Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images View Post

I also would be interested in the sheet metal cutout template and also details on the Dremel tool you used. I have no Dremel experience and the thought of cutting the sheetmetal cover without some real shop tools is a possible spoiler for me .Can you just guide the Dremel by hand cutting along a penciled guide and expect a clean good looking cut? Pictures of the modified cover would be great.

Thanks.
KT

KT, I measured 4 cm (as shown in the pics) from each end point, and drew 2 lines to mark where it needed to be cut. I've had quite a bit of cutting experience with a dremel, and did it free hand using several heavy duty cutting wheels (no. 420) at high speed (by sure to use eye protection and face mask if you try this). You need to be patient, steady, and cut right on your line; it takes a while to cut through the aluminum. Be careful as the inside corner meets not to over cut in one direction. (The only caution is that you only get one chance to do it right, so there is a risk involved here and skill with the dremel comes into play; I would test cutting well inside your piece to get a feel it first). Use a wet sandpaper (400 grit) to smooth the edges. The dremel provides a nice cut as you can see in the pictures (but not perfect). I'd advise to try your way of mounting over the cover first to see if that fits the bill. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher8 View Post

Anybody with news/rumors regarding 70xbr3??

Hopefully - Sony will release some official news by CES 2007

I'd say it's unlikely they'll say anything at CES this year. Unless they are seeing some competitive pressure on some feature, or its necessary to make the PS3/Blu-ray story hold together, I think like last year, they will wait for their "Sony Day" in March/April, which is when the announced the A2000 and XB2s this year.

eric

post #453 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

EricBergan:

Thanks for your very timely post. My Lumagen HDP and the 70" XBR2 are not playing well together at 1080P. There are bright red and blue sparkling vertical bands of color on both sides of the screen when I feed the set a 1080P signal. Right side is a very distinct pattern about 10" wide starting 1" from edge of screen. Left side has no distinct pattern but is upto 25" wide at times. The underlieing image is not effected in either color or PQ. The reds and blue alternate from side to side and are like a film over the image. There are no problems if the set is fed either 1080i or 720P. Problem is most visable with a cablebox component feed to the HDP (unwatchable) but is definitely there with a HDMI or DVD feed. I am happy with the set otherwise. Any thoughts or advice from you or others would be appreciated. Thanks

I haven't seen anything like this - closest was a white stripe on the right (bright) side of a gray scale test screen, but adjusting brightness cleared that up. As it turns out, right now I'm going component from my HR10-250 to the VP50, but the HDNet test pattern seems to be fine. I do intend to switch over to HDMI between those two boxes, but have been changing one thing at a time...

At 1080p, I did have to unlock the framerate. If I kept it locked at 60 hz, the XBR2 would occasionally lose sync and have to resync - effect was I'd get a totally blue screen for a few seconds (and the annoying "unsupported audio" message would come up again.) Going unlocked means I may get a dropped frame (although I haven't seen any evidence of this), but no dropped sync.

Have you turned off all the XBR2s internal processing (noise reduction, and all in the advanced settings?)

eric

post #454 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreif View Post

Hi toofargone,

I have a 60XBR1 right now which will be replaced by a XBR2 in a couple weeks due to purple blacks and green blob problem. I have a custom built entertainment cabinet with a front cover to hide everything except for the black bezel. Can you take a few measurements of the XBR2 so I can verify if my cover will still work? The main ones I need is the actual size of the screen horizontal and vertical including the black bezel. And then also the distance from the floor to the bottom of the black bezel if the tv were sitting on the floor. Hope that makes sense

Thanks!

Here you go. The measurements might be off by ~1/32--it should probably be measured in metric.

Bottom of black bezel to top of black bezel = 33 1/2"
Left to right edge of black beel = 55 3/4"
Shelf top to bottom edge of black bezel = 5 7/8"
post #455 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 10:05 AM

I am now an official owner! Just had the 60 XBR2 delivered today.

A lot of you have been waiting for the wow factor. Here it is.

Wow!

And it hasn't been tweaked yet.

Most impressive to me so far? Lots of light in the room and the only SSE is from the edges of the polished frame. None from the screen. How nice to watch TV and not see myself.

Small issue though. Installer said I should use optical hookup for digital audio.
Currently, I have HDMI from DTV HR10-250 to Pioneer Elite 81TXS and HMDI out to the Sony.

Should I do optical? Will it make a difference?
post #456 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

That worries me a little since my stand is 23.5" high.

You might be ok. Might feels only a tad too high--esp from the recliners at 5'. Add to that: I'm short, only 5'4."

This doesn't worry me at all since it's the STB that's the problem. I've experienced the same exact issue with a Yamaha receiver and a different TV. Just hook the STB directly to the TV via HDMI, the STB to receiver via optical and be done with it.

Yep, that is what I did (well coax audio). I also went component to receiver to HDMI out and will be a-bing that just for fun.
post #457 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post

Can any of you 60" owners confirm whether or not the 60 has the floating power/lamp lights?

Not sure if this got answered: Nope, no floating lights, no clear strip along the edges. These indicators are at the bottom on the right side.
post #458 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofargone View Post

THUDPP--the gratifying solid snap of the last piece of puzzle put into place. My first HT is finally assembled. Much gratitude to all the AVSers out there!!! Couldn't have done it with you.

KDS-R60XBR2, TWC SA 8300HD, Denon 4306, Toshibia HD-A1 DV-DVD, PS2, SVS SBS-01 5.0, SVS Plus 12.3. Room is 14*15*8, two openings, recliners at 5' from screen (yikes), couch at ~11.' Upgrading from 27" Sony xbr crt circa 1997.

Impressions in somewhat random order (sorry no great insights), settings pretty much custom defaults:

1. ESPN HD: I am blown away. Even at 5' it is perfect. Obligatory, unabashed jaw dropping WOW.

2. SD--varies alot, from "hey that's really good" to yick. I suspect I am very insensitive to the pq problems of crt and the pq problems with bad sources now are so different (and magnified by size) that I am acutely aware of them. I anticipate that I will acclimate to them with a bit of time.

3. She is quite huge. Overwhelms the room, makes the subwoofer seem petite. My stand at 21" is slightly too tall as I suspected it would be (had to compromise on this one). I LOVE the viewing experience of the bigger set. The build quality seems solid. The fan is quiet.

4. I am extremely pleased with the UA and documentation. Very clear, intuitive, and slick--visually pleasing menus, etc.

5. 2 set up problems: 1. Auto-program only found 7 channels (cable from wall to "cable in" on STB, "cable out" on STB to "cable in" on SONY. 2. HDCP error going STB HDMI out to Denon to Monitor out to HDMI in on SONY (supposedly a software issue on the STB).

I've got nearly all day today to play if anyone needs pics, measurements etc.

I have the same issue with the Sony only finding 7 channels when connected via coax cable. I was however able to get the HDMI to work with a SA 8300HD STB. I have "cable from wall" to "cable in" on STB and "HDMI out" on STB to "HDMI 1 in" on Pioneer VSX-84TXSi and then "HDMI out" on Pioneer to "HDMI 7 in" on Sony. This then plays on "video 7" but then you don't even have the option to "auto program."
post #459 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagentry View Post

I have the same issue with the Sony only finding 7 channels when connected via coax cable. I was however able to get the HDMI to work with a SA 8300HD STB. I have "cable from wall" to "cable in" on STB and "HDMI out" on STB to "HDMI 1 in" on Pioneer VSX-84TXSi and then "HDMI out" on Pioneer to "HDMI 7 in" on Sony. This then plays on "video 7" but then you don't even have the option to "auto program."

Wow--no hdcp error? Do you happen to know the soft/firmware versions of SARA and hdcp on your 8300 from the diagnostic screens? I haven't found anyone yet (haven't searched exhaustively tho) that has had this work, but from what I read it requires hdcp v.1.1 or better and SARA ???? v. 1.88 or better and/or some ???? firmware 2.4 or better. To access the diag. screen hold select on the STB (not remote) until mail icon flashes then press info. Use the page up button on the remote to advance pages.

And that is bizarre that we both only find 7 channels. I am going to try to hook cable from the wall directly into the "cable in" on the Sony and see what happens. I don't really want to use a splitter long-term however.
post #460 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

No difference. The only benefit of 24p is the display at 48hz or 72hz refresh rates -- exact multiples of 24 frames -- to virtually eliminate judder.

If a set doesn't support 48hz or 72hz refresh rates then 24p has no benefit.

That's what I'm asking. What is the effect of "judder"?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #461 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Why are you guys with 8300 HD boxes even using the cable in on the Sony? Why don't you just hook the 8300HD box to the Sony via HDMI and be done with it?
post #462 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

That's what I'm asking. What is the effect of "judder"?

A hesistation or non-smooth effect during playback. Anyone who doesn't buy this set because of this 24fps issue is nuts if you ask me. There are reasons not to buy these sets but this isn't one of them IMHO.
post #463 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by thrasher8

Hopefully - Sony will release some official news by CES 2007

Most likely they will show concept products at CES like last year. You will see more information in March/April for the mid line, then June for the XBR line.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. -Aristotle
post #464 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGATAYA View Post

KT, I measured 4 cm (as shown in the pics) from each end point, and drew 2 lines to mark where it needed to be cut. I've had quite a bit of cutting experience with a dremel, and did it free hand using several heavy duty cutting wheels (no. 420) at high speed (by sure to use eye protection and face mask if you try this). You need to be patient, steady, and cut right on your line; it takes a while to cut through the aluminum. Be careful as the inside corner meets not to over cut in one direction. (The only caution is that you only get one chance to do it right, so there is a risk involved here and skill with the dremel comes into play; I would test cutting well inside your piece to get a feel it first). Use a wet sandpaper (400 grit) to smooth the edges. The dremel provides a nice cut as you can see in the pictures (but not perfect). I'd advise to try your way of mounting over the cover first to see if that fits the bill. Good Luck.

Hi TAGATAYA.

Thanks for the instruction notes..

My 60 inch is arriving here in 2 hours and I have to decide if i want to remove the 2 side boards and deal with the Dremel later. Otherwise, I have my insert board ready to go.

Here is my question.
Your picture of the TV base and trim piece implies that the swinging door on the Sony -covering the front input jacks - swings up towards the front -like my XBR1 , but is hinged in such a way as to never come forward and hit the trim piece. Is this correct ( if this is not the case the door would would hit the trim piece) ? So put simply -can you open the access door on the front of the XBR2? Also could you comment on what holds the trim piece in place. Is it just sitting on the end frames -not locked in place?

Also could you advise me on what the least expensive (power-size) Dremel is that I would need to make these cuts.

Thanks

KT
post #465 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Why are you guys with 8300 HD boxes even using the cable in on the Sony? Why don't you just hook the 8300HD box to the Sony via HDMI and be done with it?

TWC's guide is kinda limited. I'd like to see if this TV Guide one is better.

edit: one other reason: twin view--you can only view hdmi inputs on the left side, but not the right. You'll have to hook up some other input to have 2 images.
post #466 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGATAYA View Post

Ok, Tigers game today, so this is it for my posting this morning...here is the 70XBR2 on the SUGW12 stand (made to fit). This was pretty easy to do. It takes a steady hand to cut the pieces on the front trim, but other than that it is about a 15-20 minute job. Remove the top and then remove the 4 screws underneath holding each side piece. As you can see in the picture, the side pieces are removed. Put the top back on and screw it into place and trim 4cm of each side to fit around the pedestal on the XBR2 (see pics in next post). Use a 400 grit wet sand paper to smooth the cut edges. Pop the trim piece back on (it fits tight) and you're done.

TAGATAYA:

From your pictures, it looks like the TV would line up with the sides of the stand if you remove the speakers. Do you intend to leave them on?

Robbin
post #467 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

A question...

Does the XBR2 save settings by input, by resolution, or both?

For example...suppose you want 720p and 1080i signals displayed using mode1, but 480i and 480p signals displayed using mode2 (using native passthrough on your cable box). Is the XBR2 able to do that without reconfiguration? Can it be set to use mode2 upon detection of a SD signal, and mode1 upon detection of a HD signal through the same input?

You can definitely save by input, but as far as I can tell not by resolution. DRC mode does change (e.g., from 1 to 2) depending on source but I have yet to determine the exact factors that cause it to change. The manual doesn't go into much detail (p. 50).
post #468 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingrande@cox.ne View Post

Small issue though. Installer said I should use optical hookup for digital audio.
Currently, I have HDMI from DTV HR10-250 to Pioneer Elite 81TXS and HMDI out to the Sony.

Should I do optical? Will it make a difference?

If your Tivo can send DD5.1 over HDMI and the Pioneer can accept that input, I would think you could be fine. If not, go with optical. The HD DirecTivo has been around for a while -- I would have assumed that it only sends 2 channel sound over HDMI.

Robbin
post #469 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 12:00 PM

What Robbin said makes perfect sense to me...the installer was just trying to get you to feel the full potential of 5.1 vs 2.0 which this version of HDMI (1.2) seems to support.

Use the optical if you have your surrounds all set-up... if you don't have all your speakers up, use the HDMI until you do get them all up

~Dennis
PS3 ID: phlydude
My 60GB PS3 died from over heating - I have a strong feeling Folding didn't help
post #470 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBergan View Post

I haven't seen anything like this - closest was a white stripe on the right (bright) side of a gray scale test screen, but adjusting brightness cleared that up. As it turns out, right now I'm going component from my HR10-250 to the VP50, but the HDNet test pattern seems to be fine. I do intend to switch over to HDMI between those two boxes, but have been changing one thing at a time...

At 1080p, I did have to unlock the framerate. If I kept it locked at 60 hz, the XBR2 would occasionally lose sync and have to resync - effect was I'd get a totally blue screen for a few seconds (and the annoying "unsupported audio" message would come up again.) Going unlocked means I may get a dropped frame (although I haven't seen any evidence of this), but no dropped sync.

Have you turned off all the XBR2s internal processing (noise reduction, and all in the advanced settings?)

eric

Eric: Thanks. I think I have experimented with every possible setting on both the TV and the HDP. Nothing makes a difference other than the input source and all show the problem to some degree. I am going to send Lumagen an email this afternoon and call them Monday. The resolution improvement with the HDP's 1080P is too good to pass up so hopefully they can come up with a fix. Per their user forum, people have had no problem using this with a Pearl. Thanks again.
post #471 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Does the XBR2 have the option to stretch the sides of a 4:3 image to provide less distortion?
post #472 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post

What Robbin said makes perfect sense to me...the installer was just trying to get you to feel the full potential of 5.1 vs 2.0 which this version of HDMI (1.2) seems to support.

Use the optical if you have your surrounds all set-up... if you don't have all your speakers up, use the HDMI until you do get them all up

Thank you Robbnin and Philly. That was very kind of both of you to help educate me on this issue.

My 7.1 is set up and I used the MCACC.

I will plan on doing the optical hook up.

Thanks again.
post #473 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingrande@cox.ne View Post

Thank you Robbnin and Philly. That was very kind of both of you to help educate me on this issue.

My 7.1 is set up and I used the MCACC.

I will plan on doing the optical hook up.

Thanks again.

Just to add my experience....I run hdmi from my Directv HR20-700 to my Sony STR-DA7100ES and then hdmi to my XBR1 (soon to be XBR2). On my receiver there is an option to either have the hdmi sound be AMP+TV or only AMP. If I select AMP+TV then it downgrades to 2 channel since that is all the TV can do. If I select AMP only then it maintains the 5.1 sent from the Directv receiver. I like this setup better since it is only 1 cable (hdmi), same quality, and I only play sound through the receiver for that source. Could possibly save you money on the optical cable....Hope that helps!!

John
post #474 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofargone View Post

Here you go. The measurements might be off by ~1/32--it should probably be measured in metric.

Bottom of black bezel to top of black bezel = 33 1/2"
Left to right edge of black beel = 55 3/4"
Shelf top to bottom edge of black bezel = 5 7/8"

Thanks very much toofargone!!! Hopefully when I measure tonight my setup will still work.
post #475 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreif View Post

Just to add my experience....I run hdmi from my Directv HR20-700 to my Sony STR-DA7100ES and then hdmi to my XBR1 (soon to be XBR2). On my receiver there is an option to either have the hdmi sound be AMP+TV or only AMP. If I select AMP+TV then it downgrades to 2 channel since that is all the TV can do. If I select AMP only then it maintains the 5.1 sent from the Directv receiver. I like this setup better since it is only 1 cable (hdmi), same quality, and I only play sound through the receiver for that source. Could possibly save you money on the optical cable....Hope that helps!!

John

Keeping in mind that the new DirecTv HD-DVR supports 5.1 over HDMI but the older HR10-250 doesn't. So he definitely needs optical. Plus I think fiber-optic cables are cool!

Robbin
post #476 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 02:19 PM

Does the 60" XBR2 come with removable "dumbo ears"?
post #477 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtvcev View Post

Does the 60" XBR2 come with removable "dumbo ears"?

No.. only the 70
post #478 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher8 View Post

With respect to Sony flat panel LCD's anyway, the only difference between XBR2 and XBR3 is the color of the bezel and remote.
post #479 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 02:48 PM

2. things...

1. Are the side speakers on the 60 XBR2 same size of the 60 XBR1? and is it stlyed the same?

2. Some pictures of the 60 XBR2 owners are needed....
post #480 of 12058 Old 10-07-2006, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
And more talk about PQ!

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page