet.

How good is Repair Master Vs Mack? soryy for hijacking this thread to talk about EW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Repair Master was 1 (of a couple) that was recommended to me and 1 of 8 EWs I've recently investigated (pretty thoroughly), including Mack. Mack is 3 yrs + Mfr year, Repair Master (WarrantyByNet) is 4 + Mfr year, 5 yrs overall. No lamp w/Repair Master, 2 lamps w/Mack but you miss out on that important 5th year. Personally I put more emphasis on the 5th year of coverage than I do on the lamp. Many others disagree and seem to be willing to sell their soul to the devil for lamp replacement coverage, even at the expense of giving up a year of warranty coverage to get it. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The price of the warranty is based on the cost of your TV (within a range). For the Mitsubishi WD 65732 the Repair Master was $356.40 including 10% discount. .....
....edit... Yep! Found the other link, Thanks for the tip. Wow, $187.50!

There were three 5 year plans I investigated that included a lamp but they were $500 or higher and 2 of them were only offered by dealers who required that you also by the TV from them (they wouldn't sell just the warranty). As "dealers" they also charged tax on the warranty, so be careful.

As far as hijacking the thread, this thread is about the overall 732 experience and in my opinion selecting an EW (if you want one) for your 732 is part and parcel of that overall experience, just as is selecting a stand for it, connecting peripherals, attaching photos of your setups, photos of observed anomalies and posting results of calibration.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #273 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoemmes View Post

Can the Mits save settings for input pairings AND for the various input formats it might see on a pairing? For example, say your cable box is connected via HDMI and is set for passthrough. The Mits is likely to see 1080i, 720p and I guess 480i native input. It seems as if it might be importan to tweak not only for the input pairign but for the format as well? - or maybe that's overkill.

While I'm sure there could be some tiny variances between resolution, generally this would be overkill. Colorspaces/etc can vary much more between input types (HDMI, component, etc) than they ever would between resolutions from the same chipset via the same input/output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoemmes View Post

In evaluating the 73 Mits' to the JVC (and soon XBR2) it seems that the JVCs do not even have input pairing setting capability (all global) - but I have yet to confirm that and wanted to really understand the Mits capability first.

JVC is still living in a world where the consumer is mostly ignorant of what it truly takes to get the most out of the expensive set they just bought. The ability to calibrate each input to its external device is uber important since each device is programmed to completely different specs. In this regard, JVC is very behind the times.
post #274 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

Repair Master was 1 (of a couple) that was recommended to me and 1 of 8 EWs I've recently investigated (pretty thoroughly), including Mack. Mack is 3 yrs + Mfr year, Repair Master (WarrantyByNet) is 4 + Mfr year, 5 yrs overall. No lamp w/Repair Master, 2 lamps w/Mack but you miss out on that important 5th year. Personally I put more emphasis on the 5th year of coverage than I do on the lamp. Many others disagree and seem to be willing to sell their soul to the devil for lamp replacement coverage, even at the expense of giving up a year of warranty coverage to get it. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The price of the warranty is based on the cost of your TV (within a range). For the Mitsubishi WD 65732 the Repair Master was $356.40 including 10% discount. If you can find that same exact plan for a $3000 TV any cheaper, I'd like to know where.

There were three 5 year plans I investigated that included a lamp but they were $500 or higher and 2 of them were only offered by dealers who required that you also by the TV from them (they wouldn't sell just the warranty). As "dealers" they also charged tax on the warranty, so be careful.

As far as hijacking the thread, this thread is about the overall 732 experience and in my opinion selecting an EW (if you want one) for your 732 is part and parcel of that overall experience, just as is selecting a stand for it, connecting peripherals, attaching photos of your setups, photos of observed anomalies and posting results of calibration.

Television warranty . calm. service master 5 year, 3 year bulb....$319.
post #275 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister View Post

How about this EW for J & R ....

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4072614

Repair Master - Looks good.
5 years, no lamp $300.
The trap/gotcha is you have only 30 days after getting your TV in which to buy it

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #276 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

Repair Master - Looks good.
5 years, no lamp $300.
The trap/gotcha is you have only 30 days after getting your TV in which to buy it

Better check the EW here first. Its 9 months to buy.......

Repair master 5 years, + 3 year lamp replacement (2 lamps)
$319. You have until 90 days left in original mfr warranty to purchase.
"1-Year Manufacturer's Warranty - you have 9 months from the date of purchase of the television to purchase the RepairMaster extended warranty."
www.televisionwarranties.com

The Mack I know is within 30 days.

Particulars are below:
WarranTech® is one of the largest Third Party Service Plan providers in the world and is underwritten by an insurance company rated "Excellent" by A.M. Best. The RepairMaster Service Plan will provide repair or replacement of your consumer electronic product with no deductible and no hidden charges for the period you select. The RepairMaster extended warranty plan covers all mechanical and electrical defects that would normally be covered by the original manufacturer's written warranty, unless otherwise stated in the Exclusions section.

On-Site extended warranty serviced by over 12,000 repair centers worldwide. Parts and labor fully covered with no deductibles and no limits on the number of service calls or repairs. You will have access to toll-free (24) hour support line staffed by expert technicians.

Combine and Save!
Receive an additional $35 discount when you add a RepairMaster Lamp (Bulb) Protection Policy to this purchase. Simply add both items to your cart and use the Promotional Code Lamp6 in the checkout. May not be used with other special offers.

+
$35 savings when you combine with a Lamp Protection policy!

<>

Peace of Mind

Peace of mind has never been so simple..

This warranty extension goes into effect when your original manufacturer's warranty expires, providing you a total of (5) years parts and labor coverage

Applies to all televisions up to $5000 original purchase price

During the manufacturer's warranty period, any parts or labor are the sole responsibility of the manufacturer

Under this coverage, service is provided in your home, or the unit is removed to a repair facility at no additional cost

The service plan is fully insured through an insurance carrier with assets in excess of $54 billion

Once purchased, the service plan will remain in effect even in the unlikely event WarranTech® or your dealer is no longer in business

The extension is renewable through WarranTech® and fully transferable should you sell the product

If your product cannot be repaired, it will be replaced with a product of equivalent or greater value

This RepairMaster Extended Service Plan may be purchased on items you bought elsewhere, as long as such items are still under the manufacturer's warranty

Easy Registration! Following purchase of this RepairMaster extended warranty, we will mail you a policy containing a membership number. You may then register online or by toll-free phone.

FAQs

What is an extended warranty?
Most manufacturer-limited warranties leave you with no protection against the rising cost of repairs after the first year of protection. Our extended warranties offer the opportunity to obtain maximum coverage for years after the conclusion of the manufacturer's warranty.

Can I buy an extended warranty if I purchased my television from elsewhere (Circuit City, Best Buy, eBay, etc.)?
Yes, you can buy an extended warranty from us even if you purchased the television from elsewhere.

Can I purchase the extended warranty today, or should I wait until I receive the television?
You can purchase the extended warranty today. Then, following the purchase of your television you may register your extended warranty.

When is the latest I can purchase a television extended warranty?
The majority of consumers buy and register the extended warranty immediately upon purchasing the television. While it is highly recommended that you do not wait until the last minute, you do have until:

1-Year Manufacturer's Warranty - you have 9 months from the date of purchase of the television to purchase the RepairMaster extended warranty.
90-Day Manufacturer's Warranty - you have 30 days from the date of purchase of the television to purchase the RepairMaster extended warranty.

What do I need to register the warranty?
Following purchase of this RepairMaster extended warranty, we will mail you a policy containing a membership number. You may then register online or by toll-free phone. Registration is quick and easy simply requiring your membership number and serial number of the television.

How do I request repair service?
Simply call the toll-free phone number included with the service plan to be instantly connected to RepairMaster expert technicians.

Is a repair service available near me?
Yes, there are more than 12,000 authorized service centers worldwide including service centers in your area.

Who performs the service?
RepairMaster-authorized technicians (authorized for your make and model). These technicians are trained to ensure your satisfaction and to repair problems using only quality replacement parts.

What happens if my product is beyond repair?
If your item is no longer available you will receive a similar (new) product of equal or greater value.
post #277 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 03:19 PM

Been lurking here for a few days.
Found the forum and the 2 732 threads AFTER I got my new 65732.

I have to admit, I'm glad I didn't read all this BEFORE I got it. I would have been sucked into the vortex of:

Who has them?
When are they arriving?
Is it better than the Sammy?
....so on and so on.

Lucky me because on August 29th I innocently walked into a niche dealer that I have bought things from off and on for about 30 years. I had driven to the big city (Houston) to pick up a Blue Ray player and some Paradigmn in-wall speakers for an office at work. (So I kind of kept up with technology from a distance, but not at the level of detail you guys do ) Well, I had no idea that August 29th was right in the middle of the time that much suffering was taking place by those of you that were watching the clock tick as you awaited the arrival of the 732s to dealers nationwide. The dealer I was at had just unpacked and set up a demo of the 65732 and were preparing it for a customer who had been waiting for weeks. I took one look at it with an HD feed and was simply stunned! Realizing it was right-out-of-the-box and looked that good? I told the owner to put it in my truck. I was taking it home.

I was really pleased to find that it even looked better at home in a controlled environment, where I could tweak it a bit. I was pretty much a CRT snob and was barely able to admit that I had recently seen a couple of DLP sets that looked like maybe there was a chance for a future substitute for the dangerously close-to-extinct CRT RPTV products. This set put that problem behind me. I am still in awe of what this thing can do when you feed it a diet of quality input material. Just amazing.

And while I am sure that the ongoing debate here about the finite nuances that separate the current 50+ inch 1080P displays is valid, if you just buy this set and take it home and spend a few minutes adjusting the default settings AND sending it quality source material, you are sure to be pleased. Ecstatic even.

Anyways, I've really been enjoying this forum. And all of you have helped make me a 732 EXPERT! LOL... I like it even more now. I think.

Cheers

By the way captain. I bought a 5 year EW for 350.00 from the dealer. I'm still waiting for the official contract to arrive by mail. I trust the owner and I believe he stated that it includes 1 bulb after the first year. I think that is because Mits covers it in year 1. My paperwork says it is from brandsource. They have a website.

No place like Texas
Good or Bad
post #278 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I just spent 60 mins at Fry's looking at the Mits and the new JVCs. The 831, 732 and 731 were all adjacent to one another on the main floor, running the Mits demo feed off a hard drive. The only JVC FN/FH out was a 70" in a darkened viewing room next to a 62" 627 Mits displaying Star Wars Ep 3 off a dvd. I adjusted the JVC as best I could and did the same with the 627, which was crushing blacks. The blacks on the Mits were quite superior to the JVC, so I switched my focus to the 831/732 (57"). I set them up identically (Natural, Low Temp, Sharp at 18, Color and Tint at default, DFI on, Sharpedge off). I couldn't see any difference in picture, though there were few white/bright scenes susceptible to SSE. Perhaps it was the bright showroom lighting but I can't see paying $$$ more for the 831 (a buddy of mine who owns a HT store agrees) bsaed on my viewing. Perhaps in a dark room it would be different. For those of you who saw a difference in the two (side by side) - what did you see? How many of you saw no difference in the picture? By the way, I saw the sets with no picture at all - the reflectivity of the screens wasn't much different (if anything, the 831 was a little less reflective).

Go Duke !
post #279 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a RepairTech....not RepairMaster...which also is about the same price but comes with annual free cleaning. But I found this thread discussing Repairtech though...not RepairMaster.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...id=00A1fr&tag=

So What ya think? I should get the Repair Master?
post #280 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

I just spent 60 mins at Fry's looking at the Mits and the new JVCs. The 831, 732 and 731 were all adjacent to one another on the main floor, running the Mits demo feed off a hard drive. The only JVC FN/FH out was a 70" in a darkened viewing room next to a 62" 627 Mits displaying Star Wars Ep 3 off a dvd. I adjusted the JVC as best I could and did the same with the 627, which was crushing blacks. The blacks on the Mits were quite superior to the JVC, so I switched my focus to the 831/732 (57"). I set them up identically (Natural, Low Temp, Sharp at 18, Color and Tint at default, DFI on, Sharpedge off). I couldn't see any difference in picture, though there were few white/bright scenes susceptible to SSE. Perhaps it was the bright showroom lighting but I can't see paying $$$ more for the 831 (a buddy of mine who owns a HT store agrees) bsaed on my viewing. Perhaps in a dark room it would be different. For those of you who saw a difference in the two (side by side) - what did you see? How many of you saw no difference in the picture? By the way, I saw the sets with no picture at all - the reflectivity of the screens wasn't much different (if anything, the 831 was a little less reflective).

Odd it may seem, but both I and my wife (who really doesn't care one way or the other) thought the 831 was, while not HUGELY apparent, definately superior in PQ to the 732. This is after I took the time to set them EXACTLY the same to each other. I was hoping the have your experience and keep the difference in $ in my wallet, but alas it was not to be.
post #281 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Trackman,
I saw them both, 831 and 732 but not next to each other. 3D feel was the only difference ...and maybe the 831 may have a bit cleaner pic...i.e. less SSE, noise

If I had to stare at the sets for 20 minutes and may or may not be able to tell the diff, I don't want to spend an extra 550 bucks for the 831. So I went home with the 732.
post #282 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn View Post

While it does have DVI port it doesn't seem capable of giving the mits the correct signal because even though the desktop is configured to 1920x1080 the TV is telling me it's a nonstandard signal. As a result I'm not getting a pixel-perfect display, instead the TV is downscaling the desktop a bit (instead of 2-3% overscan it looks like I have about 3-4% underscan, with black borders all around). The vid card is a Radon 9200 (I know, old), using some of the older ATI drivers (latest drivers no longer support this card).

Another thing I noticed, the computer input is missing some rather important video adjustments, namely picture mode (brilliant/bright/natural) and color temp (appears to be stuck on high). I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the "nonstandard video signal" or if it's a limitation Mitsubishi put on the DVI port. I hope it's not the latter, I really don't like the bluish tint to the high color setting (My old RPTV was calibrated to 6500K, and is my workstation PC).

I've got my pc running via the DVI port, and am also getting the 1" black border. I'm not getting any errors about non-standard resolutions.

My driving my display with a Nvidia 7600 card and had set the tv-out settings for 1080p. I can use the format select on the TV to go into normal mode, but then I seem to loose about 5% of the desktop. So right now I'm running in 1080p reduced mode so I get 100% of the PC screen. But I'd really like to get a nice 100% resolution match.

I also noticed that A LOT of the picture options go away with PC input... makes me wonder if I am loosing a bunch of the 732 features, and would have been better off with a 731.
post #283 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

badclams and rudy - did you view them in subdued lighting? I think it is easier to tell subtle differences in darker conditions. Also, what size did you view? It could be that the differences are more apparent on a 65 v. a 57".

Rudy - were the two you saw running off the same feed?

Go Duke !
post #284 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:

There's a RepairTech....not RepairMaster...which also is about the same price but comes with annual free cleaning. But I found this thread discussing Repairtech though...not RepairMaster.

Never hear of them
post #285 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

badclams and rudy - did you view them in subdued lighting? I think it is easier to tell subtle differences in darker conditions. Also, what size did you view? It could be that the differences are more apparent on a 65 v. a 57".

Yes, it was subdue...not completely dark but not as bright as BB or CC.

The size was 65". Problem was they were 10 sets apart. The feed was the same. I keptplaying with their settings over and over. I went to the store 3 times, the 3rd time I picked up the 732.

yes there was a diff... the feed was HDNET. It just was not enough for me to get it. At times I saw more diff...others none...having to run back and forth between the 2 sets was hard to compare. I suspect that ...if they were side by side...you would the diff would be more apparent.

Someone here once said....if it takes you more than 20minutes to see the diff and you can hardly see it...it ain't worth 550 bucks (I paraphrased)
post #286 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How do you turn off TV speakers for individual inputs.

post #287 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:

It was in subdued lighting (back room off the main floor) They were both 65s and had the 731 in-between them. Both wife and I agreed there was definately a more 3d feel from the 831 (ducks on the water looked like you could grab them by the neck on the 831) and a slightly brighter overall screen (mostly evident on brighter colored objects...some yellow flower petals come to mind..), despite them being set to same setups on video menus. Honestly seemed to have a slight edge on overall detail (high cirrus clouds on blue sky seemed more resolved/less fuzzy vs 732) My viewing was done at ~10-12 feet in an attempt to simulate my home seating arrangment.

After all that viewing, it made me want to get a DVD of just HD nature scenery to run as background when we're not watching a program. Anybody know if something like that is available???

I feel that once either is in your home you'll be thrilled; I just kept coming back to the 831 myself.
post #288 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Go to Menu, Setup, Audio/Video and turn off the TV Speakers...do it for each input you want off
post #289 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Rudy and badclams - the subdued lighting and larger size may well have been the differences from my situation. I had to stand about 12 feet back from the 57" sets to get a good perspective on both, though I did get closer on several occassions. The lighting was quite bright too - even more so than BB or CC usually are. There is one place I can go which has very dark viewing; hopefully they will have the 831 in and close to the 732.

Go Duke !
post #290 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Alternatively, program NetCommand and tell it what audio inputs on the receiver match each tv input and it will switch your receiver for you as well as give you the option of using the receiver or the tv speakers on the device menu for each input.
post #291 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:

I looked at the RepairTech site, under the "who we service" link, Mitsubishi is not listed, whereas Sony, Samsung, JVC, etc, are.
post #292 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm I guess Repair Master is the preferred choice of the two.
post #293 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Hmmm I guess Repair Master is the preferred choice of the two.

Furthermore, with regard to the Repair Tech annual cleaning, the fine print reads "Free annual cleaning applies to Film Cameras, Laptop Computers, Digital and Video Cameras only".
post #294 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 11:13 PM

Made it into my 732's service menu tonight with no issues (luckily). It really does make tweaking your grayscale a heck of a lot easier. I used the "global" adj's in the menu, though there may be input specific adj's as well- I didnt want to press me luck.
post #295 of 2650 Old 09-24-2006, 11:54 PM

OK, in summation, the RepairMaster EW item # is RMT55000. This is a 5 year EW for non plasma tvs less than $5000. The next level down is $2500. The 3 year lamp warranty from Repairmaster is item # RMLMP3, this is a 3 year lamp replacement warranty, limit 2 lamps. Both of these EWs begin at the end of the manufacturer's warranty, so the EWs are for an additional 4 and 2 years, respectively. The best price I've seen for these is at Page Computers (dot com), 187.39 (tv) 69.28 (lamp) 11.38 (freight?), total 268.05. It's also on Amazon for a few bucks more.
post #296 of 2650 Old 09-25-2006, 05:53 AM

Quote:

OK, in summation, the RepairMaster EW item # is RMT55000. This is a 5 year EW for non plasma tvs less than $5000. The next level down is $2500. The 3 year lamp warranty from Repairmaster is item # RMLMP3, this is a 3 year lamp replacement warranty, limit 2 lamps. Both of these EWs begin at the end of the manufacturer's warranty, so the EWs are for an additional 4 and 2 years, respectively. The best price I've seen for these is at Page Computers (dot com), 187.39 (tv) 69.28 (lamp) 11.38 (freight?), total 268.05. It's also on Amazon for a few bucks more.

Thanks for the great detective work, Wahoo. This reminds me of when I shopped for the EW on my current vehicle: they are just another commodity and can be negotiated! (or in this case just keep looking for the best $ 'till you find it.) Seems this Page Computers is the king of the hill in the price war!

For that price, why wouldn't you jump on it?
post #297 of 2650 Old 09-25-2006, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post

Made it into my 732's service menu tonight with no issues (luckily). It really does make tweaking your grayscale a heck of a lot easier. I used the "global" adj's in the menu, though there may be input specific adj's as well- I didnt want to press me luck.

You adjusted the grey scale? does that sounded like making the blacks more blacks...etc more details etc?

Please share....
post #298 of 2650 Old 09-25-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Furthermore, with regard to the Repair Tech annual cleaning, the fine print reads "Free annual cleaning applies to Film Cameras, Laptop Computers, Digital and Video Cameras only".

Good eyes!! thanks for the P.I works...

So...do we know anything about their history as a company (Repair Master)...is this the one I should go with?
post #299 of 2650 Old 09-25-2006, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Found this link...don't know how reliable the info is....

http://www.warrantybynet.com/EAStrengthAssurance.asp
post #300 of 2650 Old 09-25-2006, 07:35 AM

Has anyone calibrated their xx732 yet? I did not get my HD DVR from E* as scheduled for yesterday. That is an entirely different story and one that gets me really peeved!
However, they might be coming out today. I am most concerned about calibrating the satellite input because my wife is not pleased about the picture coming from the current SD feed. I already tried to explain:
the different signals from 480i and all the other signals up to 1080p
and that she is watching 480i on a TV optimized for 1080p
and it is also twice as large as the Panny 40" that she claims has a better PQ.
She is willing to wait and see how the picture looks with the HD DVR, but I know that if I can't get a picture that makes us go WOW! Then this TV is going back.
Let me re-itterate, so no Mits bashers jump in, I know the PQ is not the TV, but rather the signal going into the TV combined with getting it calibrated for a optimal PQ. I know I could pay for calibration but I am pretty tech savvy and would like to try it myself.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page