AVS Forum banner

Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread

2M views 12K replies 1K participants last post by  agustiff 
#1 ·
Ok I started this before without having the set, but I now have a 70XBR2.

Initial impressions, brighter than XBR1 sets (I own a 50XBR1) very clean picture, low noise. The most adjustments on a TV I have ever seen.

Here are the pics :

Set with speakers and extra bulb

Set without speakers and end caps

See less See more
Reactions: agustiff
#10,105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk1987 /forum/post/18582888

...first my tv has been trouble free for about 15000 hrs but in the past month i have noticed a yellow stain on the bottom of the screen going the whole length but its not there all the time it only seems to show up after i have something like a news ticker running along the bottom for a few min but it goes away after 15or 20 min with normal programing also i see very faint vertical lines through out the whole screen there are barely noticeable but its there now i have an extended warranty so i had called the repair guy and they said it was the OB just buy my description over the phone so they are ordering a OB now my problem is i have noticed many people are having problems with replacement OB, do you guys think i have a OB problem because except for the intermittent problems the PQ is still very good i dont want to have it fixed if its some other issue, thanks guys for any help/advice you could give me

That's almost exactly how and when the first OB in my XBR2 started failing. From that point, it didn't take very long before the greenish-yellow blob appeared on the left side of the screen. After that, the problem progressed rapidly. All of this happened very soon after my second lamp replacement.

Of course, the replacement OB is already exhibiting problems a few months later. Sony replaced the OB on December 27 and the picture was back to normal for about 3 months. Then a pinkish-purple blob started on the bottom-right of the screen. That is slowly getting larger and darker.

#10,106 ·
OK, folks...I've gotten my reply from Robert Lax.

Will,

We had another hearing yesterday, which ended with the Judge setting another hearing for Thursday. He was quite interested in all of the letters he has read which have been submitted and entered into the docket.

Regards, Rob

All right team! All of those letters that we sent to Judge Patterson seems to have had a positive effect!!! You gotta love the Internet!

Take that, Sony!

#10,107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by will munshower /forum/post/18583283

we had another hearing yesterday, which ended with the judge setting another hearing for thursday. he was quite interested in all of the letters he has read which have been submitted and entered into the docket.

Yay!!!

#10,108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower /forum/post/18583283

OK, folks...I've gotten my reply from Robert Lax.

Will,

We had another hearing yesterday, which ended with the Judge setting another hearing for Thursday. He was quite interested in all of the letters he has read which have been submitted and entered into the docket.

Regards, Rob

All right team! All of those letters that we sent to Judge Patterson seems to have had a positive effect!!! You gotta love the Internet!

Take that, Sony!

Thank you Will for keeping us updated. I did send a letter to the Judge and I was wondering if anyone in his office had read them. Sounds like they did.

#10,110 ·

Quote:

...All right team! All of those letters that we sent to Judge Patterson seems to have had a positive effect!!! You gotta love the Internet!...

Hopefully, that is the case. As a reminder, please see my Class Action Lawsuits page for documents from the case, copies of my letters, and instructions on how to file your own.

#10,111 ·

Quote:

It's Thursday. Any word on the hearing?

#10,112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwaters67 /forum/post/18583359

Thank you Will for keeping us updated. I did send a letter to the Judge and I was wondering if anyone in his office had read them. Sounds like they did.

I apologize. I meant to post that I left a message for Rob Lax yesterday. As soon as I hear back, you folks will be the first to know. Regards...Will

Edit: Sorry, I meant to quote cctvtech! I'm on my first cup of coffee...

#10,114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech /forum/post/18595655

It's Thursday. Any word on the hearing?

It is my understanding that the hearing was held yesterday, as scheduled, but that the judge has not yet rendered a decision. Who knows how long that may take. I would think it has to be pretty fast, though, given the timeline of the proposed settlement.

#10,115 ·
What splinke just posted is correct. I just heard back from Counselor Lax. A judgment has not been reached. He did not give me the date that Court would reconvene. He said he will keep me updated.

#10,116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinke /forum/post/18584208

Hopefully, that is the case. As a reminder, please see my Class Action Lawsuits page for documents from the case, copies of my letters, and instructions on how to file your own.

I'm guessing it wouldn't do much good at this point to send a letter?

#10,118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyUSP40 /forum/post/18608514

I'm guessing it wouldn't do much good at this point to send a letter?

I think the judge is currently contemplating a decision on whether to grant preliminary approval of the proposed class action, so a letter may still be useful. And, if the judge decides to grant preliminary approval, the letter could be resubmitted as an official objection, which he would be required to consider in few months when contemplating final approval.

#10,119 ·
just remember, even if it does get approved, if enough owners opt out of the

class action settlement, it may be set aside.

i for one will definitely be opting out.

#10,120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally /forum/post/18612306

just remember, even if it does get approved, if enough owners opt out of the

class action settlement, it may be set aside.

i for one will definitely be opting out.

The crazy thing about these class actions is that class members can either opt out or write a letter objecting to the terms, but they cannot both opt out and object. That is explicitly prohibited. And non-class members (like me) apparently cannot write an objection (that's why I wrote mine before the preliminary approval decision).

#10,122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD /forum/post/18616016

Well opting out IS the objection. The why doesn't really matter (legally), since one would be presumably filing their own individual case, no?

After preliminary approval, the judge still needs to address objections from the class before granting final approval. For example, in the XBR1 class action, one common objection was that the warranty extension was not long enough. Unfortunately, the judge addressed it by saying that Sony had made assurances that they had fixed all of their optical block problems, and that all customers who would suffer from failures would experience them before the new warranty expiration date. But at least the written objections made the judge think about the reasonableness of the terms of the proposed settlement before approving it.

On the other hand, for those who opt out, their reasons must remain unknown, so they could not contribute to the discussion. In fact, one reason to opt out might be that they refuse to be involved in any legal proceeding against such a great company like Sony. :)

In either case, there would probably only be a few dozen to hundred objections and opt outs, like there were in the XBR1 case, because people are generally unaware of what is going on.

#10,123 ·
you opt out and retain your right to pursue a small claims action against

sony using the evidence that splinke has gathered on his site and the declarations file by former sony employee by the authentic class action

attorney. i assume copies of those are available somehow.

one thing i am unclear about, is whether, if the class action is approved

by the court, will it effect owners who bought an extended warranty from

sony? my extended warranty lasts until 11/11, so unless it is somehow

voided by the class action settlment and i don't opt out, i'm still covered for another year and a half?

#10,124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally /forum/post/18618441

you opt out and retain your right to pursue a small claims action against

sony using the evidence that splinke has gathered on his site and the declarations file by former sony employee by the authentic class action

attorney. i assume copies of those are available somehow.

one thing i am unclear about, is whether, if the class action is approved

by the court, will it effect owners who bought an extended warranty from

sony? my extended warranty lasts until 11/11, so unless it is somehow

voided by the class action settlment and i don't opt out, i'm still covered for another year and a half?

Got the impression Sony could buy out the extended warranty (presumably if it was their own) for a few hundred bucks. Recall reading something along those lines a few pages back. So basically we're all SOL if that goes thru; they pretty much throw a few hundred bucks your way the next time your OB fails and/or maybe throw in a few hundred more bucks to wiggle out of your extended warranty (at least for the OB part).

I'm no lawyer, and just recollecting what I read here and what I gathered when I put 2 and 2 together. I suppose I could be wrong. (And this, by the way, is per the Kansas (?) version.)

#10,125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski /forum/post/18618742

Got the impression Sony could buy out the extended warranty (presumably if it was their own) for a few hundred bucks. Recall reading something along those lines a few pages back. So basically we're all SOL if that goes thru; they pretty much throw a few hundred bucks your way the next time your OB fails and/or maybe throw in a few hundred more bucks to wiggle out of your extended warranty (at least for the OB part).

I'm no lawyer, and just recollecting what I read here and what I gathered when I put 2 and 2 together. I suppose I could be wrong. (And this, by the way, is per the Kansas (?) version.)

Honestly, that was my read of splinke's post as well. that all extended warranties independently purchased by owners from sony would be voided

if the pending class action settelment is approved.

One more reason to oppose the settlement or to opt out.

Spent more than 3k for my xbr2 and another $400 for my extended

warranty, and this once previously legendary manufacturer is more

than willing to dump a turd on its owners

Despicable corporate conduct.

Might as well buy american from now on.

if the corps can screw us over, better to have american employees

benefit from such corporate misconduct than the now unethical japanese

corporate operatives.

I know that sounds harsh but that's about where I am.

#10,126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoniankid /forum/post/18619911

Honestly, that was my read of splinke's post as well. that all extended warranties independently purchased by owners from sony would be voided

if the pending class action settelment is approved.

One more reason to oppose the settlement or to opt out.

Spent more than 3k for my xbr2 and another $400 for my extended

warranty, and this once previously legendary manufacturer is more

than willing to dump a turd on its owners

Despicable corporate conduct.

Might as well buy american from now on.

if the corps can screw us over, better to have american employees

benefit from such corporate misconduct than the now unethical japanese

corporate operatives.

I know that sounds harsh but that's about where I am.

Sony is now on my "no buy" list. I purchased my XBR2 in July 2007. The set came with a one year warranty and I purchased a 5 year extended warranty through Sony. I should be covered by a warranty until July 2013. Under the proposed settlement, I would lose all warranty coverage after August 2010. Not acceptable.

#10,127 ·
I'm glad my 5 year extended warranty came from my dealer & not Sony!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.