Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 169 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5041 of 12055 Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After a few weeks of the beautiful 70" picture, I decided it's time to get sound for it. I purchased a Bose CineMate (3 speakers) that sounded amazing at Frys. It says we can hook it up directly to the TV but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Could you guys please share your ideas on the best way to go about installing these for premium sound? The other option is to connect it through an old Pioneer receiver (Pioneer vsx-d912). The speakers I got today are these The speakers I got today are these
Thanks a million !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 12055 Old 02-24-2007, 04:19 PM

OH Boy here we go!
post #5043 of 12055 Old 02-24-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro View Post

OH Boy here we go!

Shhh.
post #5044 of 12055 Old 02-24-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

Power Cords -

Dumb things, and IMPOSSIBLE things also seem to change system sound when it comes to power cords... most power cords sound different when you raise them off the carpet with almost anything. I'm not saying the sound is better or worse, but it is different. You won't hear this if you are using the TV speakers. You need a decent system with decent speakers to hear these differences. You don't have to spend money on 'cable lifters' though... anything you use is going to be just as likely to sound as good as or better than some commercial product. I have used cheap hot water pipe insulation from Home Depot or Lowes as cable raisers... it works and costs almost nothing. Cut 2" lengths of the pipe insulation and slip the cable inside where the pipe would be. I like the dark charcoal gray insulation better than the light gray smaller stuff. It seems stupid, I know - and I have only tried this with cables that would normally lay on wall-to-wall plush carpet. Berber carpet or tile or hardwood floors might produce completely different results.

Back to power cords... anything you do to the cord seems to change the sound... clip clothes pins to it... wrap it in nylon mesh... put tight tie-wraps on the power cord in several places... everything changes the sound a little. Again, it's hard to say if any of these things are better or worse, but they are different. But they are different at very low levels. The differences are NOT worth spending money on commercial products that could cost a lot of money. Try tie-wrapping 2 magnets to the power cord - the magnets should be opposing each other so they are trying to spring apart. The wire ties should hold them together in spite of the replusing forces. It's an interesting effect and just about the only thing I have ever tried that makes the soundstage seem more spacious (easiest to hear with high-end stereo playback).

I did one of those DUMB THINGS after reading this. I put Vise Grip pliers on all my speaker cables and suspended them from the ceiling with coat hangers. At first I got no sound. I had the Vise Grips too tight and sound could not pass through the speaker cables. I loosened the grip and could hear a more transparent sound through my high end Bose speakers. I also loosened the screws 1/2 turn on all the electrical outlets in the room. This widens the sound stage on music.

By coincidence my wife placed a glass of milk on the Bose bass module and believe it or not the bass went lower than normal. I now place a quart of butter milk (heavier than milk) on the sub and bass is unbelievable from this little module.

I will share more secrets as time permits.
post #5045 of 12055 Old 02-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

I did one of those DUMB THINGS after reading this. I put Vise Grip pliers on all my speaker cables and suspended them from the ceiling with coat hangers.

I fear the horse may have already bolted from the barn, but can we try and keep postings on this thread related to the XBR2s, and hence primarily video? Thanks.

eric

post #5046 of 12055 Old 02-24-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Unless peer reviewed evidence is supplied to support claims that power cords, cables and my personal favorite "power conditioners" make a difference....the claim falls into the catagory of pseudoscience and is lumped with UFO's and Bigfoot.

The true believers never provide peer reviewed evidence. Something published in a acoustic journal....anything refereed. Nope...just meaningless anecdotes.

" lifting a power cord off of the carpet changes the sound". Now this person has never taken even an introductory class in experimental methods, psychophysics or even intro psychology. There are so many confoundings and extraneous variables inherent in this example I don't know where to start. Yet this person actually believes that this is a true statement!

Incredible....

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #5047 of 12055 Old 02-24-2007, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

I did one of those DUMB THINGS after reading this. I put Vise Grip pliers on all my speaker cables and suspended them from the ceiling with coat hangers. At first I got no sound. I had the Vise Grips too tight and sound could not pass through the speaker cables. I loosened the grip and could hear a more transparent sound through my high end Bose speakers. I also loosened the screws 1/2 turn on all the electrical outlets in the room. This widens the sound stage on music.

By coincidence my wife placed a glass of milk on the Bose bass module and believe it or not the bass went lower than normal. I now place a quart of butter milk (heavier than milk) on the sub and bass is unbelievable from this little module.

I will share more secrets as time permits.

If you use 2% milk the mid-range just opens up. Heat the milk and it adds a sense of warmth that is hard to describe

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #5048 of 12055 Old 02-24-2007, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Unless peer reviewed evidence is supplied to support claims that power cords, cables and my personal favorite "power conditioners" make a difference....the claim falls into the catagory of pseudoscience and is lumped with UFO's and Bigfoot.

The true believers never provide peer reviewed evidence. Something published in a acoustic journal....anything refereed. Nope...just meaningless anecdotes.

" lifting a power cord off of the carpet changes the sound". Now this person has never taken even an introductory class in experimental methods, psychophysics or even intro psychology. There are so many confoundings and extraneous variables inherent in this example I don't know where to start. Yet this person actually believes that this is a true statement!

Incredible....

100% correct. I used to be into high-end audio but found that the primary problem with the equipment was the loose nuts that claimed to hear "more air" with $2,000 speaker cables and $1,000 framistans.

Yes, there are some very slight differences between cheap cables (ie. zip cord, etc.) and decent cables but I could never hear the difference between $50 cables and $2,000 cables. I finally gave up and settled for good upper-mid range equipment and sanity.

Quote:

there is a MECHANICAL element to electricity moving in wires

Yes, there is. It is called electromagnetism. You can also see it at work in electric motors and doorbells.

Quote:

All that said, once you get past $200, it's is really hard to justify the cost of any power cord.

Funny, I would have a lot of trouble justifying paying $20 for a power cord, let alone $200.

Quote:

I find that mid-priced 20 amp outlets (ivory or white in color, sometimes called commercial grade, selling for $7-$8 each) sound better than contractor-grade outlets that sell for $1-$2 each AND they sound better than orange hospital grade outlets that sell for $10-$15 each.

I can't tell the difference between the sound of the commercial grade outlets and the contractor-grade outlets. Perhaps if I put my ear closer.......

Here is a fine example of the general wackiness of "Audiophiles":

From Stereo Design in San Diego

From Transparent Audio:
Power Isolator 8 Power Conditioner $3,295.00
Reference MM SS Speaker Cable (12 foot pair) $20,195.00
Reference MM Valve Speaker Cable (12 foot pair) $20,195.00
Balanced Reference XL Interconnect Cable (2 meter pair) $9,000.00
Reference MM Balanced Interconnect Cables (25 foot pair) $16,800.00
Reference AC Cable $775.00
Reference Phono Interconnects (1 meter pair) $1,100.00
Balanced Musiclink Ultra Interconnects (2 meter pair) $2,330.00
Reference Digital Link Digital Cable (1 meter) $1,195.00

(P.S. I really like the "X-2 Alexandria Floorstanding Speakers (Dark Titanium) $135,000.00/pair". I wonder how many bedrooms and baths they come with? )

Be seeing you!
post #5049 of 12055 Old 02-25-2007, 10:37 AM
fcb
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Please stop, y'all are killing me. I'm getting rug burn from rolling on the floor laughing. The only way to screw up speaker cables is to run too small a cable for too long a distance, say #22 for 20 feet. yes, I have seen this done.
All of my speaker wiring is # 10 Romex, run in the walls, and # 10 zip cord from the outlest to the speaker. Why? Cause I had some lying around.
My degrees is EE, with graduate courses in sound wave and acoustics. 1977, but still....

Fred

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #5050 of 12055 Old 02-25-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Filtering is not this unit's strong point. You could probably get some additional image quality improvement if you put a passive-filtering power conditioner between this APC unit and the XBR2.

I'm not sure this is a good idea. According to the Owner's Manual for my UPS (a Tripp Lite SMART1000LCD).:

"Do not use extension cords to connect your UPS to an AC outlet. Your warranty will be voided if anything other than Tripp Lite surge supressors are used to connect your UPS to an outlet."

and

"Do not connect surge supressors or extension cords to the outlet of your UPS. This might damage the UPS and will void the surge supressor and UPS warranties."

Be seeing you!
post #5051 of 12055 Old 02-25-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
thank god....people with some common sense are back in this thread.

but can we P L E A S E return to the topic of XBR2.

hard to believe this got so far off track by a simple post about a UPS for the XBR2.

please if you want to discuss ups, power filters, conditioners or surge protection go here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=277384

if you want to discuss audio theory go here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #5052 of 12055 Old 02-25-2007, 02:34 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonytvforme View Post

After a few weeks of the beautiful 70" picture, I decided it's time to get sound for it. I purchased a Bose CineMate (3 speakers) that sounded amazing at Frys. It says we can hook it up directly to the TV but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Could you guys please share your ideas on the best way to go about installing these for premium sound? The other option is to connect it through an old Pioneer receiver (Pioneer vsx-d912). The speakers I got today are these The speakers I got today are these
Thanks a million !!!

Connect the speakers to the Pioneer amp, the amp input to the tv audio monitor jacks.

Fred

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #5053 of 12055 Old 02-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonytvforme View Post

Thanks a million !!!

Ummm... What a great TV you have.
post #5054 of 12055 Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenGhoti View Post

The important part is that you should definitely use Mode 2 for externally-scaled SD.

Newbie question how does it know if it's SD and Scaled? For example, lets say I'm coming out of a Cable or Sat box into my receiver. The output could be from SD HBO scaled to 1080i or from HDNET which is already 1080i. Or is my concept of how you'd hook up the Video equipment incorrect? Do you have to have scaled devices coming into the tv via a different port?

If so, are there direct codes that you can program into a remote (harmony 880/890 or the old warhorse HTM's MX-500) so that a macro would instantly go to the correct input on the TV and switch the the receiver as well (in the past, I always ended up having to hit the input button a few times to switch to the correct one)?

If this has been answered already, I apologize...I'm only up to message 850 or so and there are at least 100 more pages of messages to go.
post #5055 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

Please stop, y'all are killing me. I'm getting rug burn from rolling on the floor laughing. The only way to screw up speaker cables is to run too small a cable for too long a distance, say #22 for 20 feet. yes, I have seen this done.
All of my speaker wiring is # 10 Romex, run in the walls, and # 10 zip cord from the outlest to the speaker. Why? Cause I had some lying around.
My degrees is EE, with graduate courses in sound wave and acoustics. 1977, but still....Fred

getting 2 brand new 60XBR2 from Sony as replacements for XBR1's, could not believe what I was reading about cables here. I have replaced Audio cables, Component cables and S-Video cable bought at Dollar Tree - Yes, you read it right, its $1 each - and the owner of the "Monster" cable could not see or hear the difference. He even asked me if I would like to keep the "Monster" cables(because it was too big and too stiff to make a clean wire bundle).
post #5056 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Power Cords -

Here's the deal... no matter how much you deny that power cords can make any difference at all... they do make a difference, though less for video than for audio. Video all happens at such high frequencies and power supplies are so different than those used in audio equipment, that video doesn't seem to be much affected by the power cord.

Electricity is funny stuff... there is a MECHANICAL element to electricity moving in wires. This can be seen when a power line breaks and the loose ends fly around on their own. Every time the bare end is grounded to something, a lot of current flows in the wire and this current flow causes the loose wire to JERK really hard... hence all the jumping around. Elevator motor power leads have to be very tightly restrained because they jerk so hard when the elevator starts and stops that they would flail all over the place if they were not firmly anchored. This happens on a much smaller scale in home theater components.

All that said, once you get past $200, it's is really hard to justify the cost of any power cord. The wire can only cost so much and installing good plugs on the 2 ends can only get so expensive.

One thing I have found... cords with molded ends always sound worse than cords with good plugs on the ends. So you can upgrade any molded-end power cord by cutting off the molded end and installing a good plug. A good plug will have solid brass prongs (cheap ones will have sheet brass folded back on itself, avoid those). You can use screws on the plug to attach wires or solder the wires to the plug... both work about equally well. Do not use "friction" or "chinese handcuff" connections where you just slide bare wire into a hole and "teeth" inside the hole retain the wire.

I find Caig Labs DeoxiT D5 keeps assembled plug ends in perfect condition over time... apply this chemical to the bare wires and screw terminals on plugs, then assemble normally. Also apply the D5 to the prongs on plugs. I like the 5% spray can because you can spray it into female RCAs and female AC plugs. It's a little messy for prongs on plugs, so you may want a different form of D5 you can apply from a little tube or brush. It comes in lots of applicators. www.caiglabs.com You can find it discounted online but every place I've found it has such high shipping, that you pretty much wipe out the discount. www.partsexpress.com is one of the discounters.

I am convinced that 50% to 75% of the difference I hear between power cords is all due to MECHANICAL issues with the power cord rather than electrical issues. "Loose" power cords sound flabby and over-ripe. "Tight" power cords seem to restrain the sound. When choosing a wire to make your own power cords, it shouldn't be too floppy nor too loosely constructed, and it shouldn't be wound up super tight with a stiff jacket either. That said, I do have a couple of really stiff power cords for amplifiers... 8 gauge. They don't want to bend very well. But they sound better than other amplifier power cords for some reason.

The electrical outlets (wall outlets) you use also make a difference. I find that mid-priced 20 amp outlets (ivory or white in color, sometimes called commercial grade, selling for $7-$8 each) sound better than contractor-grade outlets that sell for $1-$2 each AND they sound better than orange hospital grade outlets that sell for $10-$15 each. Again, video seems immune to many things that make a difference for audio. Though FILTERING & balanced power (another form of filtering) do seem to help video image quality.

Dumb things, and IMPOSSIBLE things also seem to change system sound when it comes to power cords... most power cords sound different when you raise them off the carpet with almost anything. I'm not saying the sound is better or worse, but it is different. You won't hear this if you are using the TV speakers. You need a decent system with decent speakers to hear these differences. You don't have to spend money on 'cable lifters' though... anything you use is going to be just as likely to sound as good as or better than some commercial product. I have used cheap hot water pipe insulation from Home Depot or Lowes as cable raisers... it works and costs almost nothing. Cut 2" lengths of the pipe insulation and slip the cable inside where the pipe would be. I like the dark charcoal gray insulation better than the light gray smaller stuff. It seems stupid, I know - and I have only tried this with cables that would normally lay on wall-to-wall plush carpet. Berber carpet or tile or hardwood floors might produce completely different results.

Back to power cords... anything you do to the cord seems to change the sound... clip clothes pins to it... wrap it in nylon mesh... put tight tie-wraps on the power cord in several places... everything changes the sound a little. Again, it's hard to say if any of these things are better or worse, but they are different. But they are different at very low levels. The differences are NOT worth spending money on commercial products that could cost a lot of money. Try tie-wrapping 2 magnets to the power cord - the magnets should be opposing each other so they are trying to spring apart. The wire ties should hold them together in spite of the replusing forces. It's an interesting effect and just about the only thing I have ever tried that makes the soundstage seem more spacious (easiest to hear with high-end stereo playback).

Wow. Seriously, I do not mean to offend you but, you may want to learn about these things before you post. This information is totally and utterly BS.

This is almost as bad as anyone saying there is a difference between a monter cable or audioquest and a standard cable... Actually there is, you SAVE money and don't buy into the snake oil. My canare 4S11 speaker cables are excellent and didn't cost me 10,000 a pair or some outrageous figure like that.

Don't buy into marketing gimmicks people, rely on pure SCIENCE!
post #5057 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmabuyer View Post

I have all NAD Silver Series for Pre and Amps. PSB Platinums all around for 7.1.

I looked into getting some Acoustic treatment but everything I have found does not suit my taste or decor. Auralex is either too bulky or expensive. Other resonators or traps are yucky-looking at best.

Also, am thinking of making my own power cable but do not know where to begin? I guess I'll scout Local Home Repair Stores to check some heavy 12 or 10 guage wire and some nice plugs.

Are those the NAD Master Reference deals? You will pick up differences on cabling. If you go hit the "audio asylum" there are all kinds of guys putting their "DIY recipes" for everything from power cables to room treatments. Not a bad way to go if you like to do you own thing on the cheap. Check in the "tweaks/diy" forum in the audio asylum and look for links to a guy named Jon Risch. More DIY ideas than you can shake a stick at.

I understand the aesthetic issues with the room treatments--especially if it's in a room that isn't a dedicated room and has to hold of to the WAF or kids beating on things.

Good luck!
post #5058 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 09:50 AM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHuey View Post

getting 2 brand new 60XBR2 from Sony as replacements for XBR1's, could not believe what I was reading about cables here. I have replaced Audio cables, Component cables and S-Video cable bought at Dollar Tree - Yes, you read it right, its $1 each - and the owner of the "Monster" cable could not see or hear the difference. He even asked me if I would like to keep the "Monster" cables(because it was too big and too stiff to make a clean wire bundle).

Glad you have my back.

Fred

Fred

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #5059 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHuey View Post

Not to keep this thread off topic, but I couldn't resist. I to used to believe in Monster Cable and other high end speaker cable companies and their BS. I now use heavy guage lamp cable from Home Depot for speaker wire. I think it was 14 cents per foot. It even has a nice dash pattern on one side so I can keep my positives and negatives in line. It sounds fine to me.

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #5060 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

100% correct. I used to be into high-end audio but found that the primary problem with the equipment was the loose nuts that claimed to hear "more air" with $2,000 speaker cables and $1,000 framistans.

Yes, there are some very slight differences between cheap cables (ie. zip cord, etc.) and decent cables but I could never hear the difference between $50 cables and $2,000 cables. I finally gave up and settled for good upper-mid range equipment and sanity.

Yes, there is. It is called electromagnetism. You can also see it at work in electric motors and doorbells.

Funny, I would have a lot of trouble justifying paying $20 for a power cord, let alone $200.

I can't tell the difference between the sound of the commercial grade outlets and the contractor-grade outlets. Perhaps if I put my ear closer.......
)

And your post is a perfect example of people who think they know it all. I was trained as a mechanical engineer, but over the years I also had to become an electrical engineer and a computer design engineer. I have 34 years of engineering experience and many more years of education. I am never so amused as I am when someone writes everything off as artifacts of delusional audiophiles. Education teaches you some things... that there are things that have no answers... yet, to question everything, and when you get into an area where there is insufficient (or flawed) research that you need to avoid forming opinions or do (and publish) the research yourself. You probably don't need to be reminded that supposedly "brilliant" people over the years have believed everything but the truth. It's amusing that you think you are in posession of all the answers. You can do or say whatever you want, but brilliant and clever as you think you are... you don't have all the answers.
post #5061 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And your post is a perfect example of people who think they know it all. I was trained as a mechanical engineer, but over the years I also had to become an electrical engineer and a computer design engineer. I have 34 years of engineering experience and many more years of education. I am never so amused as I am when someone writes everything off as artifacts of delusional audiophiles. Education teaches you some things... that there are things that have no answers... yet, to question everything, and when you get into an area where there is insufficient (or flawed) research that you need to avoid forming opinions or do (and publish) the research yourself. You probably don't need to be reminded that supposedly "brilliant" people over the years have believed everything but the truth. It's amusing that you think you are in posession of all the answers. You can do or say whatever you want, but brilliant and clever as you think you are... you don't have all the answers.

Whatever! I have over 40 years of engineering and tech experience! Still, this is the "Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread", not a cables thread. If you would like to discuss the relative merits of cables and the like for high-end audio systems, I would be more than happy to meet you in one of the "Audio theory, Setup and Chat" forums here. Name the place.

By the way, if anyone reading this is interested, there is an interesting article about this subject here.

Be seeing you!
post #5062 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 01:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxvfrr41 View Post

When connecting the digital optical out from the XBR2 to an A/V receiver, I do not get any sound out of the home theater. I searched through this thread and found a post that states that the digital optical out only works with a cable card. Is this true? The Quick Reference Setup Guide (diagram D) shows a digital optical connection to an A/V receiver and also show a cable box and there's no mention of a cable card.

Any help with this would be appreciated. With my previous TV (Samsung HL-R6768W DLP), the Digital Optical Out was connected to the A/V receiving and worked fine. I have the XBR2 set up exactly the same way as the Samsung but do not get any sound from the Digital Optical Out.
post #5063 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

[quote=cctvtech]Whatever! I have over 40 years of engineering and tech experience! QUOTE]

Not to mention thousand of dollars saved on cables.

Fred

Fred

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #5064 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 680
so i finally got everything set up (oppo dvd player, onyko surround system)....
i downloaded superman returns on my xbox 360, but i have trouble enjoy movies now, all i can do is listen to be sure the sound is coming out of my surround sound right and most of all i keep looking at the screen to be sure the "quailty of picture" is good and overanazyaling everything.....i am having a tough time relaxing and enjoying the tv......
post #5065 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any help with this would be appreciated. With my previous TV (Samsung HL-R6768W DLP), the Digital Optical Out was connected to the A/V receiving and worked fine. I have the XBR2 set up exactly the same way as the Samsung but do not get any sound from the Digital Optical Out.

According to the Sony's eSupport website

"Solution: No Sound or Intermittent Sound while using Digital Audio Optical Out jack from Television

If you are using a Set-top box from either a Digital Cable provider or a Digital Satellite provider an Optical Output connection will be located on their equipment. Connect your Home Theater system directly from the Set-Top box Digital Audio Optical Output if possible. Routing through multiple devices will result in a degrading of your sound quality.

If you are using the CableCARD connection with a co-axial connection to your television, you may be experiencing Intermittent Sound from your Digital Audio Optical Output. The reason is that your provider has a mixture of Digital and Analog programming. Digital TV programming will have no problem and transmit sound through your Digital Audio Optical Output connection, however any Analog programming will not be trasmitted through the Digital Audio Optical Output connection.

The Digital Audio Optical Out jack is only available when a digital TV channel is recieved.

NOTE: Ensure that both your A/V analog jacks and your Digital Audio Optical Output jack are connected to your Home Theater system to recieve sound from both Analog and Digital programming."

Be seeing you!
post #5066 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

so i finally got everything set up (oppo dvd player, onyko surround system)....
i downloaded superman returns on my xbox 360, but i have trouble enjoy movies now, all i can do is listen to be sure the sound is coming out of my surround sound right and most of all i keep looking at the screen to be sure the "quailty of picture" is good and overanazyaling everything.....i am having a tough time relaxing and enjoying the tv......

Perhaps a call to Umr is what's needed here - and by others who worry about their audio/vido setup. Instead of spending big $ on cables, UPS, etc - seems to make more sense spending little $ on expert tuning; given that the end result is guaranteed to be correct.
post #5067 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Interesting. Can't get it to work here either. I guess I never noticed since I've connected the digital optical out from my HD cable box to HT receiver directly, not from the TV. Do you have this option? I guess the cablecard thing makes some sense.
post #5068 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sony will only output digital optical received from the cable card or OTA input. It will not output digital optical received from the HDMI cable.
post #5069 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

If you use 2% milk the mid-range just opens up. Heat the milk and it adds a sense of warmth that is hard to describe

i found goat milk to provide perfect harmonic balance when placed on my subwoofer. the sound can be tweeked even better by adding some gouda cheese as well.

neflixis our nemesis
post #5070 of 12055 Old 02-26-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Why do computers use a power cord that would cost no more than $5? Would adding a $200 power cord allow P1 processor to operate like a P4 ?
Why are computers designed with inexpensive components as opposed to high end components?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page