Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 403 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #12061 of 12088 Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
five red blinks

This thread helped me replace my OB about 5 years ago...thanks for that... but now I have a new problem. No picture, no sound, just 5 red blinks. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 12088 Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ250 View Post
This thread helped me replace my OB about 5 years ago...thanks for that... but now I have a new problem. No picture, no sound, just 5 red blinks. Any suggestions?
Five red XBR2 means "lamp driver bad", aka ballast.

Fault indications in any set with a lamp are not always reliable in the case of "bad lamp" or "bad ballast". That's because all that lies between the two is a ~5KV pair of wires that are very difficult to monitor with 5v digital electronics.

As always, start with a physical inspection of the lamp. Consider what make of lamp it is and how many approximate hours are on it.
post #12063 of 12088 Old 10-14-2014, 08:33 PM

Chuck,

You seem knowledgeable about the bulbs in these sets. Have you seen a correlation between putting in a new bulb and hastening the failure of an OB?

As I said earlier, I have held off putting a new one in as I thought I recalled from years ago that it seemed to be the case.

Thanks,

BJBBJB
post #12064 of 12088 Old 10-15-2014, 05:36 PM

I can say that in my personal experience with my XBR2 that I had excellent picture for 3 years, above average for the next 2 years, then replaced my bulb, picture went back to excellent for 1 week and then I developed the green globs. Had to replace the OB at that point. Picture went back to excellent...until recent lightning strike.
post #12065 of 12088 Old 10-20-2014, 03:29 PM

I have checked numerous online sites for the ballast. Part # 1-474-010-11 and all say out of stock. Anyone have an idea? I'd like to repair my TV instead of buying a new one. Thanks,
post #12066 of 12088 Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a problem with 1080p input that I wonder if anyone has a solution for. About 2 yrs ago I had the optical block refurbished by John Breton. Similar experience to most here: several months waiting (about 6) but I finally got it back and installed it. I wasn't too upset because I had previously called Sony and got the discounted Sony 65in LCD set which is great. However I still use the XBR2 70 quite a bit in a different room. The 1080i input has a feature that you can disable, DRC. The DRC processing creates very strange screen artifacts with extensive color "smearing" (hard to describe) but basically the image is unwatchable. Turning off the DRC clears that right up and the image is actually pretty great. However in 1080p mode I get the same artifact caused by the DRC processing but there is no option to turn it off. Does anyone know a fix for this ie in the service menu or something? The set is watchable in 1080i and I don't want to brick it. I thought the 1080p mode is supposed to bypass that. I tried game mode but that doesn't clear it up either.
post #12067 of 12088 Old 12-22-2014, 12:47 PM

Liked: 11
EDIT: Wrong thread. Sorry.

Steven Benson
Minnesota Home Theater User Group (MNHTUG)
Yahoogroups | Facebook

Last edited by bensons; 12-22-2014 at 05:51 PM.
post #12068 of 12088 Old 01-12-2015, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't imagine I will get much help at this late date.....but I am desperate.

I have a KDS-R70XBR2. The power went out the other night. When the power returned, to my horror, there was no picture. You can tell the lamp is lighting, but there is absolutely no picture, no menus, nothing...... There are no error codes or red LED's. When I turn on the TV, the green Power LED goes through it's normal warm up sequence, and lights solid green like everything is normal, but there is no picture whatsoever.

I replaced the lamp with a new one to be sure, and you can tell the lamp lights, but there is no picture.

If anyone has any idea what might be wrong with the set, I am BEGGING you to please share any knowledge you may have. I am sick over this.....
post #12069 of 12088 Old 01-12-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey73 View Post
I don't imagine I will get much help at this late date.....but I am desperate.

I have a KDS-R70XBR2. The power went out the other night. When the power returned, to my horror, there was no picture. You can tell the lamp is lighting, but there is absolutely no picture, no menus, nothing...... There are no error codes or red LED's. When I turn on the TV, the green Power LED goes through it's normal warm up sequence, and lights solid green like everything is normal, but there is no picture whatsoever.

I replaced the lamp with a new one to be sure, and you can tell the lamp lights, but there is no picture.

If anyone has any idea what might be wrong with the set, I am BEGGING you to please share any knowledge you may have. I am sick over this.....
Possibly simple...

Did you check that the set didn't change to a different, unused source from what you normally use? BTW, that's why I've had a backup battery on my Sony since just about Day 1.
post #12070 of 12088 Old 01-12-2015, 05:22 PM

First, I would like to sincerely thank you for your reply. I genuinely appreciate it more than you can imagine. (For the record, I did have an expensive 1500 watt UPS with voltage regulation on the television since it was new. Well, two actually....I bought two , the first one died, so I pulled one from my work computer, and that one also died very recently. The UPS was yet another defective product design, that was later updated because of an abysmal failure rate.) I probably only ran it about 14-17 days without the backup when this happened.

Even when switching between sources, I cannot even see the menus on the screen. I switched through the sources...nothing.

I have tried unplugging it overnight, and I tried doing the factory reset by allowing it to warm up to a solid green LED, and then holding on the "up arrow" on the remote while pushing the power button.

Any other suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.
post #12071 of 12088 Old 01-12-2015, 05:42 PM

And I assume there's no sound either, even when changing sources and/or channels? I'm afraid that something may have really fried when the power came back on.

And you have put the fear of God in me - my backup battery died a few weeks ago, and I haven't replaced it yet.

I would try Sony "support," too. You never know...

Maybe there'll be more responses here, too.

Good luck. Keep posting.
post #12072 of 12088 Old 01-12-2015, 05:53 PM

The speakers are removed. I have never used the sound on it, so I cannot tell. I feel like dying right now. I had no business buying a TV this expensive in the first place, but it is the HUB of our life at home.

Any other suggestions?
post #12073 of 12088 Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 PM

I know what you're saying, on both counts

I bought mine in January of '07 and I know someday I'll have to do something to replace and the odds are it won't be another $5000 or so set. But I have been squirreling away little bits of money for that inevitable day and have close to enough for a large Sharp or Vizio.
post #12074 of 12088 Old 01-12-2015, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
The speakers are removed. I have never used the sound on it, so I cannot tell. I feel like dying right now. I had no business buying a TV this expensive in the first place, but it is the HUB of our life at home.

Any other suggestions?
Don't give up hope. Contact the Sony support to see if they can determine the cause.
Most all on this thread have had the optical block changed. I have had it 4 times. 3 of which were under extended warranty. Have you had it changed? Your issue is not typical of an OB issue, but may-be yours gave up all at once.

Last edited by cdnscg; 01-13-2015 at 08:54 AM.
post #12075 of 12088 Old 01-13-2015, 05:23 AM

I did have the OB replaced under warranty back around 2009. I haven't had any other issues since then other than lamp replacement, which I always did before they died (trying to avoid any problems from letting them actually go out in the TV). I really appreciate the replies!

I would love to hear from anyone who can even suggest where to begin trouble shooting. I have the service manual and a rudimentary grasp of what not to do when troubleshooting electronics.
post #12076 of 12088 Old 01-13-2015, 01:29 PM

Just update anyone reading this.

I was watching some YouTube videos yesterday trying to see if I could even begin to figure out how to troubleshoot the problem without any LED diagnostic codes, or without being able to access any diagnostic menus. I came across some videos from an electronics tech who seems very knowledgeable about these particular TV's. I went to his website and looked around at the info there, and left him a message.

He called me back this morning, and tried to help me begin to troubleshoot the problem based on whatever info I was able to provide. He said that he has never encountered my specific situation yet, but gave me some idea of where to start looking to begin trying to do further troubleshooting.

I cannot say enough about how much I appreciated his help! He spent quite a bit of time trying to walk me through a few steps to start me in the right direction, and directed me toward some of his other videos to familiarize myself with the basic functions of each component of the TV. I can't imagine there are many folks who would put forth this kind of effort to help a total stranger.

All of that being said... I still would love ANY input whatsoever from anybody who might have encountered similar problems with these televisions. Thanks for reading, and again, I really appreciate the feedback from folks who have chimed in thus far!
post #12077 of 12088 Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 PM

I didn't have enough posts yet to paste a link. I wanted to pass on his info here in case anyone else needs future repairs, as he is a huge fan of these TV's and seems thoroughly knowledgeable about them. His website is http://yoursonyrefurb.com/#
post #12078 of 12088 Old 01-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I didn't have enough posts yet to paste a link. I wanted to pass on his info here in case anyone else needs future repairs, as he is a huge fan of these TV's and seems thoroughly knowledgeable about them. His website is http://yoursonyrefurb.com/#
I recall when I had to replace the fan on this tv, it went dark, but I believe there was some flashing lights in the front. Can you hear the fan running without an image? If you want to keep the unit, you might be forced to have Sony certified rep come to take a look. It will cost you the visit fee, but you'll at least have a better idea of whats going on.
post #12079 of 12088 Old 01-13-2015, 02:04 PM

Liked: 20
I have to say I am rather surprised at the loyalty for this TV. I used to have this TV and I went through three OB's before I finally got rid of it. Sony did give me a new TV during the lawsuit but it was not near as nice as the XBR2 so I ended up selling it. The XBR2 I just gave away to charity.

I, too, paid a rather premium price for the set and at the time it did provide an excellent picture. However, nowadays you can get a TV for half the price I paid, better picture and features, which is why I am surprised so many hold on to this set despite the problems encountered. I find it curious, that's all.
post #12080 of 12088 Old 01-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
I have to say I am rather surprised at the loyalty for this TV. I used to have this TV and I went through three OB's before I finally got rid of it. Sony did give me a new TV during the lawsuit but it was not near as nice as the XBR2 so I ended up selling it. The XBR2 I just gave away to charity.

I, too, paid a rather premium price for the set and at the time it did provide an excellent picture. However, nowadays you can get a TV for half the price I paid, better picture and features, which is why I am surprised so many hold on to this set despite the problems encountered. I find it curious, that's all.
I guess many of us are still trying to save the limb, even though it is destined to be cut off eventually. Its all that $$$$$ we paid
post #12081 of 12088 Old 01-13-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I guess many of us are still trying to save the limb, even though it is destined to be cut off eventually. Its all that $$$$$ we paid
Well, part of it is that I don't currently make a fraction of what I once did, and even then it was a crazy amount for me. Second, is that I handbuilt furniture that precisely fits around and encases this television (and I just finished stripping and beginning to re-stain it a different color). Last is that I LOVE the picture on this thing. To me, none of the large format flatscreens I can afford look natural to me.
post #12082 of 12088 Old 01-13-2015, 02:32 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
I know how you feel... I went though that as well. In the end I had to bite the bullet.

I can also understand Trey's situation as well.

Well, good luck with the sets. I hope it continues to do well for you all. I would suggest to slowly save some money for the eventual replacement, however.
post #12083 of 12088 Old 01-22-2015, 01:57 AM

Well I went to look at new TV's today after spending a couple of days doing research. I must say that once I got out and actually looked at all of the flat panels currently available, I am in awe that people are so enamored with LCD sets. Only the very most expensive Sony and Samsung panels didn't give me a headache to view. I just cannot get over the weird motion artifacts and SOE on these sets. I will admit that the colors and resolutions on the newest 4K sets are stunning, however as soon as anything in the frame begins moving, I am quickly reminded that I cannot stand the way LCD sets look in general.

As an interim solution I purchased a Samsung 51" F5300A Plasma at a clearance price. I can live with the darker picture, and no "smart tv" crap. I am sorely disappointed that my first Plasma panel will be my last though. I really, really dislike the LCD TV's.

I am going to try to repair my R70XBR2, and squeeze a couple more years out of it until the OLED 4K tech matures a bit, and the prices come down. Hopefully, I can fix the R70XBR2, and the Samsung Plasma will become my bedroom TV.

I'm still at a loss as to what is wrong with the set. I have torn into it and cleaned and inspected everything except the Optical Block and "C" Board. The tech I referenced a couple posts back suggested that the "C" Board is probably at fault. I am hoping I can send this unit out and have it tested and or replaced, and get it going again.

I had no idea how much I loved the picture on the r70XBR2 until I went out and saw the digitized abominations they are passing off as midrange sets now.

Last edited by Trey73; 01-22-2015 at 03:36 PM.
post #12084 of 12088 Old Today, 02:39 PM
eci

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post

Nowadays you cannot get a TV with "better picture". I still have my OB redone every 2 or 3 years because there is no better alternative other than front projection. The current slate of LCD based TV's are junk when it comes to criteria numeral uno: picture quality. This includes the very best from Samsung and Sony. Worthless "features" such as 240hz OMG SMOOTH MOTION and 3D aren't worth the drastic drop in performance.

Facts are facts. Have an XBR2 calibrated against the very best LCD and the LCD will lose. Fast action sports and response times required of games - no contest. LCoS is superior in every way. Yes it is a shame that the OB has an engineering flaw, but $250 every 3 years for a refurb OB or $5,000 every 3 years for a piece of junk LCD? Easy choice.

Last edited by eci; Today at 02:42 PM.
post #12085 of 12088 Old Today, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post
Nowadays you cannot get a TV with "better picture". I still have my OB redone every 2 or 3 years because there is no better alternative other than front projection. The current slate of LCD based TV's are junk when it comes to criteria numeral uno: picture quality. This includes the very best from Samsung and Sony. Worthless "features" such as 240hz OMG SMOOTH MOTION and 3D aren't worth the drastic drop in performance.

Facts are facts. Have an XBR2 calibrated against the very best LCD and the LCD will lose. Fast action sports and response times required of games - no contest. LCoS is superior in every way. Yes it is a shame that the OB has an engineering flaw, but $250 every 3 years for a refurb OB or $5,000 every 3 years for a piece of junk LCD? Easy choice.
From who do you order a refurb for $250?
post #12086 of 12088 Unread Today, 07:04 PM
eci

Quote:
From who do you order a refurb for $250?
Robert Miller. He refurbs yours obviously. You have to send it in, no cores.
post #12087 of 12088 Unread Today, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post
Robert Miller. He refurbs yours obviously. You have to send it in, no cores.
So what do I watch in the family room while its being fixed?
post #12088 of 12088 Unread Today, 09:19 PM
eci

Try interacting with friends and family?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page