Official 2007 Mitsubishi WD-xx73X/WD-xx831 Settings & Tweaks Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 774 Old 11-04-2006, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I do not agree that the colors are fairly accurate OTB. They are about as bad as any set OTB. Here are some plots before and after adjustment for an 831 I did yesterday.

Have you done enough 732s and 831s now to say what you think the predictable differences are (if any) between those two models (as opposed to random variation between individual sets)?

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 774 Old 11-04-2006, 07:04 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcery View Post

Have you done enough 732s and 831s now to say what you think the predictable differences are (if any) between those two models (as opposed to random variation between individual sets)?

I have only seen the one 732, but I have seen several 831's. They were all like the first 831. DLP sets tend to be very consistent unit to unit unless the company alters the software. I expect every 732 will be like the first unless Mitsubishi changes something.

I doubt I will see many 732's. I tend to see many more of the top of line products than the middle of line for obvious reasons.
post #183 of 774 Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do not agree that the colors are fairly accurate OTB. They are about as bad as any set OTB. Here are some plots before and after adjustment for an 831 I did yesterday.

Jeff's findings are pretty typical of what I have seen. The color may look pleasing to many users, but that does not mean it is accurate.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #184 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 08:42 AM

I'm seriously considering the Mits 65831. Leonard has mentioned that he can't find the gamma adjustment. Does gamma need adjustment on these sets? If so, then is it possible?
post #185 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 08:47 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargex View Post

I'm seriously considering the Mits 65831. Leonard has mentioned that he can't find the gamma adjustment. Does gamma need adjustment on these sets? If so, then is it possible?

Gamma may need adjustment and it is possible to correct it to some extent.
post #186 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 09:04 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

post #187 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 09:48 AM

Thanks Jeff, the after curve looks pretty close and much smoother. It looks like this set was pretty far off before you did your magic. I noticed that the contrast ratio went down. Is this an issue, or is it related to the initial high color temperature? This is much lower than the 5465 you acheived on CapnShoot's 732.

Also, the grayscale plot shows RGB. Did you have to adjust the secondary colors, too, for accurate grayscale?
post #188 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 09:56 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Jeff, the after curve looks pretty close and much smoother. It looks like this set was pretty far off before you did your magic. I noticed that the contrast ratio went down. Is this an issue, or is it related to the initial high color temperature?

Calibration is a tradeoff of various factors. The goal is that the image in the end needs to be pleasing and as accurate as possible. Achieving this means numerically sacrificing in certain areas at times. That is where experience comes into play. The light output had to be lowered on this set to achieve a more accurate and pleasing image. However, the light level on this set is still very bright.

This set like almost all of them was not close OTB. The client in this case was not very happy with his 831 before I worked on it. He felt the image in general was worse than his several year old Mits CRT HD RPTV that was also ISF calibrated. I asked him when I was done if he still felt that way. He felt the 831 now was vastly superior to his old CRT set which he still had for comparison.
post #189 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 09:59 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

...Also, the grayscale plot shows RGB. Did you have to adjust the secondary colors, too, for accurate grayscale?

I find the RGB gray scale plot useful for assessing the color error and monitoring linearity. The secondaries will change with gray scale color changes, but the gray scale is not affected by altering the hue of the secondaries with Perfect Tint.
post #190 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 AM

Thanks again. Is there any way to measure and correct things like artifacts, pixelation, motion blur, de-interlacing, etc? I am also considering the HLS-7178 and from your graphs it looks like both sets can be calibrated to give a true and excellent picture, but are the processing issues also correctable and equal for both displays?
post #191 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 10:17 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks again. Is there any way to measure and correct things like artifacts, pixelation, motion blur, etc? I am also considering the HLS-7178 and from your graphs it looks like both sets can be calibrated to give a true and excellent picture, but are the processing issues also correctable and equal for both displays?

This is certainly possible. The HQV disc allows some of this to be numerically determined. I find the best approach is to use a combination of a video generator and source material to determine where a display is deficient. Unfortunately, this tends to require some experience. Once a deficiency is identified then you need to track down the various causes of that problem which are not all display based. Some problems are also in the source and cannot be easily fixed. The better processing will not tend to enhance these problems.

I do not post comparative information as it only leads to heartache.
post #192 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 10:28 AM

Sorry about asking for the comparison. I saw what happened in the A2000 thread and it was disgraceful. I've decided to get an ISF calibration, whichever set I get. How lucky can I get, Sugarland is only an hours drive from Lake Jackson. I'll let you know when I'm ready.
post #193 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 10:34 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Sorry about asking for the comparison. I saw what happened in the A2000 thread and it was disgraceful. I've decided to get an ISF calibration, whichever set I get. How lucky can I get, Sugarland is only an hours drive from Lake Jackson. I'll let you know when I'm ready.

You will not be disappointed.
post #194 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

You will not be disappointed.

Agree - If there's any one left that thinks they can come close to an ISF cal, well..no. Once I had my first, it was forever more part of the cost of the TV.

The good news with these sets is how well it sticks. My last CRT had 3 adjustments in it's life. My last DLP had none over 20 months.

The 831 certainly looks like a fine choice in the current crop. Even my ISF/Sales guy (who's guilty of a Sony fetish for years) likes this over the A2000. I'll probably let him sell me one soon.

Nice thread BTW

E
post #195 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 11:08 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Agree - If there's any one left that thinks they can come close to an ISF cal, well..no. Once I had my first, it was forever more part of the cost of the TV.

People should also be considering an audio calibration as well if they have a surround system. Audio is a huge part of the home theater experience. I have spent a considerable effort developing a service that is very cost effective and high quality that can bring the theater experience home.
post #196 of 774 Old 11-05-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:

People should also be considering an audio calibration as well if they have a surround system. Audio is a huge part of the home theater experience. I have spent a considerable effort developing a service that is very cost effective and high quality that can bring the theater experience home.

oh my god. Is this guy getting his fair share of advertising here or what.

WARNING......color calibration and sound calibration offers from so called professionals is a scam. save your money for food and housing.
post #197 of 774 Old 11-06-2006, 07:49 PM

Since I've had my set I had my color temp set to High, then I changed my SM settings based on JKohn's I changed it to low but my whites are a little yellowish, not crisp white like I used to have, and green looks grayer on MNF. Suggestions? Are there also SM High settings too?

Adults are just kids who owe money
post #198 of 774 Old 11-06-2006, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpetrozelli View Post

Since I've had my set I had my color temp set to High, then I changed my SM settings based on JKohn's I changed it to low but my whites are a little yellowish, not crisp white like I used to have, and green looks grayer on MNF. Suggestions? Are there also SM High settings too?

Try JNeslon's settings ( <-- click link.) I've been using them since last Friday night (with only two changes,) and I now prefer them to what I had been using. I'm about to go update my own settings post (first post in this thread) to reflect my new preferred settings.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #199 of 774 Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 PM

Does anyone know how to connect a xbox 360 to get 1080p through the dvi with the vga cable. i used a vga to dvi adapter, but i don't get a picture. Is it even possible since the 360 is a analog signal? Any help is appreciate. I have a 732
thansk
post #200 of 774 Old 11-08-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know how to connect a xbox 360 to get 1080p through the dvi with the vga cable. i used a vga to dvi adapter, but i don't get a picture. Is it even possible since the 360 is a analog signal? Any help is appreciate. I have a 732

Go to Menu-->Net Command and verify that DVI is set to Analog, not Digital

Adults are just kids who owe money
post #201 of 774 Old 11-09-2006, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not much mention about Netcommand here, but it was one of the early reasons I was interested in Mits in the first place. My wife is remote-a-phobic.

I got my 65831 and it is beautiful. I spent 2 full days playing with all types of wiring and programming but it was worth it.

Cablebox SA8300HD - does need to be set up with component video cables to get best picture - blows me away as to why but I tried both ways. Also part of the problem is that if you hook up an AVR like my Denon 5800 you won't be able to get digital surround sound if the TV is hooked up with the HDMI cable. Ymust enable HDMI audio which defeated the Dolby DIgital audio output. The "bonus" is that component video looks better anyway.

Switching inputs on tv switches AVR perfectly - so far.

Intuitive on-tv menu is easy to grasp for my wife. Its the first time in I don't know how long that I can have one relatively simple remote on the table PLUS have all my equipment completely hidden AND MY WIFE can work the cable, dvd and vcr AND surround sound IF SHE WANTS to.

NETCOMMAND is a GREAT feature! Spend the time to set it up all of the way... Its worth it.

My only problem is that the LIST button on the remote is supposed to be programmable through NETCOMMAND as seen on page 42 of the manual, however, LIST does not exist on the TV menu. It just happens that its necessary if you have the 8300HD because it can then list the recorded program list. That leaves F1 for use as another ENTER key and F2 for A F3 for B and F4 for C buttons. The extra ENTER button is necessary because with my Adelphia Cable menu I must press Guide then Enter to get into the channel list. Once you hit Enter using the Enter button Page Up and Page Down is no longer available and there are too many channels not to be able to page up/down. I do have a call into tech support for it but I'm not hopeful. They told me there are no software updates for these models as of yet.

For the Remote-a-Phobics out there - Have someone help you set up the Netcommand. This remote is actually excellent - It really has the least amount of buttons to cover the most used functions of all of my equipment. Yeah, you will still want occasionally to access extra features of some components but 97.5% of the time I EVEN LOVE IT - and I usually have the original remote for each piece of equipment on the table - NO MORE - and SHE LOVES ME again!
post #202 of 774 Old 11-09-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post

thansk

The spec sheet on mitsubishi website says XX732 will not support 1940X1080 analog resolution over DVI-I input. So VGA cable with VGA to DVI connector will not give you 1080P. XX831 supports this but people have reported washed out colors with this connection somewhere in this thread.

Component video connections will only give you maximum 1080i. So looks like unless Microsoft comes up with HDMI cable we won't get good 1080P even with the upcoming HD-DVD player for XBOX 360.

Experts here can shed more light on this.
post #203 of 774 Old 11-10-2006, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenee326 View Post

Cablebox SA8300HD - does need to be set up with component video cables to get best picture - blows me away as to why but I tried both ways. Also part of the problem is that if you hook up an AVR like my Denon 5800 you won't be able to get digital surround sound if the TV is hooked up with the HDMI cable. Ymust enable HDMI audio which defeated the Dolby DIgital audio output. The "bonus" is that component video looks better anyway.

What did you think was better about the pix, specifically, on the component output of the 8300 vs the HDMI?

If your wife is so remote phobic, I suggest you ditch NetCommand and get a Universal MX350. Far easier to use and more flexible when it comes to automating the operation.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #204 of 774 Old 11-10-2006, 06:55 PM

Folks I can modify all but the following settings is the SM:
3. Ggh 935
4. Grh 904
5. Gbh 1024

What gives?
post #205 of 774 Old 11-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarigaad View Post

Folks I can modify all but the following settings is the SM:
3. Ggh 935
4. Grh 904
5. Gbh 1024

What gives?

Try setting ColorTemp to HIGH before entering the Service Menu?
post #206 of 774 Old 11-10-2006, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You can't modify High Gain settings if your set is on Low Temp setting. Put it on High temp, then you can modify.

Go Duke !
post #207 of 774 Old 11-10-2006, 08:58 PM

Bwall23/Trackman

Thank You --that worked.
post #208 of 774 Old 11-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

gm2376 posted a question on the 360 attachment. I have an xx831 and am struggling with the overscan on the system. The auto position tends to crop some of the image. Where in the service menu, or elsewhere can I set the overscan properties?
post #209 of 774 Old 11-12-2006, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

There are no overscan settings in the SM, only H & V position. You can use the Format options on your remote, but that is all. What input are you using? If you want underscan you have to be using the DVI input IIRC.

post #210 of 774 Old 11-12-2006, 08:17 AM

I know we have adjustments in the SM for the gains for both high and low color temps. How does one go about adjusting the bias values which would affect the darker areas. I can't find anything in the service menu....are there manual controls located inside the set? (have a y57 from CC).
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page