Forum Jump: 

post #6721 of 12058 Old 08-01-2007, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1 View Post

I don't know, but I'll talk with the Service Manager Wed to schedule the set's return.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to study the set tonight to see if anything is off line. I've been working late this week and haven't spent much time at home. My wife says its ok, but...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 12058 Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 AM

I have a few questions regarding DRC, along the lines of this post.

1. Is 25/100 the optimal setting for 1080i then? Is this for only HD or upconverted feed, or both?

2. How should the 'clarity' aspect of the Palette control, be used in relation to Noise Reduction? As I understand it, 'Clarity' control is bascially used for noise reduction?

3. How should 'Reality' and the Sharpness control be used together?

4. Is there a sure setting for 480i SD in the Palette control?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Foo View Post

I took a longer look tonight at the 1080i deinterlace tests that I had at my disposal, specifically the Vertrez and the Vertrez motion tests. These tests can be found here, including a master file with all the tests that can be used to burn your own HD-DVD test disc.

I also went back and looked at an old post discussing these tests to ascertain what exactly to look for in these two tests and have the following results:

Vertrez (static pattern) deinterlace test:
-------------------------------------------------

What does the test look like?: Test video (static) contains blocks of alternating black and white lines of various thickness (e.g. each block has a set of lines of a given thickness). The area of interest is the topmost block of lines (1 pixel in height). HERE, you can reference a picture of the test screen that I took when I ran it on an A2000 set.

Want: alternating black and white lines in topmost block to be visibly distinct, which indicates that the TV is doing a proper weave deinterlace and preserving the full 1080 lines of resolution.

Results:

Mode 0: All lines visibly distinct.
Mode 1: Block will flicker fast or slow depending on pallette settings. Setting Reality to 25 and Clarity to 100, completely removes the flicker and all lines appear distinct.
Mode 2: Block will flicker fast or slow depending on pallette settings (though not as severe as with mode 1). Setting Reality to 1 and Clarity to 1, completely removes the flicker and all lines appear distinct.

So, in summary it appears that proper weave deinterlace is possible in all modes, depending on how you set the DRC palette. I would assume that the above results can be assumed to be the desired settings (this is where I think I will be leaving them). Another thing to note here that is nice is that it seems that the TV remembers your palette settings for the given mode. Like, if you have different palette settings for mode 1 and 2 (which appears to be very significant) and you switch from 1 to 2 and back to 1, it will remember what you had mode 1 set at. I'll assume that the TV saves settings per mode for each input, though I haven't tested this out yet.

Vertrez Motion test:

What does the test look like?: Same as the static Vertrez test, but also containing a rotating line/blade that rotates clockwise through the image (think airplane propeller)

Want: alternating black and white lines in topmost block to be remain distinct at all times and the line to be a single, solid image as it sweeps through the block. This would indicate a per pixel motion adaptive deinterlace

Results: Block of horizontal lines remain distinct if the aforementioned mode-specific palette setting are used. The picture shows a double image of the blade that are both solid in color, which, from what I read may indicate motion adaptive blending. Note the following regarding the color of the lines and the coloring around the lines, as noted per mode (keep in mind clockwise direction when reading terms such as preceding and trailing to help get a mental picture of what is going on):

Mode 0: Trailing line of the pair changes from white to black over the region sweeping through the topmost group of lines. The leading line remains white. There also appears to be a region of white in between the two lines and preceding the leading line when it sweeps through the topmost block.

Mode 1 and Mode 2: Trailing line of the pair also changes from white to black over the region sweeping through the topmost group of lines. The leading line also remains white. There again appears to be white in between the two lines, BUT there is a black region preceding the leading line when it sweeps through the topmost block.

My use of the term region above really almost appears as a shadow that traces the rotating lines and that which is only significantly present in the topmost 1-pixel width set of lines.

Jay Leno Test:

I also viewed the Tonight Show monologue in HD, per your suggestion earlier as another quick way to try and assess video deinterlacing capability. I didn't notice any changes at all in sharpness or resolution in any of the buildings or set background set as he was moving around on stage. Clear as a bell really.

So, to sum up - this all seems like good news to me, though I can't quite fully interpret what is going on exactly with the motion tests. Perhaps, its some kind of motion-adaptive, region-based deinterlace going on that, after observing the Leno test, may work out just fine.

post #6723 of 12058 Old 08-01-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

vinuneuro , Remember for HD is best to turn DRC off. 480 I & P OK...reality & clarity o & o to start. Where You have sharpness keep it low, Detail enhance & Edge enhance, important for what setting looks best. If You have clear picture Clarity o is OK , raise reality to 25 & up & look for vertical line. on the right side whan you see a second line starting to show up, turn it down to looks like just the line. Each input will be different. Go to the bottom for instructions. http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/V...libration.html
post #6724 of 12058 Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielre View Post

The CC repair guy came back out yesterday and adjusted the vertical position in the service menu. I was pretty lery of him messing with the SM because he was taking direction from some Sony guy on the phone that was giving him instructions based on the XBR1 SM. In the end, the picture was moved up, but I don't know if that was the proper way to fix it. I haven't really studied the set since, but I'm affraid he did it simply to make the missing top line go away and didn't think about other potential concequences.

What type of alignment procedure were they talking about? Was it something physical or adjusting the SM as described?

I spoke with the Service Manager (my set's coming back Thur or Fri) and he confirmed that alignment is a physical procedure. I would think it's probably what was described in post #6715, or similar. Good luck.
post #6725 of 12058 Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
just wanted everyone to know there have been some great XL-5300 bulb deals on e-bay. I've found that if you search XL-5300 you will have more competition. i searched xl5300 had totally different results and was able to get a bulb for $50. just received and confirmed it is brand new, in the box, original Sony OEM bulb.

well i guess now everyone knows the search trick. good luck.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #6726 of 12058 Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 PM

hello all,
I just joined the XBR2 club (KDS-R60XBR2). This is my first HDTV, previously had a panasonic 55 inch projector, and a panasonic 27inch tube digital. Am I going to be happy with this TV? I tried to search but I couldnt find any pictures of this TV in action.

Also I am looking for a decently priced stand, anyone know of any?

Thanks!!!
Eddie
post #6727 of 12058 Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz06 View Post

hello all,
I just joined the XBR2 club (KDS-R60XBR2). This is my first HDTV, previously had a panasonic 55 inch projector, and a panasonic 27inch tube digital. Am I going to be happy with this TV? I tried to search but I couldnt find any pictures of this TV in action.

Also I am looking for a decently priced stand, anyone know of any?

Thanks!!!
Eddie

Congrats on your new HDTV. Chances are you'll be thrilled with your XBR2. You're likely to be even happier if you try some of the advice in the XBR2 settings and tweaks thread and perhaps even use one of the calibration discs (e.g. Avia or Digital Video Essentials). You might even consider a professional calibration of your new displaly for the very best results (see the bottom of any post by htwaits for a link to calibration reports). How happy you are will also depend on your input sources. You might want to review your cable/satellite connection, over-the-air antenna, disc player(s), connection wires, etc. to be sure you're getting the best sources available to display.

The XBR2 stand search thread can be found here. After you read through it you might want to post at the end of that thread to "revive" it to see if there's more current info, since the last post is several months old.

HTH
post #6728 of 12058 Old 08-02-2007, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

??? Are you sure about this? This topic has been discussed extensively in this forum and the answer has always been that it's an issue with the optics and there is absolutely no way to fix the amount of overscan we're talking about within the service menu. I could be remembering wrong, but I thought reputable calibrators like UMR agreed that it wasn't fixable.

Can you point us at the service menu setting that will allow us to fix overscan? And does it work on a single input? In other words, if I fix the overscan on my computer input, will it cause underscan on my other inputs.

OK, this is what I have learned so far by reading hundreds of pages and spending many hours in the service menu of my 60XBR2. There seems to be at least 2 kinds of overscan. The first is physical. There are some pixels being hidden behind the bezel (the frame around the image). Some say 2 to 3%. Unless you rip it off or change the housing there is nothing you can do about it. If that is the overscan you are talking about then, no there is not much you can do about it. However...

The theory which is mine and subject to change as I learn more or others prove me wrong ... All signals that appear on the screen of an XBR2 pass through the scaler. This makes perfect 1:1 pixel mapping extremely hard and nearly impossible to achieve. There, I said it. Now, there is a place in the service menu where you can change the horizontal and vertical scale factor. It is know as HOVERSCN and VOVERSCAN.

WEM SERVICE

000 HOVERSCAN
001 VOVERSCAN

Warning: The SM is a dangerous place. Be careful what you change and please write down original values before changing.

These two parameters are on a per resolution bases. Meaning that when you change them while viewing a 1080i signal, any and all inputs using a 1080i signal will also change. This is valid for all inputs except the VGA input. I can't seem to activate the SM in the VGA input. Maybe someone knows how to do that.

-Tony
post #6729 of 12058 Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^
seems like i remember this being posted long ago in the tweaks thread. there was an issue with it though. you can only increase the overscan not decrease it for some reason. i may be wrong though, its been a long time.

SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #6730 of 12058 Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 PM

Guys, there's gotta be an optimal setting for the DRC Palette. I don't know why they even gave us control of that when they could've set it themselves correctly for each resolution. Is there an optimum?
post #6731 of 12058 Old 08-02-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post

Guys, there's gotta be an optimal setting for the DRC Palette. I don't know why they even gave us control of that when they could've set it themselves correctly for each resolution. Is there an optimum?

No there isn't. Many of us turn DRC off.

Be seeing you!
post #6732 of 12058 Old 08-02-2007, 04:06 PM

One of my friends bought a new Sammy DLP was playing a blu-ray disc on his PS3. Both the DLP and PS3 support the new HDMI v1.3 feature Deep Color Depth, so he turned it on, and claims that he is getting way better colors and overall picture quality. I'm happy for him, but I was disappointed because I was expecting Deep Color Depth to be unimportant.

So, is anyone else concerned about this?

Since our xbr2's are only hdmi v1.2a compliant, I don't think they will support Deep Color Depth, will they?

Assuming the previous answer is no, do you think that component video to the xbr2 would provide any better colors or picture quality than the hdmi?

Thanks,

nv

PS: that custom speaker stand is awesome! Brilliant idea to use an arch like that.
post #6733 of 12058 Old 08-02-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by netvizier View Post

One of my friends bought a new Sammy DLP was playing a blu-ray disc on his PS3. Both the DLP and PS3 support the new HDMI v1.3 feature Deep Color Depth, so he turned it on, and claims that he is getting way better colors and overall picture quality. I'm happy for him, but I was disappointed because I was expecting Deep Color Depth to be unimportant.

So, is anyone else concerned about this?

No, since the improvements touted for HDMI 1.3 have to be implemented at every step of the signal from video mastering through distribution to the TV. Since there are no sources available that implement Deep Color Depth, and that includes the HD sources such as TV, HD DVD and Blu-Ray, there can not be any Deep Color Depth viewed by the consumer.

Be seeing you!
post #6734 of 12058 Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

vinuneuro, optimum DRC, What looks the best is the optimum... On any HD 720 P, 1080 I, 1080 P = Off is best. Your set will remember after You set OFF When You get this input with HD. 480 I & P can come at Your set input at different detail. If You have snow or grainy Picture move clarity to a higher number right from 0. If You want sharper move reality to a higher number Up from 0. If You like noise reduction on, but I don"t , the settings will be different with the same input. If everything came with a perfect standard , We would need no adjustments ? Someone would still want to tweak... I still missing vertical & horizontal Hold ?
post #6735 of 12058 Old 08-03-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post

vinuneuro, optimum DRC, What looks the best is the optimum... On any HD 720 P, 1080 I, 1080 P = Off is best. Your set will remember after You set OFF When You get this input with HD. 480 I & P can come at Your set input at different detail. If You have snow or grainy Picture move clarity to a higher number right from 0. If You want sharper move reality to a higher number Up from 0. If You like noise reduction on, but I don"t , the settings will be different with the same input. If everything came with a perfect standard , We would need no adjustments ? Someone would still want to tweak... I still missing vertical & horizontal Hold ?

To see Deep Color you have to have all of the following:

1) Software recorded/mastered/developed in Deep Color - none of these exist today - none means NONE, zero, nada

2) A Player/Console that supports Deep Color, this has NOTHING to do with HDMI, absolutely NOTHING. There are no players or colsoles that support Deep Color today - that we know of anway.

3) A video display/monitor that supports Deep Color - this ALSO has nothing to do with HDMI 1.3 - NOTHING. The display itself must have video circuitry/processing and a light engine that all support Deep Color. None of these exist today that we know of - except perhaps manufacturer prototypes.

4) Now you get to the HDMI part... the HDMI interface has to be 1.3 or higher to pass Deep Color. People have the misguided idea that HDMI 1.3 somehow makes all the new things happen automatically - it doesn't.

This should make it clear that having HDMI 1.3 right now has NOTHING to do with your ability to view Deep Color because there is no software/movie available to the public that supports Deep Color, no video displays that support Deep Color and no players/consoles that support Deep Color.

There is another issue that may come into play with game consoles though... video color and PC color are NOT the same thing. In the computer video world there are 255 steps for Red, 255 steps for blue, 255 steps for green usually numbered 1-255 (sometimes 0-254, an annoying difference that crops up in PhotoShop and some other places). Consumer/broadcast digital video has 218 steps from 15-234. The computer steps from 1-15 are not used nor are the computer steps from 235 to 255. If you were viewing a computer source in 16-234 mode, you will definitely be missing some video information. Switching to computer mode with all 255 steps working will definitely make the images better.

So your friend either experienced the placebo effect (thought he saw something improve when he didn't) or he misinterpreted what he was doing and changed some other setting that improved his image quality (like the digital video mode). One thing is sure - he is NOT seeing Deep Color.

Consumer digital video uses the range of 16-234 so there are only
post #6736 of 12058 Old 08-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

H maxdb. First, I want to make clear that I'm not really disagreeing with your primary points about Deep Color. I just want to throw in a couple of things for discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

1) Software recorded/mastered/developed in Deep Color - none of these exist today - none means NONE, zero, nada

Yeah, you're probably right that nothing but prototype/exhibition content exists today. But the operative word is today- what about tomorrow? For example, I wouldn't be surprised if some Deep Color capable PS3 games come out in the next few years, but who knows? (And who knows if it will really make a difference?) If a consumer replaces their display every two or three years like many on AVS seem to do (and some on AVS seem to assume everyone does... ) having a Deep Color display now likely won't matter much or at all as you say. But two TV's that we watch often in my home are 30 years old. Some of us buy with an eye for the potential of the future with the long-haul in mind- not just based on what's available "today".

Quote:

2) A Player/Console that supports Deep Color, this has NOTHING to do with HDMI, absolutely NOTHING. There are no players or colsoles that support Deep Color today - that we know of anway.

I don't believe that's quite right. Both the Sony PS3 game console/Blu-ray player and Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player claim to support Deep Color. Of course then we're still left with your very important point #1....

Quote:

3) A video display/monitor that supports Deep Color - this ALSO has nothing to do with HDMI 1.3 - NOTHING. The display itself must have video circuitry/processing and a light engine that all support Deep Color. None of these exist today that we know of - except perhaps manufacturer prototypes.

I haven't followed all of the manufacturers, but I think that there may be Deep Color displays available now, and I know that the KDS-ZxxXBR5 Sony SXRD's slated for this fall-and likely others- are said to be Deep Color capable. You might be right about "today", but "tomorrow" is coming up pretty soon.

Quote:

4) Now you get to the HDMI part... the HDMI interface has to be 1.3 or higher to pass Deep Color. People have the misguided idea that HDMI 1.3 somehow makes all the new things happen automatically - it doesn't.

This should make it clear that having HDMI 1.3 right now has NOTHING to do with your ability to view Deep Color because there is no software/movie available to the public that supports Deep Color, no video displays that support Deep Color and no players/consoles that support Deep Color.

There is another issue that may come into play with game consoles though... video color and PC color are NOT the same thing. In the computer video world there are 255 steps for Red, 255 steps for blue, 255 steps for green usually numbered 1-255 (sometimes 0-254, an annoying difference that crops up in PhotoShop and some other places). Consumer/broadcast digital video has 218 steps from 15-234. The computer steps from 1-15 are not used nor are the computer steps from 235 to 255. If you were viewing a computer source in 16-234 mode, you will definitely be missing some video information. Switching to computer mode with all 255 steps working will definitely make the images better.

So your friend either experienced the placebo effect (thought he saw something improve when he didn't) or he misinterpreted what he was doing and changed some other setting that improved his image quality (like the digital video mode). One thing is sure - he is NOT seeing Deep Color.

Consumer digital video uses the range of 16-234 so there are only

From HDMI_Org who is the HDMI rep who posts in the HDMI Q&A forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI_Org View Post

Deep color: At CES, we had a side by side demonstration of two identical LCD TVs being run with 8bit and 10bit color depth content generated from a PS3. The difference was obvious enough that all the visitors who saw the demo were able to see the differences without needed us to point out where to look and what to look for. I haven't personally seen a 10 vs 12-bit side by side demo, but I have seem 10-bit content where I could still see some subtle banding, which leads me to think that the human eye can probably see the difference between 10 and 12-bit. In my discussions with video processing experts, they do claim that they can take 8-bit video content and apply a gamma extraction to smooth out the banding and deliver a pseudo 10-bit video experience. It appears a number of HD-DVD and BluRay player makers are betting that this will indeed yield a better experience, even though the content is natively encoded at 8-bit.

Maybe marketing hype, maybe not- I dunno. I'm not ready to completely dismiss netvizier's friend's claims until more of us see what's coming out in the next few months. I sure don't think that Deep Color will (ever?) make so much difference that any XBR2 owner should have buyer's remorse (and apologies to the XBR2 owners for the off-topic post), but Deep Color capablillity might yield some improvement- perhaps soon if not today.
post #6737 of 12058 Old 08-03-2007, 02:35 PM

Guys, the service tech came out today for a warranty call. There was a Fan Error that seemed to have occurred 17 times. It's probably the reason the tv wouldn't turn a few months ago. Also, the lag in the menu that happens after the tv has been on for a while is probably caused by this. The main fan has been ordered.

The buzzing sound is apparently normal. It's some part that gets the lamp going.

He said that overscan [i]can[i] be reduced, but he said he only touches that if the optical block is replaced.
post #6738 of 12058 Old 08-04-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

Maybe marketing hype, maybe not- I dunno. I'm not ready to completely dismiss netvizier's friend's claims until more of us see what's coming out in the next few months. I sure don't think that Deep Color will (ever?) make so much difference that any XBR2 owner should have buyer's remorse (and apologies to the XBR2 owners for the off-topic post), but Deep Color capablillity might yield some improvement- perhaps soon if not today.

Your post proded me to go back and read the HDMI orgs definitions around Deep Color again and it turns out I was lumping 2 things together and thinking they were Deep Color which is not the case.... Deep Color is nothing but the HDMI Org's name for increasing bit depth from the 1.1/1.2 limit of 8 bits to 10, 12, or 16 bit color. That's ALL Deep Color is.

Will this make a difference all by itself? Maybe in the PS3 user's world with 10-bit PS3 software and a display that has 10-bit (or higher) video processing capability.

But to really see all the advantages of Deep Color, the software, player and display are all going to have to support x.v.Color aka xvYCC. This is the name given to the larger color space that is enabled by using more bits. So the bottom line is:

- HDMI 1.3 doesn't automatically mean you will get Deep Color. The software, player, and display all have to have high-bit video signal paths. The PS-3 probably does 10-bits... not sure if it can do more than that if the software has more. If the whole playback chain has high-bit video including the software (movie or game) then you would see some differences, but probably not much more than banding being eliminated in fades.

- To see the benefits of Deep Color, your playback chain (software, player, and video display) has to support high-bit color, and your video display has to support x.v.Color/xvYCC.

So is the PS3 gamer seeing Deep Color... maybe, if everything is right.

Is the PS3 gamer seeing Deep Color and x.v.Color? Probably not since these products aren't released yet... as far as I know.

Thanks for the post that pushed me to get this clarified in my head so I don't misquote the features.

That said, the HDMI Org should never have called support for high-bit color "Deep Color" - that's going to mislead a TON of people. That x.v.Color thing is what should have been called "Deep Color" and support for 10, 12, and 16 bit color should have been called something else. Hi-Bit Color or something.

So in practical terms... all most of us are going to see from "Deep Color" is that finally, if they use 12 bits or more, there shouldn't be any color contouring. As we migrate to newer video displays that will display the expanded x.v.Color/xvYCC, THEN we should be able to see more significant improvements from the expanded color space - we'll get more colors AND still not have problems with countouring in fades.
post #6739 of 12058 Old 08-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But to really see all the advantages of Deep Color, the software, player and display are all going to have to support x.v.Color aka xvYCC. This is the name given to the larger color space that is enabled by using more bits.

- To see the benefits of Deep Color, your playback chain (software, player, and video display) has to support high-bit color, and your video display has to support x.v.Color/xvYCC.

Again, close, but I think not quite right. While I suppose that "Deep Color" and the xvYCC color space could be used together (and perhaps you would then see "all" the benefits of Deep Color as you say?), Deep Color can also be used (and will likely be used first) with the current RGB color space- with all of its benefits available within the limits of that color space. Deep Color could be used on a display that does not support the xvYCC color space.

As you say, Deep Color allows 10, 12, or 16 bit processing (or 30, 36 or 48 bit processing depending on which convention you use) of colors within the color space (as opposed to the current 8 bit processing) allowing for finer gradations of colors- between shades of blue in a sky for example. The xvYCC is an entirely new color space- separate from the current RGB color space- that allows for more colors than RGB can possibly display. A subtle difference, but a difference.

Again leaning on an HDMI_Org post in the HDMI Q&A forum for explanation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI_Org View Post

Think of Deep color as giving more precision, resulting on smoother, blended colors (gets rid of contouring artifacts). xvYCC is more physical colors, allowing for a pixel to be defined as any color that the human eye can potentially see (whereas today's color gamut is a significant subset of human eye capabilities). I've seen demo's of both, and they are both quite significant. Deep color gets rid of the contouring artifacts (such as when there is a bright lamp or sun in the video that normally has obvious concentric rings around it). xvYCC allows a TV to show new colors that you were not able to physically see on a TV before.

Good video processing can give a "virtual deep color" experience by applying a good up-dithering algorithm to standard 8bit color content. I've seen a demo, and it does look pretty good. The good news is that even though all the current movie content (broadcast, HD-DVD, Blu-ray) are all encoded at 8-bit color, you can get a better, smoother video with good up-dithering onto a true 10-bit display. Of course, there is the PS3 game content that is natively deep color, and I expect PCs will eventually support HDMI 1.3 deep color to be able to view digital still camera content (most digital SLR sensors capture and record the image at 12-bit or higher).

HTH,

kelpie
post #6740 of 12058 Old 08-04-2007, 03:46 PM

Hello All,
I am having a hard time finding a stand I like that doesnt cost $800+, I would rather not spend so much on a stand and spend more on speakers. So I am thinking of building my own stand. I am having a hard time finding measurements:

1. Height from the bottom of the base to the middle of the screen. So if it were on a surface what is the distance from the surface to the middle of the screen.

2. Dimensions of the base, looking for the width and depth. I have gone through some of this post but its a VERy long post.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Eddie
post #6741 of 12058 Old 08-04-2007, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
I'm not at home so i cant measure, even if i was I'm pretty sure we would need to know if you are talking about the 70" or 60" in order to help with center of screen measurement.
if i were you I'd start the search here:
the official xbr2 stand search thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=710738
i know there are measurements posted there.

post #6742 of 12058 Old 08-04-2007, 07:37 PM
4MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post

Guys, the service tech came out today for a warranty call. There was a Fan Error that seemed to have occurred 17 times. It's probably the reason the tv wouldn't turn a few months ago. Also, the lag in the menu that happens after the tv has been on for a while is probably caused by this. The main fan has been ordered.

The buzzing sound is apparently normal. It's some part that gets the lamp going.

I am having the same problem. The TV will flash on then the red lights start to blink. I tried replacing the bulb but had the same issues. It seems as though the fan tries to power up then dies. I purchased the set during OCT 06 but didn't use it until a three months ago. I had the problem intermittently and would go away after restarting a few times. This time I have had no such luck. There is no service center close by, closest one is 3hrs away from me.

I just realized the red light blinks four times.
post #6743 of 12058 Old 08-04-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, I've had the same fan failure with four red blinking lights. I endured two service visits and three fan replacements. Tapping the TV on the back typically temporarily would fix the problem. We never figured out if the problem was a bad connection or a sticky fan. But the TV has been fine for at least four months.

Good luck.
post #6744 of 12058 Old 08-05-2007, 04:23 PM

Hey folks, I have a really really weird problem. Last thursday I hooked up my PS3. Things work great, awesome picture, etc. we leave for the weekend. leave the air conditioning on, nothing out of the ordinary.

I put in a movie, and we're watching it, I adjust color, fix my weird 'wide mode' phenomenon (which eventually was caused by a setting in the PS3) and I proceed to watching TV. my wife wants to watch cable, so she turns off my receiver (nice onkyo) then she went into the menu and chose the appropriate input for our cable box. Then she realizes that she can't access the TVGOS, we can't change channels, I can't even access the setup menu. now here's where things get really weird.

I turned the set off for about 15 minutes, then we turned it back on, and after it's initially on, we can access the channels (the channel up/down buttons on the TV and remote work) we can enter channels manually. The TVGOS doesn't work now at all... and after about 5 minutes, none of the functions on this thing respond other than the volume, power and split screen. neither the buttone on the remote perform a function, nor do the buttons on the side of the TV. oh, I forgot to add that the tv/video input does work and when using the split screen, it's not possible to change channels on either side of the screen.

any ideas why?
post #6745 of 12058 Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM

bump
post #6746 of 12058 Old 08-06-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I would unplug everything 5-10 min. Turn all on again, see what You got. You if don't have UPS may of got a quick power dip...
post #6747 of 12058 Old 08-06-2007, 07:47 AM

as of this morning, the only thing that I can duplicate is after re-learning all the channels, digital and 'analog' everything seems ok, but when I hit the Guide button on the remote, that locks up my ability to change channels, adjust settings, etc. if i leave it alone, I can make adjustments and change channels... just my TVGOS is jacked up. does this help ?

thanks
mike
post #6748 of 12058 Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrokewl24 View Post

as of this morning, the only thing that I can duplicate is after re-learning all the channels, digital and 'analog' everything seems ok, but when I hit the Guide button on the remote, that locks up my ability to change channels, adjust settings, etc. if i leave it alone, I can make adjustments and change channels... just my TVGOS is jacked up. does this help ?

thanks
mike

I believe Sony has a procedure to reset the TVGOS. I would call them on how to do this.

W. Jeff Meier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6749 of 12058 Old 08-07-2007, 04:29 AM

I will do that this afternoon. the unplugging idea didn't help. thanks for the replies.

mike
post #6750 of 12058 Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrokewl24 View Post

I will do that this afternoon. the unplugging idea didn't help. thanks for the replies.

mike

Please let us know what Sony has you do to reset it.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page