post #9541 of 12058 Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjameso View Post

UPDATE:

Sony came out and replaced the video processing board and still have the issue. Looks like next time they are coming with a QAM and new OB. Lets see what happens this time around.

Any thoughts on the Panasonic TC 65 v10?

Update 2

They only came with a new OB and low and behold it did not fix the issue. So now I have a bum set with only acceptable color on one imput HDMI 8! Repair tech said I would be getting a call from customer service in 48 hours. Any idea what they will say? What would be a fair cash out number from Sony?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 12058 Old 10-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Hey yall Im new to this forum and got on here cause of the yellowing problem on my XBR2. Ive been doing my searching before i post anything and im pretty educated on the problem. The only queston is im about to make my first call to sony cause i replaced my bulb and tv is still yellow so it the ob by what i gather. will try to offer me a buy out or should i do the replacement.And people who bought from circuit city and got the andvantage protection plan how to you get intouch with them. Ive called all the numbers they gave me.
post #9543 of 12058 Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjameso View Post

Update 2

They only came with a new OB and low and behold it did not fix the issue. So now I have a bum set with only acceptable color on one imput HDMI 8! Repair tech said I would be getting a call from customer service in 48 hours. Any idea what they will say? What would be a fair cash out number from Sony?

Update 3

So Sony calls tonight with the 'offer' a KDL52-W5100 for 300 + Tax or a KDL 52 XBR9 for 638 + Tax. I told them not good enought, why when I purchase a top of the line 70" XBR2 would I downsize to a 52" screen. Sony said to call them back tomorrow.

What have you guys been offered and settle at?? Help please!
post #9544 of 12058 Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 AM

Liked: 14
Sony Greece told me that the must put the tv into the computer to show them the problem. Thats why they must take it to their offices. Cant they check the problem in my home?
post #9545 of 12058 Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

Sony Greece told me that the must put the tv into the computer to show them the problem. Thats why they must take it to their offices. Cant they check the problem in my home?

If your issue is the optical block/light engine its easily diagnosed just from the eppearance of the yellowish stain. This is only too common in our sets.

I sure as hell wouldn't allow my set to leave my home and would be dead set against it. I would look for another service provider and preferably a platinum service provider.
post #9546 of 12058 Old 10-13-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The big issue would be what the warranty expressly states. In the U.S., the warranty states "In-home diagnostic warranty service is provided during the one (1) year labor limited warranty term (ninety (90) days for commercial use) for thirty (30) inch (measured diagonally) or larger screen size products through a Sony-authorized service facility." In Greece, ymmv. Check your warranty.

Be seeing you!
post #9547 of 12058 Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post

I didn't discuss a replacement set as I don't want any of the current sets Sony offers. Mine is being covered under the extended warranty I bought through Sony Style as it's good until January 17th 2010. The contract states under the buyout clause that claims are deducted from the buyout offer. So if I had the OB replaced and it went bad again the buyout option would be pointless for me at that point as the two repairs or claims as they call them would up me to a 95% loss of purchase price. If I didn't have the extended warranty it would be replaced under Sony's extension of the OB until June 2010 but the buyout wouldn't even have been an option. I hope that clears things up somewhat.

wow, that is not acceptable. especially since they voluntarily extended the warranty on the obs through 2010 even if you did not buy an extended warranty.

i would argue that your replacement ob claim was under sony's voluntary ob warranty and not the one you bought so they cannot deduct that claim from any buyout.

the class action lawsuit resolution must insure that this provision is included.
why should an ob replacement claim be assessed against an extended warranty we paid for when sony is willing to replace obs for everyone else through 2010 for free?

neflixis our nemesis
post #9548 of 12058 Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 PM

Got The OB replaced on my 60" XBR2 this morning under the Sony extended warranty. Took the repair guy about 1.5 hrs to complete. He stated that he has done several of these and has yet to have to replace an OB for a second time on the same TV. The picture looks very close to how it did before the green/yellow blob appeared !! This is my first OB rpeplacement - Be interesting to see how long it lasts !!! Also, I have an Sony extended warranty that goes through Oct. of 2012 in case I need another OB replacement. (If the Mayans are correct, the world should end about then anyways !!!
post #9549 of 12058 Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 PM

We're moving and our new place won't accommodate the 60 (I bought a Panasonic TC-P54V10 as a replacement and hung it on the wall); I bought the 60" XBR2 in October of 2006 for about $4000 and haven't had any problems. Hate to let it go, but I have no choice...
Replaced the bulb a few months ago as soon as the warning came up. I have an extra bulb as well.... oh, and an extended warranty through October 2011...
I have no idea what this may be worth now....should I "Craigslist"/"Ebay" it? and if so, for how much?

I also have the BDI Cielo stand (http://www.audio-video-furniture.com...9-TV-Stand.htm)... that I paid about $900 for...

Thanks!
toby

P.S. I'm in SW Ohio...
post #9550 of 12058 Old 10-16-2009, 12:45 AM

Can i extend my warranty? It expires on 11th November 2010...

Can Sony Greece do that?
post #9551 of 12058 Old 10-16-2009, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi All,

Sorry to hear all the problems being reported on these sets.

I bought a 70" XBR2 in late 2005 from BB, and I haven't had any issues. I'm still on my first bulb, and I wonder whether setting my brightness level on the set to about 50 is giving my set more life than what some of you are reporting. Do you all have any recommendations/suggestions as to how one might avoid issues?

By the way, for those of you that have been asking about HDMI connectivity, I've got a Mac Mini hooked up to it via a DVI-HDMI cable and it looks great. I did, however, need to use a special program to make the computer use the full screen, otherwise the computer display would float in the center of the screen (very annoying).

Also...

What is the class action lawsuit web site? Should I register even though I don't currently have any issues? Do you think the lawsuit web site sells/gives your contact information (name, address, email address, etc.) away to third parties?

Thank you!
post #9552 of 12058 Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Is there a place on the web that we can buy the OB from? I am just thinking when my extend warranty runs out can we buy this part to install?
post #9553 of 12058 Old 10-17-2009, 03:46 AM

I have no experience with this place, but there's some post here on tristatemodule in evansville, IN for rebuilt OB's.
post #9554 of 12058 Old 10-17-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Can i extend my warranty? It expires on 11th November 2010...

Can Sony Greece do that?

Hi polakis. Sorry to hear about the troubles that you are having. You will find that most of the members on this forum are from North America, and have little knowledge or experience with Sony Greece. You're the only person from Greece that I have seen post.

As previously mentioned, the Sony warranty in the US specifies in-home service, but it might be different in Greece. Have you looked at your warranty? There should be no need to take your display into the shop for diagnosis or repair since the optical block (OB) replacement can easily be done by just moving the set away from the wall. (See my OB replacement experience by clicking here.) In the US Sony uses "authorized repair centers" for repairs that are independent contractors and not Sony employees to do repairs. When board members in the US have had difficulties with one authorized repair center, they sometimes have had the option of calling a different repair company. You might want to look into that possibility by contacting Sony.

As far as extending your warranty is concerned, in the US there is a time limit for buying an extended warranty after purchase of the set (I think it was something like 30-90 days, but I'm not sure). It might be similar in Greece. The best way for you to find out would be to contact Sony.

Sometimes when you contact customer service you can get a representative that isn't very knowledgeable about your problem, so if you don't get the answer that you like you can sometimes call back and talk to someone different or ask that your request be escalated to a supervisor. You should be able to get contact information for Sony Greece by clicking here. If Sony Greece can't help you, try contacting SonyStyle Europe. Their website is here. Contacting Sony directly with your questions will probably get you better results than asking us.

Hope this helps.

Outside of a dog, a good display is man's best friend. Inside of a dog there's nowhere to plug it in.
post #9555 of 12058 Old 10-18-2009, 05:15 PM

Got my OB replaced and the picture is beautiful once again, but there is a problem. I don't know if I just noticed it, or if it happened during the repair, but my picture is off center vertically. When watching a Blu or HD-DVD there is about a 1" difference in the size of the black bars on the top and bottom, making the picture lower than center. I noticed in the menu that there is a "Vertical Center" option, but it's greyed out. Is there anything that I can do to get my picture centered? Please help.
post #9556 of 12058 Old 10-18-2009, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This happened to me on my XBR1 when my OB was replaced and I found a vertical adjustment in the sevice menu and was able to correct it.
post #9557 of 12058 Old 10-19-2009, 02:30 AM

Why Sony cant fix this OB problem by creating a NEW version of OB, in order to satisfy all the SXRD owners? Is it so difficult?

And how can i enter in the service menu in my 70'' SXRD KDS R2000 model?
post #9558 of 12058 Old 10-19-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:

Why Sony cant fix this OB problem by creating a NEW version of OB, in order to satisfy all the SXRD owners? Is it so difficult?

And how can i enter in the service menu in my 70'' SXRD KDS R2000 model?

Evidently it is so difficult, and no longer worth the expense of research and development to fix. Sony has put out multiple versions of the SXRD RPTV's and though the problem improved (say over the XBR1's), it persists.

To enter the service menu on the XBR2's (the R2000 is likely the same):

With the power OFF, on the remote press

[DISPLAY] > [5] > [VOL+] > [POWER]

Press each button in turn.

Enter the service menu at your own risk!

The above information was found in this thread by using ths "search" feature on the forum. Further information on the service menu can be found the same way.

Hope this helps.

Outside of a dog, a good display is man's best friend. Inside of a dog there's nowhere to plug it in.
post #9559 of 12058 Old 10-20-2009, 11:56 PM

50 hours of use?

WTF?
post #9560 of 12058 Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb220 View Post

Thats how if feel. It starts immediatly. The fix would be to use a more expensive glass filter but who am I to tell R&D of Sony how to improve these sets.

No offense, but I am not sure you know what you are talking about...and I don't mean this to be nasty; just a fact.

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #9561 of 12058 Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I have learned to rebuild these optical blocks and it seems the more they try to improve, the worse the make them as far as reliabilty is concerned. The 2003 WE610 is better built than an SXRD but the SXRD and XBR have a better picture. The optical blocks in the newer sets have stronger filters but fewer of them so they burn almost as soon as 50 hours of use where at least the 2003- 2005 sets would start after 2000-4000 hours. Thanks, John

no offense, but this doesn't really add up to me. you can rebuild an ob but it only lasts for 50 hours???

neflixis our nemesis
post #9562 of 12058 Old 10-22-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

No offense taken even though it seems im being jumped on. Let me clarify. The Sony and the Sony replacement that was supposed to be improved starts to burn in 50 hours of use. Not that it is shot but the burn that you are not going to notice for the next year actuly starts within the first 50 hours of use. I have an optical block that I rebuilt running now for over 500 hours of use and still no evidence of burn. Im not sure where you connected the one I rebuilt was burning but I hope I made that clear.

Thanks for clearing that up for us...

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #9563 of 12058 Old 10-22-2009, 04:12 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

No offense taken even though it seems im being jumped on. Let me clarify. The Sony and the Sony replacement that was supposed to be improved starts to burn in 50 hours of use. Not that it is shot but the burn that you are not going to notice for the next year actuly starts within the first 50 hours of use. I have an optical block that I rebuilt running now for over 500 hours of use and still no evidence of burn. Im not sure where you connected the ones that I rebuilt was burning but I hope I made that clear.
Audiomixer. You say your not sure I know what im talking about but you say fact without presenting any proof. I can present proof. Seems somewhat of a nasty thing even if you claim its not. The 40 plus Sony tvs that I have repaired are my proof. Im not sure you know what your talking about and not sure I care but how many of these tvs have you repaired? How many tvs have you repaired ever? I have repaired at a minimum one per day over the last 25 years.

You can make optical blocks that last? Can I get one?

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #9564 of 12058 Old 10-22-2009, 04:41 PM

I am looking for these sets to repair. If anyone is getting rid of their Grand Wega, XBR or SXRD, please consider offering it to me before you dump it. I have had tons of luck rebuilding optical blocks, repairing them and really enjoy working on them. I am in Connecticut and can travel for pickup. Thanks, John
post #9565 of 12058 Old 10-22-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

You can make optical blocks that last? Can I get one?

Me to!!
post #9566 of 12058 Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am looking for these sets to repair. If anyone is getting rid of their Grand Wega, XBR or SXRD, please consider offering it to me before you dump it. I have had tons of luck rebuilding optical blocks, repairing them and really enjoy working on them. I am in Connecticut and can travel for pickup. Thanks, John

If you can cook, I'd marry you!

Be seeing you!
post #9567 of 12058 Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you could cook, I'd marry you!

Be seeing you!
post #9568 of 12058 Old 10-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

If you could cook, I'd marry you!

Depends on which state you live

Is it LIVE or is it on a Sony XBR 65X950B
post #9569 of 12058 Old 10-23-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:

So on the optical block you rebuilt that has 500 hours on it with no burn did you rebuild it using a more expensive glass filter?
post #9570 of 12058 Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 AM

The Smart UPS 750 is a great unit, as long as your load won't go over it's capacity it should be able to provide ample protection.

tony
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page