post #1261 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Ok, I got my new set and it looks fine this time. My settings need tweaked, obviously, since all I've done is pull it out of vivid mode but I'm good to go now. No color abnormalities either. I do need to check the uniformity as I haven't done that yet.

Good to hear good news so far.
Continued success with the replacement.
Let us know.

KT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 11:39 AM

Sorry for another price drop post but anyone else check out JR's price in NYC???

...Wow, looks like I know where I'm headed this weekend!
post #1263 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Sorry for another price drop post but anyone else check out JR's price in NYC???

I hope no one here was foolish enough to pay retail for the 70" ??!! I could see if it had been out a few months now, but we're talking weeks and its $2200 off retail already!! I feel for you gotta have it NOW guys! Maybe your store will price-match (imagine getting a check like that!!), that will almost buy you a PS3 on day one!!

Adults are just kids who owe money
post #1264 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images View Post

Good to hear good news so far.
Continued success with the replacement.
Let us know.

KT

Thanks KT. Also thank you for your settings in the tweaks thread. They are excellent settings as the picture is much improved with them!
post #1265 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 12:05 PM

As much as I love my new TV, I was wondering if my wife noticed a difference. She just IM'd me

"i know you don't like finding Nemo, but the colors are FABULOUS on the tv"

If she is saying that I know I am in the clear. (Unitl Jan 2008 when the bill comes)

--Larry
post #1266 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wow....now it's not gonna be everyone saying the Sony is too expensive now. Now we can just compare sets on a PQ basis alone.

I think with this move this forum will become more crowded. By Xmas we will probably see at least 25-30% off on top of the price cuts. Did someone say: Sony and value together ?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #1267 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

So the VGA port will not accpet 1080p (1920x1080) although the manual says it will and the Component is still rated at the 720P

Hmmm

The component at 720p is NO SURPRISE to me, but the VGA ability to accept a full 1920x1080 was a BIG SELLING feature for me and the main reason I was going toward the sony (but truth be told .. the 1920x1080 via VGA is a BOGUS claim in the manual I downloaded from their site)

DAMN ...... back to the JVC area and more back and forth.

If the Sony price stays a good bit high than the JVC (as it is right now) ... not to sure the Sony will be my pick.

Considering the MSRP for the 70" ($5699) is not much more than the $5000 canadian the 60" XBR2 will cost me.

Just went to Sony Canada and see NO PRICE DROP

Canadian Site
post #1268 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 PM

Awaiting arrival of the 60" today with the overpriced matching stand. I got it out of one of hte places in NY that would not buy from if oyu read the online reviews. But, I ordered on Tuesday and said I needed it by Friday. They said they can do. THe price was absolutely unbeatable.

What am I in store for with the XBR2 with HD cable? I had a Mits 65" and I was seeing rainbow and way to much variation between SD and HD.

Do you ever get used to the ears/speakers?
post #1269 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Though it's not a good a deal as J&R, Belmont TV in DC has some decent prices for the XBR2. DTVCenter won't get their 60" in stock until next Thursday so there probably won't be a price update until then (plus I don't think many retailers are aware of the recent price drops either).

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #1270 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoll View Post

Awaiting arrival of the 60" today with the overpriced matching stand. I got it out of one of hte places in NY that would not buy from if oyu read the online reviews. But, I ordered on Tuesday and said I needed it by Friday. They said they can do. THe price was absolutely unbeatable.

What am I in store for with the XBR2 with HD cable? I had a Mits 65" and I was seeing rainbow and way to much variation between SD and HD.

Do you ever get used to the ears/speakers?

Not everyone dislikes the side speakers. I like them and so does my wife. Some have issues with space also and find the side speakers interfere with cabinet spaace and so forth. I have a stand and plenty of room for the side speakers.
post #1271 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks KT. Also thank you for your settings in the tweaks thread. They are excellent settings as the picture is much improved with them!

Tweak thread! Where?
post #1272 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepBeep6262 View Post

...Wow, looks like I know where I'm headed this weekend!

I'm on the phone now with the B&M I purchased from. If they will match the J&R price, it would be as steal to say the least.

I was told that the salesman who handled my order will call me back. Not a good sign as he was terrible at calling me back and at times never called me back. This reply is sorta making me anxious and I'm going to their website to read their price matching policy. I don't want no stuff.
post #1273 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Tweak thread! Where?

Front page. Owners ONLY thread >>> 60"/70" XBR2 <<< Settings/Tweaks
post #1274 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Ok, I got my new set and it looks fine this time. My settings need tweaked, obviously, since all I've done is pull it out of vivid mode but I'm good to go now. No color abnormalities either. I do need to check the uniformity as I haven't done that yet.

Horrrrraaaaay for pbmpharmacist! Look forward to hearing more of your impressions.
post #1275 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofargone View Post

Horrrrraaaaay for pbmpharmacist! Look forward to hearing more of your impressions.

Well I'm a couple of hours in and I'm very happy. The first thing I did was label my inputs and start changing settings. I tried Aiken Ghoti's settings first but they didn't look so hot to me. Then I changed to KT's settings and I'm very happy thus far with those.

By the way, I checked the uniformity and it's very good. A very, very slight hourglass effect but nothing to fret over and I'm extremely picky. My initial impression is that this set is basically perfect.
post #1276 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_Gee View Post

Right now it is between SONY and JVC (for sure want LCoS technology)

The fact the JVC DOES NOT do 1080p over VGA "OR" component is kind of shying me away. I will pay the extra for the SONY just for this extra feature.

Cheers

Just curious, what's the reason you're not considering Samsung's LED DLP? It will absolutely do 1080p on it's VGA connection and costs just as much as the XBR2. It also has a scaling feature on the PC input to eliminate overscan when fed a 1920x1080 @ 60hz signal.

raab
post #1277 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post

Just curious, what's the reason you're not considering Samsung's LED DLP? It will absolutely do 1080p on it's VGA connection and costs just as much as the XBR2. It also has a scaling feature on the PC input to eliminate overscan when fed a 1920x1080 @ 60hz signal.

raab

Not meaning to answer for the original poster but I did consider the Sammy LED set. BUt when I saw the Sammy LED and the picture quality just wasn't very good. I think it's mostly due to the low contrast. For instance, I saw an HD feed with Nascar-like cars going around a track. There was a part where a white car was directly next to a white background and the car sort of disappeared into the background. I knew when I saw this that this set wasn't for me.

I'm RBE sensitive so I had to at least check out all of the options. I'd recommend reading the CNET reviews of the Sammy LED and JVC 97 sets when you go shopping. Both were rated below the Sony A series sets and we just HAVE to believe that the XBR2 is better than the A series, making it the best RP set around right now!

The only set I'd rather have than the XBR2 is the Pioneer Elite 1080p plasma but then ONLY in a smallish room where you could sit closer AND in a room with excellent light control. With such an extreme price difference and the Pioneer being smaller, I naturally gravitated toward the XBR2.
post #1278 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 01:47 PM

I have a question for those who bought their sets online. When you take shipment, do you set up the TV and turn it on to check it out before you sign for the shipment? This is to check if the units are damaged from transport. Or do you just look at the box if there are any damage to the box, and just sign off.

I want to see what the norm is. I'm set to receive my shipment next Thursday, and I will be getting 2 TV's. And since I bought insurance, I can refuse shipment if needed and won't be charged. I don't want to bother jumping through the hoops when I get it in my house.
post #1279 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkfunk View Post

I have a question for those who bought their sets online. When you take shipment, do you set up the TV and turn it on to check it out before you sign for the shipment? This is to check if the units are damaged from transport. Or do you just look at the box if there are any damage to the box, and just sign off.

I want to see what the norm is. I'm set to receive my shipment next Thursday, and I will be getting 2 TV's. And since I bought insurance, I can refuse shipment if needed and won't be charged. I don't want to bother jumping through the hoops when I get it in my house.

As long as the box is in perfect shape I wouldn't worry to much about it since it's going to take to long for most drivers to hang around while you setup your new TV. But if they set it up for you then you might want to go ahead and turn the thing on. But most people like to at least let their set get to room temperature before turning it on. It puts less stress on the set.
post #1280 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 02:00 PM

I get mine delivered tomorrow and am wondering if they'll stick around until I get the simple stand put together so they can put it on it. The stand shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to put together. So, if they bring the stand up first I could have it about put together by the time they get the TV up here.

So, if I'm paying $45 to have the TV delivered, should I tip the delivery guys too? If so, how much?
post #1281 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd recommend reading the CNET reviews of the Sammy LED and JVC 97 sets when you go shopping.

NEVER NEVER NEVER trust what CNET saids...they are totally clueless.

Joe V.
post #1282 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 02:12 PM

WOW!

Just received my 70" today and set it up. With just a few tweaks, the picture is AWESOME. This is my second HDTV, as I held on to my RCA38310 CRT Tube TV for 5 years because I loved the PQ. This is by far the most impressive picture quality I have ever seen in such a monstrous size.

I intended to buy the 60, but when I saw the 70 in my Sony Style I fell in love. After fearing a loss of PQ by going to such a massive screen, my fears were unfounded.

Incidentally, running Madden '07 @ 1080i through component feed on my XBOX 360 did not produce any visible game lag at all.

I also followed the hints found in this thread, bought an SUG512 stand, and modified it with a Dremmel...worked like a charm. I needed the angled footprint of this stand rather than the linear design of the new one.

Anyway, thanks to everybody here whose posts I have fed upon for months to help guide in making a great decision!

Recovering Format Warrior
Therapy administered daily
by PS3 BR and XA2 HDDVD
post #1283 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 02:14 PM

Oh...and I waited for the delivery guys to plug it in and turn it on before I signed.

It didn't seem to respond at first, and my heart was in my throat . It was fine though.

Recovering Format Warrior
Therapy administered daily
by PS3 BR and XA2 HDDVD
post #1284 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

CNET clueless? Not sure about that statment. They have their weaknesses but do a pretty thorough job on tv reviews, I'm sure other forum members will agree.
post #1285 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post

raab

Thanks Raab ...

I will look into it ... I did not know the new LED models did 1080p

What is the model YOU are talking about ??

I went to their site and they only show the normal DLP sets ... not the LED sets.

Thus they have the Color wheel which I am not keen on at all.

Does it accept TRUE NATIVE 1080p on the VGA, COMPONENT (and of course) HDMI

I worry about the Rainbow effect and color wheel problems

BUT ... I don't want to turn this into a LED DLP thread .... if you don't mind .. PLEASE Private Message me with whatever details you can on the LED DLP sets

I do hear they run cooler and last around 20,000 hours.

I assume after that the USER can change the bult right ???

Anyway, please PM me on the topic.

Thanks
post #1286 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkonen View Post

WOW!

Just received my 70" today and set it up. With just a few tweaks, the picture is AWESOME. This is my second HDTV, as I held on to my RCA38310 CRT Tube TV for 5 years because I loved the PQ. This is by far the most impressive picture quality I have ever seen in such a monstrous size.

I intended to buy the 60, but when I saw the 70 in my Sony Style I fell in love. After fearing a loss of PQ by going to such a massive screen, my fears were unfounded.

Incidentally, running Madden '07 @ 1080i through component feed on my XBOX 360 did not produce any visible game lag at all.

I also followed the hints found in this thread, bought an SUG512 stand, and modified it with a Dremmel...worked like a charm. I needed the angled footprint of this stand rather than the linear design of the new one.

Anyway, thanks to everybody here whose posts I have fed upon for months to help guide in making a great decision!

How far away are you from the set.

I am at 11ft and was thining about a 70"
post #1287 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_Gee View Post

Thanks Raab ...

I will look into it ... I did not know the new LED models did 1080p

What is the model YOU are talking about ??

I went to their site and they only show the normal DLP sets ... not the LED sets.

Thus they have the Color wheel which I am not keen on at all.

Does it accept TRUE NATIVE 1080p on the VGA, COMPONENT (and of course) HDMI

I worry about the Rainbow effect and color wheel problems

BUT ... I don't want to turn this into a LED DLP thread .... if you don't mind .. PLEASE Private Message me with whatever details you can on the LED DLP sets

I do hear they run cooler and last around 20,000 hours.

I assume after that the USER can change the bult right ???

Anyway, please PM me on the topic.

Thanks

Samsung HLS5679....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=709624
post #1288 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

So I guess 56" is the biggest ??

****** !!

But thanks for the link ...

I will go pester them for a bit

post #1289 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydust View Post

I get mine delivered tomorrow and am wondering if they'll stick around until I get the simple stand put together so they can put it on it. The stand shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to put together. So, if they bring the stand up first I could have it about put together by the time they get the TV up here.

So, if I'm paying $45 to have the TV delivered, should I tip the delivery guys too? If so, how much?

Had a call from the store where I bought it. They are going to assemble my stand for me tomorrow on site and then put the TV on it (local store is paying for it). So, that's good.

Also, they told me that the TV will be on sale for $5499 on Wednesday (preferred customer sale) so they are going to go ahead and refund me $500 on it. So, that's good news too!
post #1290 of 12058 Old 10-20-2006, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

I respect your opinion, Joe, but Cnet is far from clueless. They do seem BIASED towards Sony products but then again all of the SXRD products have been well reviewed by everyone!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - V32xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page