Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 12065 Old 10-09-2006, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald K View Post

Could someone with a 70" xbr2 give me the exact width without the speakers?

I know Sony's specs say 68.6" - but I only have 67".

I would be replacing a 73" Mits in custom cabinets (The Mits is only 65" wide).

Heres hoping the specs are wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Latest version of the manual states that width without speakers is 1714mm (67.5"):
http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro.../60_70_xbr.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 12065 Old 10-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone playing XBOX360 on their XBR2's...please post your findings. I and other gamers may be curious if there are lag issues on this set as in other LCD's. I know technically this is LcOS and not LCD, but I have my concerns.

DLP MIGHT be better for gaming, but honestly I am not that impressed with the DLP picture as it compares with the XBR2. The DLP image appears to be a little soft...a little fuzzy and glossed over when compared to the XBR2. So, I am hoping the XBR2 can be my one-stop-solution for my viewing/gaming needs.
post #633 of 12065 Old 10-09-2006, 11:04 PM

ARRRRGH.

I was paying too much attention to a certain element of the PQ, and now I've seen the silk-screen effect for the first time in my life. Now I can't unsee it. Damnit, damnit, damnit.

Sorry, I had to vent.

I have to say, it's definitely more pronounced on this TV than my old Elite. I've looked at the old screen in this way and never seen SSE. Oh well, I'm still keeping the TV.
post #634 of 12065 Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenGhoti View Post

ARRRRGH.

I was paying too much attention to a certain element of the PQ, and now I've seen the silk-screen effect for the first time in my life. Now I can't unsee it. Damnit, damnit, damnit.

Sorry, I had to vent.

I have to say, it's definitely more pronounced on this TV than my old Elite. I've looked at the old screen in this way and never seen SSE. Oh well, I'm still keeping the TV.

AIken, do u have the 60 or the 70?
post #635 of 12065 Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I have the 70XBR2 and a fairly big & heavy center channel speaker, 57 lbs. Anyone have any suggestions for a speaker stand? Preferably above the TV. Right now I have it sitting on the floor in front of the set. Just doesn't sound right.

I bought a Sanus VMTVb wall backet meant to mount 13" - 27" TVs, sort of like what you'd see in a hospital room with TV mounted on wall. The bracket shelf had adjustable width and the max width was EXACTLY the width of my center channel. It had vertical adjustment so I could tilt it 10 deg. downward - fires right at my head while seated. I put it just flush with my TV top and about 1/2" inch above the top plastic of the TV - you can't even see the shelf unless you look behind TV. Holds 100 lbs. Best Buy carries them for about $60. It worked PERFECTLY for what I wanted.

If you have your TV up against a flat wall, then this is perfect. If you are in a corner, then could be a problem.

http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_sto...d=942195_18159
post #636 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Muchas gracias. Great ideas from 3Gun & drhollen.

On a different note, when watching dark scenes it's very difficult to make out details. For example Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi. The other night I got sucked into Timecop (guilty pleasure) on Universal HD. Granted it's an older movie, but some of the dark scenes were too dark. Could it be my settings or just the source?

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #637 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

AIken, do u have the 60 or the 70?

The 70.

I have to say, now that I've stopped staring intently at it, I've stopped noticing the SSE again. Phew. It's really not a problem unless you're compulsively looking for it.
post #638 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

On a different note, when watching dark scenes it's very difficult to make out details. For example Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi. The other night I got sucked into Timecop (guilty pleasure) on Universal HD. Granted it's an older movie, but some of the dark scenes were too dark. Could it be my settings or just the source?

I've been reading that different settings will change the way dark levels look. I forget what it's called, however there are at least two different "aperture" settings. It may be called something else though.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #639 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 04:36 AM

Important note for anyone who thinks their SD material looks like crap...

For anyone who has experimented with the picture settings I posted, I should point out a really important thing I forgot to mention the first time around. I've edited the post to add the following to the Setup section:

Quote:

• CineMotion: Auto for 480i material. Note that this is actually OFF by default (?!?) and you have to actually be in 480i mode to turn it on. Without this, SD looks like crap. With it, some material can look almost as good as an upconverting DVD player.

When I posted my initial impressions, I was pretty disappointed with SD material. I now feel like it's actually very good and I'm pretty happy with it.

(I've made a few other tweaks to that list of settings, if anyone is interested.)
post #640 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 200
AikenGhoti

In what areas have you noticed the improvement in SD material?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #641 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 06:34 AM

Newbie would appreciate your advice. I will have the 60" XBR2 delivered this week, and it will be my first HD TV. My DVD player is ancient (its on loan to a friend anyway), and time for one that will get the most out of my SD DVD collection on my new display. While I await 2nd generation HD DVD & Blu-ray players to begin sorting out the HD format issues, I'm looking for a cost effective solution for the interim.

I've read all about the OPPO Digital players (excellent 1080i upconversion), and they sound perfect for what I'm looking for (I cannot believe how inexpensive!). My question: has anyone tried either the DV-970HD or the OPDV971H with the XBR2?

From what I've read in the forums and on their site, sounds like 2 options. The 970HD via HDMI with DRC in mode 2 on the Sony....or the 971H via DVI with DRC in mode 1 on the Sony. Can anyone comment on these choices?

Can anyone also comment on how well the HD DVD & Blu-ray players handle SD DVD's with the XBR2, and is it possible you get better performance with your current upconverting SD DVD player? Having 2 DVD players depending on HD vs SD format seems painful, but if that delivers a better overall solution, perhaps I should consider a better quality SD DVD player for permanent use?

Again, I'm new to this and pardon me if I completely missed the boat with these questions .
post #642 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

If not already off, I'd suggest turning off the "black corrector" in advanced settings (you need to be using custom picture mode). If some programs are still too dark, you can set the gamma option to low. I know not everyone likes making "artificial" changes by adjusting gamma (brightness of mid-range detail) but I've found I like HD with it set to low. It's not good for DVD via 480i, however.

Robbin
post #643 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm not a sports guy, but I have to admit that today, after hooking this set up and seeing football, I wish I were.

Mind you, either Comcast or NBC was way overcompressing the college football that was on today. CBS looked better. They both looked fabulous as long as the image was static, but pans were painful to watch.

I actually have watched a few games here and there, and I could swear the quality was a lot better before. Maybe it's a college vs. Superbowl thing.

There was something on Fox, I forget what, but it looked good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

On my Sharp LCD FP all HD Games having been playing perfect especially CBS and ESPN, TNT Sports with CBS being the best but the one channel I am having a similar challenge with is NBC HD Football during normal views it's close to perfect but once NBC pans it has issues that I see on no other HD Channels and I've been viewing mine for 9 months but something is amiss with NBC HD Football - no other stations on my Sharp has panning issues whatsoever yet when I watch their College or Sunday Night the pans present it while I have no other channels replicating the event. My Sharp is slower than new ones at 12ms but I have no motion problems doing X360 or other channels since a very slight issue during the Winter Olympics with downhills but even then were very slight - now I think about it the Winter Olympics were NBC HD I believe.

As an SXRD has great response times I would put the onus on NBC HD and compression - someone's cheating as there is no way that should occur on a new SXRD and the panning issue does not replicate on any other channel with my set and yours is much faster.

I've been fighting with Comcast for the crappy NBC HD feed since the NFL preseason started. The difference between CBS, Fox and ESPN when compared to NBC is a night and day difference. The over head camera looks fine but on sideline cameras where there is a lot of fast moving action the picture goes to hell and gets all blocky and blurry and shows a ton of artifact's. All the other channels look great but any fast moving sporting event on NBC HD isn't worth sitting through and watching.

I know it's not my SXRD because it does it on my bedroom HD TV too. I've even ha it go as far as switching to the SD feed and getting a stuttering effect on both TV's where the picture stops and then starts again. Comcast doesn't seem to be able to fix it nice it's an NBC issue. I even record the issue for the techs to see every time they come out, to bad there USB ports don't work so they can copy it and take it with them to show someone a little higher up with a little more power to get NBC to fix the issue. It's as if NBC is using a lower frame rate then all the other networks?
post #644 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

My question is similar to XBR2Mikes's, but let me phrase it differently:

How does the Oppo scaler compare to the XBR DRC 2.5 scaler? In other words, I could use my current 480i DVD and let the XBR scale to 1080p, or I could buy an Oppo to scale to 1080i and then the XBR to scale to 1080p.

Any opinions on which is best?
post #645 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlefoot View Post

Finally got to see the 60" at Tweeter in Harrisburg today. They didn't have to 70" model yet. Only got about 5 minutes to look at it and they just set it up so I think it still had all of its factory settings screaming at me. Looked very nice though. They also had a 50" XBR1 at a terrific price, so now I am considering that one, this one, the A2000, and the Mits 831 series. Decisions, Decisions.

The Tweeters on N. Michigan Ave. (Chi-town) has the XBR1 for a couple of bills and some change, but no XBR2. They are short of space for large screens.
post #646 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You might want to try increasing the "brightness" control. Ideally, you probably should get or borrow one of the calibration dvds and adjust picture/brightness based on that.

But, there do seem to be three overlapping controls - brightness/picture, auto iris, and power saving that probably all effect black levels, and at least I don't have a good feeling for how they interact yet.

post #647 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

post #648 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Is that the 60" or the 70"? Looks very nice in either case.
post #649 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 09:41 AM

For Anyone Interested In The 70"xbr2 In The San Diego Area The Local Tweeter Has One Left In Stock. After A Little Negotiation, I Was Offered It Yesterday For A great Deal! Unfortunately, I Bought My Xbr1 From Magnolia And Can Only Trade It In For The Xbr2 At Magnolia. I Was Informed Magnolia/best Buy Won't Have 70" Until End Of Month. If Interested In 70" Or Have Questions On What Tweeter Has Been Authorized To Discount The 70"xbr2 Feel Free To Pm Me.
post #650 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Its the 60
post #651 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR2Mike View Post

Newbie would appreciate your advice. I will have the 60" XBR2 delivered this week, and it will be my first HD TV. My DVD player is ancient (its on loan to a friend anyway), and time for one that will get the most out of my SD DVD collection on my new display. While I await 2nd generation HD DVD & Blu-ray players to begin sorting out the HD format issues, I'm looking for a cost effective solution for the interim.

I've read all about the OPPO Digital players (excellent 1080i upconversion), and they sound perfect for what I'm looking for (I cannot believe how inexpensive!). My question: has anyone tried either the DV-970HD or the OPDV971H with the XBR2?

From what I've read in the forums and on their site, sounds like 2 options. The 970HD via HDMI with DRC in mode 2 on the Sony....or the 971H via DVI with DRC in mode 1 on the Sony. Can anyone comment on these choices?

Can anyone also comment on how well the HD DVD & Blu-ray players handle SD DVD's with the XBR2, and is it possible you get better performance with your current upconverting SD DVD player? Having 2 DVD players depending on HD vs SD format seems painful, but if that delivers a better overall solution, perhaps I should consider a better quality SD DVD player for permanent use?

Again, I'm new to this and pardon me if I completely missed the boat with these questions .

After doing a ton of research, I have ordered the Denon 1930CI (just couldn't stomach the price of the 2930). The video processor on the new 1930CI seems to be the best in the $300 range. It also outputs at 1080P through HDMI so it can pass straight through the Yamaha RX-V2700 and the 70" XBR2. It will all be hooked up in two weeks (waiting for the media room addition to be completed) and I will post my impressions.

Mitsubishi WD-73738, Yamaha RX-V2700, Sony BDP-S570, 5.1 Surround with PSB Image Series Speakers
post #652 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoomFan View Post

For Anyone Interested In The 70"xbr2 In The San Diego Area The Local Tweeter Has One Left In Stock. After A Little Negotiation, I Was Offered It Yesterday For A great Deal! Unfortunately, I Bought My Xbr1 From Magnolia And Can Only Trade It In For The Xbr2 At Magnolia. I Was Informed Magnolia/best Buy Won't Have 70" Until End Of Month. If Interested In 70" Or Have Questions On What Tweeter Has Been Authorized To Discount The 70"xbr2 Feel Free To Pm Me.

Why The Brazen Misuse Of Capitalization?
post #653 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(I've made a few other tweaks to that list of settings, if anyone is interested.)

Yes, I am interested.

THANKS!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #654 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Important note for anyone who thinks their SD material looks like crap...

For anyone who has experimented with the picture settings I posted, I should point out a really important thing I forgot to mention the first time around. I've edited the post to add the following to the Setup section:

Originally Posted by AikenGhoti
CineMotion: Auto for 480i material. Note that this is actually OFF by default (?!?) and you have to actually be in 480i mode to turn it on. Without this, SD looks like crap. With it, some material can look almost as good as an upconverting DVD player.

When I posted my initial impressions, I was pretty disappointed with SD material. I now feel like it's actually very good and I'm pretty happy with it.

Is this something that needs to be set up for every input?...If I set up one input for CineMotion (Auto) while in 480i, or will it only effect the one input I'm setting it in?

Thanks...

post #655 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Anyone found a remote code that'll turn captions on and off with a single button? It's pretty damned cumbersome having to go through the tools menu.

While I haven't found a single key code, I made a macro on my pronto to turn it on and off with a singe key press by activating the buttons in the correct order. Having a pronto or something similar is about the only way I could think of accomplishing this. I tried the CC button from one of my older Sony's and it didn't work.
post #656 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 10:48 AM

I ran into an issue with my SA8300HD and 70XBR2 that I thought I'd mention here for anyone else new to HDMI. After connecting the SA8300HD via HDMI I was noticing that I was only getting Stereo sound through my receiver on programming with 5.1 audio. I checked the advanced settings on the cable box and audio out was set to HDMI. I switched it back to Dolby Digital and got the 5.1 audio working again but now the audio doesn't go through the TV speakers. Anyone know how I can keep both active without having to go into the settings menu every time I want to switch between the two?
post #657 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I've been reading that different settings will change the way dark levels look. I forget what it's called, however there are at least two different "aperture" settings. It may be called something else though.

It is the Gamma setting you are looking for. The Gamma control will increase the brightness of all the values between black and peak white. This will make the overall brightness of the source appear brighter. It will not effect , at all, black or peak white levels themselves.

KT
post #658 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevea2be View Post

I've been fighting with Comcast for the crappy NBC HD feed since the NFL preseason started.

...so they can copy it and take it with them to show someone a little higher up with a little more power to get NBC to fix the issue. It's as if NBC is using a lower frame rate then all the other networks?

Comcast has nothing to do with it as you know. You really need to take the issue with your local NBC station.

I have read that some around the country have really good picture quality with NBC and others people have all the types of problems you discribe. This points that NBC is sending out a good signal, so we can only gather that it's some of the local stations that screw up the signal.

post #659 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBergan View Post

You might want to try increasing the "brightness" control. Ideally, you probably should get or borrow one of the calibration dvds and adjust picture/brightness based on that.

But, there do seem to be three overlapping controls - brightness/picture, auto iris, and power saving that probably all effect black levels, and at least I don't have a good feeling for how they interact yet.

I understand how brightness/picture and auto iris can effect picture "brightness" however how does a "power saving" effect "brightness levels"?

post #660 of 12065 Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 AM

Hi guys I have tried a DVI to HDMI on the set and am getting major overscan anyone have any fixes yet.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page