Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 226 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6751 of 12055 Old 08-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, a different tech came out today. Lot of work was done.

-Turns out the fan wasn't the problem. The lamp lens had discoloration and the filament looked frayed, so he replaced that.

-The lamp driver was pretty noisy upon start-up so that was replaced.

-There's been a lot of log in the menu's and tv-guide since the beginning. The tech talked to someone at Sony headquarters. Per Sony reco, an interface board behind the cable card reader was also changed. Problem solved.

-A couple times, there were yellow splotches all over the screen. The area around the optical block was dusty. He vacuumed and wiped the end of the optical block with optical cloth.

I'm going to extend the warranty, lol.

The picture is much brighter now. I'm guessing I'll have to redo the Picture (white) calibration right? Everything else should be fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 12055 Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MM View Post

I am having the same problem. The TV will flash on then the red lights start to blink. I tried replacing the bulb but had the same issues. It seems as though the fan tries to power up then dies. I purchased the set during OCT 06 but didn't use it until a three months ago. I had the problem intermittently and would go away after restarting a few times. This time I have had no such luck. There is no service center close by, closest one is 3hrs away from me.

I just realized the red light blinks four times.

I discussed this problem with HappyFunBoater via private messaging and basically, you need to replace the fans. As he mentioned, tapping or taking the back panel off MAY alleviate the problem temporarily. I believe there are 4 fans that can be replaced. Since the closest service center is quite a ways away, I would recommend you ask them to replace all 4 fans. My problems took 3 visits and about 3 months to rectify since they only replaced a fan or two at a time. If you don't have it already, the extended warranty might pay for itself just for this problem.
post #6753 of 12055 Old 08-09-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvg45 View Post

Please let us know what Sony has you do to reset it.

OK folks. Sony has fixed my problem. They delivered my new XBR2 this afternoon.

Just kidding LOL

they gave me a reset procedure for the TV. I tried to use the 'return to shipping condition' procedure in the service manual and it didn't work by the way.

Sony's procedure was very easy. This procedure will restore all factory settings back to default without messing around in the Service menu.

1. point the remote control at the TV (assuming your set and remote work)
2. Press AND HOLD DOWN the "UP ARROW" button on the remote.
3. Whilw holding down the up arrow, walk up to the set and push power. This will cause the set to turn itself off AND BACK ON all by itself and when it does, it'll prompt you with the initial setup screen. (which mine did)

as a side note, they told me that in the event this didn't work, to reset the remote control. their procedure for this (which I thought was absolutely ridiculous) was to remove the batteries, and push each button twice. made no sense to me, and I didn't try it since my remote works fine.

hope this is more useless information that no one else will need, but gladly i'll share since i've sponged up this site myself.

Enjoy and thanks for the info that i've soaked up.
finally glad I had something of substance to offer.

mike
post #6754 of 12055 Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrokewl24 View Post

they gave me a reset procedure for the TV. I tried to use the 'return to shipping condition' procedure in the service manual and it didn't work by the way.

Sony's procedure was very easy. This procedure will restore all factory settings back to default without messing around in the Service menu.

3. Whilw holding down the up arrow, walk up to the set and push power. This will cause the set to turn itself off AND BACK ON all by itself and when it does, it'll prompt you with the initial setup screen. (which mine did)

as a side note, they told me that in the event this didn't work, to reset the remote control. their procedure for this (which I thought was absolutely ridiculous) was to remove the batteries, and push each button twice. made no sense to me, and I didn't try it since my remote works fine.

hope this is more useless information that no one else will need, but gladly i'll share since i've sponged up this site myself.

mike

Thanks for the follow up. I'm sure this will eventually help another member should they have a similar problem.

Its great how this site works isnt it?
post #6755 of 12055 Old 08-10-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:

............as a side note, they told me that in the event this didn't work, to reset the remote control. their procedure for this (which I thought was absolutely ridiculous) was to remove the batteries, and push each button twice. .......mike

This is a standard procedure for resetting just about any remote. Holding the buttons down (or push each buttom twice) for a short while will disapate the stored energy in the capacitor that is retaining the memory.
post #6756 of 12055 Old 08-10-2007, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... they gave me a reset procedure for the TV. I tried to use the 'return to shipping condition' procedure in the service manual and it didn't work by the way.

mike

When I first read your post, I thought you had found a way to return all of the options in the service menu back to their factory settings. Now I see it is the TV Guide that you have reset.

Just to clarify, the procedure you listed will only reset the TV Guide settings. Correct?
post #6757 of 12055 Old 08-10-2007, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post

Alright, a different tech came out today. Lot of work was done.

-The lamp driver was pretty noisy upon start-up so that was replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post

The buzzing sound is apparently normal. It's some part that gets the lamp going.

As I have a buzz, and bad luck with my tech, I was hoping that you could pinpoint where the buzz was coming from. The side where the door to the lamp is? Behind the set? How far away could the buzz be heard? Etc, etc.

Additionally, did the buzz continue the entire time the lamp was lit?

I would appreciate any information you could provide, as I want to be as informed as possible when I deal with Sony again. Glad to hear your problems are resolved.

Thanks!
post #6758 of 12055 Old 08-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

When I first read your post, I thought you had found a way to return all of the options in the service menu back to their factory settings. Now I see it is the TV Guide that you have reset.

Just to clarify, the procedure you listed will only reset the TV Guide settings. Correct?

as far as I can tell, it returned my TV back to 'shipping condition'... ALL of my settings (user settings) had to be re-done. (still need to be re-done) I can check this evening to see if it will reset all service menu stuff too... I'll follow up on this one probably later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

mike
post #6759 of 12055 Old 08-10-2007, 09:33 PM

Okay, here goes. My xbr1 had a big green blob, of course we all know this was a problem with them. I've loved my xbr2 so far. We have Movie night every 2 weeks or so since getting the Hdxa2. We were watching shooter and there's a scene where almost the entire screen is white, snow I think, and one of my guests said what is that green halo looking thing. That's when I noticed i. I tried on other inputs and it's there. Around each side of the tv is like a green halo (circle) around the right, to top to left to bottom. Pretty and clear in center and on the outside of the halo. Any ideas?
post #6760 of 12055 Old 08-10-2007, 09:36 PM

Anyone else got the Toshiba hdxa2 hd dvd player to this display. would love to hear some of your guy's settings.
post #6761 of 12055 Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlogle View Post

Anyone else got the Toshiba hdxa2 hd dvd player to this display. would love to hear some of your guy's settings.

Can you post a picture of the anomaly?
post #6762 of 12055 Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as far as I can tell, it returned my TV back to 'shipping condition'... ALL of my settings (user settings) had to be re-done. (still need to be re-done) I can check this evening to see if it will reset all service menu stuff too... I'll follow up on this one probably later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

mike

Looking forward to the answer. Thanks!
post #6763 of 12055 Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

So with the KDS-Z70XBR5 coming out in October, I want to sell get ready to sell my set and buy the new one, what do you think the market is for a used XBR2?

Michael
post #6764 of 12055 Old 08-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 80
depends on how old yours is...new ones are about 4g now, so a 1 year old might be worth 2500 or so..also, it depends on how much the new one starts out at..
post #6765 of 12055 Old 08-11-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlogle View Post

Okay, here goes. My xbr1 had a big green blob, of course we all know this was a problem with them. I've loved my xbr2 so far. We have Movie night every 2 weeks or so since getting the Hdxa2. We were watching shooter and there's a scene where almost the entire screen is white, snow I think, and one of my guests said what is that green halo looking thing. That's when I noticed i. I tried on other inputs and it's there. Around each side of the tv is like a green halo (circle) around the right, to top to left to bottom. Pretty and clear in center and on the outside of the halo. Any ideas?

don't worry its not the green blob
post #6766 of 12055 Old 08-11-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

depends on how old yours is...new ones are about 4g now, so a 1 year old might be worth 2500 or so..also, it depends on how much the new one starts out at..

Actually, I am finding new ones for roughly 3k now, so used I would be thinking 1500-2k.
post #6767 of 12055 Old 08-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 View Post

Actually, I am finding new ones for roughly 3k now, so used I would be thinking 1500-2k.

Where at? Online, or in a "real" store?
post #6768 of 12055 Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where at? Online, or in a "real" store?

Check out sonystyle....remember, I said roughly. I have seen 32 flat in local retail stores, and Crutchfield is in the hunt right now too.
post #6769 of 12055 Old 08-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

don't worry its not the green blob

Actually, my XBR2 has a mild and, to me, completely tollerable "green blob" that appears to be stable. It is only visible when watching black and white movies which I rarely do. It is clearly visible with B&W material but not at all under any other conditions. It is nothing like I had with my XBR1 and I am not about to try to get a new OB or TV.

I would say, however, that I do have a "green blob" with my XBR2. Mine is not a halo, but is a central round area that takes up about a quarter of the screen.

Roy
post #6770 of 12055 Old 08-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by royrose View Post

Actually, my XBR2 has a mild and, to me, completely tollerable "green blob" that appears to be stable. It is only visible when watching black and white movies which I rarely do. It is clearly visible with B&W material but not at all under any other conditions. It is nothing like I had with my XBR1 and I am not about to try to get a new OB or TV.

I would say, however, that I do have a "green blob" with my XBR2. Mine is not a halo, but is a central round area that takes up about a quarter of the screen.

Roy

Do you have pictures of your tollerable 'green blob"?
post #6771 of 12055 Old 08-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Looking forward to the answer. Thanks!

Does anyone have a setting that I can change in the service menu that i'll be able to find again EASILY to be able to tell if this procedure resets the service menu as well? thanks

mike
post #6772 of 12055 Old 08-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 View Post

Check out sonystyle....remember, I said roughly. I have seen 32 flat in local retail stores, and Crutchfield is in the hunt right now too.

Dude, both sonystyle AND Crutchfield showed pirces over 4 grand, so not sure where the 3200 dollar figure is coming from..
post #6773 of 12055 Old 08-12-2007, 02:58 PM

Just hooked my new home theater system (Sony XBR2 70" + Sony Playstation 3 + Denon AVR-987 processor/amp). Everything's terrific (LOVE the Sony 70"), but I have two questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

- I cannot get the Sony TV to respond to the Denon remote control no matter which of the five Sony pre-set codes I input to the Denon remote (as listed in the back of the Denon manual). I really just need to be able to turn the TV on and off with the Denon remote, but I can't even get it to do that. Anyone else have this problem?

- I hooked up my VCR (although I very rarely use it) to the VCR 1 input on the back of the Denon (which is the control system for my set-up). The picture from the VCR on the Sony looks like it has a grid overlay of large dots all over it. Tried a new cable and that didn't help. Any guesses as to what's causing this?

Thanks for any help.

--Jim
post #6774 of 12055 Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by royrose View Post

Roy

I have it as well and found a way to minimize (almost totally eliminate) it. Turn the power saving off, put the iris to max and leave it on a black or very dark scene for a few minutes. My theory is that when the panels (and/or color filters)warm up they get more homogeneous in displaying gray.

-Tony
post #6775 of 12055 Old 08-13-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus33 View Post

Just hooked my new home theater system (Sony XBR2 70" + Sony Playstation 3 + Denon AVR-987 processor/amp). Everything's terrific (LOVE the Sony 70"), but I have two questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

- I cannot get the Sony TV to respond to the Denon remote control no matter which of the five Sony pre-set codes I input to the Denon remote (as listed in the back of the Denon manual). I really just need to be able to turn the TV on and off with the Denon remote, but I can't even get it to do that. Anyone else have this problem?

- I hooked up my VCR (although I very rarely use it) to the VCR 1 input on the back of the Denon (which is the control system for my set-up). The picture from the VCR on the Sony looks like it has a grid overlay of large dots all over it. Tried a new cable and that didn't help. Any guesses as to what's causing this?

Thanks for any help.

--Jim

More than likely, the Denon remote doesn't have the newest Sony remote codes for these XBR2 displays. If you have a "learning mode" on the Denon remote, you can teach the Denon remote the Sony codes, one key at a time. If the Denon remote does not have a learning mode, you will have to buy a Universal Remote with learning mode then set that remote up with both the Denon codes and the Sony codes so you can do everything from 1 remote. Or you can keep using 2 remotes. Your choice. Don't skimp too much on the universal learning remote though... they can go "out of date" to the point they may not be able to learn codes for newer equipment you may buy later. I'd probably consider $100 about the minimum I'd spend on a learning remote, though the $200-$300 ones have some nice user interface features that might make the remote usable by a spouse in your absence.
post #6776 of 12055 Old 08-15-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Dude, both sonystyle AND Crutchfield showed pirces over 4 grand, so not sure where the 3200 dollar figure is coming from..

Sears is selling the XBR2 for $2799.
post #6777 of 12055 Old 08-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

thats the 60 inch; how much is the 70 incher?
post #6778 of 12055 Old 08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Although I own a A2000 SXRD I wanted to share the follow up of UMR's audio calibration which was postponed due to several deficiencies in my HT audio system. Since UMR has calibrated a number of XBR-2 SXRDs some of you XBR-2 owners might be interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...c#post11318389
post #6779 of 12055 Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:

As I have a buzz, and bad luck with my tech, I was hoping that you could pinpoint where the buzz was coming from. The side where the door to the lamp is? Behind the set? How far away could the buzz be heard? Etc, etc.

Additionally, did the buzz continue the entire time the lamp was lit?

I would appreciate any information you could provide, as I want to be as informed as possible when I deal with Sony again. Glad to hear your problems are resolved.

Thanks!

Sorry for the late response. The buzz was and is still there. It is from the are around the lamp. However, the tech (who seemed pretty experienced) said it was the lamp driver, which at the back of the set. Might just be the way the sound travels through the fan hole. I can hear the sound from 12-15ft away. It's pretty quiet, but high-pitched, and can be heard for just a few seconds right before the picture appears. He said that it is perfectly normal to hear that, and that they usually suspect something wrong when it isn't there.

Good luck!
post #6780 of 12055 Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdee3 View Post

Sears is selling the XBR2 for $2799.

same price i paid for my 60" in november of last year. (one day sale)

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page