Forum Jump: 

post #7021 of 12058 Old 10-29-2007, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD AV View Post

You are right, it will accept NTSC and ATSC input, I never said it didn't. I stated it only accepts 1080p 60fps in the context of the posters asking about input from a 1080p 24 and 30 output source. In these cases it MUST be 1080p 60fps or you will not get video! Argue with that.

According to Ultimate AV, these sets do in fact accept 1080p/24fps signals, but they then convert them to 1080p/60fps internally for display.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/rearpro...07sonyr70xbr2/

12th paragraph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 12058 Old 10-30-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

Here is your answer, ecruet

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=730418

You just sent me a link to the entire thread....
post #7023 of 12058 Old 10-30-2007, 06:32 AM

Well, if indeed, that is the case, someone forgot to tell the 60" because it does not. It will not accept 1080p 24 or 30 fps input from an external source. The manual also makes no mention of what fps it will accept from an external 1080p source and the manual is for both the 60" and 70". I can only go by personal experience and what I was told by Sony and LG. I also doubt the reviewer tested this capability as there is no further mention of it in the review
[see CNet's review:Connectivity Paragraph: " Around back you'll find two more HDMI inputs, and all three have the ability to accept 1080p sources (they'll accept the more common 1080p/60fps sources, but not 1080p/24fps)"].
http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-t...8.html?tag=txt
Due to this contention, I have visited and asked the largest, and most respected, professional Home Theater dealer/installer in this area and they say no also. I guess we should ask UMR. I'm positive he will know for sure. Jeff, are you out there? If I am wrong, I will appologize to all.
post #7024 of 12058 Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecruet View Post

You just sent me a link to the entire thread....

sorry about that..
there is a setting in the Guide properties that asks you if you should have the guide come on by default...I am not at home so I cant tell you exactly where it is, but if you look in there, and set that to off, then your tv should turn on to the last used input when you kick it on, and NOT the guide..
post #7025 of 12058 Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

sorry about that..
there is a setting in the Guide properties that asks you if you should have the guide come on by default...I am not at home so I cant tell you exactly where it is, but if you look in there, and set that to off, then your tv should turn on to the last used input when you kick it on, and NOT the guide..

I'll check this out when I get home- I had been playing with their tv guide system out of boredom and I must have done something there... Thanks much for your help!

Emmett
post #7026 of 12058 Old 10-30-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you bothered to read what I posted in context, I plainly stated the XBR2 would only accept 1080p 60. That's a fact verified twice by Sony Technical Support. I was not speaking of cable, OTA, or any device other than a HD/BR player that outputs 1080p. Try and get the original LG combo player, which outputs 1080p 30fps to sync with the XBR2 @ 1080p. It will not. Even LG confirmed this. I had to return the player due to the 1080p output being an incompatible signal for the XBR2, Unsupported format. 1080i worked just fine. You can spout all the specs you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the player would not work @ 1080p 30fps with my XBR2, it HAS to be 1080p 60fps. Your remark concerning only displaying output from a 1080p HD source is laughable considering the questions I was answering with my statements were addressing only 1080p input. Like I said read and think, understand what is being answered and discussed before argueing. You are right, it will accept NTSC and ATSC input, I never said it didn't. I stated it only accepts 1080p 60fps in the context of the posters asking about input from a 1080p 24 and 30 output source. In these cases it MUST be 1080p 60fps or you will not get video! Argue with that.

This board is not thread-friendly and there is no easy way to get back to your original post without sorting through the whole thing looking for your original post. The little arrow links to the previous post disappear.

You kept using the statement "the XBR2 only accepts 1080p/60" which reads like you were saying it won't accept anything else. People reading it the way I read it would be mislead. All I was doing was clarifying. It wasn't an arguement since there wasn't anything to argue about. Facts are facts.
post #7027 of 12058 Old 10-30-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Gabbo View Post

According to Ultimate AV, these sets do in fact accept 1080p/24fps signals, but they then convert them to 1080p/60fps internally for display.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/rearpro...07sonyr70xbr2/

12th paragraph.

Ultimate AV is WRONG. You've never read something incorrect in a magazine before?

You send 24p to an XBR2 and you get "invalid input" or "invalid input signal"... something like that. Doesn't matter what a magazine says. Sony says the XBR2s won't accept 24p also
post #7028 of 12058 Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, if indeed, that is the case, someone forgot to tell the 60" because it does not. It will not accept 1080p 24 or 30 fps input from an external source. The manual also makes no mention of what fps it will accept from an external 1080p source and the manual is for both the 60" and 70". I can only go by personal experience and what I was told by Sony and LG. I also doubt the reviewer tested this capability as there is no further mention of it in the review
[see CNet's review:Connectivity Paragraph: " Around back you'll find two more HDMI inputs, and all three have the ability to accept 1080p sources (they'll accept the more common 1080p/60fps sources, but not 1080p/24fps)"].
http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-t...8.html?tag=txt
Due to this contention, I have visited and asked the largest, and most respected, professional Home Theater dealer/installer in this area and they say no also. I guess we should ask UMR. I'm positive he will know for sure. Jeff, are you out there? If I am wrong, I will appologize to all.

Look, you're still missing your grammar issue... you said, and I responded to "it only accepts 1080p/60"-- that reads like it will not accept anything else. It WILL accept 480i, 4080p, 720p, and 1080i AND 1080p/60. Your statement appeared to exclude all those other resolutions that the XBR2s accept just fine - it was a grammar thing all along. Period. Get over it. My WHOLE POINT, the entire time, has been that the XBR2s accept many more resolutions than 1080p/60. That's a fact, not an arguement.
post #7029 of 12058 Old 10-31-2007, 06:29 AM

I wasn't a grammar issue. If you read the post (6996)immediately above asking about input for a 1080p source device, my response was only answering that question and relating to that device only. I have explained this (7020)and I'm finished. Someone always wants to criticize or have the last word. Well, trying to be helpful and then having to explain a misinterpretation repeatedly seems fruitless so I give up. I'll leave it to others to who appear to know much more than I.
post #7030 of 12058 Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 AM

Hi all! I'm new to this thread but I've been doing a lot of reading about Sony sets. My 65" Hewlett Packard microdisplay is on the blink so I'm looking for a good replacement. Having had 65" for awhile, it would be hard to go smaller in size. Here are my top 3 options at this point:

1. Wait for Sony's 70" XBR5 (big question as to when/if it will see the light of day)
2. Look for a 70" XBR2 (new if I could find but used or demo otherwise)
3. Non-Sony e.g. Mitsu's 73" Diamond Series (which I can get for $3500 new from Tweeter)

I don't think that the XBR5 is very viable because I don't want to be without a TV for several months. Regarding an XBR2, I found a demo at Best Buy (Magnolia) but it has been on their floor and powered up during business hours for about 10 months (>3000 hours). They've offered it at $3500 but I think I can get them down to $3200 or so.

- Does anyone know where I can get a new 70" XBR2?
- How much was the street price when they were still readily available?
- Would you be spooked by a demo with >3000 hours? (any thoughts regarding reliability and/or life of these sets would be appreciated)

Many thanks for any and all information.

Best Regards,
James
post #7031 of 12058 Old 11-01-2007, 02:34 PM

I think the XBR5 looks great but there are numerous questions surrounding its release so waiting for it could be a tricky game.
I love my 70XBR2 and if it were me I would shop around and see if I could find a new one out there somewhere. I would imagine that there is a store somewhere that still has one sitting around. I like the XBR2 much better than the Mitsu. but that is more for the individual to decide for themselves. I gave $5000 for my 70" and I never really saw them go much lower than that.
I'm not crazy about buying floor models but if you could get them down to a price you were happy with and maybe convince them to throw something in it could be worth it. I would see if they could get you an extra lamp on top of the extra that comes with it since it already has 3000 hrs. on it. I would also make sure to get a warranty on any floor model that I bought.
post #7032 of 12058 Old 11-02-2007, 06:52 AM

I'd grab the floor model if they include the stand and replace the existing bulb. (New bulb, might as well say new set.) Highly doubtful you will find a new 70"XBR2 as there have been many others that have tried unsuccessfully. You are extremely fortunate to find this floor model. The Sony warranty should start with your purchase date so you're good to go there. Unless you just have to have the slim line XBR5, I'd grab that puppy. Of course, that's just my opinion. I don't ever buy anything off the floor, but considering the circumstances, I'd get it in a heartbeat, especially at that price!
post #7033 of 12058 Old 11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in VA View Post

Hi all! I'm new to this thread but I've been doing a lot of reading about Sony sets. My 65" Hewlett Packard microdisplay is on the blink so I'm looking for a good replacement. Having had 65" for awhile, it would be hard to go smaller in size. Here are my top 3 options at this point:

1. Wait for Sony's 70" XBR5 (big question as to when/if it will see the light of day)
2. Look for a 70" XBR2 (new if I could find but used or demo otherwise)
3. Non-Sony e.g. Mitsu's 73" Diamond Series (which I can get for $3500 new from Tweeter)

I don't think that the XBR5 is very viable because I don't want to be without a TV for several months. Regarding an XBR2, I found a demo at Best Buy (Magnolia) but it has been on their floor and powered up during business hours for about 10 months (>3000 hours). They've offered it at $3500 but I think I can get them down to $3200 or so.

- Does anyone know where I can get a new 70" XBR2?
- How much was the street price when they were still readily available?
- Would you be spooked by a demo with >3000 hours? (any thoughts regarding reliability and/or life of these sets would be appreciated)

Many thanks for any and all information.

Best Regards,
James

At 3000 hours, the lamp is probably getting to the point where you'll be replacing it before long. XBR2 sets come with 2 lamps... a spare is in the box. If you get the demo unit, they should be able to provide the original spare lamp, saving you $300 (cost of replacement lamps).

Due to the hours on the set, you might want to purchase an extended warranty... sonystyle.com has them for a reasonable price - not sure I'd trust the "unknown" provider that Magnolia might offer.

If Magnolia can't come up with the spare lamp that shipped with the XBR2, that should get you at least $300 more off the price. The fact that the original lamp is just about used up... that's another $300 hit.

If I remember right. $3500 is about 1/2 the original MSRP so it might be tough getting it for less, but it's absolutely worth a try. I think prices on the 70 got down to $4250 or so towards the end of the line so there might be room to get them to go below $3500 (plus additional deductions for 1 used up lamp and possibly 1 missing lamp if you can swing those).

Any replacement model is going to be better... no doubt about that. But perhaps not ENOUGH better to justify the additional cost.

And there's a lot of info in this thread about getting the most out of the XBR2 images... that's a plus also.
post #7034 of 12058 Old 11-03-2007, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What is the default "as shipped" power saving mode set at? That's what it is calibrated at and I want to make sure it has not been changed.
Thanks,

BJBBJB
post #7035 of 12058 Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post

What is the default "as shipped" power saving mode set at? That's what it is calibrated at and I want to make sure it has not been changed.
Thanks,

BJBBJB

All I have seen come with power set to normal, not power saving. I'm a little unclear as to your meaning of "calibrated at" is. I wouldn't call the factory settings calibration in the sense that term is used on this forum. Go to the owner's settings thread for more information on settings and calibration. I think you'll find that of considerable help.
post #7036 of 12058 Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:

I'm a little unclear as to your meaning of "calibrated at" is.

HDAV,
I mean I had the set ISF calibrated months ago with the power settings at whatever they were at as shipped because I never messed with it. So I just want to make sure it is still set at that. Obviously all other settings are as calibrated and written down, not factory at all.

By normal I assume you mean "off" ?
I believe the choices are Off, On, and Auto. I do not think there is a "change to default" for that page.

Thanks,
BJBBJB
post #7037 of 12058 Old 11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post

HDAV,
I mean I had the set ISF calibrated months ago with the power settings at whatever they were at as shipped because I never messed with it. So I just want to make sure it is still set at that. Obviously all other settings are as calibrated and written down, not factory at all.

By normal I assume you mean "off" ?
I believe the choices are Off, On, and Auto. I do not think there is a "change to default" for that page.

Thanks,
BJBBJB

Have you asked your ISF? It probably comes down to their preference. Mine was calibrated with power save on.
post #7038 of 12058 Old 11-05-2007, 02:54 PM

You are right. Off is how shipped. As the post above states, asking your ISF is the best bet. Mine was also calibrated with power save on. Most are calibrated that way as off is too bright (although the ISF can change that) and auto would not work for proper calibration. If you have your original settings and the ISF settings, that should tell you at what it was calibrated (off or on).
post #7039 of 12058 Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my replacement 70XBR2 today, and it is much brighter than the unit that it replaced. I have UMR coming over on Thursday to dial the unit in.

Way to go Sony!
post #7040 of 12058 Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin44 View Post

I'm not crazy about buying floor models but if you could get them down to a price you were happy with and maybe convince them to throw something in it could be worth it. I would see if they could get you an extra lamp on top of the extra that comes with it since it already has 3000 hrs. on it. I would also make sure to get a warranty on any floor model that I bought.

I just got a floor model from BB/Magnolia yesterday. The sales guy told me the XBR's came with a spare bulb, but he couldn't find it, so he knocked another $300 off. (I ordered a new bulb this morning for $249). As a general rule, I don't do protection plans, but I did on this as it was a floor model and and large purchase.

I can't wait to get it set up this evening.

I did find one place that claimed to have the 70 in stock, but having never heard of them, I thought it was better to go through a brick and mortar.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #7041 of 12058 Old 11-07-2007, 10:53 AM

Jeff came to Arizona on Monday on one of his only occasional Southwestern trips and I sprung for the full setup with him.

I'm still checking out the picture and noticing all the improvements, but the sound improvement (especially with the subwoofer integration) is nothing but astounding.

And he is such the ultimate professional. It was such a pleasure being with him for the 5 hours!

Too bad I can't point all this out to my wife - I hid the whole visit from her. Oh, well, she probably would say that she doesn't notice anything different anyway.
post #7042 of 12058 Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1 View Post

Jeff came to Arizona on Monday on one of his only occasional Southwestern trips and I sprung for the full setup with him.

Thanks for the report. I've included it in the RPTV owner's list that is linked at the bottom of my post.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7043 of 12058 Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

I got my replacement 70XBR2 today, and it is much brighter than the unit that it replaced. I have UMR coming over on Thursday to dial the unit in.

Way to go Sony!

How are you going to get 100-200 hours on the set before the calibrator gets there so you get into the stable operating range for the lamp?
post #7044 of 12058 Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 AM

HERDFAN,

Do you mind sharing how much your floor model 70" went for at your local Magnolia? The one near me has two of them (floor models). One was a return that was damaged in shipment (the right Dumbo-ear speaker is snapped clean off!). The other is better cosmetically but it has 3000+ hours! They'll let the latter go for $3500 and the broken speaker one go for $3300. The 4-year warranty would be another $500.

Thanks in advance for sharing since it seems like we're in a similar situation!

Best,
James
post #7045 of 12058 Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

How are you going to get 100-200 hours on the set before the calibrator gets there so you get into the stable operating range for the lamp?

Sony claims that they put 100 hours on the set, to make sure this TV was perfect for me, pays to make enough noise.

I have left it on since I got it.

Michael
post #7046 of 12058 Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 AM

Have a problem with my 60"xbr2. I just started to get red pixelation through the HDMI 1080p connections. Switched to the component connections and it is fine. Going through a PS3...not sure if it's the TV or the PS3. Any help would be appreciated. See pics below... Thanks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jgonzo33...86498082378290

http://picasaweb.google.com/jgonzo33...86502377345602

http://picasaweb.google.com/jgonzo33...86609751528018
post #7047 of 12058 Old 11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
^^
try a different HDMI cable

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #7048 of 12058 Old 11-10-2007, 10:30 AM

Hi all! Thanks to those who provided advice about my possible purchase of a floor-model 70" XBR2 from Magnolia. They wouldn't budge on the price of $3499 for the one with 3000+ hours. Then, however, I found a reputable dealer who had a new one in stock that they'd let go for $4000 + 275 S&H with no tax. Seems like the better deal, no?

That said, if I was to get an extended warranty, I would be going through Sony Style where I believe that the 4-year goes for around $350. Seems fair enough but I was wondering if it was even necessary. So the question is have any of you needed to get work done under warranty and do you recommend getting the extended warranty in the first place? I'm not so interested in peace of mind just for the sake of it. I'm more interested in knowing if these units have a track record which makes getting the warranty a good financial decision.

Thanks!
James
post #7049 of 12058 Old 11-10-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

^^
try a different HDMI cable

Just tried another HDMI cable with no luck. What do you think...PS3 issue or TV issue?? I tried all HDMI connections on the tv and still get severe pixelation with 1080p...picture is great with 1080i. Like I said, this is a new problem. Anyone? Thanks in advance!
post #7050 of 12058 Old 11-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

Ultimate AV is WRONG. You've never read something incorrect in a magazine before?

You send 24p to an XBR2 and you get "invalid input" or "invalid input signal"... something like that. Doesn't matter what a magazine says. Sony says the XBR2s won't accept 24p also

It's a Toshiba HD A 30 if my xbr2 doesn't accept 24 fps should I have bought a cheaper player ?What exactly is the significance of that or how should I connect it?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page