The official Toshiba 62MX196/72MX196 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 570 Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by piturra View Post

NOTE: The following I posted in the Silcon Optics HQV HD DVD $15 thread in the "HD DVD Software" area.

====(start of copy)

I received my HD HQV Benchmark yesterday (ordered 6-8-07), and here's the results ...

DISPLAY: Toshiba 62HM196 62" DLP 1080p HDTV
PLAYER: Toshiba HD-A1 (HDMI) w/v2.2 FW

HD NOISE REDUCTION =.................................. 25 PASSED**
HD VIDEO RESOLUTION LOSS =...................... 20 PASSED
VIDEO RECONSTRUCTION 1 = ......................... 10 PASSED (Jaggies - 3 bars, De-Interlacing)
VIDEO RECONSTRUCTION 2 = ......................... within ±10-degree PASSED (Jaggies- 1 rotating bar vs. angle, De-Interlacing)
FILM RESOLUTION LOST TEST SMPTE = ......... 0 FAILED*** (Vertical bands strobing / boxes with the stripped horizontal lines)
FILM RESOLUTION LOST TEST - STADIUM = ... 10 (PASSED*** - No moiré or flickering in the upper stands)

**Toshiba 62HM196 DNR Control = HIGH (previously OFF. I finally could see it's effectiveness with HD HQV Benchmark - see The Perfect Vision article below)

*** According to HQV Testing & Scoring Guide, since the 62HM196 Failed the 1st FILM RESOLUTION LOST TEST, ... the 62HM196 will "Fail" the 2nd FILM RESOLUTION LOST TEST - STADIUM, ... which my 62HM196 PASSED!!!

Comments:
Whatever Toshiba is doing, the 62HM196 video processor can (to a degree - by passing the 2nd FILM RESOLUTION LOST TEST - STADIUM) identify the source cadence and apply the proper inverse cadence to recreate the original 1080p image. Also, Toshiba's video processor in my 62HM196 can properly recognize the source type and apply the right de-interlacing to achieve the full 1080p image.

My results coincides with The Perfect Vision Winter 2007 review & benchmark results with the Toshiba 72HM196 HDTV ...

I Highly recommended this HQV Benchmark HD DVD (& Blu-ray HQV)! It can show you how GREAT (or not) your 1080p HDTV display is!!!

The question is, ... Do You Want To Know???

====(end of copy)

My HD HQV Benchmark results should reflect the entire xxHM/MX196* product line and if there is one thing that I learned from the HD HQV Benchmark experience is that switching the ...

62HM196 DNR Control = HIGH

... helped, ... my overall SD & HD 1080p DVD PQ!!!

*NOTE: Video REFERENCE Calibration via HD DVD Digital Video Essentials!

Phil

Thanks for sharing this info piturra, very interresting. I don't own HQV but will take your word for it and change this setting on my TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 570 Old 06-25-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

I also tweaked "by eye" the red & blue tints and the green saturation in the user menu after (CIE Diagram) calibration with a spider2. The spider2 is not the most accurate tool on the market. I realised that after using 2 different spider2. This is why I decided to tweak a bit more by eye...

Just for info, on my latest calibration results, tweaked by eye (after spyder2 calibration):

Red hue was changed to be a little less orange (5 steps to the left)

Green saturation is now set to 0 instead of the -25 needed to match the CIE diagram. At -25 with regular material, green looks almost completely de-saturated.

Yellow hue is more orange (around 10 steps to the left) which results in much better skin tones

Quote:

And one last thing... I recently started using backlighting. It improves color perception and contrast, deepens the blacks and helps to reduce eye fatigue.

I do not use backlithing anymore cause I realized that like my TV in the dark better!
post #453 of 570 Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by daFlave View Post

I calibrated mine with SD-DVE , I wish I have HD-DVE version ,

Having the HD version of DVE will only confirm what you already calibrated using the SD DVE.

Once I received my HD DVD DVE, I checked ALL my Video Calibration values, and there was NO Difference! It just confirms that the SD DVE video procedure and final results are valid for all digital TVs & HDTVs.

Now, the only advantage w/HD DVE is the 1080p Test Screens & Video HD Samples including the Montage! Those screens and film video looks 3D like and incredible!!!

You can see some sample HD DVE Video Montage & Test Screen digital pic's here! (NOTE: IMHO the Digital pic's represent about 75% of the actual real live PQ!!!)

Phil
post #454 of 570 Old 06-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for sharing this info piturra, very interresting. I don't own HQV but will take your word for it and change this setting on my TV.

Your welcome!

As far as DNR is concerned, ... here's what Scott Wilkinson wrote in his The Perfect Vision Magazine Toshiba 72HM196 Review ...

Quote:

(page 84)

... Digital noise reduction was somewhat effective a setting of high offered some improvement over off, and it didn't degrade the picture, so I left it on.

My HD HQV benchmark allowed me to see what the effects were when I swithed between the different DNR settings Low, Middle, High & AUTO. OFF looked the worse w/lots of noise in the HD HQV HD Noise video test clip. High looked the best without degrading the flower so, ... I now leave my Toshiba 62HM196 DNR = HIGH for my SD & HD DVDs!!!

Phil
post #455 of 570 Old 06-25-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lorry, here you go :

Service menu (Grayscale):

CNTCB/CNTB1: 50H
CNTCR/CNTR1: 64H
CNTCG/CNTG1: 5AH

BRCBL/BRBL1: 04H
BRCRL/BRRL1: 09H
BRCGL/BRGL1: 00H

User menu:

PS3 (HDMI)

Picture Settings

Contrast : 93
Brightness : 55
Color : 45
Tint : 0
Sharpness : 0

Advanced Settings

Dynamic Contrast : Off
DNR : High
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
Color Temperature : Med*
Lamp Mode : High Bright (Low for some movies)
Vertical Edge Enhancer : Off
Color management :

Red : 5, -10, 0
Green 5, 0, 0
Blue : -10, 15, 17
Yellow : -20, -16, 22
Magenta : 4, -16, 0
Cyan : 10, -23, 0

Game Mode : Off

360 Elite (HDMI)

Picture Settings

Contrast : 95
Brightness : 58

Advanced Settings

Dynamic Contrast : Low
Color management :

Red : -5, -10, 0
Green 5, 0, 15
Blue : -10, 15, 10
Yellow : -13, -17, 19
Magenta : 1, -11, 0
Cyan : -5, -30, 5

Cable (Component) by eye...

Picture Settings

Brightness : 57
Color : 55

Advanced Settings

Color management :

Green 5, 0, 0
Blue : -10, 15, 15
Yellow : -10, -10, 15
Magenta : 0, -15, 0
Cyan : -0, -25, 0

*I changed Warm to Med cause skins look too yellow at 6500k for my tastes on this set. I also like my whites a little more punchy (70" set are not as bright as smaller versions). If you want near 6500k colors use the Warm setting, I sometimes do, depending on the material I'm watching.

note: The Cold setting on my HDTV after service menu tweaking is still a bit warmer than the Warm setting on the same HDTV out of the box.
post #456 of 570 Old 06-25-2007, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misclog2003 View Post

Hi All,

I have been reading posts in here since Decemeber of 2006 when I got my 72MX196. I loved the TV so much and have taken advantage of the tips given here. However, about 2 days ago, I thought for some reason all the programs were a bit dull and brightness was off. I took it as problems with my own vision or too much light in the room (summer - sun being around until 9 PM). But now over the last 2 days, the brightness (which is set at 50) has degraded so much even increasing it to 100 has no effect. I can hardly see the picture anymore and god forbid it is a night shot, then all i see is outlines.

I am thinking, lamp issues, but it has been only 6 months and our TV viewing is probably an average of 4 hours a day. But according th the manual, if lamp issues the LED display will change / blin ketc but I have a solid blue light.

I have a call into Toshiba, but was wondering and want to find out if anyone else had this problem and if it is truly lamp / bulb related.

Thanks so much.

Still on original here so can't help you... sorry.
post #457 of 570 Old 06-25-2007, 12:18 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks a lot dhan, your efforts are appreciated.

Lorry
post #458 of 570 Old 06-25-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorry View Post

Thanks a lot dhan, your efforts are appreciated.

Lorry

My pleasure!

another thing, contrast often goes down to 85 with HD movies on PS3 and Elite. stays up with games, DVD movies and cable.
post #459 of 570 Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 PM

10/4. The results look pretty good so far. Thx again.

Lorry
post #460 of 570 Old 06-28-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misclog2003 View Post

Hi All,

I have been reading posts in here since Decemeber of 2006 when I got my 72MX196. I loved the TV so much and have taken advantage of the tips given here. However, about 2 days ago, I thought for some reason all the programs were a bit dull and brightness was off. I took it as problems with my own vision or too much light in the room (summer - sun being around until 9 PM). But now over the last 2 days, the brightness (which is set at 50) has degraded so much even increasing it to 100 has no effect. I can hardly see the picture anymore and god forbid it is a night shot, then all i see is outlines.

I am thinking, lamp issues, but it has been only 6 months and our TV viewing is probably an average of 4 hours a day. But according th the manual, if lamp issues the LED display will change / blin ketc but I have a solid blue light.

I have a call into Toshiba, but was wondering and want to find out if anyone else had this problem and if it is truly lamp / bulb related.

Thanks so much.

Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. yes it was my lamp and it blew. Called Toshiba. They sent a replacement and I got it in 3 days. However, the new lamp doesn't work either. I call them again, I try installing it 3 times to make sure i did everything correctly. Still, no picuter. The blue light is solid and yellow blinks and TV tries to restart several times. Toshiba gave a local service technicians number and asked to setup a inhome inspection of the new lamp and / or TV.

Looks like, it will be another week or ten days, before I have all this sorted out. This is so frustrating.

Sorry don't mean to sound so negative of this TV. It was so great when it was working and I was so proud of the purchase when I could see Planet Earth in all its glory. Hopefully things will turn around
post #461 of 570 Old 06-28-2007, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My cousin also had a weird problem with his 50" Toshiba. They replaced the whole light engine. Took em a full month but he was still able to watch his TV while waiting...
post #462 of 570 Old 07-03-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu69 View Post

Hey guys. Looking to get the 72MX196. Anyone know where in the Vancouver Area i can get the TV? or a Canadian reputable website that will deliver to Vancouver? I have called around everwhere and no one has this TV. Best Buy has the HM version but looking for the MX version if possible. Any help would be great. Thanks

Go see Elaine at SouthVan Color TV, 33rd & Main, small & 70 year old Chinese lady who has been in TV business since the '50s. Tell her Tony sent you and she'll give you my price, guarranteed to knock you out of your socks (exaggerating a bit)
post #463 of 570 Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Lorry, here you go :

User menu:

PS3 (HDMI)

Picture Settings

Contrast : 93

Advanced Settings

Dynamic Contrast : Off
Color management :

Green 5, 0, 0

360 Elite (HDMI)

Picture Settings

Brightness : 58

Advanced Settings

Color management :

Green 5, 0, 15

Picture Settings

Color : 55

Advanced Settings

Color management :

Green 5, 0, 0

*I changed Warm to Med cause skins look too yellow at 6500k for my tastes on this set. I also like my whites a little more punchy (70" set are not as bright as smaller versions). If you want near 6500k colors use the Warm setting, I sometimes do, depending on the material I'm watching.

note: The Cold setting on my HDTV after service menu tweaking is still a bit warmer than the Warm setting on the same HDTV out of the box.

Dhan,Would these settings apply to 62mx196's as well?
post #464 of 570 Old 07-23-2007, 05:48 PM

Well, I just bought myself the 72MX196, the deal was just too good to pass: $2800 with tax.
Before doing my purchase, I looked at this forum and read all the wonderful things people were writing about their units.
Everything looked okay in the store but now that it is home, regular cable seems to be grainy. We only sit at about 14 feet from the set at the moment and the best we're going to get is about 17 feet. Is that the going to make a difference in the way the picture looks??? Is there anything else I can do in the settings to get a better quality? I'm also thinking of getting an HD terminal with Shaw in the hopes that the picture quality will improve, or will it???
If anyone has any answers for me, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.
post #465 of 570 Old 07-24-2007, 01:50 AM

Hey guys,

Seems like there's a lot of solid information here, but unfortunately, I'm not too keen on the tech jargon to pick up on it. Just got one question for you all.....can the 72'' produce a 1080p picture from my PlayStation 3 through HDMI cables? That's one of the big factors in me making this purchase because so far I've read that it does and it doesn't.

A lil' help for the technically disabled would be much appreciated! Thanks!
post #466 of 570 Old 07-25-2007, 12:31 AM

Re-read through the thread and from what I got, the 72MX196 only accepts 1080i inputs and NOT 1080p. If that's true, I think I'll just stick with my Toshiba 65HM167.
post #467 of 570 Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 AM

Hello. I am just about to order one "mx72196" from Tigerdirect. Anybody ever do biz with them and are they ok to deal with. Price is $2599 if I am aloud to say so, or does anybody know where to get a better deal? Also is this set wall mountable? Thanks in advance.
post #468 of 570 Old 07-28-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMXcalibur View Post

Re-read through the thread and from what I got, the 72MX196 only accepts 1080i inputs and NOT 1080p. If that's true, I think I'll just stick with my Toshiba 65HM167.

Yes unfortunately it does only 1080i input, but it does an excellent job scaling the image to 1080p. I was reading somewhere that this is one of the only sets that can actually render the full 1080 lines. I love this set. With the MX line you get color management options. That would prob be the biggest difference from your HM, besides the thinc apps, and cable card slot. I think the sound is also upgraded but I dont use the built in speakers.
post #469 of 570 Old 07-30-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Lo0P0o View Post

Dhan,Would these settings apply to 62mx196's as well?

Maybe... but for the service menu settings, if you want the right color temp, your tv must be calibrated regardless of the results posted in this thread. But I guess my settings are still a good start.
post #470 of 570 Old 07-30-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfou View Post

Well, I just bought myself the 72MX196, the deal was just too good to pass: $2800 with tax.
Before doing my purchase, I looked at this forum and read all the wonderful things people were writing about their units.
Everything looked okay in the store but now that it is home, regular cable seems to be grainy. We only sit at about 14 feet from the set at the moment and the best we're going to get is about 17 feet. Is that the going to make a difference in the way the picture looks??? Is there anything else I can do in the settings to get a better quality? I'm also thinking of getting an HD terminal with Shaw in the hopes that the picture quality will improve, or will it???
If anyone has any answers for me, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.

The mpeg noise reducer does a good job at reducing image noise but your image will look a bit more blurry...

I personally do not use this TV for standard def cable watching. I use it mainly for DVD (upscaled), HD (Blu ray/HD DVD) movies, for HD cable and for HD gaming
post #471 of 570 Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 AM

Ive found the 72mx196 listed as a refurb for 2200 im guessing its just a new close out from tosh? think this would be a worth while risk?

also how many feet back from the set do you have to sit? do most of you have this tv in a very large room?
post #472 of 570 Old 07-31-2007, 04:09 PM

also does anyone know the main diffrence in the Toshiba 65HM167 65 model compared to the one listed above,other than the extra 5 inches in the screen
post #473 of 570 Old 08-01-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

Ive found the 72mx196 listed as a refurb for 2200 im guessing its just a new close out from tosh? think this would be a worth while risk?

I wouldn't buy refurb but it's just me.

Quote:

also how many feet back from the set do you have to sit? do most of you have this tv in a very large room?

11 to 12 feet depending on where I sit. I sometimes play games sitting as close as 8 feet from the screen with the steering wheel and home made support ... Image is still super sharp and the feeling of immersion is awesome! I wouldn't watch a movie at 8 feet tho...
post #474 of 570 Old 08-01-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

also does anyone know the main diffrence in the Toshiba 65HM167 65 model compared to the one listed above,other than the extra 5 inches in the screen

1080p HDMI inputs and 7 inches less
post #475 of 570 Old 08-01-2007, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

latest :

User menu:

PS3 (HDMI)

Picture Settings

Color : 45~60

Advanced Settings

Color Temperature : Med/Warm
Lamp Mode : High Bright
Color management :
Green 5, -5, 0

360 Elite (HDMI)

Picture Settings

Color : 45~60

Advanced Settings

Color Temperature : Med/Warm
Color management :
Green 5, -5, 15

Picture Settings

Color : 47

Advanced Settings

Dynamic Contrast : Low/med
Color Temperature : Med
Color management :
Green 5, -5, 0

note: The Cold setting on my HDTV after service menu tweaking is still a bit warmer than the Warm setting on the same HDTV out of the box (which is way too cold).
post #476 of 570 Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM

whats the deal with refurbs if they have a warranty for 90 days they will be fixed for free anyway?
im trying to decide between this 71mx and the samy 71 and the jvc 70 all in the same price range
post #477 of 570 Old 08-01-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you are comfortable with it, go for it.

I took the 5 year extended warranty (make that 4) on a new one but as I wrote that's just me.

I normally never buy extended warranty for anything but I did for the 2 HDTV I bought: Relatively new stuff, big money (for me), read a lot of not so good stories and witnessed a few first hand so... 90 days is just not safe enough for me. But maybe I wasted my money, only time will tell.

Do as you feel and enjoy!

300 on HD DVD was awesome last night!
post #478 of 570 Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM

I would be buying a 3 yr extended warr also,so i dont see a way to lose other than possibly being out of a tv if they try and pull the we got to take it to the shop to fix it routine?
post #479 of 570 Old 08-05-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Maybe... but for the service menu settings, if you want the right color temp, your tv must be calibrated regardless of the results posted in this thread. But I guess my settings are still a good start.

I thought I'd try it out. I was wondering before you adjusted the gray scale setting did the picture almost seem to have a foggy look, kinda like a smoggy day? Kinda like the gray scale settings were too high?
post #480 of 570 Old 08-06-2007, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Lo0P0o View Post

I thought I'd try it out. I was wondering before you adjusted the gray scale setting did the picture almost seem to have a foggy look, kinda like a smoggy day? Kinda like the gray scale settings were too high?

I had the same feeling when I first bought this TV. When compared to my previous Sony HDTV, image looked a little foggy.

Before I adjusted the service menu settings gray scale was too blue, way too blue. The warm setting temp was a bit over 10000k and med and cold settings were even higher. Now my warm setting is near 6500k But I, most of the time, use the med (7500-8000k) setting cause the warm setting looks too yellowish for my tastes even if it's "technically" more accurate. I prefer to go with what my eyes tell me.

The warm setting also makes the image look a little more foggy as you describe. But it was worse before calibration. Sharpness is very good but it's as if contrast was set too low or brightness a bit too high especially with SD content. Using the med temp setting helps attenuate that somewhat. Boosting the contrast up to 95 also helps attenuate the fogy look. But I think the most effective setting to help get rid of that foggy look is the dynamic contrast which is why it is now set to Low instead of Off as you can see in my the last few calibration posts above. Setting the Dynamic Contrast to Low really helps to get rid of that foggy look, enhance image contrast and adds a more "3D" feel to it plus dark area detail lost is negligible. I even use the med Dynamic Contrast setting with some SD material to further enhance contrast/3D look but keep in mind that the med or high contrast settings will make you loose more detail in dark area and will also make skins look a bit more unnatural.

Play with your own settings and see what works best for you. I set Dynamic Contrast to Off or Low for HD and Low or Med for SD...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units