2007 Mitsubishi 732 series Owner's Thread (57732, 65732, 73732) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2650 Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well here it is, a starting point for those of us with the new 2007 Mitsubishi WD 57732, WD 65732 and WD 73732 DLP (also WD Y57 and WD Y65) televisions to share our experiences. Perhaps by separating this discussion from the main Mitsu thread we can reduce the signal-to-noise ratio and stay on or reasonably close to on topic without having to read 50 posts a day about models we don't own.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2650 Old 09-11-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There seems to be some difference of opinion about having the Deep Field Imager (DFI) on versus off. Personally I prefer it on, but my 65 has not been calibrated yet. What do others think?

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #3 of 2650 Old 09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
i don't have mine yet,its coming next saturday but i can't wait to set it up.
i hope someone posts the settings they are using so i can try them out
post #4 of 2650 Old 09-11-2006, 08:02 PM

I have had my 57-732 for three days now and am still in awe. Even my satillite installer who I've known for a couple years said it was the best picture he's ever seen. Still playing and adjusting, but this set rocks.

I'm watching MNF right now and some shots look like the players are in the room. Craziness!

Imagination is more important than knowledge
post #5 of 2650 Old 09-11-2006, 08:07 PM

I have my WD57732 on order from MitsBucks and no clue on when I am going to get it...so for now I have to watch my future TV at work.

Thanks Cap for making this thread....I am tired of reading about the Sony SXRD!

Owners of the xx732 will you please post your settings and if anyone as set up perfect color and tent. Along with light conditions, I prefer no light so we can all judge the settings.

"I AM WE TODD IT....I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT." -Albert Einstein
post #6 of 2650 Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Suggestion: Since there already exists a general thread for the 2007 Mitsubishis, a separate tweeks thread is not needed. Just use this one.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #7 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 02:29 PM

I performed quite a bit of google and forum searches but could not find the service menu codes for the **732 sets. (Found about a dozen others that don't work).

...Anyone?
post #8 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 03:39 PM

Thought I'd share some photos of my the setup I just completed for my parents including a 57732 and a BIC Acoustech HT-65 center-channel speaker.

I actually found a $6 metal wall-mount coat rack from Lowe's that worked tremendously well as a platform for the center channel speaker to rest on the set. (It should be noted that this is a fairly large center channel speaker weighing in at a tad over twenty pounds and measuring 22"W x 6"D x 8"H)

Front:

Front Left Quarter

Front Low

Center Channel Front Left Quarter

Center Channel Left

Center Channel Rear Right Quarter

Center Channel Rear Below
(note:
  • I haven't yet removed the protective plastic from the bottom of the speaker
  • I added a piece of sheet metal a touch smaller than the speaker itself to aid in weight-distribution (the sheet metal was a stock size at Lowe's and was completely optional...I just wanted to make very sure that the speaker couldn't tip backwards)
post #9 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 04:42 PM

I just got the tv. I love it. The HD picture is impressive. The blacks look good. Has anybody had time to tinker with the settings?
post #10 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello everyone nice pics creative setup with center speaker. Rember the days of the speaker causing the screen to fade color?.

I have a question as I am interested in the WD-Y65 is this the right thread for me?

Blu ray is the best Blah, blah, blah.
post #11 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 PM

First post yet long time lurker in the AVS forums. FYI I believe that Costco is now carrying the full line up of the 732 series. The only reason why I cannot be completely sure is that no model number is displayed. The WD-xx732 series tv is at the bottom of the Costco page.Originally they were only carrying the 65 inch. Could someone please give me a sanity check here. I was about to purchase with credit card in hand when I noticed the new addition to their page.
post #12 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm a little surprised to see Costco carrying the Medalion (732) series. Normally those and the Diamonds are only available in the mid & high end stores. Has anyone bought a 732 from Costco yet?

post #13 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post

I performed quite a bit of google and forum searches but could not find the service menu codes for the **732 sets. (Found about a dozen others that don't work).

...Anyone?

I have something that is supposed to be the service menu codes, but don't know the method of entry. i.e., do you hold down the menu button while entering or what?

The code I was given is MENU + 2 + 4 + 5 + 7

Either that's the wrong code else I don't know how to punch them in.

I have Jeff Meier (accucal.org) coming over in October to calibrate mine. I'm sure he'll know how to get access.

post #14 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd nOOb View Post

I have a question as I am interested in the WD-Y65 is this the right thread for me?

I think so. The WD Y65 is similar to the 65732 and the owner's manual for the '732' model lists the WD Y65.

What's you're question?

post #15 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

That was the question thx buddy, I quess this is the thread for me

post #16 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtb2 View Post

I just got the tv. I love it. The HD picture is impressive. The blacks look good. Does anybody had time to tinker with the settings?

Out of the box the set was factory preconfigured in "torch mode". I tamed mine by setting the picture to "Bright" instead of brilliant. Other settings I recall are contrast at 46, brightness at 34, tint at 31 (default), deep field imager (DFI) = on, sharpness at 20 (sharpness control doesn't seem to do much if anything), all perfectcolor settings at factory defaults. Sharpedge = Off, Color at 33.

moreso than anything the Color control appears to have the greatest effect on skin tones.

Also learned that not only are each input's settings unique as to that input, but you also have some other "fixed" settings. Example on the Picture setting, where you have Brilliant, Bright and Natural. Each of these 3 settings allow you to configure the other settings (tint, DFI, etc) independently for each of the 3 picture settings. That's really handy for switching between dark films and bright baseball games. It essentially allows you to have 3 different sets of "presets" for each input.

post #17 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post

I'm watching MNF right now and some shots look like the players are in the room. Craziness!

One of my neighbors (sports buff) stopped over Sunday during the Dallas/Jacksonville game and was in awe. I used to be pretty impressed with my old 55819 (circa 2001) but these new DLP sets have really raised the bar.

My son has one of the new 40 (or 42") Sammy Plasmas and swears the pq on the 65732 blows his plasma away.

post #18 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Thanks for creating this thread Cap'n....... my set "57732" should be delivered to me sometime next week, and this thread will def be a help to me with setting it up
post #19 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 08:00 PM

Just ordered my 65732 from ABT - awesome price. It should be delivered on Thursday. Ill post some comments if I can tear myself away from starring at the awesome display
post #20 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post

I have something that is supposed to be the service menu codes, but don't know the method of entry. i.e., do you hold down the menu button while entering or what?

The code I was given is MENU + 2 + 4 + 5 + 7

Either that's the wrong code else I don't know how to punch them in.

I have Jeff Meier (accucal.org) coming over in October to calibrate mine. I'm sure he'll know how to get access.

Thanks, this is the code I was looking for. Don't hold down the MENU key, just hit them one at a time, in order. You then use the 'audio' button on the remote to scroll through option screens and then the fast-forward and rewind for actually setting options. Be vary careful though as setting some values to min or max will actually move the image off the screen and you won't be able to see to fix it. As you said, Jeff will be able to provide more input.

As a side note, what devices will he be calibrating it to? (i.e. do you have a cable or satellite STB?...What brand/model/input-method)
post #21 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 08:12 PM

The first time I heard of the Turbo light 180...I thought....."can I put the 180 watt lamp in my 57732?" (I will have this answer as soon as we receive the 831 in our store!) I asked my Mits rep Jason H. and he said it should fit, however seemed to me that I was the first one to ask this question in their Road Show......am I?

"I AM WE TODD IT....I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT." -Albert Einstein
post #22 of 2650 Old 09-12-2006, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Any shots of this set hooked upto xbox 360 or HD DVD hdmi/componet?

Just currious

post #23 of 2650 Old 09-13-2006, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As a side note, what devices will he be calibrating it to? (i.e. do you have a cable or satellite STB?...What brand/model/input-method)

Satellite D* H20 STB with HDMI
Oppo 971H DVD with HDMI

post #24 of 2650 Old 09-13-2006, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangedup View Post

The first time I heard of the Turbo light 180...I thought....."can I put the 180 watt lamp in my 57732?" (I will have this answer as soon as we receive the 831 in our store!) I asked my Mits rep Jason H. and he said it should fit, however seemed to me that I was the first one to ask this question in their Road Show......am I?

A: It will fit
B: You will void your warranty
C: You will void any extended warranty you might have
D: You may possibly run into some cooling issues
E: You may run into calibration issues. The lamp is only 1 piece of a complex puzzle.
F: No offense meant, but this is a foolish idea, in my opinion. The 150w lamp is blazingly bright in the 65", which has approx 20% greater light diffusion than the 57"

What is it you hope to gain with a 20% brighter (and 20% hotter) lamp?

post #25 of 2650 Old 09-13-2006, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, this is the code I was looking for. Don't hold down the MENU key, just hit them one at a time, in order. You then use the 'audio' button on the remote to scroll through option screens and then the fast-forward and rewind for actually setting options. Be vary careful though as setting some values to min or max will actually move the image off the screen and you won't be able to see to fix it. As you said, Jeff will be able to provide more input.

In that case, those codes do not work (2-4-5-7)

post #26 of 2650 Old 09-13-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:

In that case, those codes do not work (2-4-5-7)

Odd. They work on mine.
post #27 of 2650 Old 09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think so. The WD Y65 is similar to the 65732 and the owner's manual for the '732' model lists the WD Y65.

What's you're question?

The "Y" models at Circuit City do not have the Dark Detailer or Deep Field Imager features, so the blacks and overall contrast are not going to be as good as the 732 series. The "Y" models do have a few of the 732 features but as far as picture quality goes, they're apparently about the same as the 731 series.
post #28 of 2650 Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm a little surprised to see Costco carrying the Medalion (732) series. Normally those and the Diamonds are only available in the mid & high end stores. Has anyone bought a 732 from Costco yet?

I see them listed on the Costco website but haven't been to either Houston store yet to see if they have them in stock. Do you know if anybody else in Houston has the 732's in? To buy right now I'm going to need to finance, which rules out Costco but if somebody else has them I can at least use Costco as price-matching leverage.
post #29 of 2650 Old 09-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn View Post

I see them listed on the Costco website but haven't been to either Houston store yet to see if they have them in stock. Do you know if anybody else in Houston has the 732's in? To buy right now I'm going to need to finance, which rules out Costco but if somebody else has them I can at least use Costco as price-matching leverage.

Its not local for you, but ABT blew away the Costco price.
post #30 of 2650 Old 09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post

Its not local for you, but ABT blew away the Costco price.

I assume you have to negotiate the price with them? Their website is charging full retail.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page