The official Toshiba 62MX196/72MX196 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 570 Old 11-29-2006, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Carmel Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have used the opening scenes of The Fifth Element to adjust skin tones for every pj and rptv that I have had since the movie came out.

Go to the scene where the professor is pointing to some markings on the wall and freeze the picture. You can adjust to perfect skin tones from that scene.

Many movies are "yellowish" for many scenes but that has nothing to do with your tv.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

shelly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 570 Old 11-29-2006, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I have used the opening scenes of The Fifth Element to adjust skin tones for every pj and rptv that I have had since the movie came out.

Go to the scene where the professor is pointing to some markings on the wall and freeze the picture. You can adjust to perfect skin tones from that scene.

Many movies are "yellowish" for many scenes but that has nothing to do with your tv.

Shelly

Yeah I realized afterwards that many movies, broadcasts on other TVs also boost yellowish skin tones. It just seemed more obvious on my Toshiba (which is why I noticed it).
dhan is offline  
post #273 of 570 Old 12-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Newbie
 
texasKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

Can anyone comment on whether there is a hum audible from your viewing position?

This would be different from fan noise, but can the fan noise be heard as well from your seat?

Shelly

I just started getting a humming noise from the 52HM84. it is different from the sound of the fan. it is pretty audible at volume 20 and below.

it's a constant hummmmmm.
texasKA is offline  
post #274 of 570 Old 12-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
f300v10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well the 62HM/MX196 has gotten more high marks from another reviewer, this time Wired Magazine. Here is there summary: "Excellent A/V quality. Straightforward remote and on-screen menus. Best. Value. Ever."

Short review here: http://www.wired.com/testguide/fall2...isions/24.html
f300v10 is offline  
post #275 of 570 Old 12-08-2006, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Carmel Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post

Well the 62HM/MX196 has gotten more high marks from another reviewer, this time Wired Magazine. Here is there summary: "Excellent A/V quality. Straightforward remote and on-screen menus. Best. Value. Ever."

Short review here: http://www.wired.com/testguide/fall2...isions/24.html

Always nice to see positive reviews but this is for the HM196, not the MX196.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

shelly is offline  
post #276 of 570 Old 12-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
f300v10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

Always nice to see positive reviews but this is for the HM196, not the MX196.

Shelly

Yes it was for the HM, but the light engine (hence picture quality) is identical between the 2 sets, so any review of the HM applies to the MX. The MX adds better looks, more advanced color control and VGA, but the are really the same set in most respects.
f300v10 is offline  
post #277 of 570 Old 12-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Newbie
 
tdclee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am stuck between these two TV's ... did any one else check these out and decide on Toshiba .. My 32" toshiba is 10 years old and is still like new. So feel loyal to Toshiba, but JVC offers 1080p (and I am still trying to decide how important that is) Will have PS3 soon - once things calm down (don't want to get shot lol). JVC is higher cost but if is more future friendly ?! I have read tons comparing JVC and SONY but can't find hardly anything against Toshiba? Both have approx same bulb life and replacement cost I think. .. Please help I am a wife whos husband wants a BIG TV and I am left to do the research!!!
tdclee is offline  
post #278 of 570 Old 12-09-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdclee View Post

I am stuck between these two TV's ... did any one else check these out and decide on Toshiba .. My 32" toshiba is 10 years old and is still like new. So feel loyal to Toshiba, but JVC offers 1080p (and I am still trying to decide how important that is) Will have PS3 soon - once things calm down (don't want to get shot lol). JVC is higher cost but if is more future friendly ?! I have read tons comparing JVC and SONY but can't find hardly anything against Toshiba? Both have approx same bulb life and replacement cost I think. .. Please help I am a wife whos husband wants a BIG TV and I am left to do the research!!!

The only things against toshiba are colors out of the box (can be fixed) and rainbows (if you can see them) since it's a DLP with a color wheel.

Other than that the set is awesome.

I have both a PS3 and 360 and lack of 1080p input is not an issue for me, gaming experience is out of this world!
dhan is offline  
post #279 of 570 Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Contrast set to 100 is high but if you like it this way...

For my 360 I have:

contrast : 85
brightness : 57
color : 50
tint : 0
sharpness : 0

Dynamic contrast : med
Vertical edge : off
DNR : off
Mpeg : off
color temp : warm (med for some games and 3d movies)
lamp : low for movies, high for games


Professionaly calibrated sets often have the above settings turned off or set lower. I go with what I like and what I like is higher. I also made a lot of change in the color managment menu... I'll post those later.

Latest...

360 on Component

Picture Settings

Contrast : 85
Brightness : 63
Color : 55
Tint : 0
Sharpness : 0

Advanced Settings

Dynamic Contrast : Med
DNR : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
Color Temperature : Warm
Lamp Mode : High Bright
Vertical Edge Enhancer : Off
Color management :

Red : 10, -7, 0
Green 30, 5, -10
Blue : 5, 5, -10
Yellow : -10, -10, 5
Magenta : 10, -5, 5
Cyan : 0, 0, -10

Game Mode : Off


PS3 on HDMI

Picture Settings

Contrast : 85
Brightness : 45
Color : 55
Tint : 0
Sharpness : 0

Advanced Settings

Dynamic Contrast : Off
DNR : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
Color Temperature : Warm
Lamp Mode : High Bright
Vertical Edge Enhancer : Off
Color management :

Red : 0, -5, -10
Green 30, 5, 3
Blue : 5, 5, -17
Yellow : 0, -10, 3
Magenta : 10, -5, 10
Cyan : -8, 0, 0

Game Mode : Off

I have to agree with some of the reviews I read: HDMI inputs gives a much better pic than component on this set. Better colors, contrast and sharpness. DVDs are razor sharp on the PS3. BD (ice age the meltdown) is heaven! I have yet to see HD-DVD... (waiting for Santa... )
dhan is offline  
post #280 of 570 Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Newbie
 
lorry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

This forum is a fabulous resource! I just bought and installed the Toshiba 62MX196. I've been reading about calibration etc. I did set mine up according to a post with some settings that Eliab had done to someone else's set. So far I'm very happy with the results. I've called a few electonics retailers and repair shops to see if they calibrate sets. Most of them didn't really know what I was talking about. So I guess I'm on my own. Any suggestions?

The other question is about the fan. Is it always running? Even when the TV is off? If so, why continuosly?

Thanks for the help,
Lorry
lorry is offline  
post #281 of 570 Old 12-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorry View Post

Hi All,

This forum is a fabulous resource! I just bought and installed the Toshiba 62MX196. I've been reading about calibration etc. I did set mine up according to a post with some settings that Eliab had done to someone else's set. So far I'm very happy with the results. I've called a few electonics retailers and repair shops to see if they calibrate sets. Most of them didn't really know what I was talking about. So I guess I'm on my own. Any suggestions?

The other question is about the fan. Is it always running? Even when the TV is off? If so, why continuosly?

Thanks for the help,
Lorry

Congratulations. If you are going to spend the money on a professional calibration, make sure you get someone who is ISF certified, experienced in calibrations and has the right equipment. Eliab is an excellent choice, but there are others who will do a good job as well.

My fan seems to run at different speeds at different times. I've never checked after it has cooled down to see if the fan was still running.
bslep is online now  
post #282 of 570 Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdclee View Post

I am stuck between these two TV's ... did any one else check these out and decide on Toshiba .. My 32" toshiba is 10 years old and is still like new. So feel loyal to Toshiba, but JVC offers 1080p (and I am still trying to decide how important that is) Will have PS3 soon - once things calm down (don't want to get shot lol). JVC is higher cost but if is more future friendly ?! I have read tons comparing JVC and SONY but can't find hardly anything against Toshiba? Both have approx same bulb life and replacement cost I think. .. Please help I am a wife whos husband wants a BIG TV and I am left to do the research!!!

A 1080p input was an issue with me as well. However, I am totally statisfied with the PQ on this TV - it has exceeded my expectations. I have not seen a better PQ on any set in any store. I'm not justifying my purchase, I researched sets for a year and ruled out every other set. I was in the Sony Style Store over the weekend looking at the 70" SXRD (I waited a year for that TV to come out) and both my wife and I walked away in agreement that our set was sharper with better detail. Granted, the store set up may not have been ideal and my set was professionally calibrated, but it was what it was to our eyes. The Toshiba Cinema series DLP is the TV world's best value and best kept secret in my opinion.

Also, as an aside, my friend has the Sony Qualia 004 projector ($30K) and he spent the money for the upgrade to 1080p inputs ($3K) and is now very upset that he did. He said that you have to really focus and just stare at parts of the screen to see even a minute difference in quality from 1080i to 1080p (he has a blu-ray player that outputs 1080p). He bought a 1080i set for his family room.

Obviously, go by what you see and what you like, not by others. This is just my experience and my opinion.
bslep is online now  
post #283 of 570 Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

A 1080p input was an issue with me as well. However, I am totally statisfied with the PQ on this TV - it has exceeded my expectations. I have not seen a better PQ on any set in any store. I'm not justifying my purchase, I researched sets for a year and ruled out every other set. I was in the Sony Style Store over the weekend looking at the 70" SXRD (I waited a year for that TV to come out) and both my wife and I walked away in agreement that our set was sharper with better detail. Granted, the store set up may not have been ideal and my set was professionally calibrated, but it was what it was to our eyes. The Toshiba Cinema series DLP is the TV world's best value and best kept secret in my opinion.

Also, as an aside, my friend has the Sony Qualia 004 projector ($30K) and he spent the money for the upgrade to 1080p inputs ($3K) and is now very upset that he did. He said that you have to really focus and just stare at parts of the screen to see even a minute difference in quality from 1080i to 1080p (he has a blu-ray player that outputs 1080p). He bought a 1080i set for his family room.

Obviously, go by what you see and what you like, not by others. This is just my experience and my opinion.

This display is exactly as Consumers Reports describes. Had the highest score of any display in any category. There are no digital artifacts to speak of. No DLP dither noise. Clear and clean. Great user interface especially with the off-the-air TV guide info. The HM version has the better PQ and costs less according to CR.
reincarnate is offline  
post #284 of 570 Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Newbie
 
Winbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased the 62 and I must say I am very, very happy! I have a PS3 hooked up through hdmi, the picture is amazing. I watched Talledega Nights BluRay disc that came with the PS3 and was amazed at how clear and sharp the picture was, but then I put in ICEAGE on Bluray and just about fell on the floor with how great the picture was!!! I cannot imagine a TV with better picture that my eyes could tell.
I highly recommend this TV to anyone!!! 1080i??, 1080p?? I don't care it looks great to me and that is all that matters!!
Winbuck is offline  
post #285 of 570 Old 12-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Member
 
Dukenightvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the 62" model for my eighty year old dad.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the enjoyment on my dad's face when he watches the Chicago Bears win the Superbowl in HDTV.
Dukenightvision is offline  
post #286 of 570 Old 12-20-2006, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

A 1080p input was an issue with me as well. However, I am totally statisfied with the PQ on this TV - it has exceeded my expectations. I have not seen a better PQ on any set in any store. I'm not justifying my purchase, I researched sets for a year and ruled out every other set. I was in the Sony Style Store over the weekend looking at the 70" SXRD (I waited a year for that TV to come out) and both my wife and I walked away in agreement that our set was sharper with better detail. Granted, the store set up may not have been ideal and my set was professionally calibrated, but it was what it was to our eyes. The Toshiba Cinema series DLP is the TV world's best value and best kept secret in my opinion

Same here! I was in a store with my brother in front of a 70" SXRD telling him that I was considering it when I first began my search for the big HDTV when he said to me: "IMO PQ on this set does not match yours"... I smiled.

I have to say that since I finally adjusted colors to match my tastes (took me almost 3 months ) I REALLY enjoy the picture quality on this set. The detail level in Ice Age The Meltdown (BD) is awesome!

And I guess I got used to those rainbows as I rarely (and barely) notice them now. That is a good thing for me.

Yep, I really enjoy this set especially with my PS3 and 360.
dhan is offline  
post #287 of 570 Old 12-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Newbie
 
Bob_Br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

This display is exactly as Consumers Reports describes. Had the highest score of any display in any category. There are no digital artifacts to speak of. No DLP dither noise. Clear and clean. Great user interface especially with the off-the-air TV guide info. The HM version has the better PQ and costs less according to CR.

I believe the HM version that CR rated highest was the 1080P 62HM196. The 56HM66 and the 56HMX96 that were rated slighlty below are both 720P sets. It appears that the differences between the 1080P HM's and the 1080P MX's are features and cabinet color (and, of course, price).
Bob_Br is offline  
post #288 of 570 Old 12-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Member
 
MaxHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Br View Post

I believe the HM version that CR rated highest was the 1080P 62HM196. The 56HM66 and the 56HMX96 that were rated slighlty below are both 720P sets. It appears that the differences between the 1080P HM's and the 1080P MX's are features and cabinet color (and, of course, price).

Well I made the plunge "again" on the Toshiba 72" but got the MX196 this time.
I can confirm, in my case, the picture is not as sharp as my "trouble some" 72HM195 I bought earlier this year.
MaxHuey is offline  
post #289 of 570 Old 12-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Hans Gruber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I assembled the components for my cousin's Home Theater. I selected the 72HM195 for him. I have read several complaints about the 72HM195. His set works perfectly. No noise or rainbow effect in the picture. He has no fan running all the time as others have reported. The TV cost him around $2,700-$2,800 with shipping.

The picture is phenominal. If the bulb burns out early, Toshiba gives him a new one free. I think his set has the new bulb Toshiba switched to. He's got the Oppo DV-970HD running 1080i through component. He's got XBOX 360 running component 1080i.

It's been a great set besides the built in HDTV tuner. One channel refuses to come in regularly.

Is there going to be a firmware or software upgrade enabling 1080P through HDMI on the HM195 or HM196 sets. It doesn't make any sense to have a native 1080P set without 1080P outputs. Oppo just released a new HDMI players that upconverts to 1080P.
Hans Gruber is online now  
post #290 of 570 Old 12-29-2006, 04:38 PM
GM6
 
GM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

I assembled the components for my cousin's Home Theater. I selected the 72HM195 for him. I have read several complaints about the 72HM195. His set works perfectly. No noise or rainbow effect in the picture. He has no fan running all the time as others have reported. The TV cost him around $2,700-$2,800 with shipping.

The picture is phenominal. If the bulb burns out early, Toshiba gives him a new one free. I think his set has the new bulb Toshiba switched to. He's got the Oppo DV-970HD running 1080i through component. He's got XBOX 360 running component 1080i.

It's been a great set besides the built in HDTV tuner. One channel refuses to come in regularly.

Is there going to be a firmware or software upgrade enabling 1080P through HDMI on the HM195 or HM196 sets. It doesn't make any sense to have a native 1080P set without 1080P outputs. Oppo just released a new HDMI players that upconverts to 1080P.

To be able to accept 1080p signal there needs to be a hardware change. Software cannot fix that issue. It's simply manufacturers using cheaper chips. They saved like $3-5 per unit by not going with a chip that would accept 1080p through the HDMI board.

It's a great thing that on the 196 TVs from Toshiba that they didn't skimp on the Deinterlacer chip. The 196 does an outstanding job taking 1080i and converting it to 1080p. Unfortuneatly, we missed out on other things. But hey, for me being able to deinterlace correctly was most important, and I got what I needed from my 62HM196.

-Gagan
GM6 is offline  
post #291 of 570 Old 12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Hans Gruber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So what it the DVD player upconverts DVD imagaes to 1080P via HDMI? What if you have a terrestrial HDTV tuner that upconverts HD signals through it's own deinterlacer through HDMI? What if you have DirecTV and the Satellite too has a built in deinterlacer to upconvert to 1080P. As far as I am aware only Blue Ray DVD delivers native 1080P. Toshiba will be releasing an HD DVD player in January that will produce native 1080P video's.

Your argument goes up in smoke if the hardware inside the HD device does the video processing and deinterlacing. It's understandable that Toshiba wants to save a few dollars at the counsumers expense by not including 1080P processing. However, outboard tuners should be able to display 1080P signals if the external processors does the image processing.

I will give you an example. I have a second generation Mitsubishi 65" HDTV. The TV was HDTV ready. It did not include an onboard tuner but the set can display 1080i images. It cannot display 720P images as 720P was not a standard. I watch HDTV images on my Mitsubishi via an external HDTV tuner.

That being said, why can't the Toshiba HM195/6 series sets display 1080P if the native resolution of the set is 1080P? With outboard decoding which most DVD and Satellite players already do themselves, Toshiba 1080P sets should be able to accept 1080P signals from an outboard tuner.
Hans Gruber is online now  
post #292 of 570 Old 12-29-2006, 11:48 PM
GM6
 
GM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

So what it the DVD player upconverts DVD imagaes to 1080P via HDMI? What if you have a terrestrial HDTV tuner that upconverts HD signals through it's own deinterlacer through HDMI? What if you have DirecTV and the Satellite too has a built in deinterlacer to upconvert to 1080P. As far as I am aware only Blue Ray DVD delivers native 1080P. Toshiba will be releasing an HD DVD player in January that will produce native 1080P video's.

Your argument goes up in smoke if the hardware inside the HD device does the video processing and deinterlacing. It's understandable that Toshiba wants to save a few dollars at the counsumers expense by not including 1080P processing. However, outboard tuners should be able to display 1080P signals if the external processors does the image processing.

I will give you an example. I have a second generation Mitsubishi 65" HDTV. The TV was HDTV ready. It did not include an onboard tuner but the set can display 1080i images. It cannot display 720P images as 720P was not a standard. I watch HDTV images on my Mitsubishi via an external HDTV tuner.

That being said, why can't the Toshiba HM195/6 series sets display 1080P if the native resolution of the set is 1080P? With outboard decoding which most DVD and Satellite players already do themselves, Toshiba 1080P sets should be able to accept 1080P signals from an outboard tuner.

Doesn't matter if the content is ready to go or not, if you put in a chip that can accept 1080P, it will. If you don't put in a chip that accepts 1080p, then you won't.

If you set up the display to not do any internal processing like you are saying, then what if the HDMI board is fed 1080I, it won't scale it up. They would literally have to put in a chip that could be programed to bypass internal work and pass though the signal. No one makes a chip like that right now, and why should they? It's more cost effective to put in a full 1080p chip. But some companies find putting in a non-1080p accepting chip as being even more cost effective, and they have chosen to go that route.

It sucks, but it's life. Corps will always try to squezze out every penny to increase shareholder wealth. It sucks, i know I wish my tv would accept 1080p.

-Gagan
GM6 is offline  
post #293 of 570 Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
piturra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mountain (Google land) View, CA
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Every 1080p HDTVs deinterlaces 1080i = 1080p now, since the HDTV broadcasts are either 720p or 1080i/30 (HDTV Standards), including the small number of HDTVs that can accept 1080p INputs and it probably will not change in the coming future. (720p would be scaled / upconverted = 1080p)

To quote HT MAG. NOV 2006 Issue page 66 ...
Quote:


At the time 720p is not going away, nor are the networks that use this HDTV standard (Fox, ABC, and ESPN) likely to drop it. At present, no HDTV programs are being transmitted in the 1080p format over cable, through the air, or via satellite. They're only in the 1080i/30 format.

You're probably asking - What about 2nd GEN HD DVD and Blu-Ray player's that output 1080p?

Those HD / Blu-Ray DVD player's will either output the DVD ...

1) native 1080p/24 or

2) convert (3:2 pulldown / de-interlace) it internally to 1080p/60.

-----

Then the HDTVs w/1080p INput will take those signals and ...

1) 1080p/24: perform 3:2 pulldown
.... a) This process converts 24-frame-per-second film to be displayed on a 60-Hz display

2) 1080p/60: display the signal.


In either case, ... you will not see the native 1080p/24 HD DVD and Blu-Ray content in its native 1080p/24 format because every TV sold in the US has a refresh rate of 60 hertz.


The above scenario is basically what the above 1080i v. 1080p article by Geoffrey Morrison said ...

Quote:


The first player, the Samsung, added the 3:2 to the signal, interlaced it, and then output that (1080i) or de-interlaced the same signal and output that (1080p). In this case, the only difference between 1080i and 1080p is where the de-interlacing is done. If you send 1080i, the TV de-interlaces it to 1080p. If you send your TV the 1080p signal, the player is de-interlacing the signal. As long as your TV is de-interlacing the 1080i correctly, then there is no difference.

Geoffrey Morrison adds in his 1080i v. 1080p written article (HT MAG. NOV 2006 Issue) ...

Quote:


pg. 36

If the TV correctly deinterlaces 1080i, then there should be no visible difference between deinterlaced 1080i and direct 1080p (even with that extra step). There is no new information -- nor is there more resolution, as some people think. This is because ... there is no new information with the progressive signal. It's all based on the same original 24 frames per second.

.... What I hope this article points out is that, if you have a 1080p TV that only accepts 1080i, you're not missing any resolution from the Blu-ray or HD DVD source. If a TV doesn't correctly deinterlace 1080i, on the other hand. . .well, that's a different article ...

Click the link above to read the on-line article.

Phil
piturra is offline  
post #294 of 570 Old 12-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Member
 
Pcar928fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I need to go look at a 72MX196 again...the only one I saw (I think it was a s195) had a very good PQ and was in a room next door to a 70" SONY and I kept thinking it was almost a toss up w/ a slight edge going to the SONY, but maybe it was just set up better... The actual TV itself is not bad looking either.

How is the 196 different from the 195? I do prefer a Piano black finish too btw.

Also, how are the quality control issues these days. Seems like there have been a LOT of posts about reliability problems...maybe those were old sets. There is NO COMPARISON price wise though! These sets are half as much or less than the SONY product!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Same here! I was in a store with my brother in front of a 70" SXRD telling him that I was considering it when I first began my search for the big HDTV when he said to me: "IMO PQ on this set does not match yours"... I smiled.

I have to say that since I finally adjusted colors to match my tastes (took me almost 3 months ) I REALLY enjoy the picture quality on this set. The detail level in Ice Age The Meltdown (BD) is awesome!

And I guess I got used to those rainbows as I rarely (and barely) notice them now. That is a good thing for me.

Yep, I really enjoy this set especially with my PS3 and 360.


James M.
Austin, TX
Found and bought the 70" SONY!
Pcar928fan is offline  
post #295 of 570 Old 12-31-2006, 07:46 AM
Member
 
Dukenightvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

A 1080p input was an issue with me as well. However, I am totally statisfied with the PQ on this TV - it has exceeded my expectations. I have not seen a better PQ on any set in any store. I'm not justifying my purchase, I researched sets for a year and ruled out every other set. I was in the Sony Style Store over the weekend looking at the 70" SXRD (I waited a year for that TV to come out) and both my wife and I walked away in agreement that our set was sharper with better detail. Granted, the store set up may not have been ideal and my set was professionally calibrated, but it was what it was to our eyes. The Toshiba Cinema series DLP is the TV world's best value and best kept secret in my opinion.

Also, as an aside, my friend has the Sony Qualia 004 projector ($30K) and he spent the money for the upgrade to 1080p inputs ($3K) and is now very upset that he did. He said that you have to really focus and just stare at parts of the screen to see even a minute difference in quality from 1080i to 1080p (he has a blu-ray player that outputs 1080p). He bought a 1080i set for his family room.

Obviously, go by what you see and what you like, not by others. This is just my experience and my opinion.

I'm very impressed with the picture quality of this TV. Well, I'm not only impressed, I'm blown away. My 81 year old father was looking for a 62" HDTV and I recommeded he purchase the 72MX196. He is viewing the picuture via a Comcast digital box (local HD stations only) over component. The analog stations (processed through the box) on this TV look better that my brother-in-law's 42" Panasonic plasma (using digital cable box). The HD stations look amazing. I can't wait to watch the Chicago Bears game tonight on this set.

My father purchased the TV locally at Abt Electronics. The sales guy beat the already discounted web price by a few hundred dollars.
Dukenightvision is offline  
post #296 of 570 Old 12-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Member
 
banditt101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently bought a Toshiba 72HM196. Upgraded it from my Toshiba 62HMX85.
The picture looks great in HD, SD is so so depending on the channel. Either way I bought this for HD. Here are some questions, I would love to get some simple answers.
1) Toshiba claims that this TV is a 1080p. Is this 1080p wobulation or true 1080p like the Sony XBR? Is it my understanding that the HDMI inputs on the 72HM196 accepts all common resolutions like "480p,720p,1080i" and then converts to 1080p? If this is the case how does this Toshiba compare to the Sony True 1080p LCD rear projections?
2) The HDMI input on this TV is not a 1080p input?
3) If its upscaling the image from say "1080i or 720p" to 1080p what kind of processor is doing the scaling? could you say that the scaling process is as good as the DVDO or Algolith Dragonfly scalers?
4) PS3 the upper end model that has the HDMI 1.3 and I believe sends 1080p/24, how would this look on the Toshiba "72HM196 or 72MX196" versus the Sony XBR True 1080p pro-jo's?
5) For Toshiba's HD DVD would it make any sense to spend extra money for the HD-XA2 which I believe is 1080p output or just consider the HD-A2, since there probably would be no difference in image quality?
6) I find that that red colors stand out way to much. What settings would you consider to reduce red without affecting the overall picture?

Anyone able to help with these questions, I would appreciate it very much. I feel that Toshiba should clarify what there 1080p means and how it really works in there specs, online and brochures.

Thank you and kind regards.
banditt101 is offline  
post #297 of 570 Old 01-01-2007, 10:56 AM
GM6
 
GM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditt101 View Post

Recently bought a Toshiba 72HM196. Upgraded it from my Toshiba 62HMX85.
The picture looks great in HD, SD is so so depending on the channel. Either way I bought this for HD. Here are some questions, I would love to get some simple answers.
1) Toshiba claims that this TV is a 1080p. Is this 1080p wobulation or true 1080p like the Sony XBR? Is it my understanding that the HDMI inputs on the 72HM196 accepts all common resolutions like "480p,720p,1080i" and then converts to 1080p? If this is the case how does this Toshiba compare to the Sony True 1080p LCD rear projections?
2) The HDMI input on this TV is not a 1080p input?
3) If its upscaling the image from say "1080i or 720p" to 1080p what kind of processor is doing the scaling? could you say that the scaling process is as good as the DVDO or Algolith Dragonfly scalers?
4) PS3 the upper end model that has the HDMI 1.3 and I believe sends 1080p/24, how would this look on the Toshiba "72HM196 or 72MX196" versus the Sony XBR True 1080p pro-jo's?
5) For Toshiba's HD DVD would it make any sense to spend extra money for the HD-XA2 which I believe is 1080p output or just consider the HD-A2, since there probably would be no difference in image quality?
6) I find that that red colors stand out way to much. What settings would you consider to reduce red without affecting the overall picture?

Anyone able to help with these questions, I would appreciate it very much. I feel that Toshiba should clarify what there 1080p means and how it really works in there specs, online and brochures.

Thank you and kind regards.



1) All 1080p DLP sets use wobulation to get the full 1920x1080 pixels on the screen. Wobulation doesn't take away from image quality on a set like this. Yes, this TV can accept 480i/480p/720p/1080i. For the first 3 the TV will scale the image and then de-interlace it if needed to 1080P. I can't comment on it's scaling ability, seems to do a decent job to my eyes, however, Toshiba's deinterlacer is top notch.

2) Correct, this tv cannot accept a 1080p signal

3)It would difficult for anyone to find out what the sets use for scaling or deinterlacing. The set does a decent job of scaling and a superb job of deinterlacing. if the signal is 1080i, there is no scaling to be done, just deinterlacing. Not all tv's do this well. The toshiba will render the 1080i image in 1080p pixel for pixel and perfectly.

4) the toshiba cannot take a 1080p signal, so on a ps3 you would need to set it to 1080i output. It will look great, since the toshiba can handle 1080i without issues.

5) Not, since it cannot accept a 1080p input, no need to buy a player that can output 1080p unless you are planning for the future. (but by the time you'd replace this set, 1080p players would be cheaper and the format war would most likely be over)

6)This TV can be calibrated by an ISF certified individual. This will give you 6500k color on all inputs, so you shouldn't see any red push. On my uncalibrated 62hm196 I have super high color temps, but I can't even see them unless i'm watching a soccer game in HD. EVERYTHING ELSE looks great when I set the picture settings using AVIA, and apply them to all inputs. But I plan to get the TV calibrated in the spring, so that I will have more true colors. I didn't see any Red push, and even if you see any, it's easy on a MX model to tone the red color down.

-Gagan
GM6 is offline  
post #298 of 570 Old 01-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Senior Member
 
jrock99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcar928fan View Post

I think I need to go look at a 72MX196 again...the only one I saw (I think it was a s195) had a very good PQ and was in a room next door to a 70" SONY and I kept thinking it was almost a toss up w/ a slight edge going to the SONY, but maybe it was just set up better... The actual TV itself is not bad looking either.

How is the 196 different from the 195? I do prefer a Piano black finish too btw.

Also, how are the quality control issues these days. Seems like there have been a LOT of posts about reliability problems...maybe those were old sets. There is NO COMPARISON price wise though! These sets are half as much or less than the SONY product!


Well, I've done 3 side by side sessions with these two, and dragged some people with me, and the Sony won every time. The JVC won 2 side by side tests with the Sony. YMMV, but they somehow seem to get away with charging almost double for LCOS based sets. It's not brand name as JVC is unknown or only known for it's first 720P units (which is not really a good thing per say).

I think the Toshiba sets are good, and well worth the money. The Sonys and JVC's are better, but not for your pocket book. Toshiba MX has an extra PC input and picture settings for each input it has and the coolest looking package.
jrock99 is offline  
post #299 of 570 Old 01-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Member
 
jrock99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc View Post

The toshiba will render the 1080i image in 1080p pixel for pixel and perfectly.

I would disagree, feel free to use the forum search. However it's irrelevant for the most part, "1080p DLP" looks very nice, as many many users can attest to. FWIW I think TI should be shot and pis***d on for calling this 1080p (and they have been for the most part). Same for JVC and the 6 mega pixel light engine. Every company wants to mess with the standards for it's own benefit, of course that makes standards meaningless.

Anyway, I'm looking at the 72MX196 myself right now, and think it fits my needs and budget best, and I'm a very picky shopper.
jrock99 is offline  
post #300 of 570 Old 01-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
f300v10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can disagree all you want but since more than one professional reviewer has stated that these Toshiba's do render every line of a 1080i test pattern, and considering every pixel is refreshed at over 60hz (hence the P in 1080P) you and others would be wrong:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...-dlp-hdtv.html

http://ultimateavmag.com/rearproject...hm/index4.html

Just because opinions are posted on avs does not make them correct. Any display that is favorable compared to the $20,000 Marantz VP-11S1 at 1/10 the price is an excellent display.
f300v10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Rear Projection Units

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off