2007 Mitsubishi 732 series Owner's Thread (57732, 65732, 73732) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post

Its not local for you, but ABT blew away the Costco price.

No idea who ABT is, or their website. Can you give me an URL?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I assume you have to negotiate the price with them? Their website is charging full retail.

I spoke with Eric Spaw and asked him to give me "their best price" on the 65732. As simple as that.
post #33 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn View Post

No idea who ABT is, or their website. Can you give me an URL?

sent you a PM - when I try to post it here I get "www.*******.com
post #34 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post

sent you a PM - when I try to post it here I get "www.*******.com

That's how it came across in the PM, as well. If it's not too much trouble you can email me at jkohn dot houston dot rr dot com

Thanks,
post #35 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:

That's how it came across in the PM, as well. If it's not too much trouble you can email me at jkohn dot houston dot rr dot com

Thanks,

Funny - lets try it this way in case others want to check it out as well. Do a google search on "abt electronics".
post #36 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 12:07 PM

HOW IS THE PQ ON BETTER SD FEEDS SUCH AS THE GOLF CHANNEL AND ANIMAL PLANET AND THE HGTV CHANNELS?

I am looking at the 65831 or the 73732 set for my family room and no one in my area has these sets available, so I was going to purchase on line. HOWEVER, this set for me to purchase does need to do a good job of handlyling the sd channels. I have the Sony FP "RUBY" FP on a 120 screen upstairs in a HT room and it handles the SD channels just fine. NO not HD PQ but very watchable, so a set with good video processing can do an OK job on most SD channels.

CAN you owners out there comment on the PQ for the Golf channel, Animal planet and the Home Impr shows, as wll as the GAME show (need this for the POKER shows) Thanks
post #37 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 12:49 PM

I was at the storee last night checking out the 57732 they had on display. The "demo" material they were showing was a live feed of "Wheel of Fortune" in HD. I gotta say, the picture looked amazing. But somebody please tell me why we need to see a spinning wheel in High Definition???
post #38 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 03:31 PM

I am getting my 65732 this Saturday. Does anyone have a good recommendation for the initial setting I should start with?

I have a fairly bright room as this will be my primary TV for both D* as well as DVDs. I will be hooking up both the DVD player as well as my D* H20 via HDMI.

Thanks in advance

TR-Gonz

"Video without HD is like TV without color"
post #39 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone PM me the price you got on the 57732 from ABT?

Thanks
post #40 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

A: It will fit
B: You will void your warranty
C: You will void any extended warranty you might have
D: You may possibly run into some cooling issues
E: You may run into calibration issues. The lamp is only 1 piece of a complex puzzle.
F: No offense meant, but this is a foolish idea, in my opinion. The 150w lamp is blazingly bright in the 65", which has approx 20% greater light diffusion than the 57"

What is it you hope to gain with a 20% brighter (and 20% hotter) lamp?

Thanks for the info. I knew there was more to it.

"I AM WE TODD IT....I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT." -Albert Einstein
post #41 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMELVIN View Post

HOW IS THE PQ ON BETTER SD FEEDS SUCH AS THE GOLF CHANNEL AND ANIMAL PLANET AND THE HGTV CHANNELS?

Only my opinion here... I dearly love my new 65732 and the HD is positively magnificent, but the SD feeds look no better (to me) than they did on my 5 year old 55819. I would describe them best as "soft focus". They look best if you do not stretch them and instead display them in 4 x 3.

In stretch mode you only make them worse.

They're watchable, yes, but unimpressive. After HD everything else is just TV.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #42 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgonz View Post

I am getting my 65732 this Saturday. Does anyone have a good recommendation for the initial setting I should start with?

This is what has worked for me;
Deep Field Imager ON
Sharpedge OFF
Video Noise MEDIUM
Picture Mode BRIGHT
Contrast 46
Brightness 37
Color 33
Tint 31 (default)
Sharpness 23
Color Temp HIGH
Perfect Color settings are all at default values.

Your mileage may vary

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #43 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM

Hi gang,
I have ordered a 57732 and it will be arriving any day, but I got caught up in the 831 wave of emotion. It is going to take me at least $500.00 more dollars and indefinate wait ( probably 10-20 days). Have anyone looked at both 732 and 831 and decided the 732 was more than good enough for them. I am sure that the 831 is better but maybe not enough to make the difference. Thanks for any input.
Tennispro
post #44 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennispro View Post

Have anyone looked at both 732 and 831 and decided the 732 was more than good enough for them.

What's "Bragging Rights" worth? That's what I perceive the 831 as.

I think I speak for several of us here when I say that we bought (or are buying) the 732 because it has the best bang for the buck. Though the 731 was less expensive, there's too little bang for my buck there. I bought my 732 for the significantly improved blacks and what I personally perceive as a greatly enhanced contrast ratio for only a few bucks more than the 731. Simply put, the 831 was out of my league. Another half a yard was more than I wanted to invest.

Remember, the set was only part of the cost. Most of us also had to buy a stand and some even bought a new DVD player, HDMI cables, etc. The budget only stretches so far. The 732 is a nice fit.

If I have any bragging rights with my 732 it's that it's paid for.

post #45 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennispro View Post

Hi gang,
I have ordered a 57732 and it will be arriving any day, but I got caught up in the 831 wave of emotion. It is going to take me at least $500.00 more dollars and indefinate wait ( probably 10-20 days). Have anyone looked at both 732 and 831 and decided the 732 was more than good enough for them. I am sure that the 831 is better but maybe not enough to make the difference. Thanks for any input.
Tennispro

$500 will almost buy you two replacement lamps. Save your money we all will need it!

post #46 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 07:24 PM

Hey Fellas

I have had my 57-732 for a liitle less than a week. My settngs are just about identical to PreShoot, exept my set is on Natural picture mode. A couple questions though:

1. What is the consensus on when to turn the tv off? If you know you are coming back to the tv in 30 minutes or so, do you leave the tv on or turn it off? What is best for the bulb life?

2. If you leave it on Bright mode vs Natural mode, does the bulb life decrease?

Thx!

Imagination is more important than knowledge
post #47 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 07:56 PM

One way to extend the life of your lamp is to turn off the quick restart, however if you are useing a cable card it will not allow you to turn it off because of the set up of the TV Guide.

post #48 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post

Hey Fellas

I have had my 57-732 for a liitle less than a week. My settngs are just about identical to PreShoot, exept my set is on Natural picture mode. A couple questions though:

1. What is the consensus on when to turn the tv off? If you know you are coming back to the tv in 30 minutes or so, do you leave the tv on or turn it off? What is best for the bulb life?

2. If you leave it on Bright mode vs Natural mode, does the bulb life decrease?

Thx!

Mits recommends you leave the set on to enhance bulb life. Obviously, your utility bill will go up a tad but probably not enough to worry about v. a new bulb.

I suspect , but don't know, that a lower setting will enhance bulb life.

Go Duke !
post #49 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think I speak for several of us here when I say that we bought (or are buying) the 732 because it has the best bang for the buck. Though the 731 was less expensive, there's too little bang for my buck there. I bought my 732 for the significantly improved blacks and what I personally perceive as a greatly enhanced contrast ratio for only a few bucks more than the 731. Simply put, the 831 was out of my league. Another half a yard was more than I wanted to invest.

I'm leaning towards the 732 right now, but I do wish I could see the 831 for myself before deciding so I can determine if the screen really is as great as some are hyping it to be. It's just hard to tell how much difference the screen might make when I haven't been able to actually see either of these sets yet. I went by the local Tweeter today. He said they do have the 732 in stock, and expect the 831 shortly. But there was no demo model of the 732 on the floor, only last years models because they're trying to clear out old inventory.

I have seen the 731 at BB, playing their crappy satellite HD feed. Overall it looked good except for the weak blacks. I guess I'm going to have to take it on faith that the 732 blacks really are that much better unless In can find a display model somewhere.
post #50 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Well...I'm sort of...leaning toward a 831 but have been given some thoughts as to whether the 831 is worth the extra bucks...unless I can get a great deal.

Frys' will have the 831 up for me to view this coming Friday so I can't wait. The only problem is...Fry's has a very decent environment for viewing TV i.e. it's dark not bright. Therefore ...I suspect it will be hard for me to really judge the 831 since one of the biggest attribute of the screen is its ability to fend off glares.
In my viewing room at home...I have a 4 panel windows next to it but it only gets indirect sunlight during the daytime
post #51 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't realize Fry's would be carrying the 831 series, maybe I'll stop by ours and see if they have one out (or at least have the 732 on the floor for me to see).

On the other hand, if I'm almost definitely getting the 732 maybe seeing the 831 isn't such a great idea...
post #52 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, Fry's in Atlanta has all the Mits in stock. Only the 831 still not on display...although I can see the box on the floor. They'll demo it for me this Friday
post #53 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Let us know what you think compared to the 732.
post #54 of 2652 Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let us know what you think compared to the 732.

I will...but I'llprobably post it in theo ther 831 732 thread since ths is a 732 owner's thread
post #55 of 2652 Old 09-14-2006, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister View Post

Well...I'm sort of...leaning toward a 831 but have been given some thoughts as to whether the 831 is worth the extra bucks...unless I can get a great deal.

Trust me, if you can pin down a deal on one model, don't you think you'd be able to pin down an equally good deal on the other? It's all relative and the markup is generally linear between models from the same manufacturer.

The $500 difference will go a long way towards an ext. warranty (if you're so inclined). Depending on tastes it'd also go a long way towards getting a stand.

post #56 of 2652 Old 09-14-2006, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

Mits recommends you leave the set on to enhance bulb life. Obviously, your utility bill will go up a tad but probably not enough to worry about v. a new bulb.

I suspect , but don't know, that a lower setting will enhance bulb life.

Quickstart mode (recommended by Mfr as well as by a servicer I trust) should give you longer overall service life out of your lamp than setting it on low power mode.

The power difference is 6 watts in low power mode vs. 30 watts in quickstart. At an average 15¢ per kwh, quickstart mode equates to approx $3.25 worth of elect. per month vs. 65¢ worth in LP mode. Considering LP mode is said to be harder on the lamp it would seem that you might be stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

post #57 of 2652 Old 09-14-2006, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister View Post

Yes, Fry's in Atlanta has all the Mits in stock. Only the 831 still not on display...although I can see the box on the floor. They'll demo it for me this Friday

Somehow I never envisioned Fry's as being the ideal setting to fully appreciate the somtimes only subtle differences between models. Spending that kind of money I think I'd want to make the decision in a gentler, more refined atmosphere, maybe like in a Tweeter or HH Gregg store or possibly even in a Magnolia where the folks setting them up for display might accidentally have a clue.

post #58 of 2652 Old 09-14-2006, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

well, I wouldn't say that Fry's setting is perfect but it's actually dark. Yes I would prefer to see it at BB or HH Greg because you get a lot of those big industrial lighting reflection. BB and HH Gregg environment are much worse and that's what I want to see because my room has some large windows with indirect sunlight.
post #59 of 2652 Old 09-14-2006, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

Trust me, if you can pin down a deal on one model, don't you think you'd be able to pin down an equally good deal on the other? It's all relative and the markup is generally linear between models from the same manufacturer.

The $500 difference will go a long way towards an ext. warranty (if you're so inclined). Depending on tastes it'd also go a long way towards getting a stand.

But I have large windows in a smaller room ...so that's why the 831 is getting my attention.
post #60 of 2652 Old 09-14-2006, 07:04 AM

It sounds like others are in the same spot as me, trying to choose between the 732 and 831. I also wonder if by buying the 57 it may not make as much of a difference between the two as it might in a larger 65 or 73. Does this make any sense? Also, once I get it home and I stop comparing it with others, I may not know what I am missing. I know this is a issue with upper end stereo's!

So the question is do I pull the trigger on the 57732 ( I have seen one and I am happy with it) and don't even visit the store to see a 831, or would I have buyers remorse becuase the 831 is that much better once I see one?

The little guy on the right side of my shoulder tells me to be patient and let the store get a display in so I can see both and then judge for myself if it is worth the extra money, instead of listening to other opinions about the difference between the two. I normally listen to the guy on my left side. Somebody talk me down!!!!
Tennispro
Reply Rear Projection Units