The official Toshiba 62MX196/72MX196 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 570 Old 04-16-2009, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At the risk of being flamed for RTFP (I've gone through the first 11 pages here) ...

I just had to replace the lamp in my set, and from what I remember from about a year ago, I can get the service menu to see the bulb life timer settings. From what I understand, this value can be reset from the service menu. I've looked on the internet for this information, but I haven't found anything.

How do I access the service menu on this set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 570 Old 10-03-2009, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hi all,

After reading this thread I realized that my calibration quite was a bit off. I had not taken into account the color brightness (Y) but only xy (tint and saturation) in my Color Management System (CMS). So I decided to redo it all over again...

I was able calibrate tint, saturation and brightness (xyY) to almost perfectly match the CIE chart. My only deception is that this set (out of box) has quite a strong yellow cast in skin tones as we can clarely see in the transformer pics (Megan Fox's face) a few posts back. The yellow cast was still a bit apparent even after calibration. So I had to slide the yellow tint a bit towards red color to correct that (while keeping yellow saturation and brightness at proper level) and boy am I happy with the results!!

Here are the results:

Service menu (Grayscale):

Offsets:

CNTCB/CNTB1: -24 (6CH to 54H)
CNTCR/CNTR1: -11 (64H to 59H)
CNTCG/CNTG1: -4 (68H to 64H)

BRCBL/BRBL1: +3 (00H to 03H)
BRCRL/BRRL1: +3 (00H to 03H)
BRCGL/BRGL1: +8 (00H to 08H)

Possible values are 00H, 01H, 02H, 03H, 04H, 05H, 06H, 07H, 08H, 09H, 0AH, 0BH, 0CH, 0DH, 0EH, 0DH, 10H, 11H etc... (up to FFH)

User menu:

PS3 & xbox 360 Elite and Cable (Games, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, DVD and HD broadcasts)

Picture Settings

Contrast : 92
Brightness : 57
Color : 45
Tint : +7
Sharpness : 7

Advanced Settings

Dynamic Contrast : Low
DNR : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
Color Temperature : Warm
Lamp Mode : High Bright
Vertical Edge Enhancer : Off

Color management (CMS) :

Red : 19, -2, 11
Green -9, -8, 21
Blue : -29, 10, 3
Yellow : -13, -9, 2
Magenta : -6, -10, 6
Cyan : 2, -11, 20

Game Mode : Off
post #543 of 570 Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a pic from piturra compared to pics I just took to show that yellow cast is not a problem after calibration and yellow tint adjustment...
Sharpness is a bit off cause cause the camera moved a little (no stand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by piturra View Post

Mikaela Banes (Megan Fox)!!!
Phil

post #544 of 570 Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM

I'm having an issue with my 62MX196 that Toshiba can't seem to diagnose. I do have an extended warranty that is good until 1/12, so there isn't a hurry, but I'd like to get this thing working properly. My symptoms seem to sound familiar to what others have reported here. Heres what happens:

After watching the 62MX196 for a while, usually an hour or more, and without touching the tv or remote, all of a sudden the screen will go black, the audio will be gone, and the blue light in front will remain on solid blue. It stays shut down for a few seconds (I haven't counted how long, but approximately five seconds), and then it attempts to restart. The audio will come back on but the screen will remain black, I can hear the fans starting up and whatever else the noise is when it is first turned on. While it is doing this, the blue light remains solid and the yellow light will flash 15 times, approximately once per second. It will then shut down again and go through the same procedure of trying to restart. Finally on the third restart, it will come back on normally, although on a different channel than I was previously watching. I haven't timed it, but in total, from the time it shuts down the first time, to the time it completely restarts is about a minute, maybe a few seconds longer.

It seems to randomly do this with no pattern other than it doesn't do it right at start up, but rather after being on for an extended period of time. And it doesn't do it every time it is watched.

My source is a Comcast CableCard. I do have a Mac Mini hooked up to it for viewing other content, but watch Comcast the most. Also plugged into a Belkin PureAV power conditioner.

I do have an extended warranty that is good for a couple more years, so I'm not in a hurry, but I'd like to get this resolved. I'd call for service, but with it being so infrequent, I highly doubt that it can be diagnosed here and the shop might end up taking it for a few weeks like a previous poster on here reported. That is why I contacted Toshiba to see if they are able to further diagnose it so I have something to tell the service center when I call, but that didn't help. They said it sounds like the bulb is bad, but if it was the bulb, it wouldn't restart and the tv has no way to tell early indications of a bulb beginning to go bad. The screen hasn't dimmed, and I have no other indications that the bulb is going bad. Also said possibly overheating, but that the lights don't indicate that.

Any ideas why this occurs?

Thanks!!!
post #545 of 570 Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 AM

At the risk of bumping an old thread, I am having the dreaded black screen with the flashing yellow bulb light issue. The blue light remains on.

The bulb is maybe 3 months old. I've had no issues with the TV since I bought it.

Turning it on and off a number of times finally got it on last night but, today, it started up again.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #546 of 570 Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 AM

For what it's worth, I just gave mine away. The part (I believe it's 'the ballast') that has gone bad is not available, and I am not willing to try to repair it, although I understand it's possible.

The person I gave mine (62HM196) says he may be able to get someone to repair the ballast; in the meantime, he just won't shut it off.

Dave Kelsen

Dave Kelsen
post #547 of 570 Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdking View Post

I have a question and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else before? I have the Toshiba 62MX196. I just recently had my lamp replaced (Y-196) it was under warranty with a one time free replacement. The original lasted me roughly 2yrs. Well before the original lamp had gone out it would do things like give me a black screen but still had audio. So I would unplug the tv and plug it back in then it would work fine for awhile. Well that lasted about a month then finally it got replaced. So now I have the new lamp installed I have had it installed for less then a month. Now today my son is watching tv and the screen goes black with audio. I had a solid blue light with a yellow flashing light the same thing it did with the original lamp. So I shut it off with the remote for a minute then back on and still no picture. So I ended up unplugging the tv then plugging it back in and now it works fine. I had my lamp set at high lamp so I now set it back to low. Dont know if that matters but seemed like a smart thing to do. I understand it goes into a restarting phase when the lamp gets hot I think if I remember correctly. Is that what the tv was doing? Or is this less then a month old lamp crap? If it matters I have direct tv hd not sure what the sat box model number is? Was hoping someone could give me some insight on this issue or is or has anyone else run into this same situation before? Its also plugged into my monster battery backup.

No answer to your problem, but I have a similar one. When I first turn on the TV, there is no picture (HDMI input). The only way I have found to fix the problem is to unplug the TV for about 10 seconds, then plug it in. This (so far) always restores the picture. I am using a large UPS to power my entire system. Anyone have a reason for/solution to this problem?
post #548 of 570 Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Liked: 32
For people having ballast issues or needing parts, this place is the only reliable and dependable I have been able to find that can and will actually help you out. Hope this helps someone. Just type your model number in the search box.

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/Default.aspx
post #549 of 570 Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some changes for better pic (skin tones and perceived black level):

Service menu (Grayscale):

Offsets:

CNTCB/CNTB1: -24 (6CH to 54H)
CNTCR/CNTR1: -11 (64H to 59H)
CNTCG/CNTG1: -4 (68H to 64H)

BRCBL/BRBL1: +3 (00H to 03H)
BRCRL/BRRL1: +3 (00H to 03H)
BRCGL/BRGL1: +8 (00H to 08H)

Possible values are 00H, 01H, 02H, 03H, 04H, 05H, 06H, 07H, 08H, 09H, 0AH, 0BH, 0CH, 0DH, 0EH, 0DH, 10H, 11H etc... (up to FFH)

User menu:

PS3 & xbox 360 Elite and Cable (Games, Blu-ray, DVD and HD broadcasts)

Picture Settings

Contrast : 92
Brightness : 47
Color : 45
Tint : 0
Sharpness : 7

Advanced Settings

Dynamic Contrast : Low or sometimes Med (depends of the source)
DNR : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
Color Temperature : Warm
Lamp Mode : High Bright
Vertical Edge Enhancer : Off

Color management (CMS) :

Red : 19, -2, 11
Green -9, -8, 21
Blue : -29, 10, 3
Yellow : -22, -9, 2
Magenta : -6, -10, 6
Cyan : 2, -11, 20

Game Mode : Off
post #550 of 570 Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM

Got a problem with a 3yr old 62MX196.

Original bulb went out a while back. New one went in about eight months ago. About six weeks ago, got a deal where the TV's yellow light would blink three times as the blue light was on. Then, it would shut off and repeat.

I unplugged the TV based on advice here. Turned it on the next day and all was well.

Last night, same deal. I unplug and tried this afternoon. Still with the yellow flashing bulb light. I decided to leave it on and eventually found the yellow light blinking with the red light staying one (no blue at all).

I held in the power button for 10 secs. No help.

I decided to check the bulb but it looks like the day I put it in (though I am not sure what a blown one would look like unless it's obvious). There was no darkening picture with this bulb as there was with the last.

Here's the pattern:

1. Plug in, three sets of three flashing yellow.

2. Blue comes on.

3. Yellow flashing 15 times with blue on.

4. Step #3 repeats eight times before blue is replaced with a flashing red light while the yellow stays on.

I'm looking for some help here before calling a repair guy or ordering a new bulb. Thanks.
post #551 of 570 Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Look for your ballast and replace/repair. That is what you describe is the issue, not the lamp:

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/...aspx?k=62MX196
post #552 of 570 Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 AM

Many thanks except there are none available anywhere I look.

I asked a tv repair guy how much to replace a ballast and got this reply:

"The lamp ballast is NLA. Only repair is the light engine is available. The total repair part, labor and tax is $701.33."
post #553 of 570 Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanJeff View Post

Many thanks except there are none available anywhere I look.

I asked a tv repair guy how much to replace a ballast and got this reply:

"The lamp ballast is NLA. Only repair is the light engine is available. The total repair part, labor and tax is $701.33."

Here is the LED diagnostic information, sorry I did not see this sooner

1 Red and Green turn off. Power supply OFF. (AC)
--
2 Blue is ON (solid). The TV is operating properly.
--
3 Yellow blinks. In LPS mode (standby with Quick Restart ON).
See "Setting the Quick Restart? feature".

4 Blue is ON (solid).
Yellow blinks. The lamp is not working properly.
The TV will automatically try to restart itself eight times (see item #4).

5 Yellow is ON (solid).
Red blinks. The lamp is not working properly after the eighth automatic restart (see item #3).
Turn the TV OFF and then ON again. If the problem persists, replace the lamp unit.

6 Yellow is ON (solid). The lamp unit door is not seated properly.
Turn OFF the TV and unplug the power cord.
Refer "LAMP UNIT REPLACEMENT" to ensure that the lamp unit door is installed securely.

7 Red blinks.
Fan stopped (light engine).
Is the supply voltage for FAN on the Power unit normal?
Has the dust accumletd in the FAN ?
• If the output voltage is not abnormal, replace the faulty FAN with a new one.

8 Blue is ON (solid).
Green blinks. Fan stopped (POD).
Is the POD FAN rotating?
Check the supply voltage fro FAN on the Power unit(See itme #7)

9 Blue blinks slowly. Abnormal operation of BUS line.
• Check the faulty device through the self diagnostics function under SERVICE mode.
• Does BUS line (SCL, SDA) work normally?
If the BUS line is under abnormal conditions, replace the faulty device with a new one.

10 Blue blinks quickly. Power Protect Detection.
The Over Voltage Protection of the power supply is operating.
Check the possible causes for the protection circuit operating.

11 Blue blinks quickly.
Red blinks. The color wheel has stopped.
• Is the output voltage of the power supply circuit normal?
If the output voltage is normal, replace the engine with a new one.

Blue blinks quickly.
Yellow blinks.
Red blinks.
An abnormal temperature increase has occurred.
• Is the ventilating hole in the set (exhaust slot on the rear) blocked or covered?
• Is FAN rotating normally?
• Has dust accumulated in the ventilating hole?
If no abnormal conditions are found, replace the engine with a new one.

I would go with a new lamp.
post #554 of 570 Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM

Anyone know how to reset the lamp counter? I'm able to get into the service menu to see the lamp hours, but don't see any way to reset it.

Thanks!
post #555 of 570 Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 AM

No reset I am aware of. Write down the existing # and tape it to the back of the TV to keep track of hours.
post #556 of 570 Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM

I own the 62MX196 and I am thinking of selling it. Can anyone here give me an idea as to what they think this tv is worth now? Everything works perfect with it and I am on my second bulb. Thanks
post #557 of 570 Old 01-03-2011, 06:53 PM

If you are lucky, $500 bucks.
post #558 of 570 Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 PM

my 72MX196 had been very good since 2006 although we rarely watch more than 15~20 hours a month. After all these years, I thought I should buy a spare lamp since many are advertising around CDN$125 for OEM type lamp.

I order one from Projector Lamp Source who claimed to sell nothing but OEM.

Well, like a bad dream, it arrived what looks like just an aftermarket lamp. I installed this lamp and it always took 3~5 restart to get picture (never had this problem with original lamp).

I question the company and they immediately asked me to return the lamp, gave me the refund. I put the original lamp in and it work for a couple of times then a refused to light up anymore.
Question is did I damaged the Ballast using aftermarket lamp?

as for error codes, when I turn on the TV, I got just the normal blue light, no picture or sound and in very dark room, I can see the lamp trying to light up once or twice with extremely faint light but failed after. When I tried to power off with remote, nothing happen. I had to press and hold the power button on the set to power off and that's when I get the yellow light blinking 3 times every 2 seconds - did not see this code in my user's manual and talking to Toshiba customer service is like talking to a cow!

Anyone had such experience?
Thanks, max
post #559 of 570 Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Hey Max,

I am having the exact same problem. I replaced the bulb abouta year and a half ago and have been fighting to get the tv to come on the first hit of the power button ever since. Tonight the picture went out and the red light came on after about 2 hours of having the tv on. I pulled the lamp and it was fine so I am guessing that it is the ballast from the other threads that I have read. Looking to replace it as quickly as possible I started searching for a new ballast. Looks like they stopped making them, only one I can find is a used one on ebay for $150. All the other online stores are sold out. Does anyone know where I can get a new ballast? The tv has been great for the past 5 years and I would rather spend a couple hundred bucks to get it fixed rather than a couple thousand for a new one. If you notice the date on my message, yes the super bowl is tomorrow.

Thanks,
aknox19
post #560 of 570 Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Folks,

With the idea of bumping this post, I wanted to take a moment to make an observation about the supposed "ballast", light engine, blanking screen...

If you happen across my original experience with my 62MX196 here in the thread, you'll see that I had this "blanking" "non-restart" issue about 3 months after originally purchasing my TV.  At that time (under warranty) the Toshiba repair folks came, took my TV and replaced the logic board.   All has been well, and since 2007, I am only on my 2nd bulb.

Recently, I switched from Cable to FiOS.   Now, we have two TiVo's here with CableCards, and that is usually how we get our TV signal. (One TiVo S3 is hooked up to my office TV, while I have a TiVo Premiere XL hooked up to the 62MX196.).   Anyway, as part of the switch, I thought it would be good to finally get the CableCard for the 62MX196 as well.  (This would provide yet another tuner to watch from, in the event that two things were recording at the same time already).

I installed the CableCard recently myself, and the process actually went quite well.  Everything appeared to work well, even though it was a Multi-Stream Card.   It worked.

Then about 2-3 days later, my wife told me the TV was "turning-off" by itself.   Oh well, I thought it was perhaps just an anomaly.   Then it happened again, and this time, I was able to observe.   The symptom is exactly the same as what has been posted previously:

TV screen goes blank with no sound.
Blue LED remains on.
After several seconds, you will hear some "clicking"
Then the light engine appears to try to restart
Sound comes back
But no picture
Yellow LED flashes indicating trying to restart
No joy.

You have to turn the TV off for several seconds (30sec or more), then turn it back on and all will be well for a time.

After several weeks of this behavior sporadically occurring, the problem began to manifest with increasing regularity.   Turning off the TV for several second and then back on again always fixed.

In an effort to try to ameliorate, I unplugged the TV for 30min+, to try to perhaps clear out any memory resident bogey-men that might be causing the issue.   This seemed to help somewhat, moderating the frequency of the fault occurrence.

Then it hit me, and I started thinking...

When I had my original issue, it was only AFTER I had switched from HDMI input for my TiVO to the ANT input (watching basic non-cableCARD cable) and then back again to HDMI.   In that case, ultimately, even after powering down we were never able to get a picture back, and that forced me to call for Service where the Toshiba tech took the TV and replaced my logic board (so they said).

So I theorized that perhaps my recent new installation of the CableCARD might be causing the issue now.   So I removed it.

BOOM!   No issue.   Not once since I've removed the CableCARD has the 62MX196 malfunctioned with the issue.   That has been over a week now.

This leads me to believe that there is some SW issue when switching between inputs (ANT and HDMI) that facilitates this "failure to re-start" issue.   I also believe that adding the cableCARD further helps facilitate.

In doing some research online, it appears that Toshiba did in fact release a new FW/SW update for 62/72MX196, and from what I can tell one of the items addressed is for Multi-Stream CableCARD support.   Unfortunately, this FW upgrade does not seem to be available (downloadable) from anywhere, and the only posts I could find seem to indicate that it requires a Service Call from a Tech to get implemented.  (Apparently, you need a PCMCIA type "flash" drive to plug into the CableCARD slot in order download the FW/SW to the TV.)   From what I've read, it looks like the "Service Call" to simply upgrade the FW/SW will run upwards of $250, and that is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable and ridiculous. 

When I have time, I will inquire with Toshiba and see what satisfaction I can get.   My expectations however are quite low in this regard.

This is a shame, as my 62MX196 is still absolutely a wonderful TV that has an OUTSTANDING picture.  I really don't want to replace it at this time, (let alone have to go through all the research just to determine what exactly SHOULD be the replacement with today's available products).   So even if it costs >$200 for the SW upgrade, I may bite the bullet.   We'll see.

Anyway, as I mentioned at the beginning, I wanted to post my observations here, as I'm sure there are others who may benefit from my experience with this issue.

Barry
post #561 of 570 Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Barry, I had a similar experience. I own a 62HM196, had it since 2007, currently on my third bulb (purchased 2 years ago). I have no CableCard, by the way, but am experiencing the same problem.

I was watching TV last week via HDMI input (DirecTV) and switched to ANT1 to watch an OTA signal while two things were recording on my DirecTV receiver. I wanted to see what was on PBS (channel 8.1 here in Phoenix) so I tried switching to it. Screen went blank and yellow light was flashing after a few minutes. I've since been able to duplicate the effect on a couple of channels.

Here's my experience (done this several times today just to document it effectively).

1. Went to Installation/Channel Program/ANT1 menu and let the TV scan for channels.
2. Tuned to each of the following Phoenix channels to make sure they were working just fine: 3.1, 5.1, 10.1, 12.1, 15.1, 33.1, 45.1, 61.1. All worked fine.
3. Upon switching to either 7.1 or 8.1, the following sequence occurs:

A. Picture black, channel number appears in bottom right corner of screen just as usual as the TV tries to tune channel.
B. After about 10-15 seconds, there's a "click" and the channel number disappears.
C. After another 10-15 seconds, there's another "click" and a few seconds later the sound comes back on, but it's the audio from the previous working channel prior to switching to 8.1 or 7.1.
D. After a few seconds of sound, the yellow light begins flashing--it flashes 15 times, this happens with no interruption to the audio from the previous working channel
E. After the 15 flashes, there are 2 clicks within a couple of seconds of each other, this also happens with no interruption to the audio from the previous working channel

The 15 flashes followed by 2 clicks will repeat 2 or 3 times, and then the picture will return. The TV is back on the previous working channel.

The entire sequence takes about 2 minutes before a picture returns, but no matter what I do, I cannot tune to 8.1 or 7.1. (actually, just tried it on 8.2, another local channel and it doesn't work either)

I ordered a replacement bulb today and should have it next week, just to see if replacing the bulb has any effect whatsoever on the problem.
I'll update again next week, but wanted to get this message out there anyway.

I'm also going to try plugging the antenna (set-top UHF antenna, in case you wondered) into ANT2 and see if the same effect occurs on ANT2.

More to come!
- Dave Lewis, Avondale, AZ
post #562 of 570 Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 AM

Hi Dave,

It sounds like the same thing...that there is a SW issue causing the lamp restarts when switching between ANT and HDMI...

I just had to replace my bulb on Sunday, so now we are on bulb 3 since 2007. I guess that isn't too bad.

I never did have Toshiba come and update the SW. I bought a new TiVo 4XL and used the CableCARD for that device. So 62MX196 remains CableCARDless...

In the meantime, wifey and I are eyeing up replacement TVs....probably go with a new LED LCD with 240Hz refresh...
post #563 of 570 Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry R. Guzik View Post

Hi Dave,

It sounds like the same thing...that there is a SW issue causing the lamp restarts when switching between ANT and HDMI...

I just had to replace my bulb on Sunday, so now we are on bulb 3 since 2007. I guess that isn't too bad.

I never did have Toshiba come and update the SW. I bought a new TiVo 4XL and used the CableCARD for that device. So 62MX196 remains CableCARDless...

In the meantime, wifey and I are eyeing up replacement TVs....probably go with a new LED LCD with 240Hz refresh...

Yeah, just to follow up, I put in a brand new bulb from Toshiba (not a knock-off) and still have the same problem.

But get this. I just fixed my problem another way a few minutes ago (hopefully?).

I went into the menu and under the INSTALLATION menu, in the SYSTEM STATUS section, I selected SYSTEM INFORMATION.
There's a page in there for FACTORY DEFAULTS.
I told it to reset to the factory defaults, unplugged the TV after that as instructed, plugged it back in, and turned it on.
I skipped the TV Guide setup and went straight to the CHANNEL PROGRAM section (under TERRESTRIAL in the INSTALLATION menu).
After programming, I started checking out the channels that didn't work before. They work fine now. Switched to HDMI input...working fine. Switched back to TV...working fine.

Have you tried that yet?
post #564 of 570 Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Liked: 11
Dave,

I just joined the AVS forum today so I could THANK YOU for your solution to my 62MX196 problem, which is exactly as described in the postings above. You've saved me a major repair expense!

Everything is working fine again, including my ANT inputs. The HDMI inputs never stopped working, but now both ANT1 and ANT2 coax inputs are working again after suddenly failing 2 days ago.

TV was purchased Jan2007. Software version is 2.2.62.0 dated 17Aug2006. Toshiba advised there is no software/ firmware upgrade available.
Dave Alan Lewis likes this.
post #565 of 570 Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM

That's so cool!
Glad I could help.
I hope others who have a similar problem stumble upon this thread like you and I did.

Cheers!
post #566 of 570 Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 PM

The whole incident is a little bizarre. When the input was set to ANT1, or ANT2, or even with the coax cable disconnected altogether, according to the manual the solid blue, flashing yellow lights advised the lamp was failing.

However the HDMI inputs never had a problem so the pending lamp failure didn't seem logical. I contacted Toshiba and they advised the flashing yellow light can also mean some other problem with the mainboard.

I'm wondering if the "Reset to factory settings" has an effect similar to a clean install of the operating system on a computer. I also wonder (and this is admittedly a little far-fetched) if this problem is at all related to the recent loss of the TVGOS signal here in late February. I had the TVGOS set up, so the TV has been trying unsuccessfully to download the TV Guide for over a month now.

Whether that might eventually cause a problem with the software, I don't have any idea.

Since the reset today I have not set up the TVGOS. (just in case).
post #567 of 570 Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM

I have no TVGOS channels in Phoenix anymore (that I can find, at least) so I haven't bothered to try to set it up again.

I'm thinking the same that you are...that it's a software issue and the "factory reset" is the same as re-installing the OS after it develops bugs. Either way, it seems to fix the problems without having to do any hardware replacements so it logically must have SOMETHING to do with the software.
post #568 of 570 Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 AM

Here in southern Ontario Channel 9-1 (Toronto) terminated TVGOS transmission in late February, a few months after Channel 17-1(?) in Buffalo. TVGOS data appears to only be available now via the internet which only the newer "smart TVs" are designed for. Our newer Sony "smart TV" displays the TV Guide just fine.

I contacted Toshiba and was advised the 62MX196 firmware/software cannot be modified to receive and process TVGOS data from the internet via the RJ45 jack.

Well at least the TV is working again.
post #569 of 570 Old 07-20-2013, 07:51 AM

Hi Folks,

This will likely be my last post to this thread...I just wanted to do a postmortem on my 62MX196...

So...my wife and I finally decided it was time, (with some helpful nudging by Vizio's release of their new 2013 240Hz "m" series line, coupled with a Sam's Club sale), and we purchased a new Vizio m701d-A3 70"

(I'll likely post my more detailed feedback on the new TV over in that owners thread...but in the meantime, suffice to say we are already EXTREMELY satisfied moving from the 62MX196 over to the m701d-a3. Once I have the chance to get a new blu-ray calibration disc I will calibrate and expect to be even more satisfied. In the meantime, some simple tweaking based on feedback in the Vizio m-series owners thread has given actually pretty spectacular results. There is NO question that my Avatar blu-ray (2D) is STUNNING on this set...even with out-of-box "game" mode settings... Also of note is the MUCH MUCH cleaner components install with the new Entertainment center [Sonax Granville 65in cabinet...this versus the Toshiba matching "open" design stand that came with my 62MX196,] and the VERY noticeable "space" improvement over the DLP...I don't know if I could go back to a big DLP now... )

Anyway, the 62MX196 continues to have (so-far, correctable) problems...but...we were getting tired of "fan stop" messages and the light engine not starting for otherwise anomalous issues on power up. We've still been able to fix by unplugging for a short time...and then re-power up, but that get's old. IMHO there is a SW problem in this set that is probably corrected with a firmware upgrade, but I'm not willing to pay Toshiba for it...especially in this day and age where SW updates should be end-user friendly/applicable...hell...that was the paradigm already in 2006 when the TV was new!

So it is "adios" to the 62MX196 and "hola" to the Vizio m701d-a3. I have a friend who's going to take the 62MX196 off my hands...he's been fully disclosed on the "issues", and knows I am washing my hands of it once he takes it. (My "fee" for the TV is simply that he has to come and pick it up...so it's not too bad of deal for him, especially since he's also getting an extra new replacement bulb that was just recently purchased).

Well, anyway, that's it for us on the Toshiba 62MX196. There is no question that when working, this TV STILL has a spectacular picture (after calibration), but its day has come...

Barry
post #570 of 570 Old 07-20-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry R. Guzik View Post

Hi Folks,

This will likely be my last post to this thread...I just wanted to do a postmortem on my 62MX196...

So...my wife and I finally decided it was time, (with some helpful nudging by Vizio's release of their new 2013 240Hz "m" series line, coupled with a Sam's Club sale), and we purchased a new Vizio m701d-A3 70"

(I'll likely post my more detailed feedback on the new TV over in that owners thread...but in the meantime, suffice to say we are already EXTREMELY satisfied moving from the 62MX196 over to the m701d-a3. Once I have the chance to get a new blu-ray calibration disc I will calibrate and expect to be even more satisfied. In the meantime, some simple tweaking based on feedback in the Vizio m-series owners thread has given actually pretty spectacular results. There is NO question that my Avatar blu-ray (2D) is STUNNING on this set...even with out-of-box "game" mode settings... Also of note is the MUCH MUCH cleaner components install with the new Entertainment center [Sonax Granville 65in cabinet...this versus the Toshiba matching "open" design stand that came with my 62MX196,] and the VERY noticeable "space" improvement over the DLP...I don't know if I could go back to a big DLP now... )

Anyway, the 62MX196 continues to have (so-far, correctable) problems...but...we were getting tired of "fan stop" messages and the light engine not starting for otherwise anomalous issues on power up. We've still been able to fix by unplugging for a short time...and then re-power up, but that get's old. IMHO there is a SW problem in this set that is probably corrected with a firmware upgrade, but I'm not willing to pay Toshiba for it...especially in this day and age where SW updates should be end-user friendly/applicable...hell...that was the paradigm already in 2006 when the TV was new!

So it is "adios" to the 62MX196 and "hola" to the Vizio m701d-a3. I have a friend who's going to take the 62MX196 off my hands...he's been fully disclosed on the "issues", and knows I am washing my hands of it once he takes it. (My "fee" for the TV is simply that he has to come and pick it up...so it's not too bad of deal for him, especially since he's also getting an extra new replacement bulb that was just recently purchased).

Well, anyway, that's it for us on the Toshiba 62MX196. There is no question that when working, this TV STILL has a spectacular picture (after calibration), but its day has come...

Barry

The extra bulb I had for our 62MX196 lasted less then a year so when it came time to replace it we decided on one from Amazon that said OEM but I could tell right away the housing is NOT OEM. Instead of a fully contained bulb behind glass there's only a strip of glass across the center of it! That means if the lamp blows (like the last one did) we can kiss the set good bye since it'll blow the glass all over the inside of the set. I tried to persuade her to look at getting a new set (reminding her of the overscan etc) but she said 'no'. She said she's happy with the set. Since this set is in the living room (I have my man cave w/projector etc) I convinced her to buy a real OEM lamp and then use this 'knock-off' as a temp the next time the lamp goes out.
We've had this set for @7 years and aside from replacing the lamps the set has worked flawless. The first lamp lasted 5-6 years and that was running a LOT (I don't know the hours that were used: [mental note: reset the clock for the new lamp to track the hours and find the notes on how to do that!]) so until she's no longer happy or we can't get the OEM lamp - she'll keep watching it! ps - at $120 a lamp from Toshiba - that was another reason she opted for the lamp. EVen at one lamp a year it'd take @5-6 years to equate to buying a new set.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page