Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 404 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12091 of 12107 Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 AM
eci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
what was the cost?
$275
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12092 of 12107 Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 AM
eci

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
BTW my vertical center is slightly off, even with maximum V_CENT adjusted in the service manual. Any other way to lower the picture? It was like this before I just didn't bother with it. Now that a perfect OB is in I want to make it perfect.
post #12093 of 12107 Old 03-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post
$275
Can you send me the contact info. for future reference?
post #12094 of 12107 Old 04-04-2015, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been away from the forums since I got my Plasma in 2012. Amazingly I still miss my 70 inch XBR2, that TV was awesome (when it worked) and if you're not into 3D I think they are worth repairing. (I even started looking for one again, the plasma just did not do it for me.)

If you're contemplating repairing your XBR OB go for it (but go with Robert M. for the repair).
post #12095 of 12107 Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there an engineering fault with these sets ?
post #12096 of 12107 Old 05-05-2015, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewill View Post
Is there an engineering fault with these sets ?
Yes, the optical blocks fail within 2-4 yrs.
post #12097 of 12107 Old 05-06-2015, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, the optical blocks fail within 2-4 yrs.
not mine!

last night while watching TV we heard a loud POP and the tV went out. This is the original bulb from 2004-2005 (I think). Glad I bought a spare! tossed it in and back in business

Jake
post #12098 of 12107 Old 05-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASS03SVT View Post
not mine!

last night while watching TV we heard a loud POP and the tV went out. This is the original bulb from 2004-2005 (I think). Glad I bought a spare! tossed it in and back in business
Are you saying you have never changed the OB Congratulations. I've changed mine 4 times.
post #12099 of 12107 Old 05-06-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Are you saying you have never changed the OB Congratulations. I've changed mine 4 times.
no never.....I think Ive said it before in this post sometime back also. The message has been on for at least 4 years saying "bulb life is near its end". This TV has been one of my best purchases ever.....10 years

Jake
post #12100 of 12107 Old 05-06-2015, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASS03SVT View Post
no never.....I think Ive said it before in this post sometime back also. The message has been on for at least 4 years saying "bulb life is near its end". This TV has been one of my best purchases ever.....10 years
Only reason it was a best purchase for me was I got to use it for 3 years (although 6 OB replacements) and Sony ended up refunding me Full Purchase Price, Shipping Charges and Extended Warranty Cost.
post #12101 of 12107 Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hoping someone on here can give me some direction. Having an issue with a KDS-R60XBR2 I gave away this weekend not displaying a picture anymore after transport from my house, it was loaded on it's back into a minivan for a short 5 mile ride. When the TV is turned on the power LED flashed green for about 30 seconds (while it warms up) then turns solid green )perfectly normal for the last 8 years). However, the picture is very dark black with a slight blueish tint (basically no picture). No remote control or manual controls on right side of TV bring up a menu. When I look through the air output duct on the read of the TV I can see that the bulb is lighting up. The Power LED is the only LED lit, the Timer and Lamp LEDs are never lit. I swapped the bulb for a known working blub just as an easy test, but the same problem exists.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm wondering if loading it on it's back in the minivan caused something to come loose during transport. Going to continue my searches and looking for the service manual for this model in the meantime. Thanks in advance for any replies!
post #12102 of 12107 Old 05-29-2015, 12:59 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock99 View Post
I have been away from the forums since I got my Plasma in 2012. Amazingly I still miss my 70 inch XBR2, that TV was awesome (when it worked) and if you're not into 3D I think they are worth repairing. (I even started looking for one again, the plasma just did not do it for me.)
Interesting... I replaced mine in 2013 with a Panasonic VT50 (65") after going through 3 OBs and needed a 4th at the time of replacement. A year later I had it ISF calibrated. The resulting picture was amazing and truly made forgetting the XBR2 rather easy. Ironically, the total price for the set with the calibration was still significantly less than what I paid the for the XBR2 alone. Plasma is now gone so I don't know what a suitable replacement would be since LCD/LED sets don't look quite right in comparison.

Perhaps you should consider getting your set calibrated if you have not done so already.
post #12103 of 12107 Old 05-29-2015, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
Interesting... I replaced mine in 2013 with a Panasonic VT50 (65") after going through 3 OBs and needed a 4th at the time of replacement. A year later I had it ISF calibrated. The resulting picture was amazing and truly made forgetting the XBR2 rather easy. Ironically, the total price for the set with the calibration was still significantly less than what I paid the for the XBR2 alone. Plasma is now gone so I don't know what a suitable replacement would be since LCD/LED sets don't look quite right in comparison.

So.....purchased Plasma in 2013
ISF Calibrated Plasma in 2014
Plasma gone in 2015
Sounds worse than the XBR2

As for what you should look for now - of everything on the market today, LG OLED probably the best bet.
post #12104 of 12107 Old 06-03-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
So.....purchased Plasma in 2013
ISF Calibrated Plasma in 2014
Plasma gone in 2015
Sounds worse than the XBR2

As for what you should look for now - of everything on the market today, LG OLED probably the best bet.
Sorry to hear that about your plasma. Major bummer. I hope you fare better in whatever your next purchase will be.
post #12105 of 12107 Old 06-03-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
Only reason it was a best purchase for me was I got to use it for 3 years (although 6 OB replacements) and Sony ended up refunding me Full Purchase Price, Shipping Charges and Extended Warranty Cost.

I find this interesting because it seems Sony handled this differently for different people. I first tried through customer service and had no luck. I then learned of a contact via Facebook but I did not get the same deal you did. I only got a replacement set (Bravia flat panel LCD 65") which was total crap in comparison. I ended up selling it and keeping my XBR2 for another year before I replaced it with the plasma. Maybe it was the fact you went through 6 OB replacements when I went through 3 (at the time I contacted Sony, I needed a 4th replacement). In any event, you really lucked out. If I had gotten the same deal you did, I would have gotten 4000 dollars refunded. Damn.
post #12106 of 12107 Old 06-21-2015, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody here - that preferably lives in Southern California - has any interest in my Sony KDS-R60XBR2 that needs an optical block replaced. In the nutshell, I purchased it in February of 2007 and in mid 2012 it went incredible hulk on me. I debated replacing the OB because I loved the hell out of the picture, but eventually decided to buy a new discounted KDL55HX850 after negotiating with Sony (my extended warranty had expired less than 6 months earlier). You'd think I would have gotten rid of the ol' beast by now but I was attached to it and I ended up sticking it in the hallway and throwing blankets over it. It's been there so long it's like a piece of furniture, but it's time to let it go due to space issues (well, that and my girlfriend is tired of bumping into it).

Anyway, I'm going to make one last concerted effort to find it a new home (and make a few bucks) before being forced to drop it off at some recycling place. If anybody who lives somewhere near Los Angeles has an interest in picking up an old Sony 60" XBR2 in perfect condition including a new bulb (I bought a the bulb when I didn't know it was the OB that was dying), manual, remote etc please contact me. I know I can sell the bulb online - and possibly some of the parts - but I'd prefer to sell the entire thing to someone who is either interested in bringing it back to life or, at least, can use/sell the parts much more easily than I can.

It should be noted that I'm the original owner (I have the receipt) and the TV has lived in a pet free home it's entire life. It's also in superb condition and, other than the OB going, never had any other problems.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions for getting rid of it.

Sincerely,

Steve in North Hollywood
post #12107 of 12107 Old 08-09-2015, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wow....Never knew when starting this thread that there would be so many problems with this series of sets. I must say that Sony sis right by me by sending me a refurbed 65" LCD which I subsequently sold. I then sold my 70XBR2 and bought an LCD which was a minor improvement, especially with my OB going out all the time. Now I have a 70" Sharp Elite and I love it. Hopefully it lasts until either OLED gets cheaper or some other tech comes out that improves PQ.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Yamaha RX-A3050
Martin Logan Spires
Velodyne DD-18 Pair, Seaton Submersive
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page