Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 12055 Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to get an extended warranty after your initial warranty has passed? Do I contact Sony or a different warranty company? My XBR2 is working flawlessly but seems like having the extended warranty might be useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 12055 Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucsafi View Post

I have a KS-60R200A which is pretty same as the 60XBR2 in US. When I connect analog audio in HDMI input, no sound comes from the TV speaker. I put the same source to analog input 1, 2, 3..., sound is OK.

So my Analog audio input for HDMI port is malfunction? Please help me.

Is it just me, or did this post cause anyone else to scratch their head? I could easily be mistaken, but I was under the impression that HDMI was a digital connection and did not support analog input.

Phucsafi, often problems similar to yours are a simple matter of getting the connections and settings right. Perhaps if you tell us exactly what devices you are connecting by which outputs to which inputs using what kind of cables, someone might be able to help.

Outside of a dog, a good display is man's best friend. Inside of a dog there's nowhere to plug it in.
post #8103 of 12055 Old 09-09-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnodgrass View Post

Is it possible to get an extended warranty after your initial warranty has passed? Do I contact Sony or a different warranty company? My XBR2 is working flawlessly but seems like having the extended warranty might be useful.

The few extended warranties that I'm aware of require purchase of the warranty within a set time period from the purchased date of the product or the expiration of the manufacturer's warranty. You might want to look through the Extended Warranty Thread and call around to Sony or one of the other extended warranty companies to see if you qualify.

Outside of a dog, a good display is man's best friend. Inside of a dog there's nowhere to plug it in.
post #8104 of 12055 Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani View Post

Is it just me, or did this post cause anyone else to scratch their head? I could easily be mistaken, but I was under the impression that HDMI was a digital connection and did not support analog input.

Phucsafi, often problems similar to yours are a simple matter of getting the connections and settings right. Perhaps if you tell us exactly what devices you are connecting by which outputs to which inputs using what kind of cables, someone might be able to help.

I really wanted to reply because this person is a new poster, had asked the question twice and definitely seemed to need help. But I admit I didn't understand the question either.

I wonder if they're referring to the extra red/white input for one of the HDMI ports which is intended to be used when the other end of the cable is a soundless DVI port?
post #8105 of 12055 Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

I really wanted to reply because this person is a new poster, had asked the question twice and definitely seemed to need help. But I admit I didn't understand the question either.

I wonder if they're referring to the extra red/white input for one of the HDMI ports which is intended to be used when the other end of the cable is a soundless DVI port?

I thought the same thing, or wondered if perhaps they were trying to "pass through" audio to the display through a device that wasn't set to pass audio through via HDMI? I know that my A/V receiver can be set to pass or not pass audio through to the display, for example. It could possibly be a number of problems other than malfunction of the HDMI input(s), could it not? More information would likely help solve the problem.

post #8106 of 12055 Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phucsafi View Post

I have a KS-60R200A which is pretty same as the 60XBR2 in US. When I connect analog audio in HDMI input, no sound comes from the TV speaker. I put the same source to analog input 1, 2, 3..., sound is OK.

So my Analog audio input for HDMI port is malfunction? Please help me.

phucsafi - you are encountering a common problem on many Sony Models.

When using the DVI in models (circa 1993) such as the old 34XBR910 tube the audio was only available through the analog inputs as there was no audio with DVI.

Once the HDMI standards were put in place with Sony sets such as the old 34XBR960 tube set, the analog inputs were still there, but for some reason with MANY COMPONENTS the Sony sets almost always thinks there is digital audio on the HDMI connection and thus defaults to this, instead of the analog inputs for audio. Sony never had a switch that let you select manually the analog audio but "senses" the digital audio automatically. If no digital audio, it switches and activated the analog audio inputs.

I had the problem on a MyHD Card which had only a DVI output so I could pass the analog sound into the 34XBR960 as the speakers would mute - the Sony thought there was digital audio there - even though DVI carries no audio.

I tried for 2 years to troubleshoot it, trying every kind of work around anyone could come up with. At one point I thought that perhaps DVI>DVI connector cables with a DVI>HDMI adapter on the end would solve it. No go. The best idea of the problem was given me by some techs at Gefen who suggested that trash is somehow getting into the digital path that the Sony is interpretting as digital audio and thus muting the analog input.

Bottom line - I could connect analog audio to the Input and it would work from an older DVI output Scientific Atlanta STB for example, but once I plugged in the DVI connection from the MyHD or other components, the analog audio quit working.

As your TV is out of the similar time frame, the problem probably was never fixed (I have never tested it with the XBR2 as I went away from the MyHD Card, but sounds like something to do when I am bored).

I really suspect its never been fixed. There is something coming out of certain devices that the Sony THINKS is digital audio, so it defaults to the digital input and mutes the analog audio input - some type of digital trash isn't a bad assumption.

If you find a solution, congrats. I couldn't in years of trying.
post #8107 of 12055 Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The analog inputs next to the HDMI inputs are for DVI sources. HDMI carries audio in digital form (DVI does not, its viseo only) so if you are using HDMI then the analog inputs are ignored. Trust me, I ran into the same thing with the XBR1 and A2020.
post #8108 of 12055 Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

The analog inputs next to the HDMI inputs are for DVI sources. HDMI carries audio in digital form (DVI does not, its viseo only) so if you are using HDMI then the analog inputs are ignored. Trust me, I ran into the same thing with the XBR1 and A2020.

As stated, many DVI sources (such as the commonly used MyHD 120/130 Series Card with DVI Daughterboard) will NOT work for the reasons stated originally. As the MyHD and other devices DO NOT HAVE A HDMI OUTPUT, to say that it is for DVI only is incorrect.

If the Sony senses digital audio (whether real or not - as in the case of the DVI outputs I noted - or HDMI outputs without digital audio) the Sony will not allow the analog audio inputs to be used.

DVI is a subset of HDMI. It can be analog or digital - and quite simply, that might just be the difference that I thought of after 4 years of this - if DVI/HDMI signal is analog, it passes the analog audio inputs - if the info is digital, regardless of audio present or not, it shuts down the audio inputs.

Amazing how something hits you 4+ years after the fact.
post #8109 of 12055 Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 AM

Having a small issue here, wondering if it's normal. When there are intricate graphics like those before/after commercials during SportsCenter, the image breaks up a little. Not macro-pixelation, but enough to see that the image isn't cohesive. Do any of you have this problem? Seems like it happens when parts of the image are moving really fast, with a lot of small moving parts.
post #8110 of 12055 Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post

Having a small issue here, wondering if it's normal. When there are intricate graphics like those before/after commercials during SportsCenter, the image breaks up a little. Not macro-pixelation, but enough to see that the image isn't cohesive. Do any of you have this problem? Seems like it happens when parts of the image are moving really fast, with a lot of small moving parts.

That's just a compression artifact. You can see that on any TV that's big enough. One of the more common methods used in compression algorithms is to store only changes between two consecutive pictures. So if you have quick moving and intricate graphics you'll see a lot of breakup. This used to be particularly noticable on channels like The Cartoon Network. They would really crank up the compression because there was so little change from picture to picture. And then, pow! The road runner would blow something up and the screen would become a big mess of crazy colored blocks. Sometimes a channel will be compressed at a variable rate and it seems to take a few frames to catch up when the picture goes from fairly static to very dynamic.
post #8111 of 12055 Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:

That's just a compression artifact. You can see that on any TV that's big enough. One of the more common methods used in compression algorithms is to store only changes between two consecutive pictures. So if you have quick moving and intricate graphics you'll see a lot of breakup. This used to be particularly noticable on channels like The Cartoon Network. They would really crank up the compression because there was so little change from picture to picture. And then, pow! The road runner would blow something up and the screen would become a big mess of crazy colored blocks. Sometimes a channel will be compressed at a variable rate and it seems to take a few frames to catch up when the picture goes from fairly static to very dynamic.

Thanks for the thorough explanation.
post #8112 of 12055 Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They would really crank up the compression because there was so little change from picture to picture. And then, pow! The road runner would blow something up and the screen would become a big mess of crazy colored blocks.

Dude that is soooo wrong!!
The Roadrunner doesn't blow stuff up... Wile E. Coyote does!

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #8113 of 12055 Old 09-11-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

Dude that is soooo wrong!!
The Roadrunner doesn't blow stuff up... Wile E. Coyote does!

Duh! Something seemed wrong when I typed those words, but I couldn't figure it out. I was concentrating on whether there was a space between "road" and "runner".
post #8114 of 12055 Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 PM

Anyone know if it's possible to extend the 2yr extended warranty to 5yr? When we bought the 2yr ext. warranty, we didn't realize there would be an uprise of OB failures in the XBR2's. Now it's looking like a good idea to have it another 3yrs.
post #8115 of 12055 Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone started a poll to see how many XBR2 owners are having blob/staining issues? I did a few searches and did not find one. Reading through the last 10 or so pages of this thread has gotten me nervous.

I've had my 60" for 16 months and I have about 3600 hours on it. I did not get the extended warranty. I've never purchased one for anything, now I think I may regret it.

So far, the picture is flawless, as it has been since I purchased it. I really love this set and I hope nothing happens to it. I'm definitely not in a financial position to buy something else.

I should have paid for the extended warranty...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #8116 of 12055 Old 09-16-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Has anyone started a poll to see how many XBR2 owners are having blob/staining issues? I did a few searches and did not find one. Reading through the last 10 or so pages of this thread has gotten me nervous.

I've had my 60" for 16 months and I have about 3600 hours on it. I did not get the extended warranty. I've never purchased one for anything, now I think I may regret it.

So far, the picture is flawless, as it has been since I purchased it. I really love this set and I hope nothing happens to it. I'm definitely not in a financial position to buy something else.

I should have paid for the extended warranty...Will

There hasn't been a poll, but we did capture everyone's name who has seen blobbing or staining. I think we were up to about seven people. A poll would be interesting. You should create one. I haven't created an AVS poll, but I believe there's an option to record and display the usernames of everyone that voted. Make sure you turn that on so we can see who says "yes".
post #8117 of 12055 Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Great idea, Happyfunboater. I created the poll. Hopefully, it contains the questions that we need to get a handle on this. All XBR2 owners, please vote in this poll. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for your help, everyone...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #8118 of 12055 Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great idea, Happyfunboater. I created the poll. Hopefully, it contains the questions that we need to get a handle on this. All XBR2 owners, please vote in this poll. Inquiring minds want to know.

Where is the poll?
post #8119 of 12055 Old 09-16-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

Where is the poll?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1067120

Be seeing you!
post #8120 of 12055 Old 09-16-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenGhoti View Post

Okay, so the guy came today. Turns out he was just coming to see if the OB was the problem and didn't have one with him (sigh). ...

Apparently it'll be another 7-10 days for the OB to come in.

He returned today and replaced the OB. Took maybe 45 minutes. He hadn't done an XBR2 before, but did tons of XBR1s and seemed to do fine on his first XBR2.

It looks awesome. Gray is gray. Sky is blue. Blonde hair is is not chlorine-stained.

Convergence is maybe half a pixel off in the middle, but I can't see it from where I sit, so I don't care. I didn't look to see if it was a refurb OB... I don't want to know. I'll go on pretending it's new, and maybe I'm right.

Next time I won't wait so long...
post #8121 of 12055 Old 09-16-2008, 05:41 PM

Glad it went well for you, AikenGhoti.

post #8122 of 12055 Old 09-17-2008, 02:36 AM

Quote:

Convergence is maybe half a pixel off in the middle, but I can't see it from where I sit, so I don't care.

Actually, I went into the SM and tweaked red one pixel left, and it turned out quite well, even in the corners. Must have been a whole pixel. Lesson for the day: Don't give up so easily. (Second lesson for the day: Aiken is too OCD to leave it alone.)

Speaking of geometry, the tech today managed to get the projection squarer than my original tweaking managed. It's still got the slight vertical keystone these all seem to have, but it's better than it was, and there's no horizontal keystone this time. It looked like he actually diddled with the screws that hold the OB in place, not just the ones on the black adjustment plates inside the front panel. Not something I'd want to mess with, but I'm glad he did it.

Man, I'm still just tickled pink with the results. I really let it go too long... I was so used to the green cast that it's just jarring how properly blue the TiVo guide is now. It's like wearing color-tinted sunglasses for too long... take them off and suddenly you're all like, oh riiight, that's what that color really looks like.
post #8123 of 12055 Old 09-17-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the only problem with creating a poll is that it will attract the trolls like flys on sh**.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #8124 of 12055 Old 09-17-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Man, I'm still just tickled pink with the results. I really let it go too long... I was so used to the green cast that it's just jarring how properly blue the TiVo guide is now. It's like wearing color-tinted sunglasses for too long... take them off and suddenly you're all like, oh riiight, that's what that color really looks like.

totally amazing aint it.......i agree i will never wait as long as i did again. first hint of tint and i'm calling.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #8125 of 12055 Old 09-20-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Question: I had a XBR1, Sony replaced it no questioned asked because of a green hue issue. I Have had a XBR2 now for over 2 years still covered under full warr. my picture is starting to flicker now on and off not much but to the point it is annoying. Some thing tells me this is most likely a bulb ready to go, and it should be as this set gets used all the time. Any suggestions welcome on what it might or could be.... Thanks! The picture has been stunning on this set...
post #8126 of 12055 Old 09-20-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Question: I had a XBR1, Sony replaced it no questioned asked because of a green hue issue. I Have had a XBR2 now for over 2 years still covered under full warr. my picture is starting to flicker now on and off not much but to the point it is annoying. Some thing tells me this is most likely a bulb ready to go, and it should be as this set gets used all the time. Any suggestions welcome on what it might or could be.... Thanks! The picture has been stunning on this set...

fwiw, i had bulb flicker as well. Power Savings eliminated it by turning it off for a while.

Since I have had my OB replaced, I have not seen the flicker any longer - so I am wondering if this is not really the bulb, but if this is actually an early sign of OB failure - otherwise, it makes no sense why I have not seen the problem in 3 weeks now.
post #8127 of 12055 Old 09-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Hi guys, just wanted to stop by and post that I'm now seeing the right-side green stain issue on my almost 2 year old XBR2. I'm glad I checked the warranty because I thought I was screwed (the OB is a $1400 part!) Will be calling them first thing tomorrow.
post #8128 of 12055 Old 09-26-2008, 07:29 AM
fcb
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
The message telling me to replace my bulb has come on. I wonder how this is determined, is it just some sort of timer or can the XBR2 actually test the state of the bulb?

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #8129 of 12055 Old 09-26-2008, 07:40 AM

I bought a KDSR50XBR1 about 2.5 years ago, which was changed (thanks to some of you guys!!!) to a KDSR60XBR2 more than a year ago.

I like the set, even if sometimes dark scenes are hard to see (maybe I didn't calibrate it properly) and sometimes it looks weird when in motion, but overall it's a great TV.

Now, I'm shopping for a friend, and I've checked many TVs that looked awesome and were far less cheaper.

My question is, is the KDSR60XBR2 still considered one of the best picture on the market or has it been beaten by most current TVs (those bravias, aquos, samsung, everything with a 120hz + higher contrast ratio)?

Just curious!
post #8130 of 12055 Old 09-26-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

The message telling me to replace my bulb has come on. I wonder how this is determined, is it just some sort of timer or can the XBR2 actually test the state of the bulb?

It's just a timer. The value is pre-set in the service menu. Mine was set to display the message after 6000 hours.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page