Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is your viewing distance from the TV? Have you reduced the brightness and contrast from the out-of-box settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 01:09 PM

I've got my price and everything lined up, only contingent upon my trip to the store tonight to test lag on composite PS2 connection on Guitar Hero 2. I'm gonna turn on game mode and see what I get for a delay in ms.

I plan on posting my results here (I didn't join or post before now because I wasn't an "owner"). Has anyone else done this on the XBR2, either the 60 or 70? I'd like to know, just so I have something to compair the results to.

Thanks, and wish me luck!
post #4143 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzupal View Post

I've got my price and everything lined up, only contingent upon my trip to the store tonight to test lag on composite PS2 connection on Guitar Hero 2. I'm gonna turn on game mode and see what I get for a delay in ms.

I plan on posting my results here (I didn't join or post before now because I wasn't an "owner"). Has anyone else done this on the XBR2, either the 60 or 70? I'd like to know, just so I have something to compair the results to.

are you SERIOUSLY basing purchase of an xbr2 on the results of a stupid video game? I really hope I read that post wrong. its a free country and we can all do what ever we want but to me this is incredible.
post #4144 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They had this game set-up on a 70" at a local Best Buy. I'm not sure if they had the tv on game mode, but the picture was (as expected) with a composite connection not that good. If you are buying the tv for 480i games only, you may be disappointed. However, if you watch movies also, check out the picture on hd. Have the store put through the hdnet signal, and you will see the difference.
post #4145 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zshuster View Post

hi Lou

I rarely listen to the TV speakers...I'll try sometime and let you know if I experience the same occasional drop off from DD 5.1 to DD stereo (usually commercials) back to DD 5.1 programming...I run HDMI from the cable box to the TV...I connect the audio out from the cable box to my A/V processor with a digital coax cable...you can try setting the box to pass through audio and see what happens...I tried all three audio settings and set mine to Auto...

I've been communicating with Comcast (signal level, box), Motorola (box, settings) and Theta Digital (settings, connection)...I still suspect the cable box

Zig

Lou

it happens to you as you listen to the TV speakers...it happens to me as I listen through my system...the common denominator is a cable box...

Zig
post #4146 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_b_avs View Post

are you SERIOUSLY basing purchase of an xbr2 on the results of a stupid video game? I really hope I read that post wrong. its a free country and we can all do what ever we want but to me this is incredible.

Let me rephrase. I've researched TV's for quite a while, and I've decided that I'm going to finally upgrade by XBR tube to something big. For all the reasons everyone understands, I've decided I like lcd/dlp projection. Based upon all other criteria, I have fallen for the XBR2 60".

However, one of the concerns I have is how the TV will handle SD sources, including, but not limited to, older video game systems. I have heard, and seen in person, the lag created by a tv upconverting 480i signals. This is enough of an issue that Sony included a "game mode" on the TV. I would suggest that I am not alone in my concern, if the manufacturer decided to address the matter.

I know of no other way to test a TV's lag in a meaningful fashion than the Guitar Hero 2 HDTV calibration mode, which will measure, based upon the timing of your input relative to the output of the PS2, the lag of the tv down to the .001 second range. Although this is done through averages and is far from perfect, I've used it on a number of sources to test lag issues.

I'm full aware that it will look like hell, but I care more about it playing well than looking good, for those few games I might pull out. in short: ugly I can deal with, slow I cannot.
post #4147 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well you can bet there will be a 1080p Guitar Hero 3 for the PS3, most likely with a bluetooth guitar/controller...

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #4148 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM

I've had the SXRD 60XBR2 since November 2006. On the Avia gray screens (30 IRE and up) I notice a greenish tinge on most of the screen with a purplish tinge in the bottom left quadrant. It is not as obvious as the green blob which plagued the XBR1, but it is evident. I have read on this forum that others are having a similar problem with the A2000 and even the XBR2. Does anyone else see these conditions on their 60XBR2 using Avia or DVE disks? Hopefully, I just have a unique problem which can be corrected. A service technician is coming to my place on Thursday.

Thanks, everyone.

PS I am not a troll. I think the XBR2 is the best available overall television, I just want a trouble-free one considering the high expense.
post #4149 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvon View Post

I've had the SXRD 60XBR2 since November 2006. On the Avia gray screens (30 IRE and up) I notice a greenish tinge on most of the screen with a purplish tinge in the bottom left quadrant. It is not as obvious as the green blob which plagued the XBR1, but it is evident. I have read on this forum that others are having a similar problem with the A2000 and even the XBR2. Does anyone else see these conditions on their 60XBR2 using Avia or DVE disks? Hopefully, I just have a unique problem which can be corrected. A service technician is coming to my place on Thursday.

Thanks, everyone.

PS I am not a troll. I think the XBR2 is the best available overall television, I just want a trouble-free one considering the high expense.

Funny you mention that, I have a technician here right now replacing the light engine in my R60XBR2 for a similar situation. On a grey screen, or white, or black and white, there is a purple "ring" around the screen, and a green one right next to it. Diagnosed to be a problem with the light engine.

Once he leaves, I will post if it fixes it. I do have a friend that purchased the TV the same time I did, his does not have this issue.

Wicked96SS
"Now, which romote does that?"
post #4150 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 02:29 PM

Think you can Still pricematch someone if you had the pdf from the sears website when they sold it for 2799? Im just trying find a low price at a non grey market store. Im sorry if this is the wrong thread
post #4151 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 02:29 PM

I got delivery on my 60" Xbr2 today at about 4 hours ago and I simply cannot get this image ghosting to go away.

I can see a ghost on every image both HD and SD signals. It is especially annoying when there is any type of script on the screen (ESPN's Out of Bounds show on right now in SD and a Wright Brother's documentary on Discovery HD). All numbers on the screen look kind of blocky and blurred.

I watched Anchorman on normal DVD rendered with my plain old Xbox earlier and this was not the case.

I have been playing around with the settings for an hour now (mostly sharpness, drc mode, and drc palette) and nothing seems to make this effect go away.

My seat is at a 9' viewing distance if that matters

HELP!
post #4152 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked96SS View Post

Funny you mention that, I have a technician here right now replacing the light engine in my R60XBR2 for a similar situation. On a grey screen, or white, or black and white, there is a purple "ring" around the screen, and a green one right next to it. Diagnosed to be a problem with the light engine.

Once he leaves, I will post if it fixes it. I do have a friend that purchased the TV the same time I did, his does not have this issue.

Wicked - That sounds like the same problem I am having. I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your service call. Thanks.
post #4153 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 02:54 PM

Shafty,

Are you using an external receiver or the internal Sony tuner?
post #4154 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfpardo View Post

Shafty,

Are you using an external receiver or the internal Sony tuner?

Comcast motorola DVR connected straight to the TV.
post #4155 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafty7 View Post

Comcast motorola DVR connected straight to the TV.

Sounds like a common source issue. 2 ways to tell : 1. use the tv's internal tuner 2. use a dvd player with hdmi connection to the tv's hdmi with a short, reliable, cable.
post #4156 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvon View Post

Wicked - That sounds like the same problem I am having. I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your service call. Thanks.

Okay, he is gone, and I have put it through some tests... watching Black and White, HD, SD, played XBox, etc. etc...

I deem it to be "fixed", although not perfect. On a pure grey screen you can still slightly see something like that when cold, when it warms up, it is pretty much gone completely.... during normal viewing (DVD, HD-DVD, Antenna, Cable Box, XBox, VGA), looks terrific.

So, I deem it as fixed for now, if it gets worse, I'll just keep having them replace the light engine, until they realize it would be cheaper to swap out the set... tech told me that the light engine cost $1800.00... so replacement should be soon if I complain enough.

I am very very happy now! What a great set!

Wicked96SS
post #4157 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked96SS View Post

Okay, he is gone, and I have put it through some tests... watching Black and White, HD, SD, played XBox, etc. etc...

I deem it to be "fixed", although not perfect. On a pure grey screen you can still slightly see something like that when cold, when it warms up, it is pretty much gone completely.... during normal viewing (DVD, HD-DVD, Antenna, Cable Box, XBox, VGA), looks terrific.

So, I deem it as fixed for now, if it gets worse, I'll just keep having them replace the light engine, until they realize it would be cheaper to swap out the set... tech told me that the light engine cost $1800.00... so replacement should be soon if I complain enough.

I am very very happy now! What a great set!

Thanks for the update. I'm glad your problem has been fixed. Hopefully I will get the same good results. $1800 sure is a hefty price to exchange the light engine; it would almost be more efficient to replace the set.
post #4158 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by evcook View Post

I think that if you look at the upcoming advances, you will find that the current xbr2 is at an optimal tech-price point for years to come. Look at what is coming up for RP, and see if that feature, price, and time are worth waiting for...
1. hdmi 1.3 : much higher bandwidth, useful for quad HD - meaning 1080px4 - a video standard that is perhaps a decade away, and will only ever be broadcast over fiber optics, which very few people have. also supports next gen audio - but, when will we be seeing content with that next gen audio? 10 years.
2. xbr3 - better signal processing than xbr2 - meaning it does a better job of enhancing poor video signals. this is irrelevant if you have a good video signal thanks to good source or external equipment.
3. laser or led source - the power supply for both generate as much heat as the lamp, but last a much longer time than a lamp. however, would you rather put in a brand new light source every 2-3 years (lamp), or watch as your laser or led light source slowly degrade over - 10 years? yes, the first 2 years were great, but those last 8 suck.
in addition, laser offers significantly more colors. the current sony - with professional calibration - is already providing 99% of the color spectrum that is visible to the human eye for moving image content. you would almost have to be a squid to see the extra colors present in laser light sources.

In my opinion, my sony 70 is at the zenith for today's consumer priced displays. After I wear out both lamps, the replacement will most likely be a well debugged, and reasonably priced direct light source machine - perhaps SED/OLED. Nothing beats a (extreemly expensive) direct light source machine for quality - just ask Umr. Today's plasmas are too expensive for the required size, and not refined or reliable enough. It will take many years to get there, but will be just as exciting as today's sxrd2 machines.

So HDMI 1.3 is no big deal to wait for? What kind of impact do you think HDMI 1.3 will have with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD movies and 1080p PS3/XBOX360 games? We are already beginning to see HDMI 1.3 components appearing on the market.

I have been thinking very hard about rather to keep or return my 70" XBR. I love everything about this set (except I can't use the twin view since all the channels on my Comcast cablecard is coming in as digital & VGA port does not support 1080p) but this whole HDMI 1.3 is little scary since it feels like this could be beginning of these sets being obsolete (Am I being paranoid for nothing ).

So if you think you understand the impact of HDMI 1.3 and are not worried then tell me why you feel that way.

Here is an article I found about this subject. Interesting read:
http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/artic...AN/791/v/1/sp/
post #4159 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
In this article this person references:
"HDMI 1.3 will also support the lossless formats of Dolby HD and DTS-HD along with a new type of HDMI connector for smaller HD devices. It seems that this new mini connector is what Sony has put on their newest SXRD-based XBRs but left off of the A2000 line."

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/06/13...-1-3-approved/

Do you know which plug on our set he is referring to?
post #4160 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

What size set are you use to? When I first got my 58" Pioneer Elite I felt that way so it may just be a matter of some adjustments to the size and the settings.

Just a thought

Jim

My eyes were used to a 36"XBR tube super heavy beast. So for DVDs and HD we are talking maybe a 32" wide screen (with top and bottom bars). We are sitting at about 10'. I haven't had a chance to change any settings yet.
post #4161 of 12055 Old 01-15-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

So HDMI 1.3 is no big deal to wait for? What kind of impact do you think HDMI 1.3 will have with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD movies and 1080p PS3/XBOX360 games? We are already beginning to see HDMI 1.3 components appearing on the market.

I have been thinking very hard about rather to keep or return my 70" XBR. I love everything about this set (except I can't use the twin view since all the channels on my Comcast cablecard is coming in as digital & VGA port does not support 1080p) but this whole HDMI 1.3 is little scary since it feels like this could be beginning of these sets being obsolete (Am I being paranoid for nothing ).

So if you think you understand the impact of HDMI 1.3 and are not worried then tell me why you feel that way.

Here is an article I found about this subject. Interesting read:
http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/artic...AN/791/v/1/sp/

My barely informed opinion says 1.3 is BS when it comes to a display. Ooooh, it can do deep color. I'll bet no one can tell the difference. For my money the only place 1.3 makes a difference is in the A/V side of things--the ability to pass all the data for True HD etc to a device that can do something with it--receiver/processor whatever. Not much (if any) improvement in the display I'm betting.

But some yahoo will certainly jump on this and explain why I'm wrong and how everybody will be able to see the difference.
post #4162 of 12055 Old 01-16-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zshuster View Post

Lou

it happens to you as you listen to the TV speakers...it happens to me as I listen through my system...the common denominator is a cable box...

Zig

Zig,

Unfortunately, I think it's the box combined with this Sony XBR TV. Nothing happens on my other Vivio TV with a Comcast DVR.

Yesterday morning I went into the config screen of the moto box (Power box off, press menu). I changed audio to L-PCM using these directions:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_..._User_Settings

So far, everything works (Fingers crossed, knocking on Wood).
post #4163 of 12055 Old 01-16-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Well, I did get to go test the XBR2 60" yesterday with a 480i input with game mode on. According to my test, which is obviously dependent on my skill, processing lag is extremely low. My frist test showed a lag of .060 seconds, but that was before I was settled in. My last 2 tests showed processing lag of .007 and .006 seconds.

I had decided going in that lag of less than .016 would be acceptable, and ended up with lag 2.5 times smaller than that. For anyone interested in the xbr2 for legacy gaming, or other sd sources, I think you will find it quite acceptable.
post #4164 of 12055 Old 01-16-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Well, I did get to go test the XBR2 60" yesterday with a 480i input with game mode on. According to my test, which is obviously dependent on my skill, processing lag is extremely low. My frist test showed a lag of .060 seconds, but that was before I was settled in. My last 2 tests showed processing lag of .007 and .006 seconds.

I had decided going in that lag of less than .016 would be acceptable, and ended up with lag 2.5 times smaller than that. For anyone interested in the xbr2 for legacy gaming, or other sd sources, I think you will find it quite acceptable.

Thank you for doing this. Very interesting and useful to me.
post #4165 of 12055 Old 01-16-2007, 08:14 AM

Anyone know when the SuperBowl sales are going to hit? I was hoping that circuit city might have another "one day" sale on the 60 XBR2. I finally got to see one this weekend in San Antonio and love it, now I am hoping to get one during all the sales. Got my fingers crossed anyways!!

CW
post #4166 of 12055 Old 01-16-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxion82 View Post

Anyone know when the SuperBowl sales are going to hit? I was hoping that circuit city might have another "one day" sale on the 60 XBR2. I finally got to see one this weekend in San Antonio and love it, now I am hoping to get one during all the sales. Got my fingers crossed anyways!!

CW

I'm hoping for one of those sales too. Except I hope Best Buy has a sale on the 70. I wonder why CC and BB only carry 1/2 models?
Anyone think a permanent price break from sony will happen anytime soon?
post #4167 of 12055 Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 AM

I am about to pull the trigger on a 60"xbr from Tweeter if they give me the 2 year financing option. Two questions for everyone. One would you wait to see if there are better sales in the upcoming weeks. I am probably going to get it for 3200 before tax. And two how many go for the extended warranties on these products. 300 seems like a lot for really one extra year.

CP
post #4168 of 12055 Old 01-16-2007, 10:36 AM

I got a 5 year extended waranty (6 years total) on the 60"XBR2... I got a good enough deal on it that I figured it would be worth it to get just for peace of mind.

$300.00 is a bit much for 1 year, I think I paid $120.00 a year for mine...

Wicked96SS
post #4169 of 12055 Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 AM

Alright now to figure out if I should pull the trigger on the tv. Then get the oppo 981 dvd player and some surround sound...
post #4170 of 12055 Old 01-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp316 View Post

Alright now to figure out if I should pull the trigger on the tv. Then get the oppo 981 dvd player and some surround sound...

Think HD DVD
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page