2007 Mitsubishi 732 series Owner's Thread (57732, 65732, 73732) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2650 Old 10-03-2006, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

Well, we will find out soon enough. UMR (Jeff) will be here on Friday the 6th to perform ISF calibration on my 65732.

Yes, please tell us... get him to compare and contrast to his experience with the current Sammys, too, please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2650 Old 10-03-2006, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, we will find out soon enough. UMR (Jeff) will be here on Friday the 6th to perform ISF calibration on my 65732.

Friday cannot come soon enough
post #453 of 2650 Old 10-03-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangedup View Post

COLOR TEMP: LOW
SHARPNESS: 05
TINT: 23
COLOR: 26
BRIGHTNESS: 31
CONTRAST: 02
PICTURE MODE: Natural
VIDEO NOISE: OFF
SHARPEDGE: ON
DEEPFIELD IMAGER: ON

PERFECT COLOR/TINT: DEFAULT 31

Here are my setting I came up with using OVATION SOFTWARE for my WD57732. I did this at night with the lights off. I recomend you switch Color Temp to Bright during the day or with a lot of lights on.

When I tried this last night for MNF, the field changed to all one color. Are the 5 yard intervals supposed to be different shades of green??

Otherwise, it looked good. It was a bit dark though. Anyone else find this to be the issue? It sure wasn't colorful, but it was clear.

Imagination is more important than knowledge
post #454 of 2650 Old 10-03-2006, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister View Post

Friday cannot come soon enough

For those of you interested I believe UMR originally indicated he'd be writing a summary report once he had a chance to look at the new Mits. Now whether he posts here or over in the main (combined) product thread, who can say, but I'll be on the lookout for it. After all the hype I'm understandably anxious (as I think we all are) to see how the 65732 measures up.

By the way, for others thinking about it, ISF calibration (and Jeff Meier in particular) was recommended to me by Leonard Caillouet Lcaillo who some of you may recognize as a Mits Certified service tech and regular poster on AVS Forum.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #455 of 2650 Old 10-03-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post

When I tried this last night for MNF, the field changed to all one color. Are the 5 yard intervals supposed to be different shades of green??

Otherwise, it looked good. It was a bit dark though. Anyone else find this to be the issue? It sure wasn't colorful, but it was clear.

I only have about 10 hours on my set.... the picture is a bit dark with these settings, however I find them realistic....when you were watching MNF did you have all you lights off? B/c I did all my set up with no lights, this is the only way I can have other persons check my setting on the same playin field. I still have a lot more to play with and will post my changes. All comments are welcome.

"I AM WE TODD IT....I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT." -Albert Einstein
post #456 of 2650 Old 10-03-2006, 06:15 PM

[QUOTE=justpassinthru
Issue #2. When powering on the TV and the Cable box (SA-8300) via HDMI, there is a message dialog box that overlays the picture. It states that the TV is not HDCP compliant and that you should use RBG input instead of HDMI. This condition is intermittent. Apparently the SA-8300 cannot validate HDCP compliance with the 57732. Reseating the HDMI cable on the SA-8300 side corrects the problem. I have tried a second HDMI cable with the same result. I plan on contacting both TWC and Scientific Atlanta to see what the fix might be. I will post the results. Mitsubishi technical support was not aware of the problem. They asked that once I find a definitive answer that I let them know. Nice to see that they want to build a better technical reference in support of their products.

I had the same problem this past weekend. I have the same box through TWC and a 65732. I called TWC and they reset my box which I could have done on my own and it corrected the problem. Mine has only happened only once though.

Good Luck,
post #457 of 2650 Old 10-03-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post

Contrast is a bit low compared to other settings I've tried and heard about. Also SE off is better on decent source material, I think. Natural is supposed to be the best, but it may be the best in the evening. During the day, I like "bright" better, when the ambient light is higher. "Natural" seems a bit dark to me during the day. Sometimes the best, most accurate image is not what you want. Sometimes you want the "wow" factor. Marveling is OK.

Peace.
post #458 of 2650 Old 10-04-2006, 05:32 AM

[quote=Spiceboy][quote=justpassinthru
Issue #2. When powering on the TV and the Cable box (SA-8300) via HDMI, there is a message dialog box that overlays the picture. It states that the TV is not HDCP compliant and that you should use RBG input instead of HDMI....... This condition is intermittent. Apparently the SA-8300 cannot validate HDCP compliance with the 57732..................

I had the same problem this past weekend. I have the same box through TWC and a 65732. I called TWC and they reset my box which I could have done on my own and it corrected the problem. Mine has only happened only once though.

Good Luck,[/QUOTE]

TWC is replacing my SA-8300 tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes it. In the meantime I swapped my second 8300 onto the 732 and have not been able to recreate the problem.

JustPassinThru
post #459 of 2650 Old 10-04-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:

For those of you interested I believe UMR originally indicated he'd be writing a summary report once he had a chance to look at the new Mits. Now whether he posts here or over in the main (combined) product thread, who can say, but I'll be on the lookout for it. After all the hype I'm understandably anxious (as I think we all are) to see how the 65732 measures up.

By the way, for others thinking about it, ISF calibration (and Jeff Meier in particular) was recommended to me by Leonard Caillouet Lcaillo who some of you may recognize as a Mits Certified service tech and regular poster on AVS Forum.

Can't wait to read your report on Friday. Could you find out the problems some people are having when they set the TV/source to 720P instead of 1080i for the cable card, DVR or DVD players. Some people are having problems with the Mits scaling 1080i. This is my only major concerns, the Mits has a better time with a 720 source than the 1080i? plus problems with the text and slight motion problems (example ESPN). Can't wait to hear what you have to say. Ready to pull the trigger; just need the final report card. LOL
post #460 of 2650 Old 10-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Do you mind saying what you paid at ABT? I bought a 632 from a local dealer in Cle. Oh. for 3100+tax
post #461 of 2650 Old 10-04-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast2 View Post

Do you mind saying what you paid at ABT? I bought a 632 from a local dealer in Cle. Oh. for 3100+tax

Aganst forum rules to say so but you can PM him and get the price
post #462 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Since getting the set I've felt that the high color temp is too cool/blue and while the low temp setting is better it's a bit too yellowish. I've been meaning to do a grayscale calibration of the set using my i1 spectrophotometer, and finally got around to it tonight. The low color temp measured 5500 at the default settings which confirms the yellow cast I was seeing. So I went into the service menu and changed the green/red/blue gains using the i1 to dial in 6500K. The result looks much better IMHO. Although the settings below may not be exactly right for every set they may be closer than the factory defaults if you want to give them a try.

The procedure for getting into the service menu is listed elsewhere in this thread as well as the combined Mits DLP owner thread. The usual caveats apply, enter at your own risk and write down the original settings down if you want to be able to get back in case you screw something up. Here are the settings I arrived at:

6. GGL - 911
7. GRL - 990
8. GBL - 798

Note these only affect the "low" color temp, if you're using "high" you'd need to adjust GGH, GRH, and GBH.
post #463 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could you ask him about the screen? Since he probably hasn't seen the other models perhaps he could look at the screen close up and compare it to the Samsung 87 series screen that he owns. Just trying to determine whether or not he notices a difference in the texture of the screen.
post #464 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Cap'n - not to pile on here, but if you can ask your calibrator if its possible to adjust overscan on the 732's, that would be awesome. I cannot find a setting anywhere for this.
post #465 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post

Cap'n - not to pile on here, but if you can ask your calibrator if its possible to adjust overscan on the 732's, that would be awesome. I cannot find a setting anywhere for this.

I'm curious about this as well. I took a quick look in the Service menu but had no idea if any of those settings related to overscan. I was quite surprised to see that when looking at the overscan test pattern built into the service menu (use ff/rw buttons on remote to cycle through the patterns), I have a bit over 6% overscan on the sides and 7% on the top/bottom. I'd be OK with 3-4% overscan but this seems excessive.
post #466 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 03:48 PM

Absolutely - the overscan isn't even close on these units.
post #467 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn View Post

Since getting the set I've felt that the high color temp is too cool/blue and while the low temp setting is better it's a bit too yellowish. I've been meaning to do a grayscale calibration of the set using my i1 spectrophotometer, and finally got around to it tonight. The low color temp measured 5500 at the default settings which confirms the yellow cast I was seeing. So I went into the service menu and changed the green/red/blue gains using the i1 to dial in 6500K. The result looks much better IMHO. Although the settings below may not be exactly right for every set they may be closer than the factory defaults if you want to give them a try.

The procedure for getting into the service menu is listed elsewhere in this thread as well as the combined Mits DLP owner thread. The usual caveats apply, enter at your own risk and write down the original settings down if you want to be able to get back in case you screw something up. Here are the settings I arrived at:

6. GGL - 911
7. GRL - 990
8. GBL - 798

Note these only affect the "low" color temp, if you're using "high" you'd need to adjust GGH, GRH, and GBH.

I tried these settings tonight and had to comment now. My picture went from I'm happy to unfreakin believable. I have the 73732 and actually other than the green, the defaults were not far off, but the accuracy of the colors is dramatically better. I have been channel surfing to check the colors on other programs and they all look great. I have my brightness slightly higher than default and the contrast somewhat lower. That is what is working for me. Keep up the info and thanks. It is only getting better.
post #468 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post

Can't wait to read your report on Friday. Could you find out the problems some people are having when they set the TV/source to 720P instead of 1080i for the cable card, DVR or DVD players. Some people are having problems with the Mits scaling 1080i. This is my only major concerns, the Mits has a better time with a 720 source than the 1080i? plus problems with the text and slight motion problems (example ESPN). Can't wait to hear what you have to say. Ready to pull the trigger; just need the final report card. LOL

I think there's a general understanding that any deinterlacing and scaling is best left to the Mits, hence the 720 source looking better than a 1080 source is understandable.

There's been some recent question whether Jeff will actually post his findings in the AVS Forum. I understand him being gun-shy. Once you achieve "professional" status and recognition as an undisputed expert in your field (as he pretty much has), you suddenly have it within your power with the mere utterance of a casual remark or with a couple of keystrokes, to tremendously impact product sales (and customer returns) especially on the higher end merchandise. He has to be extremely careful about saying publicly anything negative or making statements of comparison suggesting "X" is better than "Y" lest he risk a lawsuit. There's a way to do it, but you need an attorney to write your reviews for you in sufficiently vague and ambiguous terms. The lawyers will tell you, if you can't say something positive, then don't say anything at all. I think Jeff has made it clear in some of his recent posts that such will be the tone of any of his future posts regarding a product.

I'll try to take some notes, but any "Jeff said this" or "Jeff said that" will probably need to come straight from the horse's mouth.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #469 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A good person to pose that very question to would be Leonard Caillouet (Lcaillo). Leonard is a MITS-Certified service tech. If anyone would have that answer, he would.

post #470 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Absolutely - the overscan isn't even close on these units.

If it were possible to set the horiz and vert scan exactly on the mark would you then complain about DVDs and etc you run across in which you can see underscan and the retrace lines? I sure would. I don't want to see that crap.

Looking at the HDNet HD alignment broadcasts in the wee hours of Tuesday mornings, I appear to have around 3½ to 5% overscan. Hardly seems worth the battle.

post #471 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it were possible to set the horiz and vert scan exactly on the mark would you then complain about DVDs and etc you run across in which you can see underscan and the retrace lines? I sure would. I don't want to see that crap.

Looking at the HDNet HD alignment broadcasts in the wee hours of Tuesday mornings, I appear to have around 3½ to 5% overscan. Hardly seems worth the battle.

I wouldn't want zero overscan, but I think these days 2-3% is probably enough to prevent any "ugliness" from showing up on screen. If I had 3.5% overscan I wouldn't be complaining but as I said it seems to be more like 6-7%. I'll have to verify that with an external test pattern though, I suppose it's possible the SM test pattern is off. I wouldn't think there would be _that_ much variance from one set to the next since these are digital projectors, but what do I know.
post #472 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammyha View Post

I tried these settings tonight and had to comment now. My picture went from I'm happy to unfreakin believable. I have the 73732 and actually other than the green, the defaults were not far off, but the accuracy of the colors is dramatically better. I have been channel surfing to check the colors on other programs and they all look great. I have my brightness slightly higher than default and the contrast somewhat lower. That is what is working for me. Keep up the info and thanks. It is only getting better.

Glad they work for you. I haven't messed around with any of the color/tint settings yet but will probably do so in the near future. Eventually I'd like to use the Calman software to help with calibrating but it doesn't support my i1 hardware yet. In the meantime if we're lucky hopefully UMR will share some of his findings after he calibrates Cap'n Preshoot's set.
post #473 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Could you ask him about the screen? Since he probably hasn't seen the other models perhaps he could look at the screen close up and compare it to the Samsung 87 series screen that he owns. Just trying to determine whether or not he notices a difference in the texture of the screen.

the screen on the 732 and the 831 series on identical. The parts list for each TV lists the exact same part number for the screen. Also when doing very controlled side by side comparison the PQ is identical. Also when inspecting each screen structure up close, they are identical with verticle grooves.
post #474 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I disagree - using the exact same settings in subdued lighting, the 831 has better whites and flesh tones. Otherwise, it's a close call.

As to the screens, a Mits engineer told Parasite that there is a difference and that the same parts # is used temporarily because a new one has not yet been assigned to the 831.

Go Duke !
post #475 of 2650 Old 10-05-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

I disagree - using the exact same settings in subdued lighting, the 831 has better whites and flesh tones. Otherwise, it's a close call.

As to the screens, a Mits engineer told Parasite that there is a difference and that the same parts # is used temporarily because a new one has not yet been assigned to the 831.

urband legend. fact...same part number....fact....exact same PQ......fact......same screen structure.....results.......same screen.

like they are going to screw up the PL on purpose for a production of 10s of thousands.......LOL
post #476 of 2650 Old 10-06-2006, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

I personally don't care about this screen issue either way. I just want to chime in on that excuse. Because that is exactly what it is, a BS excuses. I work in manufacturing and on a SAP/Oracle system and I doubt a company like MIts who is larger than us would use the same part # for 2 different items cause they couldn't assign one. It takes 5 seconds to assign a part #. Period!!!.

Most likely we are looking at the same screen if it's the same # and this reminds me of the Samsung HLS-Thread where the 88 series was listed as 10-bit processing and the 87 series was not listed at all. When people called Samsung to ask about the 87 series processing they got different answers from 8-bit to the same 10-bit as the 88 series. I believe the final consensus was that the units were identical except for a few minor features like CCard and QAM TUNER But Samsung listed it on the 88 series cause it was a more $$ set and they wanted to think it was a more advanced processor.
post #477 of 2650 Old 10-06-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcal3 View Post

I personally don't care about this screen issue either way. I just want to chime in on that excuse. Because that is exactly what it is, a BS excuses. I work in manufacturing and on a SAP/Oracle system and I doubt a company like MIts who is larger than us would use the same part # for 2 different items cause they couldn't assign one. It takes 5 seconds to assign a part #. Period!!!.

Most likely we are looking at the same screen if it's the same # and this reminds me of the Samsung HLS-Thread where the 88 series was listed as 10-bit processing and the 87 series was not listed at all. When people called Samsung to ask about the 87 series processing they got different answers from 8-bit to the same 10-bit as the 88 series. I believe the final consensus was that the units were identical except for a few minor features like CCard and QAM TUNER But Samsung listed it on the 88 series cause it was a more $$ set and they wanted to think it was a more advanced processor.

you got it brother. Finally, someone with common sense!
post #478 of 2650 Old 10-06-2006, 08:42 AM

Cap'n,
What time is your 732 being calibrated? I think a lot of us are anxious to hear the outcome.
I'm getting a 57732 as a warranty replacement for an original Philips LCoS set. Can't wait to get it and start tweaking.

Fred

We Are.............PENN STATE!!!
post #479 of 2650 Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 AM

Seems as though Costco.com is lowering prices on some of the Mitsu DLP sets (including the 65831 down to $3,499+shipping). I noticed that the 65732 is no longer on Costco.com but the 65731 still is and has dropped to $2,899. Since the 65732 and the 65731 were both previously at $3,299 perhaps if and when the 65732 shows up again in will have dropped to $2,899 as well. Here's hoping!

Gizmo Joe
post #480 of 2650 Old 10-06-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by largdiag View Post

you got it brother. Finally, someone with common sense!

Then I suppose you contend parasite and/or the engineer are lying. Perhaps so, but I'm not ready to just assume that.

As to PQ being the same - that's your opinion. Many people have posted to the contrary. It's a subjective view - not a "fact".

Go Duke !
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page