Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 394 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11791 of 12055 Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony did not offer me discounts on any of their TV's. Instead the offered me a gift card worth $1500 to be used on ANY TV as long as I purchase it at a sony store or from their web site. Also they state that there is no expiry date so I can buy a TV whenever they might become more reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 12055 Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Hmmm, what's wrong with this picture. (WhiBal neutral gray card at the bottom).

I'm sending my info into the contact mentioned on the Facebook page, any recent experiences on what I can expect?

This makes 2 Sony RP HDTVs that went bad in 3-4 years, I'm not sure I want another even with a discount.

post #11793 of 12055 Old 04-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Pitt View Post

Hmmm, what's wrong with this picture. (WhiBal neutral gray card at the bottom).

I'm sending my info into the contact mentioned on the Facebook page, any recent experiences on what I can expect?

This makes 2 Sony RP HDTVs that went bad in 3-4 years, I'm not sure I want another even with a discount.

Yep, looks like you got the OB greens (blues? ).

Sony will first offer low-end models. After you've refused that and contacted Sarah asking about high-end models you will probably be offered around 50% discount on an HX929. If your XBR is 60" the best you can do is a 55HX929; if it's a 70" a 65HX929.

If you search for my posts you will see all the details on my adventure from 70XBR2 to 65HX929. The set is very very good, not perfect, but then nothing is. Discount I got made it an exceptional deal. I do wonder how long they are going to keep offering such discounts.

Good luck.
post #11794 of 12055 Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks View Post

Push the right buttons and you will get results like most others have. Those $200 offers are long gone though.That offer they give first is not very good either. I ended up contacting someone on facebook as mentioned earlier in this thread. After a short chat I was then offered....

60NX720 for $1500
55HX820 for $1120
55HX729 for $900
55NX720 for $1000
55HX929 for $1350 (see below).

OK I got my case number and about to call tonight for my offers for my 60XBR2 bought in nov 2006.

Question on the 60NX720? I see that is no longer available to purchase on the sony style site. Do you think that means it is out of stock and I wont be offered that model. I hope they offer it. That is the model I have my eye on.

I guess the only way to find out is ask tonight but thought someone might have inside info on the status of this model.
post #11795 of 12055 Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB99 View Post

OK I got my case number and about to call tonight for my offers for my 60XBR2 bought in nov 2006.

Question on the 60NX720? I see that is no longer available to purchase on the sony style site. Do you think that means it is out of stock and I wont be offered that model. I hope they offer it. That is the model I have my eye on.

I guess the only way to find out is ask tonight but thought someone might have inside info on the status of this model.

Well the 60NX720s are no longer. Went with the 55HX929. Sony seems to be going either 55 or 65 with their models now. No real choice for a 60 for me other than the low end models.

Now I have to take the picture and remove the serial number with a hair dryer.

Great price 1320. Sony did good my me. I didnt think they even had to do this. Thank god for this forum or I would have not even known about this program. Thanks!
post #11796 of 12055 Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 PM

You will love the HX929 I have the 65" HX929 I did have the 70" XBR2 and still do of wich I fixed and it too is great again!
post #11797 of 12055 Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro View Post

You will love the HX929 I have the 65" HX929 I did have the 70" XBR2 and still do of wich I fixed and it too is great again!

Can you tell me how you fixed it? Did you buy the optical blocker and put it in yourself? Just want to know what to say on ebay. Because I aint fixing it and selling it for 50 bucks or more...lol..
post #11798 of 12055 Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM

I removed the old OB from the set; sent it to tri-state had it rebuilt they then returned it to me I reinstalled the rebuilt OB back into the set, and it’s like having a new 70XBR2! It cost $299 but it’s worth it! It is very ease to do also. It took me about two hours to take the OB out and about one hour to put back in. The kids are now using it in the family den for their games and things where the 65HX929 is in my theater room for the adults to use.
post #11799 of 12055 Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:

I removed the old OB from the set; sent it to tri-state had it rebuilt they then returned it to me I reinstalled the rebuilt OB back into the set, and it's like having a new 70XBR2! It cost $299 but it's worth it! It is very ease to do also. It took me about two hours to take the OB out and about one hour to put back in. The kids are now using it in the family den for their games and things where the 65HX929 is in my theater room for the adults to use.

Thanks. I'll put that in my ad. I'll report back what it goes for so other members have an idea what a bad 60XBR2 is worth...

I am sending off my serial numbers tommorrow so hopefully have my new set in a few weeks...yahoo...
post #11800 of 12055 Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:

I removed the old OB from the set; sent it to tri-state had it rebuilt they then returned it to me I reinstalled the rebuilt OB back into the set, and it's like having a new 70XBR2! It cost $299 but it's worth it! It is very ease to do also. It took me about two hours to take the OB out and about one hour to put back in. The kids are now using it in the family den for their games and things where the 65HX929 is in my theater room for the adults to use.

What was the turn around time on the repair??
post #11801 of 12055 Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Hello, it was a little over four weeks to get back the rebuilt OB.
post #11802 of 12055 Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hello, it was a little over four weeks to get back the rebuilt OB.

Micro,

I don't suppose you have a log (with pictures, hopefully) of the steps to remove the OB (like adrian has here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17464028 for the xbr1)? Or did you use his instructions as a guide? Or did you just wing it on your own?
post #11803 of 12055 Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 AM

When I had the first OB taking out on Sony's dime I watched the tech very closely and he explained what he was doing; but, when I did it I just did it and kept a log of where all wires and screws went. It's not that big of a job, just take your time.
post #11804 of 12055 Old 04-18-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB99 View Post

Dave,

Good for you, I had my XBR2 replaced with a NX720. Nice picture but my replacement failed within 2 weeks as it had major banning issues. They replaced the KDL60NX720 with another unit and basically another one arrived and I had similar issues as the first. Now they want me to take another picture and start this process all over again. Fricking frustrating as hell as my history goes like this:

1.) XBR1 replaced 3 months into using it Optical Block issue. Repaired 2
times and failed twice.

2.) XBR2: Was used as a replacement, it took several years and an extended
Warr but then it green donut issue showed up again.

3.) Replacement Program process started and a KDL60NX720 was purchased
at a nominal fee. TV showed up and problems with LEDs.

4.) Replacement for Replacement shows up another KDL60NX720, LEDs
intermittently showing issues of going out.

Now the Sony people that have been dealing with the replacement(s) have been good, but now I am to the point they should cough up a decent TV for all the time and money I have spent dealing with this BS. When I mean a decent TV a 65" 929! Why should I have to pay for an extended Warr, as I am not confident that they can make TV that works!
post #11805 of 12055 Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM

Sony finally agreed to replace my greenish KDS-R70XBR2 with a XBR-65HX929 and an additional wad of cash.

TV arrived last week and looks very good (note cautionary tone). Trying to get an extended warranty coverage now from a third party. Suggestions welcomed.

My contact was Sarah Kepler at Sony Cares. I believe Sony did more than any other manufacturer would - BUT original OEM failure / cause, fix, improved replacement parts etc. are not available - just the replacement set and more $$. Looks like Sony is RUNNING as fast as they can away from their SXRD experiences. I hope responsible parties inside Sony for this design flaw were ... fixed.

Trying to find a reasonable repair now for old XBR2's original light engine via TSM. Replacement engine plus removal / reinstall could be high $$ total. Waiting on more input there. Part is $299 at TSM. Root cause of the greenish tint seems to be undisclosed by Sony

LCD panel failures due to heat are discussed widely. More ventilation air could help a heat problem during any rebuild unless the heat is radiant. There possibly only material improvements are only possible via the MFR - and so far nada.

Thanks for all inputs. Any additional comments or suggestions are welcomed.

I hope this string can help / advise others as well. Final on the rebuild is only pending so far

SP
post #11806 of 12055 Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 832
Anyone want to tell me this isn't what I think it is?

Used a Gray 50% test pattern. There appears to be no discoloration on colored or white test patterns. XBR2 itself isn't calibrated.
post #11807 of 12055 Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretplayer View Post

TV arrived last week and looks very good (note cautionary tone). Trying to get an extended warranty coverage now from a third party. Suggestions welcomed.

I've had good experiences with both Service.net and Squaretrade.com.

Robbin
post #11808 of 12055 Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 PM

I am NOT an expert - just fully loaded with other peoples input(s). My summary of best inputs / conclusions / experiences follows:

Problem is a Sony design error with the Blue LCD and an acrylic IR filter lense on that inside the light engine.

Sony Cares' says no new parts (sorry) just a replacement set so I got a new XBR-65HX929 for $2500 plus tax to my door. Picture is great so far. One half the weight of the 70" XBR2 and only a little smaller screen.

My Sony Repair Center (local) says a NEW light engine with the design fixed (correct glass IR filter lense and blue LCD) is $1300 (all new parts - everything ... the whole light engine) plus come out to install - another $400. This seems like we need a new cam so repair desk suggests a short block. Sounds familar. It is also LESS than the new XBR-65HX929 I just paid for.

'Sony Cares' says "no replacement parts". Sony Repair channel says "a fix is available" - albeit a totally new light engine inclusive of the design fix.

Repair your own light engine via http://tristatemodule.com/default.aspx is about $300 if you send in YOUR existing light engine. They advise no fixes made to the design - just replacement of failed parts from older used light engine parts. My guess it will happen again w/o a fix. They have said as much.

Other actual fixers for existing light engine with the updated engine design via sites or repair places are unknown to me but I sure would like to find a GOOD place to FIX my XBR2 light engine with the (now?) correct Sony design, glass IR filter and new blue LCD. Good specific directions for the
70XBR2 would help too on removal and reinstall of the light engine assembly.

So there you have where I am.

Anyone know a verified fixer with the correct OEM pieces as outlined?

SP
post #11809 of 12055 Old 05-13-2012, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Folks thanks for the invaluable information being provided on this thread over the years. I've followed it since my first 60 xbr1. After replacing the bulb recently my 70 xbr2 is experiencing the beginnings of green globs. I was offered lower models than the 65hx929 which I feel in my opinion is the one that should be a match to what the 70 xbr2 was considered the flagship model 5 years ago. With info. from the thread I managed to get the 65hx929. I still had a hard time accepting and then spending the extra cash on a TV after buying a whole new HT setup days before replacing my bulb. The TV will be here on Monday. I'll hold on possibly getting the 70's optical block replaced. For now the kids get a top notch 70 inch Wii display....
post #11810 of 12055 Old 05-19-2012, 03:21 PM

FURTHER updates soon.

An actual optical block REPAIR is in the works!

Maybe a few weeks with actual results / details.

SP
post #11811 of 12055 Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Liked: 832
MRMOTA, can you write up your experience and how it went for reference? And snags hit?

Secretplayer, keep us updated as well.

Looks like I'll probably be in the same boat as both of you real soon once I can scround up some extra cash.
post #11812 of 12055 Old 05-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

http://larchive.avsforum.com/www.avs....php?t=1318875

Look into the thread above on others people experiences.

Mileage will vary.

I just provided details on my history with the XBR line when I sent the email to Sony Listens. I received a reply with a case number and there support line. I called and after being offered lesser sets by the original support tech I was made aware that his offer was what he was authorized to make. I made a request for the 65hx929 and he had to get a supervisor to get on the call and see what if anything else they would be able to do. I prepared myself, but to my surprise as soon as the supervisor got on the call the offer was made and what I would have to provide for the 65 to be shipped to me. I was sent an email with the offer details and what I would have to provide if I accpted the offer. The email also stated that I had 7 days to accept or decline the offer. I accepted the offer on the fifth day after talking it over the wife.

Before the TV is shipped you'll be asked for a picture with the issue visible and the case number taped on the bottom of your set. You can find examples on the thread above of the format being asked for on the picture proof. You'll also have to peel the serial # sticker on the back of the set and send it in. I carefully removed all the stickers around the serial # sticker to be on the safe side. Go real slow when removing them as they can tear. Since they were still sticky I adhered them them onto a standard sheet of print paper. In total I sent a color picture proof with the case number in the picture. The sheet with the sets stickers. Lastly I included the sheet I had written the case number that was in the picture. The third item wasnt asked for, but just figured I would included. Once they receive the materials they'll aprove your proof and put in for a purchase order to be created. Only when the TV is set to be shipped will they charge you the agreed price. If your using your bank account to pay for your set I'd recommend you calling your bank ahead and see if your daily limit for purchases needs to be raised. This added an extra week since after they had received the proof, put in for shipment my bank declined the transaction. It took Sony roughly another week to resubmit for payment.

From intial email to set arriving with an extra week due to bank watching out for me was two weeks. One thing that really surprised me was that i was charged on Friday morning and I recieved the email within an hour with tracking info I figured it be a few weeks for delivery. Well at about 5PM on Friday I recieved a call from CEVA that they would be at my house on Monday morning. It actually got pushed to Wednesday as the TV didnt arrive until Monday afternoon to the local depot. When the TV arrived I paid the crew 20 bucks and some sodas for them to unbox and lift it onto my TV stand. They went ahead and also did the intial setup to check that the TV was fully operational.

The sets is amazing, but it is not perfect. Some of the issues described in the thread above are present but unless Im looking for them it really doesnt deter. I dont have any dead pixels and no blooming. Minimal banding and some halo, but nothing extreme. If I were paying 6k you bet I'd be trying set after set. I didnt pay close to that and am willing to live with it until I go 4K in 5 years.
post #11813 of 12055 Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 AM

If any of you guys are interested and know how to fix the light engine I have my 60" on ebay now for only $50.00. I am in Connecticut. Pickup only. Just look up 60XBR2 on ebay.
post #11814 of 12055 Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Just shipped my 70XBR2 OB to Tri-State today. I'll post my results when the time comes.
post #11815 of 12055 Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM

My best current fix for the old 70XBR2 was found via with Steve Linke.

We have spoken directly and it IS an actual fix to the light engine configuration to repair the OEM design flaw (check my posts above).

After I get 4 or 5 friends over to move the existing 70XBR2 beast so I can get at the light engine - it will be a few weeks after that to turn around the modified (fixed) light engine via Steve.

He advises 10,000 hours of fixed operation after the fix. For the cost I am going for it.

Updates as possible.

Actual life quality of the fix would depend how many hours we watched the (now secondary) set. If it were 1000 hours per year it would take a decade to confirm all.

If I could squeeze another five years out of the old 70XBR2 without green I would be ecstatic!

SP
post #11816 of 12055 Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Just to add to the data, I called today (out of the country for a while) on the unit I posted above.

The initial offer was a 55BX520 for $700 and a 60EX720 for $1375. After the (seemingly typical) request for a model comparable to my XBR unit, they escalated to someone else who had to check on availability and call me back The 65's are still reserved for customers with 65/70" units, but I received the same XBR-55HX929 for $1,320 offer as noted above.

I'm quite satisfied. Even though I'm on a string of two consecutive defective Sony big-screens (previous 57" also went bad), I have too many remotes/automation tied in to Sony codes to start over and will probably be taking this.

Thanks all for this great source of information.
post #11817 of 12055 Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bull View Post

Just shipped my 70XBR2 OB to Tri-State today. I'll post my results when the time comes.

The Good....

Shipped OB to Tri-state on May 30
UPS Delivery notice on June 2
Receipt notice from Tri-state on June 4
Call from Tri-state on June 5 -- OB IS READY
WOW!! THAT WAS FAST
Received OB on June 7
Installed OB on June 8
NO MORE GREEN:)smile.gif VERY HAPPY........

see next post...
post #11818 of 12055 Old 06-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Now The Bad...

After a minute of looking strictly at the color, I noticed that the picture didn't look very crisp -and was quite large.

Cycled the Wide button to Full - still didn't look right - an HD signal has black bars at the top and bottom - and the top bar is thicker. HD source (cable box) was from 1080i channel (also tried 720p).

Hit Display and saw that the TV said signal was 480p. Looked at cable box and it said signal was 480p...hmmm. Note: using HDMI to Video 7. Tried Video 8 - same result.

Hooked up HDMI to different TV - 1080i sent and received. Hmm.. not the cable box then.

Tried component to XBR2 - even worse results.

OK - lets try Blu-Ray. TV Display says signal is 1080p - But it is definetly NOT displaying in 1080p.

Went into Service menu - checked horizontal/vertical - they seemed ok to me.

So after replacing the OB, the TV is unable to handle an HD signal - or tells other components that it can only handle 480p or 480i. (i've traded my green TV for an SD TV frown.gif)

I am 100% (OK - 99.99%) certain that everything was put back in its proper place when OB was reinstalled.

Has anyone else heard of this issue - or had it after replacing the OB?

Could it be the OB itself? I wouldn't think so - but don't know for sure.

I'm totally stumped and open for any help or suggestions.

thanks
post #11819 of 12055 Old 06-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Sorry to hear that the_Bull.

I had my OB repaired for green blob problem by Tristate last year and all went well, no problems such as you're experiencing. The only advice I can give is to contact Tri-state and describe the problems you are having, I'm sure they'll know what the problem is. I know it's a pain in the arse but it would also probably be worth stripping the set down again and re-installing the block to make sure you've got it all 100% correctly fitted. keep us informed.
post #11820 of 12055 Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Were it me, if just unplugging the set for a while made no difference (and perhaps doing the same with your other components), I would do a reset to factory defaults of the TV set. After having recorded your current settings so you can restore (all, or most of) them.

Page 75 of the manual shows how to do the reset:

Turn on the TV. While holding down the V button on the remote control, press the POWER button on the TV. Release the POWER button then release the V button. The TV will turn itself off, then back on again with Initial Setup. WARNING: This operation will clear all of your customized settings including Parental Lock setting.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page