Best Television For Playstation 3 - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 327 Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Newbie
 
Pacmanpth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

1440p is stupid. 1080p is already well beyond the resolution needed to display television and movies. 1440p is just the next thing they will put on TVs to sell more stuff that people don't need.

Kind of like when that one computer designer guy said that no one would ever need more than 4MB of RAM in a personal computer? I wouldn't discredit any new technologies just yet, we have no way of predicting what is going to be avaliable with regards to source technology many years into the future. Hell, there could be systems in 10 years that run 10kx6k resolution or something insane. Always gotta leave ambiguity in the picture and remember the past history of this kind of technology. I don't think we will ever reach any kind of technological plateau for this kind of stuff.
Pacmanpth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 327 Old 11-03-2006, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Fawkes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wooah... a2000 is in the past... look at this (H) http://www.digitalmegastore.com/prod...TOKEN=54625806
it is also trusted seller from www.nextag.com
Fawkes77 is offline  
post #303 of 327 Old 11-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Newbie
 
ffish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post

Resistance is "confirmed" 1080p launch.

Incorrect. Resistance is confirmed to run in only 720p. Go to IGN's website and you can find the article.
ffish is offline  
post #304 of 327 Old 11-03-2006, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Raistlin_HT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY area
Posts: 2,493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Correct ...

(I'm watching live video of it being played right now - Gamestop has a debug PS3).


They could not fit the level size they wanted in RAM a 1080p without loading, so they decided to pull back to 720p.


BTW - the game looks awesome!!
Raistlin_HT is offline  
post #305 of 327 Old 11-04-2006, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Fawkes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Correct ...

(I'm watching live video of it being played right now - Gamestop has a debug PS3).


They could not fit the level size they wanted in RAM a 1080p without loading, so they decided to pull back to 720p.


BTW - the game looks awesome!!

So there is minimal loading time?
Fawkes77 is offline  
post #306 of 327 Old 11-05-2006, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Fawkes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes77 View Post

So there is minimal loading time?

Maaayybbee?
Fawkes77 is offline  
post #307 of 327 Old 11-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ragnarok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffish View Post

Incorrect. Resistance is confirmed to run in only 720p. Go to IGN's website and you can find the article.

Yeah, thanks bro. That post is only two weeks old. Insomniac has since said that due to some memory alocation problems during the final level, that they would use 720p and target 1080p for all future games. Not bad for a launch title.

Friends don't let friends game in SD.
Ragnarok is offline  
post #308 of 327 Old 11-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
laserguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had my samsung hls-5087w calibrated, I'm 3rd on preorder list at gamestop. On the 18th I will let you know how it looks.
laserguns is offline  
post #309 of 327 Old 11-05-2006, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Fawkes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguns View Post

I just had my samsung hls-5087w calibrated, I'm 3rd on preorder list at gamestop. On the 18th I will let you know how it looks.

Are the samsung HLS's nice? And how much does it cost to get a television calibrated? Imma prolly camp out (if my mom pays half lol)
Fawkes77 is offline  
post #310 of 327 Old 11-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Member
 
Dragon Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for making this thread and asking so many questions, topic creator. I'm also most likely going to be getting a PS3 soon (as soon as I can find one after the shortages, at least). I had a lot of questions, and I'd been researching for a good part of the night. Then I stumbled across this forum and found this thread, after reading through all 300+ posts, just about everything I wanted to know plus more has been answered. I'm leaning toward buying an SXRD KDS-60A2000 now, which will be a pretty big upgrade from my old Sanyo 25" SDTV. So I just signed up to say that all the questions, and even the arguing between users here, has helped me tremendously. Thanks guys!
Dragon Knight is offline  
post #311 of 327 Old 11-06-2006, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Fawkes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Knight View Post

Thanks for making this thread and asking so many questions, topic creator. I'm also most likely going to be getting a PS3 soon (as soon as I can find one after the shortages, at least). I had a lot of questions, and I'd been researching for a good part of the night. Then I stumbled across this forum and found this thread, after reading through all 300+ posts, just about everything I wanted to know plus more has been answered. I'm leaning toward buying an SXRD KDS-60A2000 now, which will be a pretty big upgrade from my old Sanyo 25" SDTV. So I just signed up to say that all the questions, and even the arguing between users here, has helped me tremendously. Thanks guys!

Hah! =P I'm glad it helped you... The people here are so helpful (And knowledgable) when it comes to televisions... I have learned a lot and can now have a semi-intelligent arguement with my mom lol!
Fawkes77 is offline  
post #312 of 327 Old 11-06-2006, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Fawkes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post

Yeah, thanks bro. That post is only two weeks old. Insomniac has since said that due to some memory alocation problems during the final level, that they would use 720p and target 1080p for all future games. Not bad for a launch title.

Ragggyyy... I think you have answered it but i dont have long to check the whole post... is the smsung HLS any good? Better than the Sony XBR2?
Fawkes77 is offline  
post #313 of 327 Old 11-08-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Fawkes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes77 View Post

Ragggyyy... I think you have answered it but i dont have long to check the whole post... is the smsung HLS any good? Better than the Sony XBR2?

Mebbe?
Fawkes77 is offline  
post #314 of 327 Old 11-09-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Fawkes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cmon lol.. I found an XBR2 for 2700... what is the XBR3 gonna be like? And what are the Samsung's like?
Fawkes77 is offline  
post #315 of 327 Old 11-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Member
 
Dresden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC CANADA
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post

Oh baby, I'll take that bet everyday of the week and twice on Thursday. ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of 1440p TV's being released in 2007.


Heh Ragnarok check this out 1440P baby!


Dresden

Dresden
Dresden is offline  
post #316 of 327 Old 11-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
AVBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suburbs of Detroit
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What good is a resolution virtually no HT applications support (not even many high end scalers)? 1080p is the high end sweet spot for at least a few years.

My A2000 Settings for the S3 TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii.
My A2000 Lag Test & A2000 Lag Timing Estimations.
AVBill is offline  
post #317 of 327 Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Fawkes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bill.... what is better in your opinion... xbr2, xbr3, or hls ( samsung) and why...
Fawkes77 is offline  
post #318 of 327 Old 11-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ragnarok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden View Post

Heh Ragnarok check this out 1440P baby!


Dresden

Dude, I posted that article a month ago. Feel free to jump back in this thread with a useless trolling post once you see it at BestBuy. Peace.

Friends don't let friends game in SD.
Ragnarok is offline  
post #319 of 327 Old 11-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ragnarok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes77 View Post

Ragggyyy... I think you have answered it but i dont have long to check the whole post... is the smsung HLS any good? Better than the Sony XBR2?

Bro, I think you've asked this question (this exact question) a few times already.

Friends don't let friends game in SD.
Ragnarok is offline  
post #320 of 327 Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Paul33993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacmanpth View Post

Kind of like when that one computer designer guy said that no one would ever need more than 4MB of RAM in a personal computer? I wouldn't discredit any new technologies just yet, we have no way of predicting what is going to be avaliable with regards to source technology many years into the future. Hell, there could be systems in 10 years that run 10kx6k resolution or something insane. Always gotta leave ambiguity in the picture and remember the past history of this kind of technology. I don't think we will ever reach any kind of technological plateau for this kind of stuff.

Because broadcasters and even the Hi-Def movie formats are so swimming in bandwith? They need to address this problem of starving everything before moving even higher.

And I'm not jumping on you personally, it's just moving across the boards there's a lot of these arguments occurring and I don't see it. Computer monitors? I guess there's specialized needs for it (and online gamers wanting advantages). But if you look at Japan, all the major companies (including the government) seem to be investing heavily in 3D displays that work without special glasses. They're spending billions on this (There's constant articles. Occasional demos of the latest tech advance.) This is something that IMO actually makes sense. In 10 years I want a 1080P display that can do 3D without glasses. 4*2 can suck it. If the powers that be get more bandwith, they can halve the compression they're doing with 1080P.
Paul33993 is offline  
post #321 of 327 Old 11-10-2006, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Fawkes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ultimately, we agree with the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF), a group that consults for home-theater manufacturers and trains professional video calibrators, when it says that the most important aspect of picture quality is contrast ratio, the second-most important is color saturation, and the third is color accuracy. Though resolution may be the most talked-about spec these days, it comes in fourth on the ISF list, and after you sit watching five TVs lined up side by side, you understand why. The fact is a relatively pristine high-def source such as Mission: Impossible III looks sharp on just about any HDTV, and your eye, when looking for differences, is drawn first to things like depth of detail in shadowy material (black levels) and the color of the actors' skin tone and how natural it looks.

Apparently.... resolution isn't THAT important... how could I check these top 3 things on difference TV's?
Fawkes77 is offline  
post #322 of 327 Old 11-10-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bbexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 2,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes77 View Post

Ultimately, we agree with the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF), a group that consults for home-theater manufacturers and trains professional video calibrators, when it says that the most important aspect of picture quality is contrast ratio, the second-most important is color saturation, and the third is color accuracy. Though resolution may be the most talked-about spec these days, it comes in fourth on the ISF list, and after you sit watching five TVs lined up side by side, you understand why. The fact is a relatively pristine high-def source such as Mission: Impossible III looks sharp on just about any HDTV, and your eye, when looking for differences, is drawn first to things like depth of detail in shadowy material (black levels) and the color of the actors' skin tone and how natural it looks.

Apparently.... resolution isn't THAT important... how could I check these top 3 things on difference TV's?

So where did you cut and paste that from?

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
bbexperience is offline  
post #323 of 327 Old 11-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Member
 
Dresden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC CANADA
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVBill View Post

What good is a resolution virtually no HT applications support (not even many high end scalers)? 1080p is the high end sweet spot for at least a few years.

You are right, and I agree with you. 1080P will be the high end sweet spot for the next 5 years or so. It is the reason I've been on the HDTV fence the last few years. The post was meant to be a marketing funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post

Dude, I posted that article a month ago. Feel free to jump back in this thread with a useless trolling post once you see it at BestBuy. Peace.

I've been busy, didn't get a chance to post my useless trolling post when you posted the article. Just found it funny that 4-5 weeks I had a dream and called 1440P for 2008 and they anouncing them for 2007...

I did not mean any offense by calling you out on the bet...

Anyways nuff of that. So wonder when the big HDMI 1.4 announcment is due.


Peace.


Dresden

Dresden
Dresden is offline  
post #324 of 327 Old 11-11-2006, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
REFLEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB - Canada
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question:

By looking at my sig you can see the TV I upgarded to a few days ago. Im getting is calibrated by an ISF approved tech - my question to you future PS3 owners (I pre ordered mine, its here in only 6 days!)..... games like Resistance which are in 720p, how will they look on my 1080p tv? Anyone?

I figured this was the best place to ask. So far ive seen tons of pics of the game running on 1080p Sony HDTVs and it looks awesome, Ive been told by a rather annoying poster on another forum that it will look like crap unless I move my TV back to the reccomended seating distance for a 720p TV. Whats the actual truth of the matter here?

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
REFLEX is offline  
post #325 of 327 Old 11-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
AVBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suburbs of Detroit
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post

Question:

By looking at my sig you can see the TV I upgarded to a few days ago. Im getting is calibrated by an ISF approved tech - my question to you future PS3 owners (I pre ordered mine, its here in only 6 days!)..... games like Resistance which are in 720p, how will they look on my 1080p tv? Anyone?

I figured this was the best place to ask. So far ive seen tons of pics of the game running on 1080p Sony HDTVs and it looks awesome, Ive been told by a rather annoying poster on another forum that it will look like crap unless I move my TV back to the reccomended seating distance for a 720p TV. Whats the actual truth of the matter here?

It is still too early to tell. One can only guess how well the PS3 will upscale 720p material to 1080p. I haven't read any reports from knowledgeable objective technically-savvy reviewers (who have a PS3 in hand) yet to conclude the answer. If the PS3 upscales as well as the Xbox 360, then I would guess the 1080p upscale would look a little better than 720p. What's concerning is that the PS3 lacks other forms of upscaling (DVD, PS1 games, PS2 games). This might imply that the PS3 doesn't yet have a solid upscale routine built in (or maybe their routine only does 720 to 1080 upscaling). Time will tell how it plays out.

I play my Xbox 360 on a Sony A2000 at a 1080 seating distance at the 1080i resolution, and I think it looks fine (at an optimal 1080 seating distance). It looks a little soft at 720p (compared to 1080i), but it is still quite solid (IMO).

My A2000 Settings for the S3 TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii.
My A2000 Lag Test & A2000 Lag Timing Estimations.
AVBill is offline  
post #326 of 327 Old 01-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Member
 
Ryaneleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK so to change it up a little, how about a 37 inch for the PS3?

Here are some things im running into when deciding:

-Every sales guy telling me something different. Some its 'it doesnt matter if its a 1080p on a smaller screen.' or 'you wont be able to see a difference with 1080p' or 'you will see a huge difference for 1080p', you get what i mean.

-Conflicting info on the web whether the 1080p TVs actually ARE 1080p Tvs.

-I also noticed that in the store, regular TV signal to a 37' Mitsubishi 1080p looks like crap, i would rather have my SDTV with how that picture looked. All i will use the TV for is watching cable with some HD cable, and for the PS3 and old Xbox.

Anybody have any worthwhile suggestions?

Muchos Gracias!
Ryaneleven is offline  
post #327 of 327 Old 01-15-2007, 02:30 AM
Member
 
Ryaneleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, also. Can anybody give some feedback for the following?:

Westinghouse. Only thing i am curious about is whether this is a computer monitor or a TV. Does it make a difference? Cant beat the price but from the looks of it there is only one HDMI input, but dont you use DVI for cable anyways?.

note: this site will not let me post the link, the TV i am refering to is the Westinghouse LVM-37w3


This one is looking like the best bet at this point unless anybody has any other suggestions or things to point out.
Ryaneleven is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off