2007 Mitsubishi 732 series Owner's Thread (57732, 65732, 73732) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2650 Old 10-23-2006, 10:20 AM
rpr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post

Well, I just moved my 52525 to the basement and bought the 57732 for the living room. Man this set is awesome and it blows away the older Mits 52525.

Two questions/issues:

1) My set has quite a bit of "black crush". While the blacks are very deep, I can not tweak this set to distinguish very well betweeen different shades of black. The Dark Field Imager makes little, if any, difference.

2) Using the HDMI cable, I get quite a bit of pixelation in areas where there are fast motion when the picture initially switches to a new shot/scene. It disappears after a second, but it is very noticeable. Is this normal using the HDMI (all digital) cable? Do I need a higher quality cable or should I go back to component connections?

Any help?

Anybody???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2650 Old 10-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post

Using the HDMI cable, I get quite a bit of pixelation in areas where there are fast motion when the picture initially switches to a new shot/scene. It disappears after a second, but it is very noticeable. Is this normal using the HDMI (all digital) cable? Do I need a higher quality cable or should I go back to component connections?

The set is simply not hiding the picture while it finishes fully synching to the signal. Other sets hide the picture during this period, but then it takes longer for any picture to display.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #723 of 2650 Old 10-23-2006, 03:04 PM

I see a complaint about SSE. Does this mean "silk screen effect?" (Don't laugh!)

Is that the tiny sparkle I see from the screen on white scenes.... when I'm standing ONE FOOT AWAY?
post #724 of 2650 Old 10-23-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benseattle View Post

I see a complaint about SSE. Does this mean "silk screen effect?" (Don't laugh!)

Is that the tiny sparkle I see from the screen on white scenes.... when I'm standing ONE FOOT AWAY?

Yes and it's visable on my WD-57732 by my eyes at 11-ft.
post #725 of 2650 Old 10-23-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP111 View Post

Yes and it's visable on my WD-57732 by my eyes at 11-ft.

Well, I stopped into Fry's again today to see if this SSE business was anything I should be concerned about. My goodness.... with plenty of effort I saw the dreaded Silk Screen Effect on EVERY rear-projection set they had: the best JVC DiLa, Sony A2000, all Samsungs and the Mits 732 and 831. Of course, I saw it only on the biggest, whitest scenes -- and only when I just STARED at the screen.

I suppose that if someone chooses to get hung up on a TV picture that is all-but-perfect, if they just can't wait to find a flaw, no matter how minor or imagined, well..... so be it. Or sit 30 feet away. Or don't watch TV.

Happy viewing.
post #726 of 2650 Old 10-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benseattle View Post

I suppose that if someone chooses to get hung up on a TV picture that is all-but-perfect, if they just can't wait to find a flaw, no matter how minor or imagined, well..... so be it. Or sit 30 feet away. Or don't watch TV.

Exactly so. The perfect TV does not yet exist. You have to decide which flaws bother you the least.

You also have to stop watching your TV as a piece of technology and start watching the show. Most people don't buy a TV in order to work as an unpaid audio/visual equipment reviewer.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #727 of 2650 Old 10-24-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

An "isobaric" chamber? Is this the latest audiophile trend. LOL. You meant anechoic, right? I suspect you would not hear much if listening in an isobaric environment.

Of course, you are correct about the room lighting effect, but what point are you trying to make?

Oops....yea...anechoic....my bad.

I just would like people to try out my set up and give their opinion on a level playing field (Unlike like Kenny Rogers).

"I AM WE TODD IT....I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT." -Albert Einstein
post #728 of 2650 Old 10-24-2006, 09:29 PM

now does the 732 actually produce a 1080p image through hdmi? I was checking out the instructions and to me it looks like it only does 1080p through the pc connection
post #729 of 2650 Old 10-25-2006, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangedup View Post

Oops....yea...anechoic....my bad.

I just would like people to try out my set up and give their opinion on a level playing field (Unlike like Kenny Rogers).

The only way to level the playing field is to properly calibrate the set. This is what people don't seem to get about transferring settings. Now, with some assumptions about where the gray scale is to start with, you can generalize about the direction that some settings are going to need to go, but it is just a ballpark. From there you need to see what works best ina given application. There is nothing wrong with experimenting and visually adjusting the sets, just realize that other people's settings are not likely to be more than approximations for the consumer controls, and for gray scale settings even poorer approximations.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #730 of 2650 Old 10-25-2006, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post

now does the 732 actually produce a 1080p image through hdmi? I was checking out the instructions and to me it looks like it only does 1080p through the pc connection

All the 2007 Mits DLP sets are 1080P native mode.
Feed it whatever content you wish on any input you choose, the display will still (always) be 1080P. True certain inputs can only process certain resolution formats, but the onscreen display will still be scaled to (or de-interlaced and scaled to) 1080P, as necessary.

Just keep in mind the GIGO effect; (Garbage In = Garbage Out)

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #731 of 2650 Old 10-25-2006, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

All the 2007 Mits DLP sets are 1080P native mode.
Feed it whatever content you wish on any input you choose, the display will still (always) be 1080P. True certain inputs can only process certain resolution formats, but the onscreen display will still be scaled to (or de-interlaced and scaled to) 1080P, as necessary.

Just keep in mind the GIGO effect; (Garbage In = Garbage Out)

Ok just checkin...i love this tv...but the manual 's specification page was a little confusing
Thanks
post #732 of 2650 Old 10-25-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post

When the TV is off, are you still supposed to hear the fan running? How many of you hear this? I don't hear anything and Mitsubishi says I should still hear the fan when the tv is off? Please confirm if this is true.

I'm trying to diagnose a potential problem with my 57-732
Thank you!

There is a fan that cools the lamp that will continue for about 1 min after the TV is powered down. It would be located near the left (from front) side of the TV. If the fan is active you will feel the air out of that side vent.

Why don't you explain more about your problem and maybe someone in this thread can help diagnose it.
post #733 of 2650 Old 10-25-2006, 02:37 PM

does thwe 732 do 1:1 pixel mapping?
post #734 of 2650 Old 10-25-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post

does thwe 732 do 1:1 pixel mapping?

Not without a special "engineering remote". Unless you can pay someone to fly out from Korea, I assume the answer is NO
post #735 of 2650 Old 10-25-2006, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post

Not without a special "engineering remote". Unless you can pay someone to fly out from Korea, I assume the answer is NO

Your assumption is wrong. All the 2007 Mits sets can do 1:1 pixel mapping, that's what "True1080p" means. If you aren't getting 1:1 it's because you need to update your video card (or maybe its drivers).
post #736 of 2650 Old 10-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn View Post

Your assumption is wrong. All the 2007 Mits sets can do 1:1 pixel mapping, that's what "True1080p" means. If you aren't getting 1:1 it's because you need to update your video card (or maybe its drivers).

I believe he is referring to reducing the overscan. If not, my assumption is wrong.
post #737 of 2650 Old 10-26-2006, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe he is referring to reducing the overscan. If not, my assumption is wrong.

Maybe, but 1:1 pixel mapping and 0% overscan are completely separate issues. The 732's can most definitely do 1:1 pixel mapping. And in fact you can get a Windows Desktop with no overscan and 1:1 pixel mapping if you use the right video card, it just won't be a 1920x1080 desktop.
post #738 of 2650 Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post

Korea??
post #739 of 2650 Old 10-26-2006, 12:38 PM

is there a way to sort the channel order for the TV Guide provided by Mitsubishi?

It appears to be sorted alphabetically. I have cable and I would prefer to sort by channel number so that the HD channels are bunched together.

any way to do this?

thanks
post #740 of 2650 Old 10-28-2006, 09:36 PM

Got mine about a week ago. Great picture (much better than last years Sony A10 I had for a while) but annoyingly slow menu performance. When I input a channel number I have to press Enter or else it sits there for 5 seconds. Is this how it supposed to work? Anyway, at least the picture is good. There is also a bit of fan noise but I can live with that. Works great with my HTPC using NVidia card and DVI connection. Great picture for games too. I like the useful picture aspect modes. SD programs look good too if the signal is good. Over the air tuner could be more sensitive too.

However, I was thinking I would've been better off just getting the 57731 as basically I don't use any of the extra settings the 732 has (DFI, etc.) as you can see from my settings below. So given these settings would the 731 have the same picture quality? I paid 200 less at Tweeters than what it's currently advertised at at Costco. Is there a better price?

Here are my settings for night-time DVD viewing in a dark room:

Deep Field Imager: OFF - it kills quite a bit of the dark detail for my taste
Sharpedge: OFF - horrible pretty much everywhere

Video Noise: OFF - anything else will introduce weird image floating artifacts on moving subjects on screen. Try switching back and forth and you'll see strange ghosting and brake-up of shapes. It's hard to explain but it's definitely there. It did reduce video noise but at a price I'm not willing to pay.

Picture Mode: NATURAL - do the other two have all the same possible settings? At first it seemed as if the Bright and Brilliant modes had some hidden settings too that made them different. Like I tried to make all three look the same but there are still different a bit.

Contrast: 26 - for light room I use 31
Brightness: 22 - for light room I use 31
Color: 36 - saturation checked with blue filter
Tint: 31 (default)
Sharpness: 31
Color Temp: HIGH

Perfect Color and Tint settings are at default.

It has a lot fewer settings than an SXRD. Is this all that can be adjusted? I'll compare them side by side soon as I'll get a 55" Sony also.
post #741 of 2650 Old 10-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutyafal View Post

However, I was thinking I would've been better off just getting the 57731 as basically I don't use any of the extra settings the 732 has (DFI, etc.) as you can see from my settings below. So given these settings would the 731 have the same picture quality?

It has a lot fewer settings than an SXRD. Is this all that can be adjusted?

The 732 and 831 have what Mitsubishi calls the Dark Detailer. It's an auto-iris that significantly improves contrast ratio, black levels and dark picture detail, as compared to the 731.

It's also possible (but not proven) that the 732 is better at one or more of scaling, deinterlacing or inverse telecine (the procedure by which 24 fps film-based programming that has been conveted to an interlaced format at 60 fps is converted to 60 fps progressive scan.)

The only other adjustment that should be mentioned is the one that controls whether the set will attempt to automatically detect when inverse telecine should be used, and use it. That setting is only reachable from the main menu. From the main menu, select "audio/video," then scroll 3 columns to the right to the two radio buttons whose label (on the bottom) is "Film Mode." Usually, that should be set to "Auto."

post #742 of 2650 Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn View Post

I posted this in the big 73x/831 thread but have a feeling it's going to get lost in the shuffle.

For those hooking up a PC to the DVI port, I'd like to get some feedback from you. I just got my set yesterday, unfortunately my HTPC hasn't been updated in a while so I've got an older AGP card. While it does have DVI port it doesn't seem capable of giving the mits the correct signal because even though the desktop is configured to 1920x1080 the TV is telling me it's a nonstandard signal. As a result I'm not getting a pixel-perfect display, instead the TV is downscaling the desktop a bit (instead of 2-3% overscan it looks like I have about 3-4% underscan, with black borders all around). The vid card is a Radon 9200 (I know, old), using some of the older ATI drivers (latest drivers no longer support this card).

So for those of you who have gotten a pixel-perfect computer display, can you tell me what vid card/drivers you're using, and whether you're plugging into the DVI port or HDMI?

Another thing I noticed, the computer input is missing some rather important video adjustments, namely picture mode (brilliant/bright/natural) and color temp (appears to be stuck on high). I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the "nonstandard video signal" or if it's a limitation Mitsubishi put on the DVI port. I hope it's not the latter, I really don't like the bluish tint to the high color setting (My old RPTV was calibrated to 6500K, and is my workstation PC).

I'm driving mine with a NVidia 6600 GT card. Native mode will underscan on mine about 1/2 inch all around. NVidia drivers are great in allowing to fix this via some adjustments. Now it fills the screen perfectly and while I don't have very good eyes I can still read most web pages from 13 feet away. When watching some 720P and 1080i demo files the picture detail was perfect.

Also, the menu is missing some of the settings because it treats the DVI input as a PC input with PC color space.
post #743 of 2650 Old 10-29-2006, 10:00 PM

I have a question. Anybody here gets network HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) through basic cable? I do and seem to have a slight problem. I have my 732 connected via digital out to my receiver for DD sound and I can get full 5.1 sound if the HD program has it through my speakers.

However, there is a sound drop out every couple of minutes for a second or so but it's not regular. Seems to happen on all HD channels over cable. No such problem over the air. When it happens the sound mutes for a sec or so and I can see my Onkyo receiver re-indicate the signal type (DD 2.0 or 5.1) as if I just tuned to the channel.

This didn't happen with the Sony A10 I had previously so I don't think it's the source. Seems like the HD tuner in this set is not as sensitive? Anybody has seen this? What could it be?
post #744 of 2650 Old 10-30-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:

I have a question. Anybody here gets network HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) through basic cable? I do and seem to have a slight problem. I have my 732 connected via digital out to my receiver for DD sound and I can get full 5.1 sound if the HD program has it through my speakers.

However, there is a sound drop out every couple of minutes for a second or so but it's not regular. Seems to happen on all HD channels over cable. No such problem over the air. When it happens the sound mutes for a sec or so and I can see my Onkyo receiver re-indicate the signal type (DD 2.0 or 5.1) as if I just tuned to the channel.

This didn't happen with the Sony A10 I had previously so I don't think it's the source. Seems like the HD tuner in this set is not as sensitive? Anybody has seen this? What could it be?

I do. I can try it tonight and see what happens. I send the coax digitial audio from the back of the TV to the AVR input and it that will automatically detect the type of audio. Dolby Digital etc. and set up the audio accordingly.

I normaly watch TV via the DVR so Im not sure what the direct in coax does to be honest but Ill try it tonight.
post #745 of 2650 Old 10-30-2006, 09:21 AM

Using the Mitsubishi, I can record any video including HD to a fireware recorder. It works pretty well and picture is great. But I dont seem to get any audio out via the digitial SPDIF output from the TV to the input on the AVR? Anyone knows if this should work?
thank you
post #746 of 2650 Old 10-30-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post

As far as on the computer you can choose 2 modes, Standard and reduced. Reduced scales down the 1080p picture to eliminate the overscan leaving about 1.5-2 inch black boarder around the image. Now since its scaling the 1080p to less than 1080p it softens the image some what but still is usable. In standard it runs pixel mapped which results in overscan BUT THE PICTURE IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! no joke, the picture is so sharp if i ran my hand down the screen id get cut. Now heres the downside, since its running as a computer monitor in this fashion, I get no overscan compensation in the the nvidia driver ( im using a 7900gt ) and any attemp to use powerstip results basicly with an un usable signal. So I think you want to have your cake and eat it to ( pixle mapped with no overscan ) Im thinking where going to have to use the HDMI input. Ill try that when I get time, maybe tonight.

I'm running my 57732 through a DVI cable in STANDARD mode with overscan adjustmen to get perfect 100% screen fill. I have a NVidia 6600GT card with MCE drivers. If you want we can exchange settings to see what is different.

My problem was when I was using component cables the first time I could adjust overscan comp to have the picture fill the screen perfectly then I messed around with lower resolutions and now when I go back to the original settings I don't have enough overscan range to fill the screen ?!? Oh well, DVI works better anyway...
post #747 of 2650 Old 10-30-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Seems like this happens to me also, occasionally. However, I have the audio wired from STB direct to AVR, bypassing the TV. I wonder if it is the source after all? What is your cable system?
post #748 of 2650 Old 10-30-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKane View Post

Seems like this happens to me also, occasionally. However, I have the audio wired from STB direct to AVR, bypassing the TV. I wonder if it is the source after all? What is your cable system?

Comcast Basic cable directly to ANT1. Maybe they do it on purpose to get you to buy into digital cable? I had the A10 last year for a few weeks and don't remember having this issue. We'll see. I'm getting the 55" SXRD to try out also tomorrow so that'll tell if it's the source.
post #749 of 2650 Old 10-30-2006, 09:27 PM

Just installed mine tonight. After my first set being ruined due to someone running a red light into the hhgregg truck Sending the driver to the hospital and the TV to the dump. I got another one delivered today. Now I have a couple of questions.

1. How many use the IR feature.
2. connected my DVD to component input 1 and cant get it to show the DVD video. Sound is making it but no video. Any ideas on how to fix that?
3. Does Directv or DISH have all of its channels as HD? not many choices on Cable Company only 8 channels HD

The set really looks good. Fiddled with format to get an awesome picture out of the box
post #750 of 2650 Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Okay..... I have read through most of this thread......, but I still have not seen a definative answer about the differences between the 732 and 831.

Several folks seem to think it is just so you can tell your friends you have the Diamond model, but other posts would indicate that their actually are some real differences......

Have they ever posted what the "real-deal" is on the differences? If so could someone post a link?

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page