Any way to fix a stuck pixel on a dlp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-31-2006, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,
so I have one bright white pixel no my sammy hlp-5085w that starts off small when I first turn on the tv and then gets bigger and brighter as it "warms up" I guess.

I know there are some supposed fixes for lcd's such as applying pressure and running on of those software programs...but any such fixes for dlp's?

Is there any place I could get one of those software programs to run on a tv via dvd perhaps? Or would the pressure technique work here as well?

If anyone has had any luck getting rid of stuck pixel...please let me know as it's driving me crazy and I feel like putting a black of dot of marker on it!
thanks
khurram

SA 8300HD DVR- Time Warner Cable- NYC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-31-2006, 01:00 PM

no. There is a spec that so many stuck pixels are acceptable. If you can see it I wonder if its more then 1.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-31-2006, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I dont know if it's more than one but if it is they are grouped right next to each other...when I first turn on the tv it is very small and hardly noticeable but gets bigger and brighter whithin the first 5 minutes of the tv being on...
and then it is definetly noticeable

SA 8300HD DVR- Time Warner Cable- NYC
post #4 of 8 Old 10-31-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khurram
I dont know if it's more than one but if it is they are grouped right next to each other...when I first turn on the tv it is very small and hardly noticeable but gets bigger and brighter whithin the first 5 minutes of the tv being on...
and then it is definetly noticeable
sounds like more then one. I dont know where I saw the spec. Maybe it was in the Mitsubishi manual. But what you are describing sounds like a warranty repair assumings its under warranty.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
DLP's have no pixels. If there is a white spot, and it remains on all inputs, it could be a stuck mirror and the DLP chip would need to be replaced. That is pretty unusual and not supposed to happen, I don't know what Samsung does, but give them a call and see what the policy is.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444
DLP's have no pixels. If there is a white spot, and it remains on all inputs, it could be a stuck mirror and the DLP chip would need to be replaced. That is pretty unusual and not supposed to happen, I don't know what Samsung does, but give them a call and see what the policy is.
Just to add to mes444's comments:

Your set has a non-wobulated DLP so each mirror is a perfect square (or rectangle?) so you should be able to see if the spot stays exactly within the boundaries of the involved mirror(s). If you get right up close to your screen, with an all blue image, you can see the mirror grid created by the space between each mirror on the DMD chip.

Your bright spot shouldn't be changing sizes if it's caused by a stuck mirror. If it is a stuck mirror the white spot will be "exactly" within the boundaries of one or more mirrors.

There is nothing you can do to fix stuck mirrors. Samsung was replacing light engines or sets when the HLM, HLN, and some non-wobulated HLP models were under warranty. You should be able to count the stuck mirrors if that is what's causing your bright spot.

What Samsung will do after such a long period of time, unless you have an extended warranty, is something I don't know.

If you still feel it's a stuck mirror issue try calling Samsung. The lowest level people will tell you what Samsung's policy is. You will probably have to "politely" ask to be moved up the support chain until you get high enough to find someone who can make an exception for you.

While stuck mirrors have not been a common problem, they do happen. They are fairly easy to see on a non-wobulated 720p set like yours. The 1080p wobulated sets would have to have a mass failure of mirrors for them to be detected.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-31-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
LMAO...that funny. DLP has 2,000,000 of them. Tiny little mirrors 1 micron wide for each pixel. Go to DLP.com and check it out. Other do what your mommy always told you, if you dont know what your talking about, then dont say anything.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-31-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As someone has already pointed out ... I believe some number of stuck mirrors is considered 'normal' depending on the make and model.

Also, in an abstract sense ... DLP's have pixels. Technically, a pixel stands for picture element, and isn't necessarily tied to a particular display technology. And acually, can be used to refer to the smallest unit of a printed image as well.
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page