Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post

Was wondering if anyone else saw this when setting up their HDMI...
I am trying to stop the 70 from displaying an audio warning message about HDMI audio from my Hi-def sat/OTA receiver.

I have the sat going to the Sony via HDMI and audio going direct to the receiver via optical. OTA local channels send the DD audio to the receiver via optical and it works fine, so I can only assume it is sending nothing over HDMI for those channels (or DD it does not like) as I am getting a warning in a box stating "unsupported audio signal. Check your device output." It eventually goes away but does anyone have an idea on how to just tell the set to ignore HDMI audio? Or maybe an adapter that would just strip it out.

I tested regular sat signals and I am getting analog out of the Sony into the reciever so I know the HDMI audio is working and no error message for non-OTA channels. Of course I will usually just use the optical audio out of the sat.

Any ideas appreciated.

BJBBJB

I believe there is a similar known issue with the A2000's and was addressed in that Owners Thread. I also vaguely seem to remember that someone found a workaround to prevent the popup message.

Sorry for lack of specific info. Suggest you search that forum, if no satisfactory results here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=701578
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 09:16 AM

For those of you that already have stands for your XBR2, I found this one (needed a wood one), are the dimensions comparable to what most of you are using? I'm buying the stand before the tv, never hurts to be prepared!

Did anyone post the footprint of the 60"?
post #393 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddy View Post

But that is via a cable card, right? It may not pass 5.1 from a STB when connected via hdmi.

Yes, it is via cable card with digital optical out from the XBR2 to the receiver. The XBR2 manual shows dolby digital pass through. I think you are correct that it may not pass 5.1 from a STB box via HDMI but I will defer to those with more expertise.
The 5.1 channel sound is outstanding and that it why I opted for cable card although I don't know if the Time Warner box in our area would do the pass through.
post #394 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the tips. Here is the direct link to one of the comments (see the 4:24 post):

A2000 link to unsupported audio explanation

Several posts state that the A2000 does not support 5.1 audio over HDMI, just 2 channel and you cannot turn off the warning. I had a phone call with Sony who confirmed this is also the case with the 70. Seems like it would have been an easy fix to allow you to turn off the warning.

To clarify something I saw earlier in this thread, the 70 will send 5.1 out from it's tuner audio (and based on the below, that includes CableCard which makes sense), but it does not appear to pass-thru 5.1 audio from an HDMI input. Not a big deal, would prefer to go to receiver direct anyway, just can't turn that warning off.

If you have an STB or receiver that can turn off the audio-over-HDMI that would solve the problem.

The HDMI>DVI>HDMI that RobbinMerritt mentioned might be the way to go if there is absolutely no signal loss. I guess on a 1080P signal it would be an issue but my STB only does 1080i of course.

BJBBJB
post #395 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is this the set that can accept the new 1080p/24fps signal from the new Sony BluRay player?

If so, does it play it back at 48 or 72fps?

Thanks!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #396 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Luvwine:

You may want to consider the Salamander Quad 245 design. The top 2 center sections are used for a large center channel speaker. 84" is wide but I bought one in part for that reason. Tired of having to buy a new stand ever time I change TVs. At 84" I am hoping to keep it through several TV purchases.

This is exactly the unit I am looking at and for the same reason (presently have an upright Salamander unit [4 sale ;-)] but the quad only has a depth of 19 3/4". Is this deep enough for the 60 inch? Has anybody posted the footprint for the 60 inch? Is the strap needed on this unit or only the 70 inch? I would like to order this ASAP as the television is available next week in Canada and football is in full swing!
post #397 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Ok boys, about time for some ligitimate tweaks. Who's first?
post #398 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post

clunky as it may be, it will still solve the "unsupported audio" message pop, correct?

It should. No audio feed, no pop-up message.

Robbin
post #399 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Most devices allow you to pick how the audio comes out. Like the 8300HD DVR/set top box allows you to send audio through HDMI or optical through the settings menu.
post #400 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 12:55 PM

So far just one report of 65831 next to XBR2. Anyone else compare the two?

What advantages does the XBR2 have over the xx732/xx831 or vice versa?

I currently have the 65831 and considering the r60xbr2. Any comments appreciated.

- I don't understand Fanboys.
post #401 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Is this the set that can accept the new 1080p/24fps signal from the new Sony BluRay player?

If so, does it play it back at 48 or 72fps?

Thanks!

The set does not accept 24fps in. The BluRay player does the conversion on the way out.
post #402 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

I bought the Wood-tech MGV63 stand for my 60" XBR2 specfically because it has two 8 1/4 inch shelves below the TV. I put my 8 inch high center speaker on the highest shelf UNDER the TV and I think it's great that way.

I didn't get the Salamander b/c it would still have a bar hanging in the middle of the center speaker, messing up the sound. The wood-tech stand is completely open.

congrats on finding something that would work for you. My center channel is
24wide x 9tall x 10deep (rough measurement). it wouldnt work for me and i havent found anything that would and also keep the TV center at eye level.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #403 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

congrats on finding something that would work for you. My center channel is
24wide x 9tall x 10deep (rough measurement). it wouldnt work for me and i havent found anything that would and also keep the TV center at eye level.

Well I can sympathize. I had a heck of a time finding a 2 shelf stand that would hold a 8 inch center speaker. My guess is that you're going to have to get a separate center speaker floor or wall stand.
post #404 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post

Thanks for the tips. Here is the direct link to one of the comments (see the 4:24 post):

A2000 link to unsupported audio explanation

Several posts state that the A2000 does not support 5.1 audio over HDMI, just 2 channel and you cannot turn off the warning. I had a phone call with Sony who confirmed this is also the case with the 70. Seems like it would have been an easy fix to allow you to turn off the warning.

To clarify something I saw earlier in this thread, the 70 will send 5.1 out from it's tuner audio (and based on the below, that includes CableCard which makes sense), but it does not appear to pass-thru 5.1 audio from an HDMI input. Not a big deal, would prefer to go to receiver direct anyway, just can't turn that warning off.

If you have an STB or receiver that can turn off the audio-over-HDMI that would solve the problem.

The HDMI>DVI>HDMI that RobbinMerritt mentioned might be the way to go if there is absolutely no signal loss. I guess on a 1080P signal it would be an issue but my STB only does 1080i of course.

BJBBJB

OK. That post is dated August 27. Despite what Sony says, I could swear I read a more recent post - maybe sometime in September - in that forum in which the A2000 owner said he found a way to avoid the message. I don't want to send you on another fruitless search through that forum though - it's equally likely that my 21 months of researching HDTV is causing an inevitable neuron meltdown here.

If you try the HDMI>DVI>HDMI fix please let us know the results.

Good luck with your new set. If the news continues to be good from other early adopters, I may be forced to finally let the moths out of my wallet.
post #405 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Well I can sympathize. I had a heck of a time finding a 2 shelf stand that would hold a 8 inch center speaker. My guess is that you're going to have to get a separate center speaker floor or wall stand.

-OR do what I did. Created my own stand from AL extrusions to support the TV on top of my hunky CC. My CC weighs a healthy 50Lbs . The image was uploaded by me somewhere in earlier thread.

To me it almost seems like a strong market, if I were to start selling my fix .
post #406 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RommelB View Post

What advantages does the XBR2 have over the xx732/xx831 or vice versa?

I currently have the 65831 and considering the r60xbr2. Any comments appreciated.

actually there are 2 comparisions posted. go back a page or two. both favored the xbr over the mits

neflixis our nemesis
post #407 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I didn't get the Salamander b/c it would still have a bar hanging in the middle of the center speaker, messing up the sound.

Why would there be a bar hanging in the middle of the center speaker? Which unit were you looking at as they all have the option of the shelf which is specifically for a center channel. I just don't know if 19 3/4" depth is enough.
post #408 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

true. gun3 suggested these methods. i'll probably go with making a shelf to mount on the wall above the TV. similar to the ones i made for my rear surrounds, solid oak with wrought iron supports. they had great WAF. and they should also match the salamander stand i plan on getting.

enough of the stand issue though, there is another thread for that.

how are the sets already owned doing? any tweaks?

SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #409 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 01:58 PM

Woo hoo...next fri. for my 60" xbr2.......for all Canadians

now, a stand .....argh
post #410 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 02:05 PM

I picked up my 70XBR2 on Monday. Thanks BJBBJB, MIXDOCTOR, Mr. FOO and many others for your early comments on the set. I brought the set home and it just barely fit in my 8 ft. pickup bed. The box is huge. I got a lot of comments before it even was out of the box. If you have a chance, pick it up yourself. It was all part of the fun. Neighbors were showing up to offer help to unload it without even asking. Pulling the top off the box and seeing the set was exciting, I was laughing at how huge it looked. It is such a cool set. At first, I was planning on the 60XBR2, which is good size, but decided to spend a bit more and go for the 70. After I had it set up, I was really happy that I went for the 70, without a doubt. It fit better than expected, and is just incredible. I suppose I could list a lot of details about what I like about the set, and there are a lot to list. But, rather than go into great detail (there is so much on this thread already), I will just say that I am one satisfied Sony customer. This TV is just amazing in HD! It is so clear that it is almost ridiculous. The color is beautiful, and the blacks are solid black. SD at this size is real good too. I love the features and ability to fine tune the set. One nice feature is the TV Guide, it can be customized and used in place of a set top box. I've got a Cablecard hooked up and this saves me another monthly fee for a set top box. So, for those who are thinking about this set and trying to decide if it is worth it...it is worth it. I was watching the Tigers the other day and thought I should be paying for the best seat in the house, and then realized I was in the house! The set itself is great looking, it looks very mod. I like it with the speakers. By the way, I got it to fit nicely on the SUGW12 stand with a little bit of handy work (screwdriver and dremel cutting tool needed). It looks great on this stand and I can slide it around easily with the stand on those little plastic slider things. I am totally happy that I bought the 70XBR2, I spent a lot of time researching the last several months and now I know that I made the right choice. If you don't see me posting very often from here on out, it's because I am just enjoying the new set.
post #411 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGATAYA View Post

I picked up my 70XBR2 on Monday. Thanks BJBBJB, MIXDOCTOR, Mr. FOO and many others for your early comments on the set. I brought the set home and it just barely fit in my 8 ft. pickup bed. The box is huge. I got a lot of comments before it even was out of the box. If you have a chance, pick it up yourself. It was all part of the fun. Neighbors were showing up to offer help to unload it without even asking. Pulling the top off the box and seeing the set was exciting, I was laughing at how huge it looked. It is such a cool set. At first, I was planning on the 60XBR2, which is good size, but decided to spend a bit more and go for the 70. After I had it set up, I was really happy that I went for the 70, without a doubt. It fit better than expected, and is just incredible. I suppose I could list a lot of details about what I like about the set, and there are a lot to list. But, rather than go into great detail (there is so much on this thread already), I will just say that I am one satisfied Sony customer. This TV is just amazing in HD! It is so clear that it is almost ridiculous. The color is beautiful, and the blacks are solid black. SD at this size is real good too. I love the features and ability to fine tune the set. One nice feature is the TV Guide, it can be customized and used in place of a set top box. I've got a Cablecard hooked up and this saves me another monthly fee for a set top box. So, for those who are thinking about this set and trying to decide if it is worth it...it is worth it. I was watching the Tigers the other day and thought I should be paying for the best seat in the house, and then realized I was in the house! The set itself is great looking, it looks very mod. I like it with the speakers. By the way, I got it to fit nicely on the SUGW12 stand with a little bit of handy work (screwdriver and dremel cutting tool needed). It looks great on this stand and I can slide it around easily with the stand on those little plastic slider things. I am totally happy that I bought the 70XBR2, I spent a lot of time researching the last several months and now I know that I made the right choice. If you don't see me posting very often from here on out, it's because I am just enjoying the new set.

pics with the SUGW12 please!
post #412 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:

I know there is a thread started on this but, I just got a look at the 70" yesterday and it looked nice. I have a 65831, and I had mentioned in that thread about possibly moving up to the 73", but didn't think the extra 2" added top/bottom and 3" side/side was worth an extra $2500. So when I saw the 70" sans dumbo ears it looked almost the same size as my 65" screen-wise, although the Sony's bezel and surrounding silver piece does make it seem larger. It had the BR of Hitch playing, and the Mits had HD-DVD of King Kong. PQ-wise these 2 sets can arguably go toe-to-toe so owners of each IMHO have the 2 best sets currently on the market. Give either set the proper feed and they have more than enough horsepower to deliver a top-notch picture. Forgetting the pseudo-inherited issues both sets have, I guess my biggest problem is the price and maybe size of the Sonys. One reason I passed on the Mits 73" was because getting it in my house would've been really tight around one corner, but can you believe that it is less than 3 inches wider than the 60XBR2?!! So I actually got a bigger screen for approx. $500 less; if you get the 73", again "little" bigger screen but almost $1500 less. So comparing my 65" to a 70XBR2 is like comparing the 60XBR2 to the 65" Mits size-wise, but now I'm looking at spending more than $3k to get 5", as opposed to actually getting 5" and saving $500 the other way. Will Sony sell a boat load of these? Yes! It all comes down to what you see as the best PQ, to me they're so close you can't go wrong.

Adults are just kids who owe money
post #413 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Yes...can you take pics with the stand, and for us slow to learn people, walk us through how to make it look good on the SUGW12 stand. It's probably too late to see just where you did the cuts (unless you took pictures as you did it), but maybe you can draw them on a paper and fax them (?) to those who are interested. If yes, I will PM my fax #. > Thanks!!!
post #414 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Glad you like it.......enjoy ! I am enjoying mine. The other day I watched a travel show in HD just to enjoy the picture !

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #415 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The image was uploaded by me somewhere in earlier thread.

cant find it. repost or direct please.

post #416 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

now, a stand .....argh

good luck wit dat.

post #417 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:

cant find it. repost or direct please.

Here you go -
LL
post #418 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

plasmabuyer, thanks.looks real good. and i do remember seeing it now. but aint that to high for the TV?

post #419 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:

plasmabuyer, thanks.looks real good. and i do remember seeing it now. but aint that to high for the TV?

It is by about 8" but I have not been able to notice any difference in the PQ being that high as I sit about 13' away from it.
post #420 of 12055 Old 10-06-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I got a call from Tweeter and I'll all set for Oct 14th now. Can't wait to join the owner's thread.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page