Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 392 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11731 of 12058 Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Member
 
unixguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post

If you have a Fry's near you, I believe the 65HX929 is available there today for $1,998 which I believe is less than Sony's so-called accommodation price for their defective SXRD's.

However, I have chosen to bring my business elsewhere. Sony screwed me twice on SXRD's. They even told me that the cause of the optical block failures were fixed in the XBR2 chassis. Well, I think we all know that isn't true. So Sony, thanks for nothing. A so-called premium TV chassis that lasts less than 5 years? Well, I'm willing to take a chance with another manufacturer as reports are surfacing daily about common problems with Sony's current LCD/LED models as well. Many more than from Sharp, Samsung and Panasonic. Sony has lost their edge. Recently they announced an eye-popping financial loss, and blamed it on the consumer line of products. Not surprising given they are still commanding a premium price for much less-than-premium quality. Why pay more if you can get the same crap quality from other manufacturers for a lot less? OK, I know it's a rant, but hey, I am not the only one...

Highly unlikely price even for the 46". On their web site they have a KDL46HX800 for that price but not available for shipping. It's an obsolete model. For current models it looks like they are more expensive than store.sony.com.

I got burned by the XBR2 as well. 70" that I paid close to $6,000 for. I got a $2875 discount on an XBR-65HX929. So for $3125 I got 5 years of use out of the XBR2; that's $1.71 per day.

I too was nervous about buying another Sony. I read the issues people have been having with HX models - but it's safe to say that the vast majority of people who post are the negative kind; people without problems rarely post how great their set is. It seems that most of the people complaining are getting replacement sets. I noticed vertical banding on mine and I was worried - but after a few weeks they have gotten much better to the point that I have a hard time finding them and I now consider them to be a non-issue.

The HX929 is a great series. The picture is just fantastic - blows away anything Sony has had before. My only regret is the loss of 5"

I looked really long and hard at Sharp and Elite. These Sony's are pretty darn close to the Elites. A 60" Elite would have cost me double and a 70" Elite would have been triple. As much as they made me drool, I couldn't justify that price difference. Now if we were talking full retail price on the Sony then it's a much more competitive question. The Sharp is good but not as close - maybe the new models coming this summer with full array local dimming will be but you can bet they will cost a lot more.

I plan to buy an extended warranty for my Sony. ElectronicWarranty.com has very good prices and is highly rated. Since Sony warranty is 1.5 years I'll go with either 3 or 4 year. After that amount of time I figure I got my monies worth.

Note that my opinion is all based on someone that demands high-end performance. But then if I weren't I wouldn't have put down the bucks for an XBR2 to begin with.
unixguru is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11732 of 12058 Old 02-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Razor Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixguru View Post


Highly unlikely price even for the 46". On their web site they have a KDL46HX800 for that price but not available for shipping. It's an obsolete model. For current models it looks like they are more expensive than store.sony.com.

I got burned by the XBR2 as well. 70" that I paid close to $6,000 for. I got a $2875 discount on an XBR-65HX929. So for $3125 I got 5 years of use out of the XBR2; that's $1.71 per day.

I too was nervous about buying another Sony. I read the issues people have been having with HX models - but it's safe to say that the vast majority of people who post are the negative kind; people without problems rarely post how great their set is. It seems that most of the people complaining are getting replacement sets. I noticed vertical banding on mine and I was worried - but after a few weeks they have gotten much better to the point that I have a hard time finding them and I now consider them to be a non-issue.

The HX929 is a great series. The picture is just fantastic - blows away anything Sony has had before. My only regret is the loss of 5"

I looked really long and hard at Sharp and Elite. These Sony's are pretty darn close to the Elites. A 60" Elite would have cost me double and a 70" Elite would have been triple. As much as they made me drool, I couldn't justify that price difference. Now if we were talking full retail price on the Sony then it's a much more competitive question. The Sharp is good but not as close - maybe the new models coming this summer with full array local dimming will be but you can bet they will cost a lot more.

I plan to buy an extended warranty for my Sony. ElectronicWarranty.com has very good prices and is highly rated. Since Sony warranty is 1.5 years I'll go with either 3 or 4 year. After that amount of time I figure I got my monies worth.

Note that my opinion is all based on someone that demands high-end performance. But then if I weren't I wouldn't have put down the bucks for an XBR2 to begin with.

I agree with your views on the hx929. I got Sony to throw in a 5 year warranty, ps3 320gb, uncharted 3 and £150 ($240) cash back. At least I will have 5 years worry free ownership.
Razor Time is offline  
post #11733 of 12058 Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Micro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Caroliona
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If they are $1,998 for a 65" HX929 I take six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post

If you have a Fry's near you, I believe the 65HX929 is available there today for $1,998 which I believe is less than Sony's so-called accommodation price for their defective SXRD's.

However, I have chosen to bring my business elsewhere. Sony screwed me twice on SXRD's. They even told me that the cause of the optical block failures were fixed in the XBR2 chassis. Well, I think we all know that isn't true. So Sony, thanks for nothing. A so-called premium TV chassis that lasts less than 5 years? Well, I'm willing to take a chance with another manufacturer as reports are surfacing daily about common problems with Sony's current LCD/LED models as well. Many more than from Sharp, Samsung and Panasonic. Sony has lost their edge. Recently they announced an eye-popping financial loss, and blamed it on the consumer line of products. Not surprising given they are still commanding a premium price for much less-than-premium quality. Why pay more if you can get the same crap quality from other manufacturers for a lot less? OK, I know it's a rant, but hey, I am not the only one...

Micro is offline  
post #11734 of 12058 Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Newbie
 
secretplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying FB and Sarah Kepler now on a optical block!

Thanks to all that have helped with your comments on my greenish 70" XBR2!


SP
secretplayer is offline  
post #11735 of 12058 Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Micro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Caroliona
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
keep us posted on what Sarah says, she help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretplayer View Post

Trying FB and Sarah Kepler now on a optical block!

Thanks to all that have helped with your comments on my greenish 70" XBR2!


SP

Micro is offline  
post #11736 of 12058 Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Member
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea, you guys were right. It was the Sony 65" KDL65HX729 that was $1,998 at Fry's. That deal was good through this past Monday only. Still not interested in another Sony, but did want to set the record straight.

-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline  
post #11737 of 12058 Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Razor Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post

Yea, you guys were right. It was the Sony 65" KDL65HX729 that was $1,998 at Fry's. That deal was good through this past Monday only. Still not interested in another Sony, but did want to set the record straight.

Good of you to post back and good luck with what ever display you go for next.
Razor Time is offline  
post #11738 of 12058 Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Newbie
 
secretplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FB contact made with Sarah Kepler at Sony as was suggested by unixguru on trying to get us a new replacement optical block with the glass lenses fix.

Maybe something this week. She is trying to help now via Customer Relations.

Otherwise I will have to live with the XBR2 'as-is' because the proposed replacement XBR-65HX929 via Sony Replacement Program folks is just way beyond the budget now. Got the green cranked all the way down on the white balance settings. Still looks NG - but livable with our very limited funds.

Comments or suggestions continued to be welcomed!


SP
secretplayer is offline  
post #11739 of 12058 Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Razor Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You could try these guys.

http://www.tristatemodule.com/

A repair on your optical block costs around $300.
Razor Time is offline  
post #11740 of 12058 Old 02-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Newbie
 
secretplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sarah Kepler of Sony will not be available again until this Monday - 02/27/12.

We hope for help then.

Original replacement offer of a new Sony 65" KDL65HX729 through the folks in the Replacement Program has been extended a week with a price drop for the new unit to still over $2700. A good deal if we had the $$.

We're hoping Sarah can help us with a replacement part for the old 70XBR instead this week.

Again - thanks for all your input(s). Will let you know how this turns out.

SP
secretplayer is offline  
post #11741 of 12058 Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Newbie
 
secretplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sarah Kepler of Sony will not be available again until this Monday - 02/27/12.

We hope for help then.

Original replacement offer of a new Sony 65" KDL65HX729 through the folks in the Replacement Program has been extended a week with a price drop for the new unit to still over $2700. A good deal if we had the $$.

We're hoping Sarah can help us with a replacement part for the old 70XBR instead this week.

Again - thanks for all your input(s). Will let you know how this turns out.

SP
secretplayer is offline  
post #11742 of 12058 Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Micro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Caroliona
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ask if you can put it on a Sony credit card with zero interest for 12 months. It is not the best price from what I paid but it's better than it was offered to you last time!
Micro is offline  
post #11743 of 12058 Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Member
 
rohrbaughra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretplayer View Post

Thanks to all that have responded so far.

A few more opinions would be appreciated as well!

Do we believe the glass elements in the new block will correct the green cast problem for good?

We loved the 70" XBR2 picture before this issue .... Its a huge unit BUT the pic was wonderful!

Thanks for your inputs ....

SP

I had the 70 XBR2 until the OB failed and now have the Sharp 80LE632U. It is about the same size as the Sony 70" with the elephant ears but is all screen, has a far, FAR better picture and cost less than the Sony. I highly recommend this set.
rohrbaughra is offline  
post #11744 of 12058 Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Member
 
barryaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1 View Post

Today's update: Sony has decided to actually repair it. And even Precision Television is surprised. I guess $1500+ was better than $3000 or so for them. Supposedly 5-8 Business Days from today for the parts. I suspect that's all subject to change. And if anyone has had an OB replaced, what has your experience been with a warranty on the new OB itself? Obviously that's important to know.

Finally, the "back order" situation has seemingly been resolved and a replacement OB is being installed on the 9th. As I've been advised here, I have white screen material picked out to test this replacement, and it's the original service guy coming in (who first walked in, took one look, and said, "we're done, the OB's bad, no reason to even look further."), so I expect decent treatment. I'll admit that I'm kind of disappointed that it seems the set will be fixed, rather than replaced with the 65" or cash. I know I'll be living on borrowed time and no more Extended Warranty, so I better start squirreling away some money for the inevitable expensive replacement.

But I won't let him leave unless I'm satisfied.

Update to come...
barryaz1 is offline  
post #11745 of 12058 Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Elvis Is Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My 60" XBR2 still going strong on 2nd bulb. Owned since March 2007 - December 2006 build. No hints on green. I guess I've been one of the lucky few. Almost wish it die, so I could upgrade. Also own a 2008 67" Sammy LED DLP, which still works flawlessly.

Former owner of 56" JVC LCOS set that developed yellow blobs after one year of use. It was replaced by the Sammy LED DLP. If I were purchasing today, I would go with the one of the large Sharp LCD's.
Elvis Is Alive is offline  
post #11746 of 12058 Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Member
 
barryaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1 View Post

Finally, the "back order" situation has seemingly been resolved and a replacement OB is being installed on the 9th. As I've been advised here, I have white screen material picked out to test this replacement,

Update to come...

New OB in this morning. So far, so good. White screen (end of Big Bang Theory) looked good. Overall picture seems very bright; checked my originally calibrated settings and they hadn't changed. I think it was a long-term deterioration that hadn't been obvious. Now that I'm officially passed my Sony Extended Warranty (good $320 gamble), the warranty on this work is only 90 days, so the set will be left on for most of that. If it's going to die, it should do so quickly. Including the original, this is my 3rd OB.

Interesting, for those who might remember my installation through the adjoining garage wall and the duct feeding interior cooked air to the fan, the technician said it was one of the cleanest interiors he had ever seen. So I guess any concerns about the environment being dirty were not problems.

But still squirreling away some money for that inevitable day when it dies, hopefully later, rather than on day 91...
barryaz1 is offline  
post #11747 of 12058 Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Member
 
barryaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1 View Post

feeding interior cooked air

Ooops, cooled
barryaz1 is offline  
post #11748 of 12058 Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Member
 
gwnelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ft Worth Texas
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by putter View Post

Did you buy the Service Net warranty through Sony Style or a brick and mortar retailer like Tweeter? When did they offer you the 65hx and the buyout on the warranty, please?
Thanks.
Incidentally, Sarah Kepler at Sony Listens called GW NELSON's (I did not identify him/her) a lie. I am not saying that, but just reporting what she said.
I am strongly considering a small claims suit. I have read Steve Linke's excellent website about such tactics and I am studying the issue further. The New York Class Action and notice/opt out issue will likely be my biggest hurdle, but I didn't get notice of the class or proposed settlement in 2010.
Any thoughts from members on small claim actions would be appreciated. DON'T violate any confidentiality agreement you might have signed in a settlement though.
Thanks.

Just read this tonight. Sorry I don't check in more often. As far as Mrs. Keplers claim. she might say this hoping to keep any thoughts of a fair settlement out of anyone's minds. I have already received the check
and placed it in a savings account to pay for the TV I will eventually purchase. What Sony did to the people who purchased these POS TV's is unforgivable. What makes it even worse is that they think a fair offer is for you to buy one of their current models at probably a little above "cost" which still means they don't lose any money. How could they possibly think "FAIR" is giving someone who plunked $5000 or more a $1000 - $1500 discount on another $5000 TV. Let me see...... you give them $8500 for a POS TV that can't be fixed and one that might be a POS down the road. So you just paid $8500 for 1 TV. I can see how that sucks for them. I just got lucky by having my set break with something they don't make anymore. Sorry if I ramble a little but it really pisses me off when a multi-billion Corp. continually tries to stick it to the little guy who spends his hard earned money for a product he has been assured is no longer defective and Sarah Kepler can kiss my ass.
BTW -- the check I received was issued by "Service Net Warranty" although my service plan was purchased through SonyStyle
gwnelson is offline  
post #11749 of 12058 Old 03-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Member
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnelson View Post

Just read this tonight. Sorry I don't check in more often. As far as Mrs. Keplers claim. she might say this hoping to keep any thoughts of a fair settlement out of anyone's minds. I have already received the check
and placed it in a savings account to pay for the TV I will eventually purchase. What Sony did to the people who purchased these POS TV's is unforgivable. What makes it even worse is that they think a fair offer is for you to buy one of their current models at probably a little above "cost" which still means they don't lose any money. How could they possibly think "FAIR" is giving someone who plunked $5000 or more a $1000 - $1500 discount on another $5000 TV. Let me see...... you give them $8500 for a POS TV that can't be fixed and one that might be a POS down the road. So you just paid $8500 for 1 TV. I can see how that sucks for them. I just got lucky by having my set break with something they don't make anymore. Sorry if I ramble a little but it really pisses me off when a multi-billion Corp. continually tries to stick it to the little guy who spends his hard earned money for a product he has been assured is no longer defective and Sarah Kepler can kiss my ass.
BTW -- the check I received was issued by "Service Net Warranty" although my service plan was purchased through SonyStyle

I feel exactly the same way about Sony, but don't blame their tools, folks such as Sarah Kepler and Amanda Mafaei. They're just doing their job, which to me seems like a pretty bottom of the rung job anyways. Sony is completely to blame. Their offers suck. While folks sure can spend their money the way they see fit, in most cases the offers are for inferior products to the ones they're replacing. Sony does not deserve the premium prices they have now. Maybe 20 years ago, that premium price did come with a premium product. Now Sony is just like every other company selling into the consumer market. So vote with your wallet, like I did, and don't buy a Sony product ever again. And anyone who asks you for a product or consumer reference, tell them to buy anything but Sony. Oh, yes, that will spread. May take many years, but the best thing those of us who got screwed can do is our best to make sure Sony just goes away. Besides, for their "accommodation" prices, we can get much better value and many more features from their competitors. And, btw, Sony's 3D really sucks too.

And try to post anything negative on the "I Have A Defective Sony TV" Facebook page, and you'll be banned. Yep, it's censored by tools...funny how companies don't want people to know the real facts and truths...

That is all.

-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline  
post #11750 of 12058 Old 03-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Member
 
gwnelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ft Worth Texas
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got off on my rant so bad last night I forgot why I logged on. I still have my 70XBR2, with a new issue. After the set has been on for an hour or so I notice the brightness of the screen drops by 10 or 15%. It doesn't make any difference whether I have auto iris on or off. Set is still watchable but just barely. I am on my second bulb but this doesn't seem like a bulb issue. Anyone else have a similar problem? Thanks for any help. I don't want to get rid of the set just yet as when it is good it is still very good
gwnelson is offline  
post #11751 of 12058 Old 03-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Razor Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnelson View Post

Got off on my rant so bad last night I forgot why I logged on. I still have my 70XBR2, with a new issue. After the set has been on for an hour or so I notice the brightness of the screen drops by 10 or 15%. It doesn't make any difference whether I have auto iris on or off. Set is still watchable but just barely. I am on my second bulb but this doesn't seem like a bulb issue. Anyone else have a similar problem? Thanks for any help. I don't want to get rid of the set just yet as when it is good it is still very good

Sounds like the bulb is wearing out. Mine used to do that and a fresh bulb would fix the issue.
Razor Time is offline  
post #11752 of 12058 Old 03-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Member
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnelson View Post

Got off on my rant so bad last night I forgot why I logged on. I still have my 70XBR2, with a new issue. After the set has been on for an hour or so I notice the brightness of the screen drops by 10 or 15%. It doesn't make any difference whether I have auto iris on or off. Set is still watchable but just barely. I am on my second bulb but this doesn't seem like a bulb issue. Anyone else have a similar problem? Thanks for any help. I don't want to get rid of the set just yet as when it is good it is still very good

In the settings configuration, do you have "Iris" set to Auto? If so, try one of the other settings that keep it from changing automatically.

-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline  
post #11753 of 12058 Old 03-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
RobbinMerritt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnelson View Post

Got off on my rant so bad last night I forgot why I logged on. I still have my 70XBR2, with a new issue. After the set has been on for an hour or so I notice the brightness of the screen drops by 10 or 15%. It doesn't make any difference whether I have auto iris on or off. Set is still watchable but just barely. I am on my second bulb but this doesn't seem like a bulb issue. Anyone else have a similar problem? Thanks for any help. I don't want to get rid of the set just yet as when it is good it is still very good

Is the Power saving option turned on? That would dim the set depending on room light.

Robbin
RobbinMerritt is offline  
post #11754 of 12058 Old 03-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Newbie
 
yellowbird33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally purchased the KDS50XBR1($3500) almost 6 years ago.Six months in the OB went and had it replaced.Two weeks later the same problem developed and I had the set replaced.By this time they no longer made the KDS50XBR1 and replaced it with the KDS60XBR2. I bought the extended warranty ($500 for 5 years).Of course now the set is developing the same problems as its predecessor. I was just wondering if I had any options with Sony at this point since I have gone through two televisions and $4000 in just less than six years and they obviously are plagued with the same problems.
yellowbird33 is offline  
post #11755 of 12058 Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

Is the Power saving option turned on? That would dim the set depending on room light.

Doubtful.
fmalczewski is offline  
post #11756 of 12058 Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post

In the settings configuration, do you have "Iris" set to Auto? If so, try one of the other settings that keep it from changing automatically.

Do you guys actually read what you are responding to?
fmalczewski is offline  
post #11757 of 12058 Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Member
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

Do you guys actually read what you are responding to?

Suppose that your question is posed to me. I guess I could have been more specific in my post. He said he tried with his Auto Iris On or Off. I recommended it not be on auto. There are five (5) other settings that are basically manual iris control. He didn't say which he tried. My recommendation was that he try all of the other 5 non-auto settings.

Question - Rather than putting down other folks replies, do you have a constructive recommendation for the poster who started this sub-thread?

-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline  
post #11758 of 12058 Old 03-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Member
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird33 View Post

I originally purchased the KDS50XBR1($3500) almost 6 years ago.Six months in the OB went and had it replaced.Two weeks later the same problem developed and I had the set replaced.By this time they no longer made the KDS50XBR1 and replaced it with the KDS60XBR2. I bought the extended warranty ($500 for 5 years).Of course now the set is developing the same problems as its predecessor. I was just wondering if I had any options with Sony at this point since I have gone through two televisions and $4000 in just less than six years and they obviously are plagued with the same problems.

Suggest you read through this thread which explains what Sony has done over time to "accommodate" folks with this exact issue. Their "accommodations" have changed over the past several years. What it comes down this time is that Sony will basically offer you about 40-50% off non-sale retailer pricing (not MSRP) for a new Sony TV. They start with their bottom-of-the line models (not the XBR's which was top-on-the line we had with our KDS's). You can then ask them to price other models fort you if you want to consider other Sony models. Interestingly, almost all the other models I asked for pricing on were not available in this "accommodation" program, which to me says they're cleaning out their bottom-of-the barrel models at our expense.

Interestingly, many of their new TV's have other issues, including top-of-the-line models (read other threads here on avsforum).

Personally, I consider Sony a non-premium brand now. We can get crappy quality from other manufacturers at much lest cost than Sony tries to command today. Suggest you consider other brands such as Sharp, LG, Samsung and Panasonic. You may find an attractive replacement for these worthless KDS's, and perhaps even a TV that will last more than 5-7 years...that's what I did, and also got the satisfaction on making sure Sony had one less sale. Sure, they'll sell that one TV to others, but if we all make it harder for Sony to sell their garbage product, eventually they will correct their deficient quality control, or go out of business. Personally, I hope it is the latter. I decided not to give them one cent more of my hard earned money. In fact, I spent the same for a replacement TV that well exceeded an equivalently prices Sony, but had a much better picture (subjective, of course), and many more features, and for which 3D actually looked good (Sony's 3D sucks and is rated very low by most 3D reviews, across the Sony product line).

A good place to start with Sony, if you're interested in a replacement, is the "I Have A Defective Sony TV" page on Facebook. Good luck with whatever you decide!

-Homie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline  
post #11759 of 12058 Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Member
 
herck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: vancouver b.c canada
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony should just be giving us replacement tvs. we still have to dispose of the plastic box of junk we paid 7000 dollars for.
herck is offline  
post #11760 of 12058 Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Member
 
barryaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by herck View Post

Sony should just be giving us replacement tvs. we still have to dispose of the plastic box of junk we paid 7000 dollars for.

That's why I so wish that Sony had just given me enough cash to get the best Sharp 70", instead of replacing the OB on my 70. But this was still one of those few times that the manufacturer's extended warranty made sense.

Now 3+ days of my new OB being on for about 18 hours/day, and still OK.
barryaz1 is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off