Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2603 Old 01-07-2007, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisclearman View Post

How can you read this and still go by a Samsung?

Double sided tape and pressure only for the mirrors? Unreal.

Who said anybody is still going to buy a Samsung. I think most people here have already bought one, and is now stuck with that shadow problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagaden View Post

Has heat been ruled out? That could definitely make the adhesive go soft.

In my case the shadow suddenly appeared the morning after our first cold front blew through and the room temp dropped to about 60 degrees. So, I think temperature was a factor in my case.
post #93 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halco View Post

The LE they installed yesterday failed today! No shadow, but it flickers, freezes, half picture frames, streaks and other wierd stuff. All inputs are effected. I turned it off for a while. When I power up it works ok for a few minutes then craters. WTF!

Follow up on the above post. Since it was the weekend and I couldn't call the service company, I decided to take the back off and look for any thing obvious that might be causing the problem. With the back off I fired up the set and waited. No problems, even after several hours. So I put the back on and after about 30 min the picture went nuts. I took it off again and still couldn't see anything that looked suspicious. So I left it off the rest of the weekend and it worked just fine. It could be heat related?
post #94 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 AM

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a problem with their Samsung DLP (HLR6168W) where there is uneven light gradiation. You can only see it on my set when there is a really dark, near black scene. From the left hand side of the set extending to the right about 4 inches there appears to be a slight loss of black level, then it gets darker again for about 8 inches and then again it does brighter. It runs the whole vertical lenght of the TV It appears different then the shadow problem. I am just wondering I should try to get this fixed? Any help would be great.
post #95 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Follow up on the above post. Since it was the weekend and I couldn't call the service company, I decided to take the back off and look for any thing obvious that might be causing the problem. With the back off I fired up the set and waited. No problems, even after several hours. So I put the back on and after about 30 min the picture went nuts. I took it off again and still couldn't see anything that looked suspicious. So I left it off the rest of the weekend and it worked just fine. It could be heat related?

Did you check the cover switch for the door where you replace the lamp?
post #96 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 AM

Yes, its an interlock and unless taped closed the set won't come on. Not the problem.
After running the set all day with the back off everything is perfect. I checked all three fans for operation and they seemed functional, except the lamp fan, which is hard to see when its running. I suspect it could be intermittent. I remember when the tech replaced the back panel it was hung up slightly and after he banged on it, it seated. I didn't chide him with "if it don't fit don't force it" and it seemed ok until several hours of operation and my first problems appeared. I repositioned the dvi cable and other suspected cables and replaced the back panel. So far it's working with no problems. I think the set could use a little more air as things get pretty warm inside. I'm not sure what the symptoms would be if the color wheel motor acts up. It has a pretty hefty heat sink. Having the old light engine is handy for learning the mechanics of the system. There's a hi temp cut out thermostat above the lamp, so it should prevent permanent damage in the event of a fan failure. For those of you who have had your set for a year or more, I recommend removing the back and checking for dust accumulation as there are no air filters. A build up of dust, or cat hair in my case :-) will increase the heat load. If I keep this up Samsung will have to start paying me for technical services!
post #97 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 AM

Aarg! welcome me to the "Samsung Shadow Club"
HLS 5687W purchased in July of 2006. My shadow occurred on the right side of the picture-about an inch wide at the top and tapering down to near zero at the bottom. Shadow appeared after approx. 1100 hrs in Dec. 06.

Excellent service from Samsung and LE replaced within 10 days. AND FWIW, the tech mentioned that the replacement LE was an upgrade from the original apparently designed to reduce or possibly eliminate a reoccurrence! (Supposedly, the part numbers are different if that means anything.)

Now waiting to have the set recalibrated since the colors are now off. And also looking in to an extended warranty for obvious reasons!

Has anyone else been told of the "new and improved" LE's?
post #98 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 10:50 AM

I'm having a customer rep guy coming next monday to fix my HLS 6187W. I'll ask him.
post #99 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theheelz View Post

HLS 5687W purchased in July of 2006. My shadow occurred on the right side of the picture-about an inch wide at the top and tapering down to near zero at the bottom. Shadow appeared after approx. 1100 hrs in Dec. 06.

Excellent service from Samsung and LE replaced within 10 days. AND FWIW, the tech mentioned that the replacement LE was an upgrade from the original apparently designed to reduce or possibly eliminate a reoccurrence! (Supposedly, the part numbers are different if that means anything.)

Now waiting to have the set recalibrated since the colors are now off. And also looking in to an extended warranty for obvious reasons!

You didnt happen to get the new part number did you?
post #100 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreen200 View Post

You didnt happen to get the new part number did you?

Yes: BP96-016408
post #101 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. I supposedly got one. I have about 500hrs on it and alls good (knock on wood).

BTW: Did the tech do the DMD->Digital transfer? If not, you can improve the colors by doing the transfer yourself. If he didn't enter the SM, he didn't do the transfer.
post #102 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar View Post

Yes. I supposedly got one. I have about 500hrs on it and alls good (knock on wood).

BTW: Did the tech do the DMD->Digital transfer? If not, you can improve the colors by doing the transfer yourself. If he didn't enter the SM, he didn't do the transfer.

I had a calibration done 6 weeks BEFORE and the tech preserved the settings from that calibration by transferring data from the old LE to the mainboard and then back to the new LE.

BUT with a new LE which includes a new bulb AND new color wheel, the settings from the earlier calibration have made the color off quite a bit. Eliab of Avical has offered to return to redo the calibration for just a fraction of the inital cost.

I am hopeful that the "new and improved" LE will deliver as planned and I am pleased to learn that others have been informed of this upgrade as well.

At this point all a customer can do is trust that Samsung will do the right thing regarding what now appears to be an obvious design flaw.
post #103 of 2603 Old 01-08-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Maybe theres something on the cover thats blocking the fans? Or when you put on the cover it hits, moves, or smushes some critical parts? I had a problem where my samsung tv displayed a "check fan 02" on the screen and would shut off after 30 minutes.

So I decided to fix the problem myself, believing my fan must have died. To my surpise when I opened up the back cover, the wires coming from the fan got stuck inside the fan blades. The fan's own wires were keeping it from spinning. I just tied up the wires neatly and tucked it away from the blades and now my tv works like new.
post #104 of 2603 Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 AM

Finally we are seeing some encouraging results here.

What I am curious about would be how many owners have NOT had this problem after 6 months to a year of owning their set?

I just got mine in December so now I'm accepting that this will be inevitable for me down the road....hopefully not.
post #105 of 2603 Old 01-09-2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar View Post

The DMD>Digital has been discussed a lot, but have we learned exactly what data is copied. Someone said here that only the CCA primary color values are written to the digital board. Are there any "default" settings in the LE that are fixed in rom? A little more techinal insight here would be helpful.
post #106 of 2603 Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

i bought 2 samsungs, 5668 and 6768 from tvauthority and they were delivered i think august 2005. they must have been from some of the early batches.
so far no problems. no idea how many hours i have on them.

rather be lucky than good.
post #107 of 2603 Old 01-09-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore1 View Post

Finally we are seeing some encouraging results here.

What I am curious about would be how many owners have NOT had this problem after 6 months to a year of owning their set?

I just got mine in December so now I'm accepting that this will be inevitable for me down the road....hopefully not.

I have three friends with Samsung DLP's who have theirs for over two years.

2 HLP series - (+2 years)
1 HLS series - (+1 year)

Never had this problem.
post #108 of 2603 Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore1 View Post

Well mine just started this past weekend and I got my HLR6168 back in Aug of 2005. So I went 16.5 months with no issues. And I would classify myself (and my household) as average TV users/viewers.

BTW, here's an update on my status:

I placed my call to Samsung Customer Service yesterday and after giving all my info and then faxing them my TVAuthority receipt, I am now in wait mode to hear back as to the next step. The Samsung phone rep said that I had a year + 3 free additional months of factory warranty (which would cover me to about the end of November 2006). He then said he would try to have them extend it a few additional weeks (I count 6) to get me covered. We'll see how that goes.
post #109 of 2603 Old 01-09-2007, 05:48 PM
LAV

hello everyone just wanted to know if anyone has seen this angled shadow i am trying to post pic
ps samsung model HLN 5065

thanks in advance
LL
post #110 of 2603 Old 01-09-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjriv12 View Post

I'm having a customer rep guy coming next monday to fix my HLS 6187W. I'll ask him.

I have the same model as you. Please let us know how things go Monday. If you don't mine write down the LE part number, and let me know. I will do the same when mine comes in. We can find out if we are all getting the same parts, and possibly know if some of them are upgraded and some of them are not. My LE is about a week on backorder, so it will be a couple of weeks for me.

Tonight I came home and I now have the double shadow. The very dark shadow from the right side measures 11" on both the top and bottom. Connecting from the 11" dark shadow that just appeared today, is 9" more of the lighter shadow which has grown over the last 3 weeks. I now have 21" total from the right side of my HLS6187W Samsung HDTV covered by the light and dark shadow. It seems that everytime I turned the TV off and it sits off for long periods of time, when I turned it back on, it would always be worst then the day before.

Does anyone know if the shadows will in time cover the entire screen?
post #111 of 2603 Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This problem has been discussed for the last 6 months at AVS. There are lots of posts in the owners thread.

I purchased a HLR-6768 from TVA in Sept. 2005, as did my father-in-law. I had the shadow, but he has not had it yet. It failed in November, I was within the 15 months, fixed in 5 days with a LE swap out. The technician told me that they have a 3% failure rate.

How many of you out of warranty were able to have Samsung repair at their expense? I know from my experience, the repair facility needed authorization from Samsung to cover the repair prior to showing up, or else I had to pay for it. The repairman will show up with a handheld data entry device to record the repair information and transmit it to Samsung.
post #112 of 2603 Old 01-09-2007, 11:05 PM

When you speak to Samsung, they will give you a transaction number. That number will be what is used for the serviceman to get paid by Samsung.
post #113 of 2603 Old 01-10-2007, 03:37 AM

"I have the same model as you. Please let us know how things go Monday. If you don't mine write down the LE part number, and let me know."

You might try to get BOTH part numbers-before and after to verify that the replacement is an upgrade with the "shadow fix".
post #114 of 2603 Old 01-10-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:

"I have the same model as you. Please let us know how things go Monday. If you don't mine write down the LE part number, and let me know."

You might try to get BOTH part numbers-before and after to verify that the replacement is an upgrade with the "shadow fix".

I will share with you my old and new part number as soon as the serviceman comes with my backorder LE. Maybe cjriv12 will read this post again, and share his old and new LE part number with us too.
post #115 of 2603 Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM

Here's a follow up.
I think the new LE is toast. Today, I turned it on and it worked great for a while then picture went to showing only the right half. Left half black! This is the third LE.
I called the local ASC, who only last Friday replaced the LE, and they said they were going to send a request to SS asking for a replacement set. We will see. I haven't heard of anyone actually getting a new set so far. It's a pain in the butt and I am ready for a new one. Maybe Samsung is throwing in the towel on these lemons!
post #116 of 2603 Old 01-10-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Here's a follow up.
I think the new LE is toast. Today, I turned it on and it worked great for a while then picture went to showing only the right half. Left half black! This is the third LE.
I called the local ASC, who only last Friday replaced the LE, and they said they were going to send a request to SS asking for a replacement set. We will see. I haven't heard of anyone actually getting a new set so far. It's a pain in the butt and I am ready for a new one. Maybe Samsung is throwing in the towel on these lemons!

lLet us know what happens, as the info may help us all in the future.
post #117 of 2603 Old 01-10-2007, 12:34 PM

I have a one week old HLS5688W, everything is fine so far, keeping my fingers crossed. I didn't purcahse the extended warranty, however I did purchase the TV on my credit card. It seems that many failures are happening around the 1 year mark... Credit Card companies OFTEN extend warranties of products as long as the product was paid in full on the credit card.

For example, I have a Platinum Visa, and my contract says that Visa *doubles* the Mfr's warranty. If anything happens within that extended warranty, you should contact the Credit Card company to deal with warranty issues.

You guys may want to call or check your CC contracts rather than paying more for extended warranties...

P.S. - This HLS set is a replacement of a perfectly working HLR5067 that I recently sold. The HLR originally had smudges on the screen, and I'm in a no-service zone (but only about 80 miles north of L.A.!) The result was that I got an entirely new set about 3 weeks later. Samsung set up everything through Best Buy (where I originally purchased the HLR), so Best Buy handled the delivery, etc.
post #118 of 2603 Old 01-10-2007, 01:24 PM

Do You mean they didn't take your old HLR5067 back when you received the new set?
post #119 of 2603 Old 01-10-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
In all seriousness, is this a full recall/fix thing yet? I bought my 5687 in June, is it best to extend the warranty? Should I maybe call Samsung in advance and ask if this is a major problem (a defect in manufacturing)?
post #120 of 2603 Old 01-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Do You mean they didn't take your old HLR5067 back when you received the new set?

Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, they took the old one back, however I had to "remind" them as they were waving goodbye after they dropped off the new one. I suppose if I didn't remind them I would either have the pay for the new unit or they would just come back to pick it up. Plus I didn't want the karma
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page