Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 402 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12031 of 12058 Old 01-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Closer to the refrigerator" - I love it. A mans got to have his priorities. My TV is in the family room just off the kitchen so I am all set. As a matter of fact I can eat in the kitchen and still watch the TV thanks to the 70 inches.

Glad to hear of another owner with no problems with his SXRD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12032 of 12058 Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Liked: 11
Fingers crossed my 70" hasn't shown any signs if blobs yet since the block got replaced around 2 and a half years ago. I am on my third bulb though. I can't remember for sure if I bought the bulb from Amazon or if it was from a reputable seller on eBay which I think it was the case. It's a recommend seller and the name is somewhere in this thread. Too lazy to do something search right now.

Typed from Nexus 5, ZFFZ
post #12033 of 12058 Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaliscojorge View Post

Fingers crossed my 70" hasn't shown any signs of blobs yet since the block got replaced around 2 and a half years ago. I am on my third bulb though. I can't remember for sure if I bought the bulb from Amazon or if it was from a reputable seller on eBay which I think it was the case. It's a recommend seller and the name is somewhere in this thread. Too lazy to do something search right now.

Typed from Nexus 5, ZFFZ

Typed from Nexus 5, ZFFZ
post #12034 of 12058 Old 01-04-2014, 10:04 PM

Sorry for the double post. I'm on tapatalk and intended to edit my post but ended up with a double post and can't find an option to delete.

Typed from Nexus 5, ZFFZ
post #12035 of 12058 Old 01-10-2014, 07:39 PM

I thought you guys might be amused to hear that, up until a few weeks ago, I was still using this TV in one room, with its uneven dirty yellow whites and slowly-fading third bulb. Alas, I think a cold solder joint is failing, because it tends abruptly to turn off after about 5-15 minutes of being on. The vents are all clear, so I have to think it's a bad trace/pad somewhere that loses contact after heat expansion. Perhaps in the power supply.

Anyway, that makes 7.5 years of mostly-on usage, which aside from the godawful optical block problems, were pretty good. At least I managed to satisfy my rule of thumb about averaging $1000 or less on a premium TV per year. Time, now, to retire it and enlist a newbie, preferably for less money this time. :P I just wish it were a year or two down the road so I could reasonably afford a 70-80" 4K TV, but I don't have the $15-30K it takes to get a decent one right now.
post #12036 of 12058 Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 AM

Glad to see there is still some interest in this thread. I would like to give an update on my 70XBR2. It developed a blue tint through out the picture, especially noticeable in the blacks. This happened while Sony was doing the exchange. I went another route and used my ABC Warehouse warranty, which they replace my 70 XBR2 with a Mits 73" DLP. They let me keep my XBR2 and it sat in another room in my basement for the kids to use for about 2 years.

Finally I got tired of walking by it when going to my man cave and could not just come to grips with parting with it. So I decided to tear into it, remove the optical block and send it to Tri-State Module. They rebuilt the optical block and had it back to me within a week. I installed it just the other night and to my surprise the picture is FANTASTIC. I did not realize how much I missed this tv. I am real happy with Tri-State Module and would recommend them to anyone who may still have one of these tv's and can tackle the disassemble and reassembly. For just under $330 I have my XBR2 back. I will be very satisfied if I get another 3 years out of this tv.

I do have one question? While using my PS4 I noticed the bottom one inch or so of the picture is cropped off. Example would be along the bottom of COD Ghosts I can only see the top portion of what version the update is. I do not notice this when I watch television in HD through my cable input. Is there a way I can adjust the picture up about .5 in., such as in the service menu maybe?
post #12037 of 12058 Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 PM

My R70 XBR2 finally has the green blob...time to replace the optical block OR replace the set. If I replace the set what are you guys looking at these days as a viable replacement display with similar or better picture quality?
post #12038 of 12058 Old 03-20-2014, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnodgrass View Post

My R70 XBR2 finally has the green blob...time to replace the optical block OR replace the set. If I replace the set what are you guys looking at these days as a viable replacement display with similar or better picture quality?

I replaced mine with a Sharp 70" LCD and then two years later with a Sharp 80" LCD. Neither offer as good a picture quality as the XBR2. But in the large sizes, the Sharp 70/80 or the Samsung 75 are about the only game in town. If you want to step down in size, the Samsung 64" Plasma is still available for sale.

If you have the cash, the LG 77" OLED 4K set should be available later this year. I have the 55" OLED and the picture quality has to be seen to be believed.

Robbin
post #12039 of 12058 Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 AM

Wondering if you still have lamps for sale ? & ? $

My xbr2 has just gone through its second lamp in 4 months,  any thoughts ?

post #12040 of 12058 Old 04-18-2014, 10:33 AM

I've been following this thread with a lot of interest - our KDS-R60XBR2 optical block lasted longer than most, but went green/yellow around November. I've been struggling with what to do, but after talking with a tech at Tri-State this morning, I think I'm going to send my OB in and have them rebuild it. I've watched the teardown videos several times, and the Tri-State tech assured me that it looks uglier than it actually is. I do computer repair for a living, so digging into electronics doesn't scare me, and I think as long as I keep the screws labeled, separated and organized, I can do this.

I had noticed a couple of posts from earlier last year about problems with Tri-State, but haven't seen any recently. And I've seen a lot of positive ones.

We were ready to go for a 70" Vizio, but I'd be much more comfortable financially right now with dropping $300 plus some labor to get another three years out of my XBR and then spend $1800 or so when it's not quite such an issue.

Does that make sense?
post #12041 of 12058 Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraun View Post

I've been following this thread with a lot of interest - our KDS-R60XBR2 optical block lasted longer than most, but went green/yellow around November. I've been struggling with what to do, but after talking with a tech at Tri-State this morning, I think I'm going to send my OB in and have them rebuild it. I've watched the teardown videos several times, and the Tri-State tech assured me that it looks uglier than it actually is. I do computer repair for a living, so digging into electronics doesn't scare me, and I think as long as I keep the screws labeled, separated and organized, I can do this.

I had noticed a couple of posts from earlier last year about problems with Tri-State, but haven't seen any recently. And I've seen a lot of positive ones.

We were ready to go for a 70" Vizio, but I'd be much more comfortable financially right now with dropping $300 plus some labor to get another three years out of my XBR and then spend $1800 or so when it's not quite such an issue.

Does that make sense?

I think so. When it's working properly, this set still offers better picture quality than any LCD on the market. Until I recently bought an OLED, the 70xbr2 was easily my best set.

Robbin
post #12042 of 12058 Old 04-18-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

I think so. When it's working properly, this set still offers better picture quality than any LCD on the market. Until I recently bought an OLED, the 70xbr2 was easily my best set.

I kind of disagree. I recently bought the Vizio in my signature and it's pretty much day and night in favor of the Vizio. Not even close, I wouldn't watch a movie anymore on my 70XBR2. I moved it to the basement for the kids to play games and watch their stuff. LEDs have come a long way, and the colors produced by this series of Vizio are extremely good, very natural colors.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #12043 of 12058 Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

I kind of disagree. I recently bought the Vizio in my signature and it's pretty much day and night in favor of the Vizio. Not even close, I wouldn't watch a movie anymore on my 70XBR2. I moved it to the basement for the kids to play games and watch their stuff. LEDs have come a long way, and the colors produced by this series of Vizio are extremely good, very natural colors.

Thanks. I tend to agree that the new Vizio's are very good, and we were contemplating either the 65" or the 70" M-series. However, I'm really thinking that financially we'll be in a much better position to drop $2k in a year or two, so I'll have TSM rebuild the XBR2 block for now. I've been extremely happy with the image up until the yellow thing happened, and I think as long as I don't have the Vizio in my house to compare it to, we'll continue to be happy for another 2 years. I could move it to the basement and use it in my studio/office, but there's no possible way to get it around the landing and down the stairs....
post #12044 of 12058 Old 04-18-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

Thanks. I believe that's what I'm going to do. And it buys me maybe three more years for $300, and I can look at a new LCD or whatever at that point.
post #12045 of 12058 Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 AM

After 8+ years with the 70" Sony XBR2 and dealing with the yellowish and green tint for the last 6 month, I made the move and got a new TV. After looking around for a replacement, I ended up with the 80" Vizio m801i. The picture clarity is amazing. It's true, you can actually see all the blemishes and wrinkles on the faces. It's taking me some time to get used to an LED tv compared to a rear projection. The SOE is driving me crazy and even with the 'smooth motion effect' off, I still feel like I'm in the studio while they're filming. I know i'm just going to have to get used to it....I'm only 2 weeks in. I still have the XBR 2 and wondering if I should try and get an OB from eBay and "hope" it will work, OR just call it a loss and sell it on Craigslist for $100. Any insights? Are the parts worth anything?
post #12046 of 12058 Old 04-27-2014, 11:20 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I talked with the ONLY authorized Sony TV repair facility in The South Florida area and was told OB parts were no longer available. They told me that the replacement of the OB would run 700-900 dollars, but they can't get the parts. So....I'm waiting for the Vizio Reference Series TV's to come out this year. Until then, my KDS-R60XBR2 is totally useless during the day and at night whites are yellow and dark pictures scense are just black. BTW...Sony told me to throw the TV in the garbage and buy a new one. No support, no parts, no nothin'
post #12047 of 12058 Old 04-27-2014, 03:57 PM

If true, this is just one more reason to never buy another Sony product. I've been putting away money for the day my set goes.
post #12048 of 12058 Old 05-02-2014, 11:50 AM

Anyone have an extra bulb to sell? It's time for a new one in my 70". Thanks.
post #12049 of 12058 Old 05-02-2014, 04:07 PM

for what it's worth...

I just bought an O.B. from Tri-State Module.... have had the green tint issue for a month on my 2006 60" XBR2. They had 1 more as of Wed.

Swapped it out last night... took me about 4 hours taking my time, labeling everything, taking pics in spots I needed to remember how wires were routed, etc.

I have my "core" now sitting here. Don't know what the heck to do with it now.

If you have questions, let me know.
post #12050 of 12058 Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1 View Post

Anyone have an extra bulb to sell? It's time for a new one in my 70". Thanks.

So I ordered from Amazon what was listed as OEM Sony (Sony F-9308-870-0 Lamp Assembly Xl5300 Oem Original Part F93088700 by Exclusivebulbs). What was delivered was one of the generic bulbs, not OEM. To their slight credit, they said they would refund my return shipping and supply the proper one.

However, they refunded my entire purchase+return shipping. I posted a review entitled, Beware Bait and Switch and emailed Exclusivebulbs that "I assume you do not even carry the Sony OEM." We'll see.

And I received it the day before the CBS Morning News report on precisely these kind of substitutions happening at Amazon. Looking for another vendor now. Any suggestions of a trustworthy one, hopefully not Sony at $300+?
post #12051 of 12058 Old 05-16-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1 View Post

Any suggestions of a trustworthy one, hopefully not Sony at $300+?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/eld/4473516733.html
post #12052 of 12058 Old 05-23-2014, 02:53 PM

I have an XR2 60 that recently started going slightly green. Bought back in Nov 2006.

I never changed the bulb. I have the replacement bulb in its original box.
What would be a reasonable price I could ask for it?
I have never opened the box, I can sell it as is or I can install it in the TV to test it.
post #12053 of 12058 Old 05-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejuand View Post

I have an XR2 60 that recently started going slightly green. Bought back in Nov 2006.

I never changed the bulb. I have the replacement bulb in its original box.
What would be a reasonable price I could ask for it?
I have never opened the box, I can sell it as is or I can install it in the TV to test it.

Install the replacement lamp and see what the tv looks like, to ensure that the effect that you are seeing is not just a failing lamp.

If it has really gone green in typical failure mode, $100-150. (Assuming you mean the whole tv + new lamp.)
post #12054 of 12058 Old 06-25-2014, 05:58 PM

Do I misunderstand -- I thought you sent in your optical block, and they repair it. You don't buy an entirely new optical block..

Has anyone used Robert Millar on ebay (user robertm19632012 )? Or is Tri State Module the preferred repair service ? the Ebay user is charging $270 -- you send in your block and they repair it.

regards,
post #12055 of 12058 Old 07-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Liked: 0
Smile Robert Millar is Legit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawrence View Post
Do I misunderstand -- I thought you sent in your optical block, and they repair it. You don't buy an entirely new optical block..

Has anyone used Robert Millar on ebayuser robertm19632012 ) (? Or is Tri State Module the preferred repair service ? the Ebay user is charging $270 -- you send in your block and they repair it.

regards,
Both my brother and I have used Robert Millar (user robertm19632012). His work is phenomenal! It was like our TV was brand new again.
My brother went through Tri State Module the first time and the picture on his TV was only improved for about a month. He sent the same light engine to Robert Millar and it came back like it was brand new.

I would highly recommend him. I will use him again if there are any problems in the future.
post #12056 of 12058 Old 08-30-2014, 01:03 AM

Hi All - my 70" set has been out of commission for quite some time now. Just got the repaired OB back this week and hooked it all up. Color seems to be restored but I'm having trouble with the projected image. It appears to be hitting ~2" below the top of the screen. Does that mean that the lens is not aligned properly maybe? Anything I can do to adjust the vertical location of the projected image short of taking it all back apart to get at the OB again?

I've checked out the Service Menu but that didn't help since the issue is with the physical location of the projection. I also used the adjustment screws on the front of the TV under the screen (connected to the light engine). I was able to move the image up ~0.25" but the image is so far off this feels like I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help.
post #12057 of 12058 Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 AM

Greetings. Since mine is still working I thought I would try to help!
My OB was replaced a long time ago and initially the image was not centered correctly. I remember the tech adjusting the image location by adjusting/loosening some screws from the front of the unit (of course with the panels off, etc...). Sorry I cannot be more precise but hopefully someone can post the details.

It might be buried in the thread somewhere....

I am holding my breathe as my bulb is "nearing the end of its useful life". And I know once you put in a new bulb, you appear to be on borrowed time with your OB.

Not sure if you are comfortable in the service menu but 28 V_Cent is the "Vertical screen adjustment". 29 is "horizontal screen alignment". But please do not go in there if you are not comfortable. Some people that were casual service menu users messed up their TV's going into the XBR's.

That being said, I know in my OB replacement case it was adjusted physically and not in the SM.

Good luck.
BJB

BJB
post #12058 of 12058 Old 08-30-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean22 View Post
Hi All - my 70" set has been out of commission for quite some time now. Just got the repaired OB back this week and hooked it all up. Color seems to be restored but I'm having trouble with the projected image. It appears to be hitting ~2" below the top of the screen. Does that mean that the lens is not aligned properly maybe? Anything I can do to adjust the vertical location of the projected image short of taking it all back apart to get at the OB again?

I've checked out the Service Menu but that didn't help since the issue is with the physical location of the projection. I also used the adjustment screws on the front of the TV under the screen (connected to the light engine). I was able to move the image up ~0.25" but the image is so far off this feels like I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help.
The projection is not going to be perfect. There will always be a little about of image projected onto the frame inside of the display, the idea is to minimize it, but it will not be removed. You could try to shift the R,G,B channels in the service menu, but again not perfect. These SXRD sets aren't the best and never were, but in comparison to projection sets of the 1980's, different story. Optics are very expensive, and the optics in these sets are 2nd rate. Just do you best so the menus top and bottom aren't cut off and put up the alignment grid to assist alignment to the outside bezel. Use a tape measure and measure from the center of the alignment grid to the bezel. Keep it as close to symmetrical as possible. I cannot tell you what to do as far as which menu's to use, only because I want people to figure things out for themselves.

Best of luck on the set.

Equipment now:
Sony KDS-R60XBR2 (modified optics block)
Sony BDP-BX2
Sony SLV-M91HF
Sony KE-42TS2U (Gave it to mom)
Sony STR-D590
Interconnects:
All Philips PXT1000 series cables (Some people don't like them but they work well for me)
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page