The official Toshiba 62MX196/72MX196 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why do you need that info? What is your issue?

We are MX owner and you have an HM... Maybe they say the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's the boxed info (first menu item) for the MX:

BRCRL

ADDR ............ DATA

0423H ............ 00H

................ 00000000B
Old 01-25-2007, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Here's the boxed info (first menu item) for the MX:

BRCRL

ADDR ............ DATA

0423H ............ 00H

................ 00000000B

Thanks for the information. A tech came out today - they are replacing the Light Engine.

I asked for those numbers because somehow my screen turned Green all of the sudden, so all areas that where Black are now all Green. Those numbers, as far as I know, should be the defaults, they didn't work either. In any case, a new LE is next.

Thanks DHAN. I appreciate it.

Samsung UN60H7150
Samsung LN46C650
Samsung LN40D630
Toshiba 65HM167
Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 85
62MX196 delivered on Friday (got a great price), and all i can say is "WOW". This TV has the most awesome picture I've ever seen. When I first turned it on, DiscoveryHD showed a lion closeup, and it looked like she was coming right in the room with me. Superman HDDVD and the SuperBowl were absolutely fantastic. So far I love this thing.

I did have a severe yellow push with factory settings, so used Avia and Advanced Color Settings to tame it down and get all colors very vibrant. Will take some time to get it perfect.

I tried connecting PC via DVI - HDMI connector off of ATI Radeon 9200 series - severe overscan at 1920 x 1080, will have to try other settings. Adhir suggested 1760x1008 with an nvidia card. Anyone else using ATI have success with settings?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
Old 02-05-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtwi View Post

62MX196 delivered on Friday (got a great price), and all i can say is "WOW". This TV has the most awesome picture I've ever seen. When I first turned it on, DiscoveryHD showed a lion closeup, and it looked like she was coming right in the room with me. Superman HDDVD and the SuperBowl were absolutely fantastic. So far I love this thing.

I did have a severe yellow push with factory settings, so used Avia and Advanced Color Settings to tame it down and get all colors very vibrant. Will take some time to get it perfect.

I tried connecting PC via DVI - HDMI connector off of ATI Radeon 9200 series - severe overscan at 1920 x 1080, will have to try other settings. Adhir suggested 1760x1008 with an nvidia card. Anyone else using ATI have success with settings?

Hi schmidtwi,

Congrats for your new toy.

I also have a nvidia card and had to go a bit lower than 1920x1080. But I don't remember the exact numbers I had as I now use my HDMI inputs for PS3 and cable set top box. I went back to VGA with the PC...

To help lower your yellow push you can lower its saturation and move its hue slider to the left to make it look a bit more orange (helps with skin tones). Red was a bit too high for my tastes too.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picked up my 62mx196 yesterday, brand new to anything and everything that has to do with HD...but, I'm impressed with the TV. Did some minor picture adjustments and to my untrained eye everything looks great.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Can't wait to get my 62MX196 next week. Just purchased it last weekend online for $1,799!!!+ 150 shipping. After reading the entire 13 pages of the forum in the past few hours, I know I made the right choice. Thank you all for posting some great information.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkabira22 View Post

Can't wait to get my 62MX196 next week. Just purchased it last weekend online for $1,799!!!+ 150 shipping. After reading the entire 13 pages of the forum in the past few hours, I know I made the right choice. Thank you all for posting some great information.

Got the same deal !!!! Mine gets here today, can't wait. Lots of great information in this thread. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I guess that was the same deal I found. I discovered the deal on Sunday, but didn't decide until Monday. On Monday, the price was back to normal so I didn't buy.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post

I guess that was the same deal I found. I discovered the deal on Sunday, but didn't decide until Monday. On Monday, the price was back to normal so I didn't buy.

I debated all day Sunday and pulled the trigger right before close. Glad I did, the price jumped $700 on Monday.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi all,

While watching "Open season" DVD with my little one last night I was thinking... "This TV really has awesome pic quality!". I really enjoy my purchase.

HDMI on this set makes a difference. I tested it against component cables with my cable set top box. It's better, colors, contrast, sharpness, everything...
Old 02-17-2007, 09:05 AM

Hi,

Got this set from the $1799 weekend sale. I am far MORE than pleased with the purchase....have coveted a "larger" TV for 10 years, and the price point finally made sense. I do worry about the lamp replacement cost....looks to be close to $400....wonder if it might make sense to put together a group buy. We all know we're going to eventually need a new lamp!

Anyway, I put a "Kill-A-Watt" power meter on the set.

Off - 20W
First minute after startup - 220W
Stable - 190W

This is with bulb on "low".

I notice that there is a hum/fan running (the 20W draw) after the set was off for several hours. Does anyone know what that is? I assume it's normal. I have Quick Restart turned off.

Joe
Old 02-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

You got a great deal if you bought a NEW 62MX196 for $1799. I've only seen refurbs for that price.

I received a quote for bulbs on this TV at around $187 on line. Make sure you change your setting to "Low Power", it should expand your bulb life substantially.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-19-2007, 05:13 PM

Wow...can you pass along the source that gave you that quote? I haven't seen anything that low, but I haven't looked "deeply" since I hopefully won't need one for a while.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 PM
rdl

Location: Live on a hill overlooking Lake Merideth in the panhandle of Texas.
Been reading this thread for a few weeks and finally decided on the 72mx196. Just received it today. Paid 3999.99 plus 150.00 shipping. Took 8 days to get here but was worth the wait. The HD channels look perfect after some adjustments. I have Dish HD receiver, Denon 3806 HD receiver, Denon 557 DVD player w/HDMI and Cerwin Vega speakers for the 7.1 setup. Everything seems to be working very good. It was hard trying to figure out what to get. Seems like every tv had some downsides. I figured I would just go for the big picture. Going to see if I can get an ISF tech to do final adjustments. Just wanted to thank all of you for your post's and helping me make my decision. Will be a regular here now. Now I'm thinking about an HD dvd player. Blue ray? HD? A combo unit? Not sure yet but I know I'll get alot of good info here to make my final decision. Thanks folks!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mejojo - I would post the Web site of the bulb, but I just lost all my email files - :-(

I will do a search this weekend to see if I can find it again. Hopefully I won't need one for awhile, but it may make sense to have one on hand just in case...

rdl - congrats on your new big toy, you'll enjoy it I'm sure. Your system is similar to mine - I have Dish HD DVR, Denon 4802, Cerwin Vega 7.1 & Toshiba HDDVD. Love the HDDVD - picture is fantastic in regular DVD w/1080i, but unbelievable with HDDVD's. Just wish they'd have more new releases.

And welcome to the AVS Forum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-23-2007, 08:19 AM

Got my tv couple of days ago -

Something inside was broken. I think that the mirrors inside (if it has mirrors) were broken during shipping I presume. When I opened the side panel, I could see pieces of glass on top of the panel door. Obviously, there was no image. They are sending a replacement and thus I am still optimistic

Wish me luck!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:17 AM

I'm considering an 62HM196 and so far the set looks good, but I'm concerned about tweakablility. Does anyone know how to put this set into service mode? If so, can you share?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:28 AM

My dealer told me that a 65HM167 is about to be released in a few weeks. Is this an upgrade from the 62HM196? - anyone have any info?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethBD View Post

My dealer told me that a 65HM167 is about to be released in a few weeks. Is this an upgrade from the 62HM196? - anyone have any info?

Thanks in advance.

I opened a new thread to put in the little I found out about the 2007 models. You can find it here.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post

Been reading this thread for a few weeks and finally decided on the 72mx196. Just received it today. Paid 3999.99 plus 150.00 shipping. Took 8 days to get here but was worth the wait. The HD channels look perfect after some adjustments. I have Dish HD receiver, Denon 3806 HD receiver, Denon 557 DVD player w/HDMI and Cerwin Vega speakers for the 7.1 setup. Everything seems to be working very good. It was hard trying to figure out what to get. Seems like every tv had some downsides. I figured I would just go for the big picture. Going to see if I can get an ISF tech to do final adjustments. Just wanted to thank all of you for your post's and helping me make my decision. Will be a regular here now. Now I'm thinking about an HD dvd player. Blue ray? HD? A combo unit? Not sure yet but I know I'll get alot of good info here to make my final decision. Thanks folks!!!!

I would have thought that this TV would cost less in US, cause I paid CDN$4,060 here in Canada, that's including the matching stand and second year warranty from CC company. Maybe this is the only TV that went up in price while others are dropping because of being such a nice TV. Everyone of my friend, including those that own Sony XBR's and Mits were WOW'ed by it.

Can't tell you much about HD DVD player, have PS3 that play BR and the picture is stunning! This TV upscale everything to 1080 native. My 480i satellite receiver have component out and the picture is so close to HD that most people can't tell the diff.

Wait until you get a couple of 100 hours on the lamp before you get it ISF. Then come back to tell us what he did and how the picture look.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Anyone have any idea why I would be getting a slight delay on a 62MX? I noticed this today when I had the MX and my old Akai in the bedroom on the same channel at the same time. I was getting an echo (delay) on all channels. It doesn't really matter as I don't usually watch two tvs in two different rooms at the same time. I'm just curious as to why it happens. I also have a different cable box on the MX (dvr) than the other tv. My suspicion has to do with some sort of signal processing on the MX, but can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya View Post

Anyone have any idea why I would be getting a slight delay on a 62MX? I noticed this today when I had the MX and my old Akai in the bedroom on the same channel at the same time. I was getting an echo (delay) on all channels. It doesn't really matter as I don't usually watch two tvs in two different rooms at the same time. I'm just curious as to why it happens. I also have a different cable box on the MX (dvr) than the other tv. My suspicion has to do with some sort of signal processing on the MX, but can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!!!

I noticed that too. I just got my tv a week ago. And when I was on the phone with a friend who was watching IDOL, I could hear his tv (Sony) in the background. I liked the song that one of the singers was singing so I decided to watch IDOL too. But there was a considerable delay of little over 5 seconds. He has cable. I have directv. I thought perhaps it was because of different sources? Anyone else notice this?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:08 PM

I have yet to watch HD on this tv. None of the local stores carried this tv so I wasn't able to watch HD on it. I pretty much based my decision on consumer reports and reading forums.

I am actually reconsidering whether to even order HD channels because I am more than happy with the standard programming from my directv. Its only connected via regular RCA video cable too. I plan on connecting the tivo with components sometime this week.

I absolutely love this tv and am very glad that I chose this tv. Thank you all for posting some great information.

The only disappointing thing so far are the speakers. I am not happy with the sound at all. My 10 year Mitsubishi proj tv has better sound. But the picture is great and I have a great home theatre system that more than compensates for the mediocre sound on this tv.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:

I noticed that too. I just got my tv a week ago. And when I was on the phone with a friend who was watching IDOL, I could hear his tv (Sony) in the background. I liked the song that one of the singers was singing so I decided to watch IDOL too. But there was a considerable delay of little over 5 seconds. He has cable. I have directv. I thought perhaps it was because of different sources? Anyone else notice this?

You have to add the delay through the phone line too.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:44 PM
rdl

Location: Live on a hill overlooking Lake Merideth in the panhandle of Texas.
I was wondering how to get to the menu that lets you know how many hours you have on the bulb on a 72MX196. I can't seen to find it anywhere. Any help would be greatly apprecited.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Mine wasn't nearly that long, I'm just talking a fraction of a second. Just enough to cause an echo. It doesn't matter, thats a situation that rarely occurs, I'm just curious as to what the cause is. There also is a slight delay over the phone, so you have to consider that also.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post

I was wondering how to get to the menu that lets you know how many hours you have on the bulb on a 72MX196. I can't seen to find it anywhere. Any help would be greatly apprecited.

6 months and around 1200 hours...
Old 03-12-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya View Post

Mine wasn't nearly that long, I'm just talking a fraction of a second. Just enough to cause an echo. It doesn't matter, thats a situation that rarely occurs, I'm just curious as to what the cause is. There also is a slight delay over the phone, so you have to consider that also.

I have some noticable delay on one or two HD channels through HDMI. Had the same problem with my Sony set but on another channel. Delay on those channels is almost non-existent through audio receiver speakers (optical). If I use both TV speakers and receiver simultaniously I can ear an echo. So I mostly use my audio receiver...
Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 PM

where did you get in canada did you got that deal from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement