post #6391 of 12055 Old 06-02-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRabb View Post

Hey gang! Hope you are all doing well this weekend!

Boy it's been awhile since I had a problem to report. I used to have an XBR1 before getting a brand new replacement for a 60 inch XBR2. I've had it for about 93 days. But here's the problem...

I have a huge oval of purple hue around 2/3rds of the screen (on all inputs). I'll try to take a screen shot but my girl and I have just split and it was her camera. In any case, there is a purple haze, about the color of the reply boxes here on AVS FORUM. It is hard to see on regular viewing but if you get a nascar or indy show, the grey of the asphault changes color as the cars go around the track.

I've put on a DVE test color screen and sure enough, on grey test screens, a large consistent oval of haze in a circular pattern (maybe 15 inches thick) forms around the tv image. It starts to dissapear (thought not totally) when I get to a bright image.

In any case, I'll have to work with extended warranty because Sony refuses to touch it. I talked to a few Sony reps and explained how dissapointed I was that an XBR2 replacement for the XBR1 would exhibit problems after 90 some odd days.

Anyway, at least I have the coverage. What a drag, huh? Any ideas? I must say, it is nice to see most of everyone enjoying their sets! This isn't cancer but it is a ROYAL pain in the rear. I'm going to trade out the bulb and see if that was causing any problem...

Any words of wisdom my fine fellow board members? : )

what a drag is right! i know you havent had it long but any idea how many hours on the set?

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 12055 Old 06-02-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

what a drag is right! i know you havent had it long but any idea how many hours on the set?

I'm sure with my watching, between 250 and 400 hours.

SIGH.
post #6393 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

have you had a chance to change the bulb yet? i hate to say that it does sound like the OB though. your description is simmilar to some posted in the xbr1 thread as i'm sure you know. perhaps you just got a defective one. most in this thread have a lot more hours than that and i've not heard of anyone else having that issue. please keep us informed on the happenings with this.

SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #6394 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:

have you had a chance to change the bulb yet? i hate to say that it does sound like the OB though. your description is simmilar to some posted in the xbr1 thread as i'm sure you know. perhaps you just got a defective one. most in this thread have a lot more hours than that and i've not heard of anyone else having that issue. please keep us informed on the happenings with this.

I haven't changed the bulb...I was rethinking the strategy cost wise. I mean, the bulb just puts out light so it wouldn't be specific to any color variation, right? I could be wrong of course, unless the bulb is putting out less light around different parts of the screen...

I just didn't want to crack open a new box but if you think it's worth a shot, I'll go grab it.
post #6395 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't changed the bulb...I was rethinking the strategy cost wise. I mean, the bulb just puts out light so it wouldn't be specific to any color variation, right? I could be wrong of course, unless the bulb is putting out less light around different parts of the screen...

I just didn't want to crack open a new box but if you think it's worth a shot, I'll go grab it.

i kinda doubt its the bulb too. i totally agree that it seems unlikely that the bulb would cause such an abnormality. but there really is no cost involved in changing it out provided you don't break either one of them. if the problem is still there they are both still good bulbs. the most logical thing to do is call for warranty, however, we'll never know definitively if it was the bulb or not if you don't try it. (i shouldn't be experimenting through you but i cant resist)

post #6396 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:

i kinda doubt its the bulb too. i totally agree that it seems unlikely that the bulb would cause such an abnormality. but there really is no cost involved in changing it out provided you don't break either one of them. if the problem is still there they are both still good bulbs. the most logical thing to do is call for warranty, however, we'll never know definitively if it was the bulb or not if you don't try it. (i shouldn't be experimenting through you but i cant resist)

Yeah what the hell though, right? = ) I'll give it whirl after the gym and post later this evening. : ) Thx for your idea bro...

Jay
post #6397 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

In any case, I'll have to work with extended warranty because Sony refuses to touch it. I talked to a few Sony reps and explained how dissapointed I was that an XBR2 replacement for the XBR1 would exhibit problems after 90 some odd days.

Why would Sony refuse to touch it? You are still within the optical block warranty period of both your original XBR1 and the XBR2. I also have a replacement XBR2 and would raise hell if Sony wouldn't take care of it.

By the way, when my XBR1 went bad, I had the green blob to a mild and tollerable degree but then developed a purple vertical stripe, about two inches wide, along the right side of the screen. The tech who looked at it said that the purple, like the green blob, was due to a defective green panel. He said that screens look purple when there is an absence of green. He concluded that a portion of the green panel had failed completely.

Roy
post #6398 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by royrose View Post

Why would Sony refuse to touch it? You are still within the optical block warranty period of both your original XBR1 and the XBR2. I also have a replacement XBR2 and would raise hell if Sony wouldn't take care of it.

By the way, when my XBR1 went bad, I had the green blob to a mild and tollerable degree but then developed a purple vertical stripe, about two inches wide, along the right side of the screen. The tech who looked at it said that the purple, like the green blob, was due to a defective green panel. He said that screens look purple when there is an absence of green. He concluded that a portion of the green panel had failed completely.

Roy

True on both counts. I too have an XBR2 that replaced an XBR1. I would expect Sony to cover repairs to the XBR2 as if I had purchased it new at the time of the replacement - especially since I had to pay the $750 difference to them.

And purple is the result of no green (red+blue=purple).

Be seeing you!
post #6399 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 131
After almost 6400 posts I am wondering if you all think the XBR2 is still the best choice for mirco displays and do you still think it is worth the price difference over the 2020 especially at todays 2020 discounts?
post #6400 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Roy

Maybe they think it is something else besides the OB. But I'll call them this week again and see if they can do something about it...

I didn't know that the Oct. 2008 extended coverage accounted for XBR2's as well. Is this confirmed?
post #6401 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe they think it is something else besides the OB. But I'll call them this week again and see if they can do something about it...

I didn't know that the Oct. 2008 extended coverage accounted for XBR2's as well. Is this confirmed?

AFAIK, the extension only applied to XBR1's. I checked Sony's support website and there is nothing about extended OB warranties for either the "A" series or the XBR2 series. However, the warranty for the XBR2's states 2 years on the OB (parts only - you'd still have to pay labor after 1 year).

Is yours more than 1 year old? If it replaced an XBR1 within the last year and you had to pay Sony an "upgrade fee", I would demand they cover it under the XBR2's full warranty.

Be seeing you!
post #6402 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Roy

The Oct 2008 coverage seems to be for XBR1's only. See link at bottom..

Also, my replacement model XBR2 CONTINUES the original XBR1 warranty, so to Sony, my XBR2 is not 93 days old but rather 1+years because it takes my previous unit (XBR1) and adds the two time periods together. So I may just have to go through extended...I still shouldn't have to pay anyhting though. I'll get to the bulb soon, I'm beat from the gym...lol.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/new...R1&news_id=185
post #6403 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, my replacement model XBR2 CONTINUES the original XBR1 warranty, so to Sony, my XBR2 is not 93 days old but rather 1+years because it takes my previous unit (XBR1) and adds the two time periods together.

Thats very interesting because when I had my XBR1 swapped out for my XBR2, I specifically asked about the warranty. They told me that I had 1 year from taking delivery of my new set.
post #6404 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

However, the warranty for the XBR2's states 2 years on the OB (parts only - you'd still have to pay labor after 1 year).

I didn't know that labor is not included after the first year. I bet that means that they will not replace XBR2s with a completely new set like thay did XBR1s. I was hoping that mine would go bad next year and would be replaced by an XBR3.
post #6405 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvg45 View Post

Thats very interesting because when I had my XBR1 swapped out for my XBR2, I specifically asked about the warranty. They told me that I had 1 year from taking delivery of my new set.

I was told the same thing by Sony's "Replacement Department" when I specifically questioned them about it. I had to call them back after I received the XBR2 because I didn't get an invoice.

Unfortunately, the invoice does not specifically state a warranty period. it is dated 2/9/07 so if I have a problem, I intend to push them to make that date the purchase date for start-of-warranty.

Be seeing you!
post #6406 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't know that labor is not included after the first year. I bet that means that they will not replace XBR2s with a completely new set like thay did XBR1s. I was hoping that mine would go bad next year and would be replaced by an XBR3.

The XBR1's original warranty was only 1 year on everything - parts and labor, so the XBR2's 2-years warranty on the OB part only is still a better deal. It still covers 1 year of labor on everything.

Be seeing you!
post #6407 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

The XBR1's original warranty was only 1 year on everything - parts and labor, so the XBR2's 2-years warranty on the OB part only is still a better deal. It still covers 1 year of labor on everything.

I just confirmed with Sony that my replacement XBR2 continues the warranty from my XBR1, hence, extended warranty time.

"Bunch of savages in this town... "

; )
post #6408 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Boy it's been awhile since I had a problem to report. I used to have an XBR1 before getting a brand new replacement for a 60 inch XBR2. I've had it for about 93 days. But here's the problem...

I have a huge oval of purple hue around 2/3rds of the screen (on all inputs). I'll try to take a screen shot but my girl and I have just split and it was her camera. In any case, there is a purple haze, about the color of the reply boxes here on AVS FORUM. It is hard to see on regular viewing but if you get a nascar or indy show, the grey of the asphault changes color as the cars go around the track.

I've put on a DVE test color screen and sure enough, on grey test screens, a large consistent oval of haze in a circular pattern (maybe 15 inches thick) forms around the tv image. It starts to dissapear (thought not totally) when I get to a bright image.

Anyway, at least I have the coverage. What a drag, huh? Any ideas? I must say, it is nice to see most of everyone enjoying their sets! This isn't cancer but it is a ROYAL pain in the rear. I'm going to trade out the bulb and see if that was causing any problem...

You have an optical block problem. Sony IS replacing optical blocks to fix this problem. However, retail price of the optical block is in the $1700 range and replacing it is something that's not done lightly. Most of the time, when the set has this problem, there will be a yellow or yellow-green tinted center with a magenta (that's the color of the message border) 'donut' around the yellow or yellow-green area and sometimes a blue tinted area outside the magenta donut.

Try telling the Sony rep again that you have an optical block problem that has been encountered by others in XBR2 owner forums on the internet and that Sony has been replacing the optical block for those owners to correct the problem. Ask to speak to a manager if the first person refuses service for your problem.
post #6409 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 09:15 PM

To begin with, i am a newbie to this tv set as i have just bought it a couple of days ago, might i add the pic quality is far better then any other set's i have compared it with besides the lcd flat panal for 30 g's however i've quickly become disappointed with the three numbers i get on the display on the top right corner of the screen, and by this i mean 480P instead of 1080 i/p, i have a sat with a component output and an x box 360 with a component hd output however when i play games it goes only to 1080i and when i watch movies it down converts to 480p/ as with sattlite connection.
This set me out to buy yet another machine which i thought would upconvert the signals to 1080P. I bought a STR-DG1000 which clearly said it would upconvert, but im still gettin a 480p display on the corner of the tv screen. Know i don't know if i have a setting wrong or something but i don't care if it isn't true 1080p i just want it to say 1080 to atleast get my conscious happy after spending all this money behind it.
Also i have another question of watching a hd movie of a computer since i have mkv files, waht is a decent hdmi chip to go out and buy for my sony vaio desktop with an intel p4?
It would greatly be appreciated if someone can help me out
post #6410 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had to call them back after I received the XBR2 because I didn't get an invoice.

I had to do the same thing. They said that they dont send an invoice unless a request is made by the customer.

Quote:

Unfortunately, the invoice does not specifically state a warranty period. it is dated 2/9/07 so if I have a problem, I intend to push them to make that date the purchase date for start-of-warranty.

Usually invoices do not specifically state warranty periods. They show purchase date which would be the start of your manufacturers warranty (Sony's 1 yr). If I encounter any problems within the first year of my invoice date, I expect to be covered under Sonys manuf. warranty. After that my Tapeworks warranty will kick in.
post #6411 of 12055 Old 06-03-2007, 11:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by karandave23 View Post

To begin with, i am a newbie to this tv set as i have just bought it a couple of days ago, might i add the pic quality is far better then any other set's i have compared it with besides the lcd flat panal for 30 g's however i've quickly become disappointed with the three numbers i get on the display on the top right corner of the screen, and by this i mean 480P instead of 1080 i/p, i have a sat with a component output and an x box 360 with a component hd output however when i play games it goes only to 1080i and when i watch movies it down converts to 480p/ as with sattlite connection.

Lets start with one idea, and a couple of simple sentences.

Your new TV displays all inputs at 1080p. The TV never reports it's native resolution because it's the only one it has.

You are seeing the resolution numbers for your input signals.

Quote:

This set me out to buy yet another machine which i thought would upconvert the signals to 1080P. I bought a STR-DG1000 which clearly said it would upconvert, but im still gettin a 480p display on the corner of the tv screen.

You need to learn how to configure your your new STR-DG1000 A/V receiver. The only upgrading that it seems to do is 480i to 480p if the input is connected using Composite of S-Video inputs.

C|net review of the Sony STR-DG1000 A/V receiver

Quote:

It would greatly be appreciated if someone can help me out

All inputs from DVD players or TV set top boxes (STB) are converted by the TV from 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i to 1080p. Some DVD players and all HD STBs will upconvert to either 1080i or 720p if you configure them to do that.

It might be better for you to try to ask one question at a time, and be sure to completely identify the component that you are asking about.

It also helps if you identify how you have connected the component that your are asking about.

Good luck.
post #6412 of 12055 Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 AM

hey thanks for answering my question, so all in all im still going to get a 480p upconvert only rite?
i am using only the component hd cables for both my xbox 360 and sat box
and it only gives out 480p. those are sent to the sony receiver and then an hdmi out is going to the tv
post #6413 of 12055 Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeamer View Post

http://users.rlc.net/rb/sxrd/full.html

I'd really appreciate it if someone with what would be considered a nice tightly focused and converged screen could post or email me a picture of their grid.
Thanks in advance for any help

i finally had a chance to pull up the patterns on mine. the pics i took look like crap. couldn't hold the camera still or something. so i wont post them. here's my observations at inches away from the screen. on the cross hatch pattern mine appears well focused and sharp, the red is shifted a little to the right but uniform across the screen. the dot pattern shows the red shifted to upper right at about 2 o'clock and uniform across the screen. i didnt attempt to shift the red. when i get a little more time alone i will. hope this helps

post #6414 of 12055 Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by karandave23 View Post

... so all in all im still going to get a 480p upconvert only rite?

I'm not sure what you are referring to. If a 408p signal is input to your TV, the TV will upconvert it to 1080p. The image quality will not be as good as an input signal (720p or 1080i) from a HD source.

Quote:

i am using only the component hd cables for both my xbox 360

I can't answer your xbox questions. I don't have one.

Quote:

and sat box and it only gives out 480p.

Which satellite STB do you have? Unless you have HDTV service the best you will get is 480p input to your TV. If you have HDTV service then you should be getting 720p or 1080i from Fox, ABC, and ESPN depending on your provider. Also with HDTV, you should be getting 1080i from all the other HDTV channels like Discovery Channel, PBS, NBC, and CBS.

Quote:

those are sent to the sony receiver and then an hdmi out is going to the tv

All I know about your receiver is what I read to answer your first post. It sounded to me like a component input had to be switched to the TV using the receiver's component output.

All your receiver seems to do with component and hdmi is act as a switch. Most people connect their video input devices directly to the TV using either component or HDMI cables. Then they connect the audio directly to their A/V receiver for surround sound using digital audio cables (optical or coax).
post #6415 of 12055 Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Which satellite STB do you have? Unless you have HDTV service the best you will get is 480p input to your TV. If you have HDTV service then you should be getting 720p or 1080i from Fox, ABC, and ESPN depending on your provider. Also with HDTV, you should be getting 1080i from all the other HDTV channels like Discovery Channel, PBS, NBC, and CBS.

My 622 Dish receiver sends 1080i to my receiver no matter whether the original transmitted format is 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.
post #6416 of 12055 Old 06-04-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysb View Post

My 622 Dish receiver sends 1080i to my receiver no matter whether the original transmitted format is 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

It sounds like you have HDTV service. Other's may have SDTV service.

Some people also have receivers that will pass through the original resolution. I have cable, and like your setup, I have every signal converted at the STB to my TV's native resolution (720p).
post #6417 of 12055 Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvg45 View Post

I had to do the same thing. They said that they dont send an invoice unless a request is made by the customer.

So did SONY faxed or mailed you an invoice after you requested it?
post #6418 of 12055 Old 06-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I do not think it is an optical block problem. My XBR2 has the same issue. I contacted three separate authorized Sony service providers. They all tried to say the purple/green circle haze was normal. One of them did replace the optical block because he saw a different problem that he believed justified the change. That replacement OB had a shadow spot on it, so it was also replaced. The bottom line: even after changing all of these OBs, my television still displays the purple and green donut. Something else is wrong, but Sony does not want to address it.
post #6419 of 12055 Old 06-04-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post

So did SONY faxed or mailed you an invoice after you requested it?

Mailed.

Be seeing you!
post #6420 of 12055 Old 06-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

It sounds like you have HDTV service. Other's may have SDTV service.

Some people also have receivers that will pass through the original resolution. I have cable, and like your setup, I have every signal converted at the STB to my TV's native resolution (720p).

I do have HDTV service. I was just pointing out, that the way you wrote your original response, it made it seem only the HDTV channels would be 1080i. This is not always the case, as you well know.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page