post #4771 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nats View Post

WOW, I hate to hear that!
You say 906 hrs, can you still return it to the store for a replacement or is service your only option?
If there is anyway to return, you should do that ASAP instead of going the service tech. route.
Folks around here have not had much luck (as you probably know) with OB replacements. (if that's what the problem is).
So is this the first CONFIRMED case of the dreaded Green blob in the XBR2?

That's not the "green blob"..............I owned an XBR1 that was replaced with an XBR2 by Sony, and it looks nothing like what you have. The green blob takes up a majority of the screen and is more of a haze as opposed to a solid green dot in one area. Unfortunately, you have a different problem but you can call it whatever you want I guess.

BT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post

That looks like lamp leakage, I remember another user had the same thing. thats not the green glob..

I agree that the lower lighter area of the screen is the lamp. But what about that damn green ball? Can the lamp do that?
post #4773 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtuna View Post

That's not the "green blob"..............I owned an XBR1 that was replaced with an XBR2 by Sony, and it looks nothing like what you have. The green blob takes up a majority of the screen and is more of a haze as opposed to a solid green dot in one area. Unfortunately, you have a different problem but you can call it whatever you want I guess.

BT

Same here. I had a 50'' XBR1 and replaced it with a 60XBR2.
I know his problem does not fit the classic Green Blob, but he seems to insist that it is!
post #4774 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I agree that the lower lighter area of the screen is the lamp. But what about that damn green ball? Can the lamp do that?

My friend had the same thing on his XBR2 70, when you put your face up close to the screen you could see the lamp leakage, he was scared and took it back to Best buy, they called him a few weeks after he had his new one and told him, that it was something loose around the lenses. And I do remember a couple of months ago some user had similar problems with light leakage that look like that. I have seen the green and the stain on the xbr1 and that is not it. I am not going to panic until it is proved. Also he is taking a picture of the screen, when I take pictures of text like that on the screen with my cam it sometimes looks like that.

If you guys want to panic without knowing the true problem, then bring the Trolls.
post #4775 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Same here. I had a 50'' XBR1 and replaced it with a 60XBR2.
I know his problem does not fit the classic Green Blob, but he seems to insist that it is!

OK whatever!!! lets call my problem my little green booger. I'll let you know as soon as the service tech comes over. I might swap the lamp and see if that corrects the problem.

We can all agree its way too soon to see any problems for such a high quality set right?

FYI- this set was ISf calibrated at about 100 hrs.
LL
post #4776 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:46 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGZELA View Post

OK whatever!!! lets call my problem my little green booger. I'll let you know as soon as the service tech comes over. I might swap the lamp and see if that corrects the problem. ....

That does not look anything like the old green blob problem. I would suspect light leakage or an internal reflection problem.
post #4777 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:46 AM

Close-up with the green booger
LL
post #4778 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post

My friend had the same thing on his XBR2 70, when you put your face up close to the screen you could see the lamp leakage, he was scared and took it back to Best buy, they called him a few weeks after he had his new one and told him, that it was something loose around the lenses. And I do remember a couple of months ago some user had similar problems with light leakage that look like that. I have seen the green and the stain on the xbr1 and that is not it. I am not going to panic until it is proved. Also he is taking a picture of the screen, when I take pictures of text like that on the screen with my cam it sometimes looks like that.

If you guys want to panic without knowing the true problem, then bring the Trolls.

No one is panicing
I just want to know what that damn spot is.
I agree with you about taking pics of the screen. And I really dont think he has a green blob problem either. But he clearly has an issue of some kind.
post #4779 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

That does not look anything like the old green blob problem. I would suspect light leakage or an internal reflection problem.

I respect your opinion shouldnt have used green blob so i have changed it...
post #4780 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 AM

Hello , I plan on buying the xbr2 as soon as i get my living room setup , i've bought a sofa and the dimensions as far as i know are 66"W x 40"D x 41"H, what size stand should i get considering the dimensions i've just given ?? ?? also i've seen that the xbr2 is 66 some odd inches long , would i need a stand at least that long , cause i've looked online and from what i've seen most stands that long are kinda out of my price range , overall what are the best dimensions for a stand for the xbr2? , i've seen so many on this thread and on the owners thread and i still have no idea what is the middle ground for most people . what do you guys think of the " Bello Pamari Collection 63 inch Two-Tone AV Rack / TV Stand AV-1063 " ?? , or the Azura nyc tv base ?? would this be good ?? would the speakers over hang ?? also i have a mischievous 4 year old and im having panic attacks already that he might tip the tv over or somehting , lol , i can laugh about it now but if it ever happens i doubt ill be laughing then . This is my first post , but i've been browsing and reading through the threads for a couple of weeks now , so i just wanted to say thanks for all the info i've received thus far and hopefully to come , carlos a , bronx , ny
(sorry for double posting , i put this up in the tv stand thread for xbr2 but received no answer )
post #4781 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK whatever!!! lets call my problem my little green booger. I'll let you know as soon as the service tech comes over. I might swap the lamp and see if that corrects the problem.

We can all agree its way too soon to see any problems for such a high quality set right?

FYI- this set was ISf calibrated at about 100 hrs.

Green booger it is then!
post #4782 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

UMR have you run into this problem on this set yet? what solution did sony give you?
post #4783 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Close-up with the green booger

With the new close up pictures. That looks 100% percent like but my bud's first 70 xbr2. He would only see it in the menu or when it was not a true black background (when the TV was one, but the DVD or SA300 was not turned on- when the TV is on and nothing is plugged in and it's waiting for a signal). They told him it was something loose around the lenses that caused light leakage. UMR has seen more TV's than all of us and I agree with what he says.

This is the most I posted in one day. LOL
post #4784 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum801 View Post

Hello , I plan on buying the xbr2 as soon as i get my living room setup , i've bought a sofa and the dimensions as far as i know are 66"W x 40"D x 41"H, what size stand should i get considering the dimensions i've just given ?? ?? also i've seen that the xbr2 is 66 some odd inches long , would i need a stand at least that long , cause i've looked online and from what i've seen most stands that long are kinda out of my price range , overall what are the best dimensions for a stand for the xbr2? , i've seen so many on this thread and on the owners thread and i still have no idea what is the middle ground for most people . what do you guys think of the " Bello Pamari Collection 63 inch Two-Tone AV Rack / TV Stand AV-1063 " ?? , or the Azura nyc tv base ?? would this be good ?? would the speakers over hang ?? also i have a mischievous 4 year old and im having panic attacks already that he might tip the tv over or somehting , lol , i can laugh about it now but if it ever happens i doubt ill be laughing then . This is my first post , but i've been browsing and reading through the threads for a couple of weeks now , so i just wanted to say thanks for all the info i've received thus far and hopefully to come , carlos a , bronx , ny
(sorry for double posting , i put this up in the tv stand thread for xbr2 but received no answer )

Hello and Welcome
You mean your sofa is 41'' high? What about seating height at eye level?
You only need a stand to fit the bottom pedestal of the TV. Are you getting the 60 or 70''? If the 60'', the Bello should work fine. You may also want to check out the Plateau stands. They are better build quality, and reasonable price.

BTW, a barbed wire fence around the TV should help with the 4 YO. (I,m kidding of course)
post #4785 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 09:01 AM

Here is a link to my 50" XBR1 that had the green blob. You can see what the blob looks like. Click here and then choose a picture.

I agree with the rest that the above user does not have the green blob.
post #4786 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palese View Post

You got me there, I'm going in tonight with no idea what to expect, the good thing is the price came down a bit so if its the XBR2 I should be able to get out of there without loosing my shirt If its a store credit I will be totally lost as to what to get as I will be limited to what they stock. What ever I end up with you can bet I will extend the warranty

I will update tomorrow

Update

I went to CC on my way home and everything went without a hitch, I got full credit for my SXRD and Sony stand plus they pro rated the extended warranty, I can not say enough about extended warranty, and props to CC service and CC in general for the way they handled this.

Now I am sad to say I did not buy another Sony, maybe in a couple of years when they sort out this issue with their LCOS I will be back.
post #4787 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

You may be running the brightness level too high (not the bightness CONTROL, the actual brightness or illumination level). Have you turned down the Picture control ? Have you selected Gamma=low? Have you selected AutoIris=Mode 2? Have you selected "Warm1" or "Warm 2" mode? Have you selected "Power Saver Mode = ON?

All of these will bring the peak brightness levels down to something more reasonable in a darkened room. Running the picture too bright DOES (really!) cause eye strain that can cause fatigue and discomfort. And these sets can be POWERFUL bright. Lowering the peak brightness levels will prolong lamp life (power saving mode is the only setting that will improve lamp life)... how much? We don't really know, but hundreds of hours at least.

Actually, I have only made some minor changes, including getting off the vivid setting with 30 seconds of turning it on. I am using standard, not custom, and I plan on getting into the settings per the tweaks found here a bit more when I have some time. Thanks for the reply. This is truly a great TV and a great forum for finding out how to make it even better!

Jeff
post #4788 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john18 View Post

Here is a link to my 50" XBR1 that had the green blob. You can see what the blob looks like. Click here and then choose a picture.

I agree with the rest that the above user does not have the green blob.

Well I sent the picture to the tech and he is going to replace the OB and the Light fixture as well just to be safe... What do you think??
post #4789 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 10:08 AM

Hey everybody...
Have a couple a questions about the 60" XBR2. I just got off the cloudy 46"lcd bandwagon and find for the same money I can get a MONSTER!!!! Needed flat before but now I live in a bigger house My question: Does this tv fit into corners? Are the sides angled in at a 45 degree angle? How wide is the back panel approximately? You know, where all the inputs are...How thick are the speakers? More than 10"? I'm going to try to fit this into a corner of my room to maximize space and these specs aren't readily available. I have gone through alot of this thread but there are so many pages. If anybody has the answers to any of my question PM me and I will be forever in your debt. Thanks in advance.
Peace
Schwann
post #4790 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwann View Post

Hey everybody...
Have a couple a questions about the 60" XBR2. I just got off the cloudy 46"lcd bandwagon and find for the same money I can get a MONSTER!!!! Needed flat before but now I live in a bigger house My question: Does this tv fit into corners? Are the sides angled in at a 45 degree angle? How wide is the back panel approximately? You know, where all the inputs are...How thick are the speakers? More than 10"? I'm going to try to fit this into a corner of my room to maximize space and these specs aren't readily available. I have gone through alot of this thread but there are so many pages. If anybody has the answers to any of my question PM me and I will be forever in your debt. Thanks in advance.
Peace
Schwann

The TV does taper on the back, but the stand will be the problem. Here's a crude picture that shows the back.
LL
post #4791 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Well I sent the picture to the tech and he is going to replace the OB and the Light fixture as well just to be safe... What do you think??

To be honest, if it does not need the OB changed I would not change it. Why? Some of us XBR1 owners noticed picture degradation problems after having our XBR1's worked on. The techs all tell us that the inside workings are all digital, but at least I suspect that there is room for stuff to go wrong just by opening it and moving stuff around. To get to the OB it looked, to me, like nearly everything in the back of the TV had to be first removed. However, I don't know what differences exist between the back of a XBR1 and a XBR2, nor do I know if fixing the seeming light leakage requires removing all of that anyway.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
post #4792 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Just curious if anyone who has connected their computer to the XBR2's PC input has gotten it to work at the 1920x1080 resolution?

What video card do you have?
Settings?

The manual says EIA standard for that resolution, how is this different from VESA for all the other resolutions?

I have Dell Inspiron E1505, the display setup will let me select the 1920x1080 resolution for the
external VGA port (second monitor), but I haven't managed to get this to work.

I am able to get things displayed on the XBR2, but only at a much lower resolution.

Otherwise I love my 60"

Thanks.
post #4793 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum801 View Post

OK, no kidding this time
No more panic attacks, just buy Sony's stand custom made for this TV. It has a locking strap in the back and fits snug in a cut-out on top. No human 4 YO would be able to tip it. Only one small problem, it's expensive (about 500$ at discount). But it may be worth it for peace of mind
I am thinking of getting one myself (I think it looks cool) but dont know what I would do with my old wooden stand (which is huge, and heavy)
post #4794 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54703 View Post

Just curious if anyone who has connected their computer to the XBR2's PC input has gotten it to work at the 1920x1080 resolution?

Settings?

The manual says EIA standard for that resolution, how is this different from VESA for all the other resolutions?

I have Dell Inspiron E1505, the display setup will let me select the 1920x1080 resolution for the

I am able to get things displayed on the XBR2, but only at a much lower resolution.

Otherwise I love my 60"

Thanks.

I was able to get 1920x1080 with my ATI video card. I don't remember the version, but it's nothing fancy. The problem is that it's a reduced window - maybe filling up only 2/3 of the screen. It's a pretty bad picture.

There is particular type of sync that the Sony likes, and I can't remember which it is. I think it likes Sync On Green. Do a search for that term and you should find some interesting posts. And once you figure out the right sync type then you'll have to check to see if that's what the Dell supports.
post #4795 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:

OK, no kidding this time
No more panic attacks, just buy Sony's stand custom made for this TV. It has a locking strap in the back and fits snug in a cut-out on top. No human 4 YO would be able to tip it. Only one small problem, it's expensive (about 500$ at discount). But it may be worth it for peace of mind
I am thinking of getting one myself (I think it looks cool) but dont know what I would do with my old wooden stand (which is huge, and heavy)

only problem there for me is that the Sony stand for the XBR2 is about 75" wide & it's rectangular, instead of hexagonal w/ the angular back like the old XBR1 stand.

w/ my 14' front wall, 2 Klipsch Cornwalls, a Velo HGS-18 sub, & the component rack needing to go there along w/ the TV & stand, that new Sony stand wouldn't work for me. it's THAT tight.
post #4796 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

OK, no kidding this time

prob with sony stands as they have cut outs, you are stuck with them, for just that set.

I have a 60XS965, that I am trying to upgrade to XBR2 and it really hearts that I have to change the stand too!
post #4797 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

I was able to get 1920x1080 with my ATI video card. I don't remember the version, but it's nothing fancy. The problem is that it's a reduced window - maybe filling up only 2/3 of the screen. It's a pretty bad picture.

There is particular type of sync that the Sony likes, and I can't remember which it is. I think it likes Sync On Green. Do a search for that term and you should find some interesting posts. And once you figure out the right sync type then you'll have to check to see if that's what the Dell supports.

Okay - thanks. Reading the manual again I see it states that the PC's input displays on screen in a smaller size than the actual TV screen size... I would assume that this implies that 1920x1080 may be go in, but something less than comes out....

It also states that this TV's PC input does not support Sync on Green or Composite Sync...
post #4798 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

UMR have you run into this problem on this set yet? what solution did sony give you?

I have not seen any serious problems with an XBR2 so far, but that looks like light leakage or an internal reflection. I would have them swap the display if possible. Replacing a light engine is major surgery.
post #4799 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:

I have the Lamp time up from the service menu notice it says 906 hrs.....

CNET and others have mentioned that the green glob starts to show around 1000 to 2000 hrs.

That's the same thing mine had. I returned it and got a new one.
post #4800 of 12058 Old 02-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54703 View Post

Settings?

Otherwise I love my 60"

Thanks.

Mike,
I've connected mine to my 60 and as for the quality of the picture, it looks great. I also have an ATI card, nothing fancy but it does support the 1920 x 1080 resolution and yes the picture is about 2/3 of the actual screen size. There are controls in the settings that allow you to stretch the screen but it looks better if you leave it at normal. I would also like to fill the screen but I don't think that's gonna happen.
Regards,
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page