The official Toshiba 62MX196/72MX196 OWNER'S THREAD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 570 Old 09-16-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally pulled the trigger and bought the 72MX196. Previously owned a KDFE60A20 with good overall pq but weak Black depth.

Samsung HL-S7178W was a tough contender: better default colors than Tosh but too blurry for my tastes and especially on xbox 360...

Sony is too expensive and Mitsubushi is not available in CANADA and seems to have average dvd PQ...

For me MX series wins over HM just for individual color managment...

More to come
dhan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 570 Old 09-17-2006, 06:43 AM
Member
 
torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congratulations on your new purchase. How is the picture on your new toy?
torch is offline  
post #3 of 570 Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Newbie
 
Reneedalady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw this set for the first time just yesterday. It's absolutely beautiful! Perhaps the nicest looking cabinet design on the market in my opinion. I am giving serious consideration to this one considering the INCREDIBLE price I can get on one. Rainbows and lack of 1080p input are giving me pause however. Finding a somewhat affordable larger television has been quite an exasperating experience. XBR2 seems to be the only option that covers everything, but for that kind of money I'd rather buy a new motorcycle. If Toshiba had included true 1080p inputs I think I'd just take my chances with the RBE and get one for sure. In your experience so far, how is the RBE on this set compared to other dlp's?
Reneedalady is offline  
post #4 of 570 Old 09-17-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneedalady View Post

I saw this set for the first time just yesterday. It's absolutely beautiful! Perhaps the nicest looking cabinet design on the market in my opinion. I am giving serious consideration to this one considering the INCREDIBLE price I can get on one. Rainbows and lack of 1080p input are giving me pause however. Finding a somewhat affordable larger television has been quite an exasperating experience. XBR2 seems to be the only option that covers everything, but for that kind of money I'd rather buy a new motorcycle. If Toshiba had included true 1080p inputs I think I'd just take my chances with the RBE and get one for sure. In your experience so far, how is the RBE on this set compared to other dlp's?

The set was delivered just yesterday so I have about only 3 to 4 hours playing with it from 11 to 3 am last night and a couple of hours today. So far so good, no RBE for me. The only time I saw RBE was on a 2 years old 50" Toshiba set with Sin City but I had to turn my head really fast away from the set to see them. This week I'll rent it again to see if I can see RBE on my set...
dhan is offline  
post #5 of 570 Old 09-17-2006, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by torch View Post

Congratulations on your new purchase. How is the picture on your new toy?

I'll try to take some pics soon
dhan is offline  
post #6 of 570 Old 09-17-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
HT Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Isle of Kent, MD USA
Posts: 1,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the difference between a 62MX195 and 62MX196? And am I to understand that you input 1080i and the set makes that 1080p?

Jerry the HT Nut
HT Nut is offline  
post #7 of 570 Old 09-17-2006, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut View Post

What is the difference between a 62MX195 and 62MX196? And am I to understand that you input 1080i and the set makes that 1080p?

I don't know much about the mx195 but from what I read:

-There seems to be a fairly annoying fan noise problem with the 195. I don't have that with the 72mx196. The noise may be there but barely noticable so to me it's not an issue. My xbox 360 is MUCH louder.

-One professional reviewer wrote there where only one global user preference setting for all inputs on the HM195 regarding picture settings such as brightness, color, noise reduction and so on... On the 72MX196 I can set personal preference for each input individually.

-From what I saw in a store and read in reviews (HM195) the MX195 has more bluish blacks. This is not an issue on my 72MX196 but it may have to do with ambient lighting...

-Contrast and black details are also said to be better on the MX196. All I can say is that Black level on this set is beyond my expectations (having previously seen my friend's 56HMX95 on which blacks where not that deep, especially under dim ambient lighting). In a room with no light, blacks are not completely inky but reeeeally not far from it. Detail in blacks compares to what I saw on sony LCoS sets.

The MX196 inputs only 1080i via HDMI and upconverts to 1080p but it's good at it, at least visually. On my Sony KDF60EA20 I was able to send good looking 720p signal via DVI-HDMI from my PC my but 1080i was way too blurry and barely readable. On the MX196, 1080i(1080p) is crystal clear via DVI-HDMI. (I was only able to get 1024x768 (4/3) using VGA input which is not good enough for me and this why I prefer to use HDMI input over VGA).
dhan is offline  
post #8 of 570 Old 09-17-2006, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So far I am really REALLY satisfied with my purchase (my wife could testify ) especially when using my 360 at 1080i. Picture never looked better! The sreen is big and razor sharp on the 360! DVDs are excellent too. Even SD signal (with mpeg noise reduction activated) is better than it was on my KDFE60A20 regarless of the 12 inches size difference.
dhan is offline  
post #9 of 570 Old 09-17-2006, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's my setup, photo quality is soso, I'm not a photograph
LL
LL
LL
dhan is offline  
post #10 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Member
 
slaxer07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mx195's

1. Have no annoying fan noise (my xbox 360 is 100 time louder)
2. mx's inputs are able to be set individually
3. If you saw bluish blacks than that tv was not calibrated correctly (looking at a 196 and a 195 PQ are about identical)


mx196's

1. Uses a new processor
2. No IEEE1394 inputs

Are you sure on the hdmi accepting 1080p because I though it did.

Nice setup!
slaxer07 is offline  
post #11 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the info slaxer07

Maybe the fan noise is a only bug on a few sets... or on the HM195 model?? I was reading about that in another thread just before i received my MX196 and it got me worried... for nothing!

Can we also configure inputs of HM195/196 individually?

I saw bluish black on one MX195 but there were really not that bad. I read somewhere that default warm temperature on HM195 sets was around 11000 k... which would tend to be a little blue... anyways if it's not the case it's a good thing!

I'll double check my user manual for the 1080i/p inputs... but as I said 1080(i or p) pc input is way sharper than it was on my previous Sony LCD set (which had a native resolution of 768p). I'm very satisfied with the result regardless of the i/p inputs... I guess progressive would explain the clarity tho...
dhan is offline  
post #12 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Macroblocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Finally pulled the trigger and bought the 72MX196. Previously owned a KDFE60A20 with good overall pq but weak Black depth.

Samsung HL-S7178W was a tough contender: better default colors than Tosh but too blurry for my tastes and especially on xbox 360...

Sony is too expensive and Mitsubushi is not available in CANADA and seems to have average dvd PQ...

For me MX series wins over HM just for individual color managment...

More to come

I just got the 62mx196 last week and I think its got good black levels, better than the 95 or 195 models. I cant even hear the fan, it seems to run quiet on these new models. With the Toshiba HD DVD player hooked up to this TV you will be taken away to HD heaven.
If I were to say anything negative about the TV it would be that 720p doesn't look as good as 1080i ,i know i know it should look better but i remember 720p looking a bit better on a 720p set. Toshiba really has great processing and resolves every line in a 1080i signal. I am very happy with my purchase
Macroblocker is offline  
post #13 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Newbie
 
ncarlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys, just ordered the 72mx196 and it should arrive this saturday. any suggestions on the tv stand to use? i didn't really like the one that was built for it. thanks in advance.

72mx196
DTV H20
KD-S860SU DVD
ncarlitos is offline  
post #14 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarlitos View Post

hey guys, just ordered the 72mx196 and it should arrive this saturday. any suggestions on the tv stand to use? i didn't really like the one that was built for it. thanks in advance.

I bought the 71" samsung stand (TR71..something) and I am very happy with it. It is about half an inch wider than the 72MX196 and a inch and a half deeper (see pic above). The reason I didn't buy the toshiba stand is because it has a vertical support right in the middle and that would have prevented me too center my center channel under the TV...
dhan is offline  
post #15 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A few more DVD pics... white balance on my camera is unstable so be gentle ... and contrast is better on the real thing...
LL
LL
LL
dhan is offline  
post #16 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDTV pics...
LL
LL
LL
dhan is offline  
post #17 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
360 pics
LL
LL
LL
dhan is offline  
post #18 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
and finaly preview pics...
LL
LL
LL
dhan is offline  
post #19 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Boy do I love this TV!!!
dhan is offline  
post #20 of 570 Old 09-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Macroblocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

A few more DVD pics... white balance on my camera is unstable so be gentle ... and contrast is better on the real thing...


I watched Sin City on my 62mx196 and was open mouthed, I just dont know what more a HD transfer could do for this movie! It looks outstanding on this TV

Edit: great pics btw!
Macroblocker is offline  
post #21 of 570 Old 09-19-2006, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaxer07 View Post

Are you sure on the hdmi accepting 1080p because I though it did.

Manual says 1080i
dhan is offline  
post #22 of 570 Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

The set was delivered just yesterday so I have about only 3 to 4 hours playing with it from 11 to 3 am last night and a couple of hours today. So far so good, no RBE for me. The only time I saw RBE was on a 2 years old 50" Toshiba set with Sin City but I had to turn my head really fast away from the set to see them. This week I'll rent it again to see if I can see RBE on my set...

I can easily force myself to see RBE in Sin City if I suddenly turn my head away from the screen. But if I keep my eyes on the screen I don't see them.
dhan is offline  
post #23 of 570 Old 09-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Macroblocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

I can easily force myself to see RBE in Sin City if I suddenly turn my head away from the screen. But if I keep my eyes on the screen I don't see them.

How else does one watch a movie? This is one thing I have never understood about the whole RBE thing, who watches a movie while flailing their head wildly from side to side? i can make myself see them as well with some material but never while watching a movie the "normal way"
Macroblocker is offline  
post #24 of 570 Old 09-19-2006, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is exactly why dlp's RBE is not an issue for me... as long as I don't sit too close to my set!
dhan is offline  
post #25 of 570 Old 09-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Senior Member
 
cjlawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaxer07 View Post

mx195's

1. Have no annoying fan noise (my xbox 360 is 100 time louder)
2. mx's inputs are able to be set individually
3. If you saw bluish blacks than that tv was not calibrated correctly (looking at a 196 and a 195 PQ are about identical)


mx196's

1. Uses a new processor
2. No IEEE1394 inputs

Are you sure on the hdmi accepting 1080p because I though it did.

Nice setup!


The picture quality on the 196 is alot better then the 195. The 196 series does not have the annoying color banding that the 195 series have and yes I have owned both sets and currently own the 196 and it is a lot better.

LawDawg
cjlawson is offline  
post #26 of 570 Old 09-20-2006, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is color banding?
dhan is offline  
post #27 of 570 Old 09-20-2006, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Forget the question I have found my answer here
dhan is offline  
post #28 of 570 Old 09-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Member
 
slaxer07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I would think that would be a advantage of the newer processor.

Off topic - How do you quote someone elses reply?
slaxer07 is offline  
post #29 of 570 Old 09-20-2006, 05:08 AM
Member
 
slaxer07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dhan,

You named one pic Halo3 id that a trailer or something? Where did you find it?
slaxer07 is offline  
post #30 of 570 Old 09-20-2006, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaxer07 View Post

Yeah, I would think that would be a advantage of the newer processor.

Off topic - How do you quote someone elses reply?

Click on the "Quote" button on the lower right corner of the post you want to quote or use the "Wrap [quote] tags around selected text" button (upper right) when you already are in edition mode...
dhan is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off