Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 220 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6571 of 12065 Old 07-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Member
 
RobBeamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I posted in here a month ago about some obvious issues with my 70XBR2. Basically when looking at the service menu test grid with the small squares you could see there was an overall blur to the grid plus some convergence issues on one side so correcting one side just screwed up the other. The blur is the biggest issue and makes the picture look pretty soft compared to the XBR1 I had that was replaced because of discoloration issues.

Tech guy came over and admitted the replacement optical blocks coming from the factory were frequently far from perfect and gave me the the option (what I really wanted all along) of going to the store and checking out the same service menu pattern on a couple of sets there.

So checked out several and they were all better than mine but the best was one that had been on display. The grid on that one is generally razor sharp with just the slightest bit of red convergence being off on one side of the screen. No where near a pixels worth and I doubt it could have any impact on pq at normal viewing distance. I'm thinking absolute perfection is probably not realistic but correct me if I'm wrong.

My main question is related to the hours on the set. My impression has been the the lifespan on these is really long outside of the bulb and they are going to give me a brand new bulb (and I get to keep the unused replacement I have for the current set). Is there anything that I should be worried about as far as the number of hours of use it has? I'm a good customer and friends with about half the people there so I could go back and check the hours on it (you can do that in service menu can't you?) if there is some magic number where you have to start worrying about other components.

Thanks for any advice and sorry if this is at all rambling. Just got back from the second half of a root canal and a little doped up right now
RobBeamer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6572 of 12065 Old 07-03-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
strutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Statesville,NC
Posts: 1,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis1957 View Post

Hi Folk

I am one of the "others".....an owner of a 60XBR1 with the dreaded green/yellow/purplish blob. 2-optical blocks later Sony has opted to replace my XBR1 with a refurbished XBR2.

Are you all happy with your XBR2 and has anyone experienced the "blob" syndrome with their XBR2 . I have read pages of your forum and everyone seems happy.

I want to be happy too!

Thanks in advance

i've been at this thread since inception and i dont recall any blobs here. there have been a couple of color uniformity issues but not the blob as described in the xbr1 threads. i believe they exchanged them for different sets.

i'm vey happy with mine.

Why a refurb?
i'd push for a new one.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

strutter is offline  
post #6573 of 12065 Old 07-03-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
strutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Statesville,NC
Posts: 1,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeamer View Post

So I posted in here a month ago about some obvious issues with my 70XBR2. Basically when looking at the service menu test grid with the small squares you could see there was an overall blur to the grid plus some convergence issues on one side so correcting one side just screwed up the other. The blur is the biggest issue and makes the picture look pretty soft compared to the XBR1 I had that was replaced because of discoloration issues.

Tech guy came over and admitted the replacement optical blocks coming from the factory were frequently far from perfect and gave me the the option (what I really wanted all along) of going to the store and checking out the same service menu pattern on a couple of sets there.

So checked out several and they were all better than mine but the best was one that had been on display. The grid on that one is generally razor sharp with just the slightest bit of red convergence being off on one side of the screen. No where near a pixels worth and I doubt it could have any impact on pq at normal viewing distance. I'm thinking absolute perfection is probably not realistic but correct me if I'm wrong.

My main question is related to the hours on the set. My impression has been the the lifespan on these is really long outside of the bulb and they are going to give me a brand new bulb (and I get to keep the unused replacement I have for the current set). Is there anything that I should be worried about as far as the number of hours of use it has? I'm a good customer and friends with about half the people there so I could go back and check the hours on it (you can do that in service menu can't you?) if there is some magic number where you have to start worrying about other components.

Thanks for any advice and sorry if this is at all rambling. Just got back from the second half of a root canal and a little doped up right now

I'm not aware of anything to be worried about other than the bulb and any cosmetic defects it may have from being out on display. did they have it set on Blaze mode? how many hours a day? and for how many days did it blaze? there are others here that may chime in with more experience that me though.

how to check bulb hours
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776484
half way down 2nd post.

hey man...enjoy that doped up feeling. it wont last long enough.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

strutter is offline  
post #6574 of 12065 Old 07-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Newbie
 
Kurtis1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

i've been at this thread since inception and i dont recall any blobs here. there have been a couple of color uniformity issues but not the blob as described in the xbr1 threads. i believe they exchanged them for different sets.

i'm vey happy with mine.

Why a refurb?
i'd push for a new one.


Strutter

Thank you much for your input about the exchange and the information. Don't know for sure yet which route to go.

Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks again
Kurtis1957 is offline  
post #6575 of 12065 Old 07-04-2007, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Will Munshower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tobes of Hades, Central Florida
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rob,

I had a set that exhibited the same problem you describe. Well...Not competely, I had one with the convergence off in one quadrant of the set. Not only was it out, it was REALLY out. Have them order you a new set, then tell the store you are going to do what I did. Once it arrives, have them call you. Go to the store and have them unpack it. Plug in the TV and check the various internal convergence patterns.

If all is well with the convergence and any other item that would irk you, tell them that they may deliver this set and this set only. Believe me, if you do that and the delivery people are careful with your TV, you will be much happier. I am so satisified with my replacement (3rd) Sony, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I am NOT bashing Sony's QA. I, and a FEW others hit what is called the 'unlucky lottery' a majority of owners have had 0 issues or very minor ones with their very first XBR2. I was just not one of those folks. Me thinks the XBR1 hysteria may have added some kerosene to the fire, as well. Well...not me, I never heard of a green blob issue with an XBR2.

Best of luck...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Will Munshower is offline  
post #6576 of 12065 Old 07-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Member
 
foleydc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am I suppose to hear my fan running? It has always been set to run, but I have never heard it, so I'm not sure if it working or not. Thanks for any help.
foleydc is offline  
post #6577 of 12065 Old 07-05-2007, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DCIFRTHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foleydc View Post

Am I suppose to hear my fan running? It has always been set to run, but I have never heard it, so I'm not sure if it working or not. Thanks for any help.

If it's running, and don't hear it, that's a good thing! How close are you standing to the set when you listen for it?

Do you hear it when you put it to high?

I hear a buzzing sound from the lamp area. It can be heard from several feet away, of the general lamp area, if the room is quiet. I had a technician out to look at it, and he said it was normal. When I disagreed, he said he would replace the lamp driver assembly (two circuit boards?), but I had to move the TV off the Sony stand before he would work on it because he had a bad back. I was the only person home at the time. He also said that if he changed out the parts, it would make the same noise, so it probably wasn't worth doing...
DCIFRTHS is offline  
post #6578 of 12065 Old 07-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Senior Member
 
MultimediaGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhouse View Post

... Sony said that not all cards are created equal, (ha) and that if Comcast cant get it to work they need to send a tech out to program a card to my TV specifically. They noted the problem in my file, said it was Comcast's problem So I got my son to get comcast on my cell while I had sony on the line. I decided to put card 2 back in. Boom it found the channels. We got comcast to authorize it on the phone and all the sudden I'm good. Sony says see, it's comcast's fault and leaves.

Comcast can't explain it, but says it looks fine. 24 hours later my programs are all there, the TV guide is running and I am in HD heaven. No cable box, just pick the channels on the tv, the way the good lord intended.

Well, that's my tale of woe. Hope you enjoyed it. Let me know if you had similar problems ...

wilhouse

Willhouse,

I went through more than a handful of cable cards for both my XBR1 and my HDD-250 DVR both of which are Sony. I went through a couple because of problems with the software versions, some would stop displaying most of the premium channels, some would simply stop working completely. They had tried different cards, distribution amplifiers and replaced many of their cables, including one outside. The last time, they sent a higher level technician to my home to analyze the signal and found that the signal to noise ratio was pretty bad, and that the signal was over powering my card. He brought a pretested card, replaced another cable on the pole outside and put in an attenuator in combination with an amplifier to get the signal just right. I had my doubts about this as I had been told so many things before. But after that service call, I have not had any further problems (knock on wood) and am going on many months now.

I ended up replacing my TV with an XBR2. I think they put in a different card when the new set arrived and problems arose. They replaced the card once and I have had not problems since. The picture quality on my XBR2 from the cable is awesome aside from some internal dirt / dark spots. I am working with the store on the spots and am getting awesome support on this - but that's another story.

One thing I want to add here is that the cable company always sent out someone to activate, monitor the data, or reset the card. I offered, but they insisted that their technicians had to be here.
MultimediaGeek is offline  
post #6579 of 12065 Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Member
 
RobBeamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey will (and strutter) thanks for the replies.

When I went in to check for the replacement was able to look at a couple of new sets along with the one I mentioned in my post and the demo was the best of the bunch. I didn't mention it in the last post but I'm friends with most of the guys at the store here in charlottesville (plus generate a lot of business for them) so I'm not worried about them taking care of me if something went wrong with this set related to it having some hours.

I've always been told that these have lifespans (outside of the bulb) that are much greater than any period of time I'd go between upgrades so my main concern that there was in fact some bit or piece of the set that tends to go bad after X number of hours so I can bring it up to them in advance of taking delivery.

I'm pretty excited about seeing the 'new' one in my setup. Even with the obvious issues on the current set that created the 'soft' image that was very obvious to me because my 60xbr1 had been so amazing (pre discoloration issues) .... people that came over would comment on how great the current one looks. After seeing the grid on the one I'll be taking came back and checked my current set out again. How screwed up the current one is is much more obvious now.

I'll post an update after I'm up and running this evening.

Thanks again for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Rob,

I had a set that exhibited the same problem you describe. Well...Not competely, I had one with the convergence off in one quadrant of the set. Not only was it out, it was REALLY out. Have them order you a new set, then tell the store you are going to do what I did. Once it arrives, have them call you. Go to the store and have them unpack it. Plug in the TV and check the various internal convergence patterns.

If all is well with the convergence and any other item that would irk you, tell them that they may deliver this set and this set only. Believe me, if you do that and the delivery people are careful with your TV, you will be much happier. I am so satisified with my replacement (3rd) Sony, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I am NOT bashing Sony's QA. I, and a FEW others hit what is called the 'unlucky lottery' a majority of owners have had 0 issues or very minor ones with their very first XBR2. I was just not one of those folks. Me thinks the XBR1 hysteria may have added some kerosene to the fire, as well. Well...not me, I never heard of a green blob issue with an XBR2.

Best of luck...Will

RobBeamer is offline  
post #6580 of 12065 Old 07-05-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
strutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Statesville,NC
Posts: 1,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by foleydc View Post

Am I suppose to hear my fan running? It has always been set to run, but I have never heard it, so I'm not sure if it working or not. Thanks for any help.

i can only hear mine when I'm real close to the vents, like behind it routing cable.


DCIFRTHS:
i hear the buzz too, only if its quiet in the house and I'm real close to the set when i turn it on, like bending over in front of it messing with components.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

strutter is offline  
post #6581 of 12065 Old 07-05-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
strutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Statesville,NC
Posts: 1,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeamer View Post

Hey will (and strutter) thanks for the replies.


some bit or piece of the set that tends to go bad after X number of hours so I can bring it up to them in advance of taking delivery.

I'm not aware of any parts of the set that are known to go bad after X number of hours, except the bulb. there are xbr1 owners who have had their sets several years and other than OB problems i haven't seen any pattern of anything else going bad.
we're 10 months past the release date of the XBR2 and I've not heard of any patterns yet that would be a lifespan issue. nobody has even posted about changing a bulb yet.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

strutter is offline  
post #6582 of 12065 Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Member
 
RobBeamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great ... and thanks again. Talked to my friend at the store and he confirmed they'll be sending a new bulb so sounds like I'm set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

I'm not aware of any parts of the set that are known to go bad after X number of hours, except the bulb. there are xbr1 owners who have had their sets several years and other than OB problems i haven't seen any pattern of anything else going bad.
we're 10 months past the release date of the XBR2 and I've not heard of any patterns yet that would be a lifespan issue. nobody has even posted about changing a bulb yet.

RobBeamer is offline  
post #6583 of 12065 Old 07-05-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Will Munshower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tobes of Hades, Central Florida
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foleydc View Post

Am I suppose to hear my fan running? It has always been set to run, but I have never heard it, so I'm not sure if it working or not. Thanks for any help.


The only time I hear my fan running is when it is on high. And that is where I have it set. I know it's for high altitude, and I am about as close to sea level as you can get. What harm could it do, right?

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Will Munshower is offline  
post #6584 of 12065 Old 07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
pwiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

The only time I hear my fan running is when it is on high. And that is where I have it set. I know it's for high altitude, and I am about as close to sea level as you can get. What harm could it do, right?

I've had mine set to high also. You get used to it after awhile. Knowing that it is important to keep electronics as cool as possible I figured why not. Speculation is that heat could have contributed to previous years color uniformity issues.
pwiss is offline  
post #6585 of 12065 Old 07-05-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis1957 View Post

Hi Folk

I am one of the "others".....an owner of a 60XBR1 with the dreaded green/yellow/purplish blob. 2-optical blocks later Sony has opted to replace my XBR1 with a refurbished XBR2.

Are you all happy with your XBR2 and has anyone experienced the "blob" syndrome with their XBR2 . I have read pages of your forum and everyone seems happy.

I want to be happy too!

Thanks in advance

you may want to avoid a "refurbished" xbr2 as your replacement. from what i've read a refurbished set is one that probably has had its optical block replaced. there is a pretty high rate of ongoing problems with sets that have optical block issues. usually they require multiple ob replacements before they get it right. sometimes they never get them right.

see if you can get sony to trade your blobbed xbr1 for a new xbr2. much more likely you'll get a problem free set.

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #6586 of 12065 Old 07-06-2007, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DCIFRTHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

... DCIFRTHS: i hear the buzz too, only if its quiet in the house and I'm real close to the set when i turn it on, like bending over in front of it messing with components.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears this buzz Maybe mine is just a bit louder than your's. I think it sounds similar to a noisy transformer.

I don't think this is this is a safety/fire issue... does anyone else?
DCIFRTHS is offline  
post #6587 of 12065 Old 07-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Member
 
RobBeamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So they came and delivered the replacement that I'd picked (their display which had looked best of all the ones I checked). After wowing the delivery guys with my knowledge of the service menu test patterns they took off and got everything hooked back up. Checked the hours on the set and the bulb still has at least half it's life plus they gave me a new one to go with the replacement I have from the first set so come out of the deal almost a full bulb ahead for my troubles.

Redid the 1 pixel red horizontal convergence adjust I'd done at the store (didn't save it so reset when they unplugged for transport) and was pretty sure I could see a difference just in the shaprpness of the menus right away. At that point noticed there was a little geometry issue so did the mechanical trapezoid adjustment listed in the tweaks thread and that fixed it to the point there's no way you'd see it with actual 'content' on the screen and you have to be looking for it with the menus up.

Didn't want to set myself up for dissapointment so tried to keep my expectations in check but there was no need. It looks spectacular ... night and day difference from the last one and the same constant 'wow' I remember experiencing when I first got the xbr1. Was trying out different movies until about 2am as it's been over a year since I've had a properly functioning sxrd in my big system. It's really just jaw dropping. One thing I found myself doing when I got the xbr1 was scanning the screen to look at different parts of the picture and thinking wow.... honestly to the point of distraction ... and that was that was the case again with my 'new' xbr2. Not sure if the blurring issue aparrent in the test grids could be responsible for everything that was wrong with the picture on the other set or if it was a sysmptom or just connected to some greater problem with the optical block but everything was better. Colors are rich and saturated in a way I haven't seen in a long time. Put in Batman Begins last and this is a movie that really rewards on a tv that does blacks well and punishes on one that doesn't. It's been so long since I've had a 'good' sxrd so can't come close to doing an accurate mental a/b from memory but I never, ever remember seeing blacks look this good. The depth, natural gradations and detail in his mask (for example) were just stunning.

Anyway, don't want to go on forever but the short message is ... if you went from a 1 to a 2 and haven't been as excited with the picture that should absolutely not be the case. I think it's reasonable to debate whether there is a problem in Sony quality control when I have a technician I trust tell me I'm better off going to their shop to check out other sets because he can't guarantee me a brand new optical block would have been better than the one in set but .... believe me ... there is nothing wrong with the underlying design of these things.

Thanks again to everyone that helped me out during this process.
RobBeamer is offline  
post #6588 of 12065 Old 07-06-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
strutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Statesville,NC
Posts: 1,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^^
glad you finally found Joy.......... congrats

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

strutter is offline  
post #6589 of 12065 Old 07-07-2007, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DCIFRTHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

^^^
glad you finally found Joy.......... congrats

Yes. I second that. Enjoy!
DCIFRTHS is offline  
post #6590 of 12065 Old 07-07-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AnthemAVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am jealous, as I have two optical egines replaced, and know I have a really dark picture.

Imight call Sony out again, but will use a differnt service company, when is Sony putting out a new 70" set or larger?

Michael
AnthemAVM is offline  
post #6591 of 12065 Old 07-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
kelpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

...when is Sony putting out a new 70" set or larger?

The KDL-70XBR3 70" flat panel LCD is scheduled to be released this summer (MSRP $33k), and the KDS-Z70XBR5 70" SXRD (MSRP $6k) is scheduled to be released this fall. I have heard no credible rumors of anything over 70".
kelpie is offline  
post #6592 of 12065 Old 07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Member
 
barryaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1 View Post

So I've had my 70" for about 3 months now, and my first problem has appeared. I'll be calling Sony in the morning, but wonder if anyone else has had this:

Near the edge on the left side of the screen a bit above the midpoint. a slightly lighter circle about 3" in diameter has appeared. It's only noticeable on very dark scenes, like scrolling credits, but I do see it, and needless to say, it bothers me.

Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by video amateur View Post

I have had the exact same problem after 1 month. Could see a 4 inch sized circle or a hexagon grey/green spot in the screen located mid right portion of the screen, noticed when the picture is black. Tweeter guy knew nothing about it. Sony at first did not admit to the problem but after 2 calls admitted that it is due to dust within the television but did not authorize Tweeter to take the TV apart b/c it would lead to more dust or particles do be trapped within the TV. I had Tweeter replace the TV and have had no problems (6 months). Sony knows about this problem but did not admit to it at first. Maybe with more complaints they will. Last december they had about 10 reports i believe.

I'm in withdrawl. Sony came and picked up the set a week ago (and had to get it out of the through-the-wall mounting with my contractor). Supposedly they've finished cleaning and I should have it back Tue/Wed. I hope so - I miss it and my wife has been a banshee about the big hole in the wall.
barryaz1 is offline  
post #6593 of 12065 Old 07-08-2007, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DCIFRTHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

I am jealous, as I have two optical egines replaced, and know I have a really dark picture.

Imight call Sony out again, but will use a different service company, when is Sony putting out a new 70" set or larger?

Michael

Maybe you can persuade Sony to give you a new set. What service company did they send? My service was through Qual-X or something similar to that (I'll have to double check).
DCIFRTHS is offline  
post #6594 of 12065 Old 07-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
tjenkins95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1 View Post

I'm in withdrawl. Sony came and picked up the set a week ago (and had to get it out of the through-the-wall mounting with my contractor). Supposedly they've finished cleaning and I should have it back Tue/Wed. I hope so - I miss it and my wife has been a banshee about the big hole in the wall.


How did you mount the TV through-the-wall? I always thought about doing something like that but my friends thought I was nuts! They told me to buy a plasma!!!! I've had the 60" XBR2 since last November. Do you have any pics or links to any pics?

Thanks.

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Oppo 103
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
tjenkins95 is offline  
post #6595 of 12065 Old 07-08-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
strutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Statesville,NC
Posts: 1,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^^
click on his name by his post. then on the drop down click "find more post by barryaz1"

look for the posts he made to this thread to find out more about his through the wall TV.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

strutter is offline  
post #6596 of 12065 Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
tjenkins95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

^^^
click on his name by his post. then on the drop down click "find more post by barryaz1"

look for the posts he made to this thread to find out more about his through the wall TV.


Okay - thanks. I found the photos. I remember seeing them a few months ago.
Lately I have been thinking about replacing my Sony 60" XBR2 with one of the new Panasonic 58PZ750U plasma screens. I would like to hang it up on the wall. I haven't read any comparisons between the Sony XBR2 and the new Panny plasmas. Anybody have any experience or comments?

Thanks.

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Oppo 103
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
tjenkins95 is offline  
post #6597 of 12065 Old 07-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Member
 
Whitl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seagrave, Ontario
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just a shot in the dark but is there anyway to make the 60" XBR2 support a PAL signal, my6 DVD player will support both NTSC & PAL, I can't imagine Sony makes different sets for the formats that there would be a way in the set up to change it to PAL.
Whitl is offline  
post #6598 of 12065 Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Mac11700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St.Louis,Missouri
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just thought I would let you guys know UMR was here last Saturday and did his calibration magic on my new XBR2...To say it is the absolute best picture I have ever seen would be an understatement..Jeff got to try out one of his new $24K calibration tools...and made this set perfect. I had used some of the tweaks from that long thread..and it was ok...but...the way he set this one up as compared to my XBR1 is like night & day difference...The HD pictures on this gives true"looking glass" picture quality.....and I really mean that...The pictures are so life like...so sharp and focused....All the colors are exact and perfect...Blacks are true deep black with absolutely no tinting to it...same for the whites...I was a firm believer in his services before...and now after seeing what he did leaves me going "WOW" every time I turn it on...I just don't know how I could have a better display than what I got right now..including any plasma I have seen to-date... I don't know what else to say...but Thank You Jeff...you are the best calibrator out there...

Mac
Mac11700 is offline  
post #6599 of 12065 Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,867
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac11700 View Post

Just thought I would let you guys know UMR was here last Saturday and did his calibration magic on my new XBR2...

I've entered your second UMR calibration report in the list that is linked at the bottom of my post. Enjoy.
htwaits is offline  
post #6600 of 12065 Old 07-10-2007, 11:53 PM
sjv
AVS Special Member
 
sjv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Orleans' North Shore-beautiful St. Tammany Parish LA
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac11700 View Post

Just thought I would let you guys know UMR was here last Saturday and did his calibration magic on my new XBR2...To say it is the absolute best picture I have ever seen would be an understatement..........Mac

Great to hear that. I'm on Jeff's list to do my 70"XBR2 in October when he "tours" through here........Can't wait!
sjv is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off