Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1290 Old 12-29-2006, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodnick View Post

I think I read that there should be about 10% brightness from the lume. I was able to mount mine near the top and just aim the filter down so it's easier to turn on / off for myself at night. I have white walls so it reflects pretty easy for me.

I'll play around with mine once it arrives. I decided to go ahead and place an order for it. Being that I'm up here in Canada, the S&H is probably a bit more than what a continental US customer would pay, but I think it still be worth every penny. Thanks again guys for all the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1290 Old 12-30-2006, 09:42 PM

Color Space Settings: Both my STB (Motorola 3416) and my receiver (Denon 2807) have settings for "Color Space" - either YCbCr (YCC) or RGB. I can't find any reference to "Color Space" in the Sony Manual or in a search of this thread.

What should the settings be for the Sony 70" XBR2?

Does it make any difference? I have tried both and can't detect any meaningful difference.

Setup: The 3416 is connected directly to the Sony with an HDMI cable. The 3416 (FW 12.31) won't pass HDMI signals. I am using a Toslink cable from the 3416 to the 2807 for audio - works great.

My Sony DVD is connected to the Denon with an HDMI cable and then the Denon is connected to the 70" XBR2 using HDMI.

Thanks
post #453 of 1290 Old 12-31-2006, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just want to thank aikenghoti for posting his settings. my new [2days] xbr2 looks fantastic on hd sunday ticket. one word of advice: if youre using the directv hd receiver make sure you set it to native format so that the picture doesnt look like ass on this tv. when I activated mine yesterday I could not figure out why the picture looked so bad with the aforementioned settings. going into the box and changing to native made all the difference. now this should suffice until I get some hours on it and have it calibrated.
post #454 of 1290 Old 01-01-2007, 09:07 AM

Hope someone can help me with this problem. Have a Moto 6412 Phase 2. Hooked up DVI to HDMI into my Sony XBR 2 along with audio out LR cables into Sony. Have picture but no audio. Unit works using component cables with audio but I feel the PQ is better with DVI connection. How do I get the sound? Is it the box or TV that is not passing the audio signal?

Has anyone else used input 7 to pass audio for DVI device? Does it work?
post #455 of 1290 Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 AM

Anyone know where we can get the service manual for these TV's? I remember on the 60XBR800 I shelled out the $60 or whatever and then a few weeks later sony made it available as a PDF for free.

I'm posting here in the tweaks thread because the schematics may provide some clues as to the service menu settings. I'm pretty familiar with the service menu of the 60XBR800, and hope some of that knowledge will translate.
post #456 of 1290 Old 01-03-2007, 10:36 AM

Sony Electronics Inc.
World Repair Parts Center
8281 N.W. 107th Terrace
Kansas City, MO 64153
(800)488-7669 (USA)
(816)891-7550

I just ordered one and had it in a few days.
post #457 of 1290 Old 01-03-2007, 03:57 PM

Hi everyone just wanted to ask you guys something... I have downloaded the service manuel for my 60xbr2.... I have noticed that on my left side of the screen the red convergency is off by a hair.

So with the service manuel i did as describe but it adjusts all of the red on the whole screen under HSIFTR.

How can i just adjust the left side only ???

Or what is a good ISF calibration place that can come out and do it for me i live in miami.
post #458 of 1290 Old 01-03-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmorales1 View Post

Hi everyone just wanted to ask you guys something... I have downloaded the service manuel for my 60xbr2.... I have noticed that on my left side of the screen the red convergency is off by a hair.

So with the service manuel i did as describe but it adjusts all of the red on the whole screen under HSIFTR.

Or what is a good ISF calibration place that can come out and do it for me i live in miami.

My understanding is that you can't adjust convergence on the set like you used to with CRT sets, that all you can do is shift each color pixel by pixel across the whole screen.

post #459 of 1290 Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 PM

I have had my 70xbr2 for about 2 months now and I have noticed in the last week that there is some red push across the top and bottom of the screen and a green push in the center. If you divide the screen into thirds (horizontally) each area of color push would equal about 50% of each third of the screen. It is only noticable on white high contrast screens and I also noticed it while I was playing Tiger woods golf on my Xbox360. The grass in the bottom and the clouds in the top thirds of the screen have a red tinge to it. UMR will be calibrating this set on Saturday. Is this something he can deal with or is this an issue Sony should deal with prior to calibration. I have tweaked the set with suggestions found here on the forum and have been thrilled with this set otherwise.

Gary
post #460 of 1290 Old 01-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnelson View Post

I have had my 70xbr2 for about 2 months now and I have noticed in the last week that there is some red push across the top and bottom of the screen and a green push in the center. If you divide the screen into thirds (horizontally) each area of color push would equal about 50% of each third of the screen. It is only noticable on white high contrast screens and I also noticed it while I was playing Tiger woods golf on my Xbox360. The grass in the bottom and the clouds in the top thirds of the screen have a red tinge to it. UMR will be calibrating this set on Saturday. Is this something he can deal with or is this an issue Sony should deal with prior to calibration. I have tweaked the set with suggestions found here on the forum and have been thrilled with this set otherwise.

Gary

I would ask UMR what his thoughts are before he comes out.
post #461 of 1290 Old 01-04-2007, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgolfer View Post

Hope someone can help me with this problem. Have a Moto 6412 Phase 2. Hooked up DVI to HDMI into my Sony XBR 2 along with audio out LR cables into Sony. Have picture but no audio. Unit works using component cables with audio but I feel the PQ is better with DVI connection. How do I get the sound? Is it the box or TV that is not passing the audio signal?

Has anyone else used input 7 to pass audio for DVI device? Does it work?

Are you trying to pass DD 5.1 into the TV? I don't think it's supported. You can only pass in DD stereo. The TV User's Manual references DD 5.1, but that's only as an output when using OTA or CableCard.
post #462 of 1290 Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

Are you trying to pass DD 5.1 into the TV? I don't think it's supported. You can only pass in DD stereo. The TV User's Manual references DD 5.1, but that's only as an output when using OTA or CableCard.

No, just trying to pass plain old stereo audio to the Sony to power the dumbo speakers. The Moto box passes audio using Component cables and input 5 on the Sony. Have tried unsuccessfully to pass audio using Input 7. Have the Moto box dvi output to Sony HDMI input-I'm giving up and going to upgrade the Moto box to 6412 Phase III to pass hdmi-hdmi connection which other users have confirmed passes the audio. Just wondering whether other users out there have an issue with DVI devices and the audio passthrough using Input 7.
post #463 of 1290 Old 01-04-2007, 02:54 PM

I had my 60XBR2 recently calibrated by an ISF tech using the ColorPro Color Analyzer (Sencore), the thing with the suction cup, and have my reports for both HDMI and Component. All of my gray scale color temps (from 10 IRE-100 IRE)went down after calibration. What is the significance here? I assume this is a good thing.

The tech was also able to get all of the "crosshairs" in the box using reference values of x=0.3127 and y=0.329. Pre-calibration was close, but definitely improved after calibration. Significance of this report?

Finally, I was given these results. What do they mean? Do they look right?

Settings:

R gain = 115
G gain = 117
B gain = 62

R bias = 131
G bias = 127
B bias = 132

Sub bright = 142
Sub contrast = 123

I am asking all of this after spending $300 and I am not sure I see a major difference. The tech was here over 3 hours so I feel like I got my monies worth. Any comments are appreciated and please understand I am a novice here but willing to learn. I just need a hug..........

BT
post #464 of 1290 Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtuna View Post

I had my 60XBR2 recently calibrated by an ISF tech using the ColorPro Color Analyzer (Sencore), the thing with the suction cup, and have my reports for both HDMI and Component. All of my gray scale color temps (from 10 IRE-100 IRE)went down after calibration. What is the significance here? I assume this is a good thing.

The tech was also able to get all of the "crosshairs" in the box using reference values of x=0.3127 and y=0.329. Pre-calibration was close, but definitely improved after calibration. Significance of this report?

Finally, I was given these results. What do they mean? Do they look right?

Settings:

R gain = 115
G gain = 117
B gain = 62

R bias = 131
G bias = 127
B bias = 132

Sub bright = 142
Sub contrast = 123

I am asking all of this after spending $300 and I am not sure I see a major difference. The tech was here over 3 hours so I feel like I got my monies worth. Any comments are appreciated and please understand I am a novice here but willing to learn. I just need a hug..........

BT

Who did your calibration?

What color temp did they use?
post #465 of 1290 Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmorales1 View Post

Where did you download the service manual... I've been looking but can't find anything.
post #466 of 1290 Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:

[I am] trying to pass plain old stereo audio to the Sony to power the dumbo speakers. ... Have tried unsuccessfully to pass audio using Input 7. Have the Moto box dvi output to Sony HDMI input. ... Just wondering whether other users out there have an issue with DVI devices and the audio passthrough using Input 7.

I had the same issue with a Samsung DVD-HD841 player with DVI-Digital output.

First, forget HDMI input 7. Since DVI doesn't do audio, your DVI-to-HDMI connection doesn't deliver any to input 7. End of story.

Now read page 24 of the XBR manual, #4 and #7, as applied to HDMI input 8. It purports to provide just what we need through input 8: DVI to HDMI for video, and a special pair of RCA jacks for audio. Problem is: it doesn't work for DVI-Digital sources (the RCA jacks are ignored). I suspect it may work with the venerable DVI-Analog interface, but Sony gets no points from me for not making this clear.

So, unless you are content with component or have a DVI-A interface, you may want an HDMI STB. I now have the HDMI Oppo DV-981HD, which works great on inputs 7 and 8.
post #467 of 1290 Old 01-05-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieWind View Post

I had the same issue with a Samsung DVD-HD841 player with DVI-Digital output.

First, forget HDMI input 7. Since DVI doesn't do audio, your DVI-to-HDMI connection doesn't deliver any to input 7. End of story.

Now read page 24 of the XBR manual, #4 and #7, as applied to HDMI input 8. It purports to provide just what we need through input 8: DVI to HDMI for video, and a special pair of RCA jacks for audio. Problem is: it doesn't work for DVI-Digital sources (the RCA jacks are ignored). I suspect it may work with the venerable DVI-Analog interface, but Sony gets no points from me for not making this clear.

So, unless you are content with component or have a DVI-A interface, you may want an HDMI STB. I now have the HDMI Oppo DV-981HD, which works great on inputs 7 and 8.

Thanks PraireWind,

I am switching out the Moto box to a 6412 P3 with HDMI. Should address my problem.

How is your Oppo 981- Is the PQ better than your other DVD player? Looks like a great unit for $229.
post #468 of 1290 Old 01-05-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Any recommendations for a calibrator located or traveling through New England relatively soon ?

post #469 of 1290 Old 01-06-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:

How is your Oppo 981- Is the PQ better than your other DVD player? Looks like a great unit for $229.

It is a thin, handsome unit with fine PQ. Aside from the DVI issue, my old DVD player was balky and non-Faroudja, so I switched to the Oppo and haven't looked back. It has MultiRegion, PAL->NTSC, SACD, & DV-Audio support, so it stays even when I get a HiDef DVD (after prices have fallen by about $229 ). My only complaint: the XBR2 doesn't support Oppo DVD codes, and the Oppo doesn't support ANY tv/avr codes.
post #470 of 1290 Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 PM
KDH

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnelson View Post

Gary

I hate to see this cause my xbr2 is on the way and you have got xbr1 trouble
I wonder if its just a question of time. And no cal. will not do a thing for you.
post #471 of 1290 Old 01-07-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieWind View Post

My only complaint: the XBR2 doesn't support Oppo DVD codes, and the Oppo doesn't support ANY tv/avr codes.

could you please explain this more?

you have had no hdmi handshake issues?
you don't see any green push?
and you believe the oppo deinterlaces and scales better than the XBR2?

just wondering because i have been considering the oppo981 but haven't seen many reports of anyone using it with our sets.
i currently use a Denon DVD-900. it is progressive but about 8 years old. the picture looks real good but i wonder how much better the oppo would be.

here the specs on my denon:
Progressive Scan featuring DCDi by Faroudja decoding engine 3:2 Pulldown Detection Plays CD/CD-R/CD-RW Discs, *DVD-R Conditionally MP3 Decoder for encoded CD-R/RW Discs (128 or higher kbps recommended) 12-bit, 54-MHz Video DAC Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz Audio DACs 2MB Memory Buffer to decrease layer change pauses or pickup dropouts Selectable 24 bit, 96 kHz PCM output pass-through capability PCM, DD, dts compatible Optical and Coaxial Digital Outputs Component, S-Video and Composite video outputs Passes Below Black(Pluge) for proper Monitor Calibration Picture Zoom Dimensions: 17.1"w x 3"h x 8.3"d

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #472 of 1290 Old 01-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

Received my KDS-R60XBR2 on Jan 2.

Recently, while watching the playoffs and though the image is fantastic the motion artifacts/macro blocking during action was not. IMHO much more than the XBR1

I was currently using DRC Mode 1 with palette options of 1/1 and noise reduction was set at low. I switched DRC to Mode 2 and the picture was terrible. Promptly, I switched to OFF and the picture looked as good as Mode 1? Continued to watch the game and the macro blocking was greatly reduced

I would like to know your assessment of DCR Mode 1 and DRC Off? I honestly, can't see a difference with HD programs. What is the general consensus regarding this setting/tweak.

Here are my current settings based on old eyes and Avia.

These settings reflect the dim lighting in my viewing area. HD is from STB (Cox cable) with HDMI to HDMI connection.

Advanced Iris Low
Picture 70
Brightness 53
Color 43
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm 1
Sharpness 5
Noise Reduction Low or None

DRC Mode - Off for sports Mode 1 everything else

DRC Palette 1/1

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector Off
Gamma Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off

WB
 R-Gain 0
 G-Gain -7
 B-Gain -9
 R-Bias 0
 G-Bias 0
 B-Bias 0

Detail Enhancer Low
Edge Enhancement Off
post #473 of 1290 Old 01-07-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

could you please explain this more?

you have had no hdmi handshake issues?
you don't see any green push?
and you believe the oppo deinterlaces and scales better than the XBR2?

just wondering because i have been considering the oppo981 but haven't seen many reports of anyone using it with our sets.
i currently use a Denon DVD-900. it is progressive but about 8 years old. the picture looks real good but i wonder how much better the oppo would be.

here the specs on my denon:
Progressive Scan featuring DCDi by Faroudja decoding engine 3:2 Pulldown Detection Plays CD/CD-R/CD-RW Discs, *DVD-R Conditionally MP3 Decoder for encoded CD-R/RW Discs (128 or higher kbps recommended) 12-bit, 54-MHz Video DAC Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz Audio DACs 2MB Memory Buffer to decrease layer change pauses or pickup dropouts Selectable 24 bit, 96 kHz PCM output pass-through capability PCM, DD, dts compatible Optical and Coaxial Digital Outputs Component, S-Video and Composite video outputs Passes Below Black(Pluge) for proper Monitor Calibration Picture Zoom Dimensions: 17.1"w x 3"h x 8.3"d

I just got my 60xbr2 last saturday [N Y E] but I wrote oppo asking them about any known issues between the 981 and my tv. here is what they said:

The only known issue is that some people have reported Green Push errors
with the XBR2 display. We have not confirmed this issue, and only
several XBR2 users have witnessed this green push. Likely it is
something that is confined to some rare calibration circumstances.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
453 Ravendale Dr, Suite D
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

its time to stop worrying about stuff and just buy what you want. if it doesnt work for you then return it. by the way I bought the new sony 5200ES receiver to replace an older sony receiver. the 5200ES is the bomb.
post #474 of 1290 Old 01-07-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_b_avs View Post

I just got my 60xbr2 last saturday [N Y E] but I wrote oppo asking them about any known issues between the 981 and my tv. here is what they said:

The only known issue is that some people have reported Green Push errors
with the XBR2 display. We have not confirmed this issue, and only
several XBR2 users have witnessed this green push. Likely it is
something that is confined to some rare calibration circumstances.

Wow. They could have talked about bad fans, dented screens, bright reds, bad focus, etc. - all just normal problems that you have in manufacturing. Instead they bring up something that sounds like the green blob problem from previous models. I'm not sure I've even heard anyone complain about a green push problem on XBR2s. If so, it's certainly no more common than bad fans, etc. Oh well, at least they said it was rare.
post #475 of 1290 Old 01-07-2007, 06:36 PM

I like the fact that this tv has the qam tuner so I can get my locals using just a regular cable connection. my tv is connected to my sony 5200es receiver using hdmi. when I switch the tv to cable I get sound from my directv h20 [fed into the 5200 using hdmi]AND sound from the tv speakers. how do I remedy this so that the tv cable sound is heard by itself? the tv is being used effectively as a monitor since the dtv hd box goes into the 5200 via hdmi, and the picture is fed to the 60xbr2 via another hdmi.
post #476 of 1290 Old 01-07-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like the fact that this tv has the qam tuner so I can get my locals using just a regular cable connection. my tv is connected to my sony 5200es receiver using hdmi. when I switch the tv to cable I get sound from my directv h20 [fed into the 5200 using hdmi]AND sound from the tv speakers. how do I remedy this so that the tv cable sound is heard by itself? the tv is being used effectively as a monitor since the dtv hd box goes into the 5200 via hdmi, and the picture is fed to the 60xbr2 via another hdmi.

You need to use the TV audio out into your 5200 receiver, and then change the input on your receiver.
post #477 of 1290 Old 01-07-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:

You need to use the TV audio out into your 5200 receiver, and then change the input on your receiver.

does this mean I can use the optical out from the the xbr into the receiver and just figure out what input to call it? I currently am using my dtv dvr in the tv/sat input on the receiver. the manual from what I can deduce is pretty stringent in the assignments.
post #478 of 1290 Old 01-07-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

does this mean I can use the optical out from the the xbr into the receiver and just figure out what input to call it? I currently am using my dtv dvr in the tv/sat input on the receiver. the manual from what I can deduce is pretty stringent in the assignments.

Yep, that's right. I use the optical out from the TV to the AR in exactly this way for my Antenna In. I certainly assume it would also work for the Cable In.

BTW, why do you do this? (Maybe you said why earlier. Sorry.) Do you get channels on the cable that you don't get on DirecTV? Usually the analog cable has a really poor picture. OTA may be a much better picture assuming you're in a position to use an antenna.
post #479 of 1290 Old 01-07-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Yep, that's right. I use the optical out from the TV to the AR in exactly this way for my Antenna In. I certainly assume it would also work for the Cable In.

BTW, why do you do this? (Maybe you said why earlier. Sorry.) Do you get channels on the cable that you don't get on DirecTV? Usually the analog cable has a really poor picture. OTA may be a much better picture assuming you're in a position to use an antenna.

well I am using the qam tuner to get my locals in hd for now. comcast may in the future may not allow what I am doing to happen so I am covering myself. furthermore using my guinea pig sony 32 inch bravia 2010 monitor to learn what I should know about the formats I have seen that the ota picture is MUCH better looking than directv even though on the xbr the difference can seem not to be as big. so in effect I am using as much of the xbr's capacity as I can: cable tuner, ota tuner, and so on. until I replace my old crappy speakers I would really like to be able to use the dumbos as faux center channel as I did with my old 53 xbr's internal speakers. I have a TD db8 antenna waiting to be installed on my house as soon as the winegard 39inch mount and channel master 7777 pre amp arrive. so since you have confirmed that the optical out solution will work, what input on your receiver do you use? thanks for the advice.
post #480 of 1290 Old 01-07-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well I am using the qam tuner to get my locals in hd for now. comcast may in the future may not allow what I am doing to happen so I am covering myself. furthermore using my guinea pig sony 32 inch bravia 2010 monitor to learn what I should know about the formats I have seen that the ota picture is MUCH better looking than directv even though on the xbr the difference can seem not to be as big. so in effect I am using as much of the xbr's capacity as I can: cable tuner, ota tuner, and so on. until I replace my old crappy speakers I would really like to be able to use the dumbos as faux center channel as I did with my old 53 xbr's internal speakers. I have a TD db8 antenna waiting to be installed on my house as soon as the winegard 39inch mount and channel master 7777 pre amp arrive. so since you have confirmed that the optical out solution will work, what input on your receiver do you use? thanks for the advice.

I was considering using the dumbo ears as center speakers, but was conviced by others that the timbre would be too different and wouldn't sound right. So I found a stand that would take my center (since it's the same brand and timbre as the front speakers).

I have a Yamaha RX-V1200 receiver, but it doesn't have HDMI inputs. I use it just for audio.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page