2007 Mitsubishi 732 series Owner's Thread (57732, 65732, 73732) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2650 Old 09-19-2006, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm also going to get my 65732 calibrated in OCT or early Nov. I was told that you can not use the Toshiba HD DVD for calibration because of the color matrix is incorrect for SD DVD. Check out HD DVD thread about this problem. I just found out that the Mits have the CCA menu like the Samsungs but it is not activated yet. This is for the primary & secondary colors and gray scale to be used in calibration of the set. What was Mitsubishi thinking we need to call or email them about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered my 65732 today, got a great price (thanks, friend), going to be delivered Friday, along with an 8300 DVR from the cable company. Now all I need is a stand, cables, DVD player, cables, receiver (I am completely uneducated on sound), and lots of know how. But I'm seriously stoked nonetheless.
post #183 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 06:11 AM

Hello All -
I was reading this thread as I'm in the market for a new DLP and am seriously considering the Mits 57732. I have a few questions as I currently have a Samsung HLM507 and would like feedback from Mits owners:
1. How's the harmonics from the Color Wheel? (I just finished installing a new color wheel in Samsung)
2. How many lamp-hours are the Mits averaging?
3. Is there a dramatic difference from the 57732 and 57731?
post #184 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Goetz,
I can only answer number 3. ... YES
post #185 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahooslayer View Post

Just ordered my 65732 today, got a great price (thanks, friend), going to be delivered Friday, along with an 8300 DVR from the cable company. Now all I need is a stand, cables, DVD player, cables, receiver (I am completely uneducated on sound), and lots of know how. But I'm seriously stoked nonetheless.

I saved a ton on the stand by getting the BUSH stand from BB. Nice black glass w/2 shelves + heavy top, also dual cable management trays in back. Very good quality at a good price I thought. For DVD I bought the Oppo 971h, found it online.

The Bush stand has to be put together, takes about 90 minutes sober.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #186 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goetz View Post

2. How many lamp-hours are the Mits averaging?
3. Is there a dramatic difference from the 57732 and 57731?

• 2. The estimate I got from a Mits servicer is minimum 4000 hours. There's a service menu you can accesss to see how many hours you've accumulated.
  • 3. There sure is between the 65731 and 65732, greatly improved blacks. I'm sure you'd see this in the 57732 as well. Definitely worth the price difference.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #187 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKane View Post

I think if the videos went direct to the TV and audios went to the receiver, I would have to switch both boxes to switch inputs? Several non-technical folks watch TV in our house and I want to make it as easy as possible.

Maybe this is a late response, but I have my HDMI straight to TV and the digital out straight to my DENON. To make it easy on the wife, I purchased a harmony remote that when "watch DVR" is pressed, the TV input is changed to HDMI-1 and audio on my denon is switched to TV. When "watch DVD" is pressed, the TV input is switched to HDMI-2 and my Denon switched to DVD (audio).

Real easy. Thus, no need to spend the $$$ on a HDMI switching AVR, unless you need more than the 2 HDMI inputs.

Robert
post #188 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 01:23 PM

["Maybe this is a late response, but I have my HDMI straight to TV and the digital out straight to my DENON. To make it easy on the wife, I purchased a harmony remote that when "watch DVR" is pressed, the TV input is changed to HDMI-1 and audio on my denon is switched to TV. When "watch DVD" is pressed, the TV input is switched to HDMI-2 and my Denon switched to DVD (audio).
Real easy. Thus, no need to spend the $$$ on a HDMI switching AVR, unless you need more than the 2 HDMI inputs."

I have the same setup. It works like a charm (thought setting it up took a little brain power...the customer support was exceptional when I needed some guidance.)
post #189 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcalhany View Post

Maybe this is a late response, but I have my HDMI straight to TV and the digital out straight to my DENON. To make it easy on the wife, I purchased a harmony remote that when "watch DVR" is pressed, the TV input is changed to HDMI-1 and audio on my denon is switched to TV. When "watch DVD" is pressed, the TV input is switched to HDMI-2 and my Denon switched to DVD (audio).

I thought I read that the Mits DLP's will downmix the audio to 2-channel stereo in that scenario; the only way to get Dolby Digital from the Mits coax output is from the internal cable/ant tuner according to some recent posts.
post #190 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn View Post

I thought I read that the Mits DLP's will downmix the audio to 2-channel stereo in that scenario; the only way to get Dolby Digital from the Mits coax output is from the internal cable/ant tuner according to some recent posts.

"Maybe this is a late response, but I have my HDMI straight to TV and the digital out straight to my DENON. To make it easy on the wife, I purchased a harmony remote that when "watch DVR" is pressed, the TV input is changed to HDMI-1 and audio on my denon is switched to TV. When "watch DVD" is pressed, the TV input is switched to HDMI-2 and my Denon switched to DVD (audio)."

He has the Digital out from his DVR going straight to his Receiver, and therefore the TV is not in the Audio loop.

Cheers
Dan
post #191 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdan27 View Post

"Maybe this is a late response, but I have my HDMI straight to TV and the digital out straight to my DENON. To make it easy on the wife, I purchased a harmony remote that when "watch DVR" is pressed, the TV input is changed to HDMI-1 and audio on my denon is switched to TV. When "watch DVD" is pressed, the TV input is switched to HDMI-2 and my Denon switched to DVD (audio)."

He has the Digital out from his DVR going straight to his Receiver, and therefore the TV is not in the Audio loop.

Cheers
Dan

OK, the sentence is a bit ambiguous since it doesn't say which digital out and the Mits does have one. My understanding is that if you give the TV an HDMI signal containing audio, the audio passed from the MIts coax output is downmixed stereo PCM even if the HDMI audio was something else. I thought that was the scenario being discussed.

I agree with you conclusion though, and there are many ways to automate this type of switching (including Net Commaond on the TV, I think).
post #192 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:

I got the Oppo 970 that works well. Looking into reciever myself in preparation. Im thinking something like the Pioneer 1016. Not sure what all the HDMI input/outputt fuss is about with the recievers though as I dont see myself needing that. But I would make sure you get a receiver that has enough digital and /or optical inputs from all your devices. I wont be using 7.1 but you cant hardly find a reciever with only 5.1 nowadays. CNET has a nice series of reviews and ratings on receivers.

I want to be sure to get one that has the automatic room compensation and that supplies a microphone for that.
post #193 of 2650 Old 09-20-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

I saved a ton on the stand by getting the BUSH stand from BB. Nice black glass w/2 shelves + heavy top, also dual cable management trays in back. Very good quality at a good price I thought. For DVD I bought the Oppo 971h, found it online.

The Bush stand has to be put together, takes about 90 minutes sober.

Which Bush stand did you buy? Are you happy with the height of the unit on the stand, how close can you stand to the unit w/o loss of viewing angle? I was considering buying the matching Mits stand, but I'm concerned that there isn't enough space for all components on that one. Does anyone here have the MB-65GB? With regard to the DVD, why buy an Oppo when there are such inexpensive upconverting players available?
post #194 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 01:30 AM

Man, have you guys been over to the 831 owners thread? I think the sky is falling. Talk of shimmering, de-interlacing issues, etc., and that the tv does better with the 8300 STB via component than HDMI? I think I'm getting buyer's remorse and I haven't even received mine yet.
post #195 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Which Bush stand did you buy? Are you happy with the height of the unit on the stand, how close can you stand to the unit w/o loss of viewing angle? I was considering buying the matching Mits stand, but I'm concerned that there isn't enough space for all components on that one. Does anyone here have the MB-65GB? With regard to the DVD, why buy an Oppo when there are such inexpensive upconverting players available?

I briefly had one of the Mit WD-Y57 and the matching Mit base MB-57GB. I liked the height approx 17in. Plenty wide with plenty of space for components, bottom shelf is fixed with an additional adjustable middle glass shelf. I really liked how the base of the tv fit into a recess on the stand. All in all I thought it to be a nice stand but the cost was a little high.

Andy
post #196 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Man, have you guys been over to the 831 owners thread? I think the sky is falling. Talk of shimmering, de-interlacing issues, etc., and that the tv does better with the 8300 STB via component than HDMI? I think I'm getting buyer's remorse and I haven't even received mine yet.

Yeah I drove through there yesterday, like a bombed out village, far too much grief for my blood pressure meds. Could be a STB problem. HDMI problems were also present in early D* H20 STBs. I have no such problems on mine (65732 + H20).

One has to wonder tho, given the similarities and commonalities between models, if there's any chance of those nightmares migrating into the 732. I sure hope not. I've had mine starting on it's 3rd week now. Although we have not been glued to it, I've watched most of the FB games and some baseball that was in HD, all perfect PQ.

My only issue is with D* and their MPEG-4 locals, which just don't seem as sharp as comparable MPEG-2 and OTA.

post #197 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy A View Post

I briefly had one of the Mit WD-Y57 and the matching Mit base MB-57GB. I liked the height approx 17in. Plenty wide with plenty of space for components, bottom shelf is fixed with an additional adjustable middle glass shelf. I really liked how the base of the tv fit into a recess on the stand. All in all I thought it to be a nice stand but the cost was a little high.

Andy

All a matter of personal tastes I suppose. When we saw the Mits factory stand my wife & I both said "ugh" - too expensive for a piece of lumber. The all glass BUSH stand at BB (don't recall model now) was on sale for 249 at BB thru the Satd'y B4 Labor Day, regularly 299. The BUSH stand had good WAF and plenty wide & strong enough for the 65732 (rated for 165 lbs). It makes a very attractive addition to the entertainment center without having to squander 800 to a grand on something with a fancy brand name.

post #198 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Bush stand is the model VS74962 and I note it's gone up a trifle more, now MSRP of 319 currently "on sale" for 302.99 - Still a very nice stand (IMO) for the money.

It's higher than most at 22.9" but that gives you addt'l room on the shelves. Vertical viewing angle on DLPs is not that good on any of them, at least not when you're standing. Even sitting on the Bush stand you lose some noticeable brightness when standing (at distance of 12') - I suppose fartuer away it would be better. However, when seated, even sunk-in to an overstuffed couch, the height seems to be perfect. All in all if I had it to do over I would still get the Bush stand. We're very satisfied with it. Your opinion may vary..

The Oppo 971 was only 199 and I believe the 970 was something like 150, so neither is what I'd call expensive.

post #199 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

Yeah I drove through there yesterday, like a bombed out village, far too much grief for my blood pressure meds. Could be a STB problem. HDMI problems were also present in early D* H20 STBs. I have no such problems on mine (65732 + H20).

One has to wonder tho, given the similarities and commonalities between models, if there's any chance of those nightmares migrating into the 732. I sure hope not. I've had mine starting on it's 3rd week now. Although we have not been glued to it, I've watched most of the FB games and some baseball that was in HD, all perfect PQ.

My only issue is with D* and their MPEG-4 locals, which just don't seem as sharp as comparable MPEG-2 and OTA.

No problems at all on my end, either. Football looked great. Definitely a quality difference between broadcasts, but that's not the fault of the Mitsu. There are some very sensitive people over there (lots of flame wars in the past) so I think they're a bit flighty.
post #200 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stay calm there dude...we're just sorting out to see if any real problems exist. If you look at the last few threads, there's no serious issue yet that we can confirm.
post #201 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post

I should have chimed in earlier on this. But, to throw another option into the mix, I'd suggest giving the Home Theater Store a call to see which they use.

Heard back today, the Banker's Warranty Group EW from Home Theater Store is only available to THTS customers on TVs bought from them.

Not looking good. I really don't want the Mack because it's only 3 yrs (+ Mfr year). I'd love to have the ServiceNet plan except it's the most expensive of the ones available.

post #202 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

we need to start sharing more settings for the 731, 732
post #203 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

721?

As for 732 settings, has anybody played around much in the service menu yet?

What about discrete remote codes for input selection? (I use Marantz, similar to the Pronto).
post #204 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 02:03 PM

I just joined the ranks! We took delivery of our WD-73732 yesterday and I took a half day off from work to set it up. We finished buying it Tuesday, 09/19 and had the first one (see below for what I mean) delivered and installed in our house by 8:30 AM on 09/20!

I must say WOW!!! This thing is HUGE! We love the size, and the style of it.

However I think I need some help in setting it up. The SDTV signal from our SD Sat receiver into our TIVO and then into our TV does not seem as good as the PQ on our Panasonic PT-40LC12 with the same equipment. I stress seems because maybe I am more susceptible to PQ on this expensive and very large screen.

Could I run down how I set things up and get you experienced guys and gals to give me some pointers or suggestions?

EQUIPMENT:
DISPLAY: Mitsubishi WD-73732
DVD: Phillips $40 progressive scan with component video & digital audio outputs
SIGNAL SOURCE: D*** Satellite receiver with svideo, composite, & coax video and analog audio outputs
DVR: Series 2 TiVo SD with svideo, composite, & coax video and analog audio outputs
GAMING: PS2 with composite & optical video and analog audio outputs
RECIEVER: Onkyo TX-SR604B that has lots of inputs and outputs. It has two digital coax in and 1 digital coax out, and has 4 optical in and 1 optical out. 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out but it will not convert analog to HDMI.

This is what I have done so far. The salesman talked me into entry-level Monster cables that cost $300! for 1 HDMI 6ft, 2 Digital Coax 6 ft, 1 Optical 6ft, and 1 Component 6ft.

Is Monster cable really going to make a difference in my PQ?

I decided I will use only the Monster Optical that was reasonable at about $20. Then I went to Home Depot and bought GE wiring for $200 (all with gold connectors) and set everything up like this.

1. Satellite Receiver goes into TiVo via svideo and analog audio
2. TiVo goes into the TV via svideo and analog audio on INPUT 1 (named DVR)
3. DVD video goes into TV via composite cable (named DVD)
a. DVD audio goes into Onkyo via digital coax
4. Playstation 2 is not setup yet.
a. How should I connect PS2? Optical into Onkyo, and HDMI into TV, w/ analog audio into Onkyo? Will this even work?
5. How should I send my non DVD audio into my receiver? Use the digital out?

Then, things will change on Sunday when I have my HD DVR installed from D*** and replace the SD satellite receiver and TiVo.

Finally, I would also like to mention that reflections appear in weird shapes on this screen. We actually had our TV exchanged (the same day the first one was delivered) because it looked like the screen had a defect on the inside. We couldn't wipe it off. It was an overcast day outside and the blinds to the side of the TV were open. When they brought the second TV we saw a similar swirl looking mark on the screen and we tried closing the blinds and it went away. It was really strange because it just looked like a smeared handprint but we couldn't wipe it off.

Last thing. What about professional calibration? It sounds expensive. Do I really need it? I don't have a professionally trained eye for PQ but I do have a picky one. Could I do it myself just as well as a professional or is this one of those tasks that experience is well worth the $$?
post #205 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I'm just curious...could someone with the last Harry Potter dvd check out the scene where he's walking through the halls of the school in the dark using his wand as a light? I'm basically curious about light to dark transition. Any banding or anything odd?
post #206 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry but you just got taken by the samesman for the $300 in cable. You should have gone to monoprice online and got some.

Professional caibration? I'm under the impression that we may not need it. These sets look awefully good right out of the box.
post #207 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to get a quick unscientific poll.

To 732 owners.... why did you chose this set over the 831?
post #208 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister View Post

First, price...second, features benefit. To me there was less value in the difference (need) between the 732/831 as compared to the 731/732
post #209 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister View Post

I second Closet Geek. Value = features to price ratio.

I also did a rough calculation of $68.48 per stated inch of screen size for my 73732 and I think that beats alot of plasmas in sheer size, features (1080p) and price per inch of stated screen size.
post #210 of 2650 Old 09-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roozter View Post

The SDTV signal from our SD Sat receiver into our TIVO and then into our TV does not seem as good as the PQ on our Panasonic PT-40LC12 with the same equipment.

The SD will get a bit better when you get away from the s-video. Also consider the fact that you can't compare at the same viewing distance between a 40" and a 73" (from the same distance, the 73 will look worse)

Quote:

This is what I have done so far. The salesman talked me into entry-level Monster cables that cost $300! for 1 HDMI 6ft, 2 Digital Coax 6 ft, 1 Optical 6ft, and 1 Component 6ft.

Is Monster cable really going to make a difference in my PQ?

I decided I will use only the Monster Optical that was reasonable at about $20. Then I went to Home Depot and bought GE wiring for $200

Sorry to say, but you got completely taken. For a complete setup using the best cables available from MonoPrice (which are some of the best out there), you would be spending under $100. In the digital world, "expensive" cables mean next to nothing for cable runs under 15ft.

Quote:

...set everything up like this.

1. Satellite Receiver goes into TiVo via svideo and analog audio
2. TiVo goes into the TV via svideo and analog audio on INPUT 1 (named DVR)
3. DVD video goes into TV via composite cable (named DVD)
a. DVD audio goes into Onkyo via digital coax
4. Playstation 2 is not setup yet.
a. How should I connect PS2? Optical into Onkyo, and HDMI into TV, w/ analog audio into Onkyo? Will this even work?
5. How should I send my non DVD audio into my receiver? Use the digital out?

1. moot after sunday
2. moot after sunday
3. ok, make sure you calibrate video
4. ps2-hdmi-tv & ps2-optical-Onkyo
5. ?Where is the audio coming from?

Quote:

Finally, I would also like to mention that reflections appear in weird shapes on this screen.

Is the set on or off? If off, are you seeing the weird shape(s) as a lighter-colored blob near the center of the screen? (This is normal and is a reflection of ambient light off of the mirror, goes away when set is on)

Quote:

Last thing. What about professional calibration?

If you're rich, why not?
Otherwise:

HDNet on tuesday mornings around 5am (check your listings) sends out test patterns you can use to perform a basic calibration between your satellite box and the TV.

Get a decent calibration disc like Avia or DVE and calibrate your set to your DVD player.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page