2007 Mitsubishi 732 series Owner's Thread (57732, 65732, 73732) - Page 86 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2551 of 2650 Old 08-14-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally replaced the lamp on my 65732 yesterday. Still going strong but had begun to darken noticeably (to the point that it unarguably needed to be replaced). This lamp (OSRAM) ran for an amazing 8,177 hours (total hours on set = 16230) and upon removal still showed no signs of overheating but quite a bit of dust had accumulated on the reflector. This lamp is one on which I had completely removed the microfine filter screen, as recommended by a Phillips tech note, which I think lends much credence to the theory that the root cause of "premature" lamp failures (those happening at 3~4,000 hours) is simply a matter of inadequate ventilation as a direct result of the filter screen (a) greatly impeding airflow even when clean and (b) totally obstructing airflow once becoming clogged with lint.

The accumulated dust was very easily (and completely) removed with a couple squirts from a spray can of pressurized air (3M Dust Remover). The accumulated dust no doubt contributed to the darkening of the display. In fact, I was tempted to put the old lamp back in after cleaning it, but instead proceeded with the replacement and put the old one back in the box on the shelf to keep on hand as a working spare. (It's a complete unit, lamp & housing). Ordinarily after changing a lamp I'd order a replacement, but won't this time.

Bottom line, I see this (lint clogging the filter screen) as being a routine maintenance item needing attention at probably no greater than 6-month intervals with the original screen still in place, or else remove the microfine mesh screen altogether and blow the dust off the lamp reflector at 12 month intervals.

For reference, I originally installed this lamp on 8/23/09, almost 2 years ago to the day.

Others' thoughts and input welcomed.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2650 Old 08-15-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
16k hours on the set. Amazing.
You should post this in the "defective" Mit's thread.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2553 of 2650 Old 08-15-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

16k hours on the set. Amazing.
You should post this in the "defective" Mit's thread.

I'm having a hard time understanding why that thread still even exists. The OP, who had a total of three posts, deleted the first one, and then was never heard from again. My definition of troll.

Oh and just to stay on topic in this thread... thanks for the info Cap'n. This gives me hope for more life out of my lamp. I also have a spare assembly, but I'm going to be sure I look over the vent screen when I tackle the lens cleaning later on this week. (stand by videobruce in case I run into trouble )

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #2554 of 2650 Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It seems to be typical newbie 'kid', still wet behind the ears, with his mobile electronic 'toy' in his hands.

The forum wasn't like that five years ago. All you see now is hundreds of one time posters that ask a question, but never return.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2555 of 2650 Old 08-19-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

...And the results are amazing. I knew when I turned on my Blu-ray player and no longer saw a white glow around the white text logo on a black background that the cleaning was well worth the effort and anxiety. I was actually contemplating replacing my DLP TV with a plasma because for about the last year or so I was becoming quite disappointed with my TV's picture quality. No more. Everything about the picture from detail to color quality is such a major improvement. Black text on white backgrounds is bold and well defined. I could go on and on but it's mostly already been said, so I'll let the pictures do the rest...

The patient:

The operating table:

This picture of the lens before the cleaning is a bit blurry as this morning's caffeine was coursing through my veins, but I think the haze is detectable:

A picture with lens cleaning fluid applied:

And finally, the after:

And the consumables used:

It took 10 of the double-sided q-tips along with 5 Kim-wipe lint free cleaning wipes to get the lens clean. That was the tough part. I don't know if it's because of the cleaning fluid or the lens surface, but it was difficult to get all of the streaks removed, and it seemed like the fluid took forever to dry, but again, very much worth the effort.

I now have renewed faith in the picture quality of my TV, and yeah I think I'll keep it.

A big thanks to videbruce for his effort in detailing this cleaning procedure. <- = thumbsup!

post #2556 of 2650 Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Great job on the lens/LE cleaning!

16k+ hours on my 65732 doesn't seem that unusual, as it's what I bought the set for. At the original purchase price back when the 65732 was first available ($3k) it meant a major purchase & something I wasn't going to be willing to part with a couple or so years into ownership as so many others have done. I have trouble throwing away 3 grand.

What I do find surprising is I have had *NONE* of the various maladys so many others have reported & complained about. In fact I have never (yet) had the need to clean the LE, as I still have no halos. The set is fully recessed into a deep TV niche in the wall which has positive ventilation with the aid of a 4" muffin fan that sits near the left side exhaust vent (where all the heat is). We do see a lot of lint and dust buildup there, likely as a result of the fan, but the crud is all exterior. The entire HE system is connected to a TrippLite OmniSmart 1400 UPS to outsmart the electric company and avoid power sags and surges & occasional brief outages that they seem to enjoy inflicting upon us, which may also be contributing to a very positive ownership experience. In the aftermath of Hurricane IKE it also ran just fine on the generator (still with the UPS inline for buck 'n boost) as well as to keep the set running through the 10 minute generator refueling every 8 hours.

I feel that just as with the lamp, heat is the enemy of the entire assembly and it doesn't take much effort to move that heat away - if only people would trouble themselves to do it.

I also remember when these sets were new the countless number of folks with hypersensitive hearing whining about LE fan & color wheel noise. Well, yeah, if you keep the volume really low and sit right in front of the thing you probably will hear it, but gee whiz, who operates their TV like that?

All in all I'd have to say the single best investment I made was having UMR (Jeff Meyer @ Accucal) come over and calibrate it while he still lived just a few miles down the road from us. Even with lamp changes I think staying with OEM (Osram) lamps has helped make UMR's original adjustments still valid, though it'd be interesting to see the results of recalibration now that the set has several thousand hours on it. It's on an average of 12 hours a day, every day.

Yes, it's an energy pig, but tell me what decent-looking 65" display isn't? The only real complaint I can come up with is the amount of heat the thing puts out.

The biggest positive is the gorgeous display and wide viewing angle, especially when compared to any of the other technologies. Hopefully we'll get another 16,000 hours out of it.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #2557 of 2650 Old 08-20-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good job rich3fan.

Post added to the decicated thread here;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=lens

I would not recommend spraying or dripping drops of lens cleaner on that lens.
What will happen is the excess runs down the sides and even extra swabs can't remove all of it. When you reassemble the unit the excess moisture will fog up big time until it dissipates.

I also don't recommend cotton swabs since they are full of lint. use lens cleaning tissues instead.

post #2558 of 2650 Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, it's an energy pig
No it's not. Just the opposite.
Take a closer look at power consumption flat panels, especially Plasmas!

post #2559 of 2650 Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys.
been a member for quite a while. the forum has answered countless questions for me, without having to actually post them. until now.

i'm a little stumped here.
i have a 65732. i love the set. lately (past few months) i've been getting this sort of behavior and i can't seem to find a concrete answer by combing the forums:

i turn on the set and sporadically, it shuts off and i get a solid red lamp light and code 34 along with it. it happens some times once a night, or 4-5 times or not at all.... and sometimes won't stay on for more than a minute unless i let it set for a good few hours or better.

like i mentioned, i've done quite a bit of digging and it seems like it's either gonna be a ballast issue or the capacitors are at fault?
i've plenty of experience with soldering on boards and i'm competent besides, so i'd fancy fixing it myself, as the set is out of warranty at this point and i rather like it and have no desire to replace it with a newer one.

so, does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
am i on the right track or perhaps it's an entirely different problem?

any and all input is well BEYOND appreciated, so thanks to all who chime in, in advance!
post #2560 of 2650 Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 PM

so i just for craps and grins, i took the lamp hosing out to take a look at things.
i had replaced it some time ago- in october of 2009.
the original lamp had 6083 hours on it., this one (while i haven't checked the counter recently) probably had about 3k hours on it.
so, i took out the housing and noticed that there was an abundance of what looked like "dust" that in the lamp itself. there was some of it left where the housing mounts in the set, as well.
so i also noticed that as i was inspecting it, i could hear a little bit of something jiggling around in the housing. i could just see it through the screen. a small chunk of something around 2 mm and irregular. like a tiny grape nut. really couldn't tell what it was, though.
so i put the lamp back in the set and turned it on to see what would happen.
same thing. stayed on for a minute, then shut off with the solid red lamp light.
i did notice however, that when the lamp first came on, it was quite a bit brighter for the first 10-15 seconds, then it got darker.
i've noticed this before, but didn't really think much of it until now.

can't help but wonder- maybe this is just a bunk lamp that needs replacing sooner than i had thought?
i guess that doesn't really explain why it still comes on- i mean, when a lamp is bad, will it even come on at all?
post #2561 of 2650 Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you done a search before posting?
This/these issues are well documented in separate threads;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1310024
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1256432

post #2562 of 2650 Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 AM

thanks for the head's up, bruce.

i have done alot of searching. i think the problem was i was looking for the wrong things.
it never really occurred to me to just search for lamp failure threads, because this lamp was exhibiting a different behavior than when my first one died.
so i naturally thought it was a bigger issue.

i see that the lamp sensor might be in question, as well.
i seem to remember (but may be mistaken) reading that there are 2 sensors in these sets? i have seen the one, by way of some of your pictures as well as seen it in the cabinet, but if there is another, i'd like to be able to replace them both at the same time if need be.

i think at any rate, i'll get a new lamp and remove the screen on the housing and then see what happens.
hopefully that'll be the rub!
thanks again for chiming in and for the wealth of info that i've seen you're the author of.
post #2563 of 2650 Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Lamp first, ballast second.

post #2564 of 2650 Old 08-24-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

Great job on the lens/LE cleaning!

Thanks Cap'n!

Quote:

16k+ hours on my 65732 doesn't seem that unusual, as it's what I bought the set for. At the original purchase price back when the 65732 was first available ($3k) it meant a major purchase & something I wasn't going to be willing to part with a couple or so years into ownership as so many others have done. I have trouble throwing away 3 grand.

I'm convinced that there were two factors that contributed to the demise of my first lamp: a clogged ventilation screen, and an ambient room temp of around 80 - 83 degrees during the long summer days here in Texas. My living room windows face the setting sun, and the room is exposed to that sunlight from about 3 pm until 9 pm during the peak summer hours. The problem is, there's only one A/C vent for this room, which is the largest room in the house. Stupid planning on the home builder's part. I fixed that problem by installing an 8000 BTU window unit, and now room temps are about 75 degrees. When I pulled the lamp assy out before this LE cleaning, I checked for any of that fine powder that was clogging the vent previously and there was none. But I'll certainly keep an eye on that going forward.

I'm certainly all about bang-for-the-buck and squeezing as much life out of my purchases as well because yes, these sets are/were a major investment. I bought mine through an Employee Purchase program as my company supplies a major component to DLP tech, and I believe Mitsubishi's got this technology very well mastered.
Quote:

What I do find surprising is I have had *NONE* of the various maladys so many others have reported & complained about. In fact I have never (yet) had the need to clean the LE, as I still have no halos. The set is fully recessed into a deep TV niche in the wall which has positive ventilation with the aid of a 4" muffin fan that sits near the left side exhaust vent (where all the heat is). We do see a lot of lint and dust buildup there, likely as a result of the fan, but the crud is all exterior. The entire HE system is connected to a TrippLite OmniSmart 1400 UPS to outsmart the electric company and avoid power sags and surges & occasional brief outages that they seem to enjoy inflicting upon us, which may also be contributing to a very positive ownership experience. In the aftermath of Hurricane IKE it also ran just fine on the generator (still with the UPS inline for buck 'n boost) as well as to keep the set running through the 10 minute generator refueling every 8 hours.

Yeah I cringe and panic whenever we lose power, although it rarely happens here, and I scramble to turn off power strips before it comes back up. A good UPS system has been on my list for a while if for no other reason than to keep the DVR powered so I don't lose a recording and it sounds like you're happy with your TrippLite. I'll look into that model.

I agree that keeping these HDTV's cool will definately contribute to their longevity; there's plenty of open space around mine, and I think the window unit is really going to help in my situation.

Quote:

I feel that just as with the lamp, heat is the enemy of the entire assembly and it doesn't take much effort to move that heat away - if only people would trouble themselves to do it.

I also remember when these sets were new the countless number of folks with hypersensitive hearing whining about LE fan & color wheel noise. Well, yeah, if you keep the volume really low and sit right in front of the thing you probably will hear it, but gee whiz, who operates their TV like that?

The ONLY time I hear the wheel and fan is when it first powers on. Never had an issue with TV noise. My B&W's reassure me all the time that I'll never have to worry about it.

Quote:

All in all I'd have to say the single best investment I made was having UMR (Jeff Meyer @ Accucal) come over and calibrate it while he still lived just a few miles down the road from us. Even with lamp changes I think staying with OEM (Osram) lamps has helped make UMR's original adjustments still valid, though it'd be interesting to see the results of recalibration now that the set has several thousand hours on it. It's on an average of 12 hours a day, every day.

I've always been really bad when it comes to adjusting picture and color. It would take me months of adjusting my old CRT TV's before I was finally able to say yeah, that looks about right, and my Mits is at the factory settings mainly because I'm just afraid to touch the color adjustments. Somewhere in this thread someone listed their settings... I'll have to look. I do also think about just paying someone to do a professional cal. I'm sure it's worth the money, and now that I've got a clean path in the LE that makes it even more viable.
Quote:

Yes, it's an energy pig, but tell me what decent-looking 65" display isn't? The only real complaint I can come up with is the amount of heat the thing puts out.

The biggest positive is the gorgeous display and wide viewing angle, especially when compared to any of the other technologies. Hopefully we'll get another 16,000 hours out of it.

My 57" is the perfect size for my viewing space and the supporting A/V cabinetry works well in my living room. Even though I was coming from a 27" CRT, I wanted something that was going to make a big splash to my senses, so I said why not. I'm old and my brain & eyes like things to look big. My set will have been in service for five years next March, and yeah, here's hoping for another five.

post #2565 of 2650 Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good job rich3fan.

Post added to the decicated thread here;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=lens

Whoops! I guess I was more concerned about ensuring I had good pictures to post, and didn't even realize they should've been posted in the cleaning thread.
Quote:

I would not recommend spraying or dripping drops of lens cleaner on that lens.
What will happen is the excess runs down the sides and even extra swabs can't remove all of it. When you reassemble the unit the excess moisture will fog up big time until it dissipates.

I also don't recommend cotton swabs since they are full of lint. use lens cleaning tissues instead.

So to go into more detail... what I actually did, after realizing that using q-tips by themselves was pretty much futile, I'd take each kim-wipe and fold it so it would be small enough to fit into the tube, then gently pushed each one I used down onto the lens, and used the q-tips to move the wipe around on the lens. My biggest fear was damaging the Iris, and there were times where it actually did move, but that was greatly reduced by using the skinny q-tip and not my fat finger.

The cotton swabs came out of a previously unopened bag; the bag indicates that these are made specifically for use on optics, so I was confident there would be no issues with lint. I saw none after I finished. The solution is indicated as "anti-fog, alcohol and ammonia free", and "leaves no residue". Again, I was confident that I found a quality product that would leave such a sensitive lens free of anything in the way of contaminents, and I highly recommend this cleaning solution to anyone who may be wondering exactly what to use for this procedure. I may have missed the post in this or the other thread, but AFAIK, no specific cleaning fluid was mentioned.

The proof that I did EVERYTHING right becomes crystal clear to me every time I turn on my HDTV. That's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned.

post #2566 of 2650 Old 09-02-2011, 03:26 PM

just wanted to pipe in and give an update to my situation:

ordered a new lamp. that was the problem in and of itself.
guess i really can't complain. as it turned out- that lamp had over 6k hours on it once i got the new one installed and checked the counter to see where things were at.

deeply jubilant, i was feeling spry- so i followed bruce's tutorial on cleaning the lenses, as i was having the hazy/blooming issue. my geometry also badly needed to be tweaked.
all said and done, the whole process wasn't nearly the pain in pooter i though it was gonna be.
i did have quite a bit of condensation and dust on the inner lens.
so after a few hours of cleaning/dusting, it's sic and span in the set and i am reminded once again just exactly why i love my TV.
i had actually forgotten the picture was THAT good.
thanks alot to all the guys (and especially bruce) for the invaluable info found on these forums. i love to do stuff myself instead of paying a tech, if i can at all help it. so this whole little adventure was entirely worth it.
so, 5 years and 12k hours later and i'm still digging on my set.
now i just gotta figure out how to adjust the overscan and i'll be plenty satisfied.
thanks again. all!
post #2567 of 2650 Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Post that in that 'hate Mits' thread.

post #2568 of 2650 Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 AM

here's another shout-out to videobruce for the lens cleaning procedure. I worked on it yesterday, the blooming has been eradicated, and the great picture is back. Thanks again!

Gerry
post #2569 of 2650 Old 09-06-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Again, I wasn't the one that came up with the idea, just the one that spent hours complying data, photos and putting a thread together.
Thanks.

Wait until Mits gets the bill.

post #2570 of 2650 Old 12-07-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Bottom line, Mits firmware 8.04 fixes the problem I was having with the Multistream CableCard being improperly recognized. Equally interesting, Comcast tech support was right, they told me I likely needed a firmware upgrade for my TV. Simply amazing.

Last week I got a cablecard when i upgraded my tv service. Of course, comcast gave me one of the multi-stream cards and i didn't realize it. (Last time I used a cablecard 4 years ago, i don't think they existed...or at least they were rare) So, my tv didn't recognize it. I have firmware 8.01.

I called Mits support, And, like above, they said my firmware was too old. He didn't explain why, but reading this thread now, i understand it was because of this multi-stream cablecard and my old firmware.

They shipped me a new firmware on compactflash, free of charge. I received it last night, but i didn't see it at the door until i was heading to bed, so i'll try it tonight.

I'm curious which firmware they sent out. If anyone is curious, i'll post back. I don't know if 8.04 is the latest or not. I assume they would send me the latest version.

I'm also curious how this works, because the firmware is on a 4GB compactflash. About two years ago, i tried to put a 4GB SD card in my TV to view pictures, and the TV didn't recognize it....I assumed it was because it was a 4GB card, and i know some older card readers built into computers don't recognize high capacity cards.
post #2571 of 2650 Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
As far as viewing pictures, if you edited them on a computer and then resaved, this may make them unviewable in the TV. These older TVs were limited to viewing the pictures as origianlly recorded by the camera.
post #2572 of 2650 Old 12-07-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info joshMV4. I'm curious to know what all is included in the firmware update other than the cablecard fix.

post #2573 of 2650 Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Make a copy of all the files on the card. They all get erased after the upgrade.
Also be sure the TV is in 'fast power on' (power hog) mode. If not, it might cause problems.

post #2574 of 2650 Old 12-07-2011, 03:46 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Likely Mitsubishi will not release "bug fixes" lists. Only "new" or "upgraded" features. Most manufacturers do not publicly list each bug fix if they can avoid that. If the bug is seen in 1 out of 2,000 units then why make a public issue if that bug.
post #2575 of 2650 Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My 65732 is 3 + years old and starting to get the halo effect. Also, fans, etc. need cleaning. Despite Videobruce's wonderful instructions on cleaning the lens, etc. as a "less than confident" handiman, I feel doing this on my own would be overwhelming. My question is, do most tv repair shops do this type of cleaning well? Would most know what the halo effect is and how to clean everything to repair it? What would be a fair price to do this?

Love my Mits tv and with just a little tlc, I think it would be like new again. Any advice & help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Troy
post #2576 of 2650 Old 12-10-2011, 04:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

do most tv repair shops do this type of cleaning well? Would most know what the halo effect is and how to clean everything to repair it? What would be a fair price to do this?

No,
Doubtful,
A service call and hourly rate (would be my guess) probably if you could find one that would do it.

It's commendable that you know your limits.

post #2577 of 2650 Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Videobruce, you were correct. I have talked to 3 repair services and none are familiar with the blooming effect and didn't really seem to know what I was talking about in cleaning the lense.

As I said before I don't consider myself great at this type of thing but I don't have a choice "other than getting a new tv!" On average, how long would/should it take me to complete the cleaning process? Can you give me a few tips as to what I should absolutely do & not do in preparing and completing the process "other than your excellant photo's!" Any help & suggestions would be welcome and appreciated! Thanks, Troy
post #2578 of 2650 Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhash View Post

Videobruce, you were correct. I have talked to 3 repair services and none are familiar with the blooming effect and didn't really seem to know what I was talking about in cleaning the lense.

As I said before I don't consider myself great at this type of thing but I don't have a choice "other than getting a new tv!" On average, how long would/should it take me to complete the cleaning process? Can you give me a few tips as to what I should absolutely do & not do in preparing and completing the process "other than your excellant photo's!" Any help & suggestions would be welcome and appreciated! Thanks, Troy

If you were here in Central TX, I'd probably do it for you for free. It's pretty easy the 3rd or 4th time.
post #2579 of 2650 Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

troyhash; Without writing a term paper, breifly;

1. One thing at a time,
2. Be sure you have a somewhat clean environment (as little airborne and surface dust as possible),
3. A surface to work on. A coffee table for example,
4. Good lighting,
5. A cloth to cover the workspace,
4. All the tools you will need and the correct tools (don't use a #2 Phillips when a #1 is needed),
5. A place to put all those screws off the back,
6. Enough room to access the back of the set,
7, Enough time to do this, don't rush,
8. Print out the pics and text from the thread!,
9. Write down any additional notes,
10. A helping set of hands and eyes (a second source of feedback & input),
11. Don't force anything,
12. Label cable assemblies to where they go if you can't remember,
13. Take your own pictures, especially before you disconnect stuff,
14. Discharge yourself of static electricity before you remove the LE!

Good luck.

post #2580 of 2650 Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Been Awhile but I am still Enjoying my WD-65732 Bought in April of 2007 from Tweeter. Cost me 3 grand out the door with a 5 year extended warranty.

Good to see this thread still has some recent life to it.

With all the L.E. Replacements that alot had to recieve, I had thought for sure I would be struck with that issue at some point, Knock on wood I am still on the OEM Light Engine.

I run my 65732 24/7 here, and find I replace bulbs at 12-18 month intervals. I Literally leave the set ON 24/7.
Years of sony walkman abuse has my ears ringing 24/7 so the TV is on 24/7 to counter the ringing in my ears. Silence in the house drives me crazy with the Tinnitus I have.

I have no "blooming or halos" even after 35,638 hours of use. (I just did the Menu 2 4 7 0 thing to check, never bothered looking before.

I still have people come over and go Wow thats a BIG Screen, and a Nice picture.

Time flies, 2 months and I will have owned this 65" TV for 5 years with only annual bulb replacements. Not bad.

I have had the TV do the shut down thing here and there, but not often, maybe once every 6-8 months? Not often enough that I ever had Mits do the repair.

I cycle the TV off and on and always seemed to correct itself either by unplugging for a few minutes or just letting it sit off awhile then not happen again for another 6-8 months or so.

After the OEM Lamp blew at about 3 months and Mits replaced it, I really havent had any problems .
I read the lens washing thread and go Stare at my screen LOOKING for haze, halos, or blooming and just don't see any. And no one in the house has mentioned seeing any.

I am coming due for another lamp soon. I notice they Dim for awhile before they go Poof. I tend to change settings lighter as they age.

Been buying my lamps from River Valley Electronics from their website and the last one was bought on 12-18-1010 @ $87.99 shipped. (Just the Lamp)

I was planning on buying the lamp With the Housing this time around since some tabs were snapped off the last time I changed the lamp.

To my surprize I see River Valley is no longer carrying these lamps for our beloved WD-65732's or any of them now.

I do see them available at other places still, but have heard on ebay and through Amazon some BAD things about those lamps life spans and that those sellers are very hard to actually get a replacement warranty out of them.

Anyone have a GOOD Reputable source for the 915P049010 Lamps with and without the housing?
I finally wanted to pick up a lamp and housing Before the current lamp went out to use the older one as a Spare, so when the newer one goes out I'd have at least a dim one on the shelf to install for the few days it takes to get the next new lamp.

Mitsubishi still has our lamps @ $179.00 far too highly priced IMO. So I won't buy one from there.

I love the 65" size and would NEVER go any smaller now. I actually want a Bigger TV next time I buy. Not sure what I'll go with at that time. Kinda thinking I would sell mine while it's still working Before a major part (cost wise) goes out.
I'd like at least a 73" or Bigger TV . This time around I WILL research Here BEFORE I buy my next set. I think I got Lucky with my WD-65732.

I know the Mits DLP TV's are the best bang for the buck Cost to Size wise but I may be looking for a TV that can be hung on my wall or on a single stand, and gain back the almost 2 foot depth in my living room. I have the tall wood cabinets, the two tower and 2 shevles across the span type setup. It is expanded as far as it can go wide to fit the 65" in it now, so a replacement would be needed or Eliminated all together. I know the DLP's are a dying breed but mine has pretty much served me well. But I may go with another type TV next time as they are getting bigger and prices have come down for them.

I'll have to start researching again.

Thanks and let me know your lamp sources.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page