Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 2603 Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyofstaug View Post

Add me as a left side shadow victim - TWICE. Purchased an HLR6168 in January 2006. No problems until after July '07. Developed a shadow about 2" wide down entire left side. Samsumg tech came out and immediately diagnosed light engine/tunnel failure. Part ordered, installed, problem resolved. ($1200 later including service calls.) According to tech, a great guy by the way, the light engine/tunnel/bulb is one part and has to be returned as a unit for them to get their core charge back.

All is well until mid-December 2007. Suddenly I have a 1"wide, and 10" long shadow down left side of screen. Called tech back, he says it is same problem and will order replacement part from Samsung since it is so soon after previous failure.

If he's correct, and I have no doubt he is, that will be the third light engine/tunnel in less than three years. If the TV was $3000 new, which it was, and over $2400 of repair word has been done within two years, that makes the total cost of ownership for this TV just short of $5500. I could have bought three 42" LCD TVs for less than that.

You problem is the light tunnel. It can be fixed with a $50 part and max 2 hrs labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2603 Old 01-05-2008, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTech-South View Post

I also noted that the new bulb lists a life of over 7500 hours. The old bulb was only rated at 5 K.

Interesting
post #1893 of 2603 Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swab35 View Post

A lot of posts are about other models, but the same applied to my HLR5078W model. Instead of buying a new light-tunnel, I just readjusted the loose mirror that was causing the problem.

I have the same model and problem and like to try your solution. When you stated readjusted the loose mirror, can you be more specific? Thanks in advance
post #1894 of 2603 Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM

I am yet another member of the illustrious 'shadow club.'

I have a Samsung HL-S5687W that has a 3" shadow on the right side of the screen.

The TV was *manufactured* in May 2006. The shadow showed up approximately a month ago.

I'll be calling around to service centers in my area tomorrow, but due to my remote location, I may just go for the repair myself.

We'll see.

Thanks to everyone in this thread. It's been a HUGE help.
post #1895 of 2603 Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 AM

I too am having this left shading issue. HL-R6768W. It is about 6" wide right now. How can I sign-up for the class action suit? Any relief from Samsung? I was happy with the product until this showed up.
post #1896 of 2603 Old 01-07-2008, 10:14 AM

Liked: 12
I own a HLR5078W and I'm experiencing the side shadow also. Why are so many people saying the entire engine has to be replaced? Is that what they are being told by the techs. I've read so many posts of people saying it's just the loose mirror and you can buy a replacement light tunnel kit from Samsung, and it's a $50.00 fix. Which one is it?

I don't want a tech coming out and telling me I need to replace the entire engine for $1200 when actually it's a $50.00 part with a little labor.

I have never worked on a t.v. before but I'm starting to get real anxious to order some parts and go for it. Other people have posted that they have had good success doing the repair themselves.

This is really annoying and Samsung isn't doing a damn thing about it. I've been contacted my an attorney involved in the Class action suit and he left me a phone message asking if I wanted to get envolved in in the suit. Whatever that means. I'm sure he's looking for money.

Any thoughts on the best way to repair this problem.
post #1897 of 2603 Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 AM

From what I've read, it appears that the ONLY people getting any Samsung relief are the ones who first experienced problems within the warranty period. My warranty ran out in June '07, problems showed up in August '07, but they don't care. I called them again today to let them know of the formal diagnosis (another $187 down the drain) and was met with the same response - "Your TV is still out of warranty and there is nothing we are going to do for you." At this point I have a $3100 TV that has rung up $2500 in repair bills (so far) in less than 24 months, but Samsung doesn't care.

The Customer Service lady today went on to volunteer that they have a three repair threshold. If your TV has three (warranty) repairs, then they look to replace the unit. However, if your TV is even one month past the warranty, it doesn't matter how many repairs and of what type you incur.

I just contacted the attorneys handling the class action lawsuit against Samsung on their camcorders and referred them to this website to see if there is any merit in a similar action. In the case of the camcorders, the defect was $150. With our TVs, the defect is $1200. Not to minimize the guys with camcorder problems, but just based on the $$$, I would say that our cases are worth pursuing as well.

All I can say is document, document, document in the event there is ever any "payback."
post #1898 of 2603 Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 AM

Well, my HL-R5668W purchased in Aug 05 from TVA has developed the shadow on the right side of the screen. I do have the extended warranty through Repairmaster. After contacting them, they directed me to a semi-local Samsung repair shop for the Light Tunnel repair. Repairmaster did indicate that while they would pay for the repair, they were going to be able to get $'s back from Samsung. Interesting that Samsung seems to treat aftermarket warranty firms better than their direct customers.

After several attempts, I was able to reach someone at the repair shop. He insisted they never replace the Light Tunnel. Instead, it is always the Light Engine. Based on scanning through this forum, regardless of who pays for it, the Light Tunnel seems to be the better way to go. It would seem that resorting to LE replacement opens up a whole other set of problems.

Would you all agree? Should I try to get the repair switched to a shop with a willingness to at least attempt the Light Tunnel replacement?

Lastly, scanning through this forum I got the link to the Samsung Tech bulletin for the HLS series. Is there a similar one that covers the HLR series?

Thanks!
post #1899 of 2603 Old 01-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Arrrggg... count me in, 2 inch shadow down right side.

Tech under extended warranty ("Philips Priority Services") says he wants to do the whole LE, even after I read the thread to him. So, I get to sit back for a couple of weeks and wait for him to show up with the LE and hope it goes smoothly.

That's IF they don't try and take it into the shop for repairs, which he said they might.

Can someone repost the link to the tech bulletin for HLS? I tried the "splodeman.com" link but get a 404. If I get the runaround I can try and do the repair myself, which would suck since I paid for the darn warranty.
post #1900 of 2603 Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 AM

I started to have the LDL issue back in November on my 42" DLP. I noticed it after I got my HD-DVD player. I called Best Buy, where I purchased the extended warranty. It took a month for them to get a rep out to my house to look at the TV. I showed the guy the problem and he looked dumbfounded, so I showed him this forum and said "order the LE". That was 12/12 when he was at my house and for talking with a Best Buy rep on the phone today, he ordered the parts on 12/15/07. She said he ordered a total of four different parts and she only had a tracking # for one of the parts. I asked about their policy pertaining to long downtime, and she said that after 45 days if the parts are still on backorder/not available, then they will give me a "comparable" TV.
We'll see if they take that long to get parts for one, and also if it does take longer then what are they going to give me as a substitute since they no longer make my size TV.

Is the LE in four parts or did this guy order something different?
post #1901 of 2603 Old 01-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Here is the service bulletin that covers the HL-S:

The Bulletin also includes the following warning about attempting repair.

This information is published for experienced repair technicians only and is not intended for use by the public. It does not contain warnings to advise non-technical individuals of possible dangers in attempting to service a product. Only experienced professional technicians should repair products powered by electricity. Any attempt to service or repair the product or products dealt with in this information by anyone else could result in serious injury or death. Information provided in this bulletin is subject to change or update without notice.

light_tunnel_fix.pdf 288.0234375k . file
post #1902 of 2603 Old 01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by akielb View Post

Is the LE in four parts or did this guy order something different?

It comes in one big box. Seen it 3 times already. I don't have the part number for it, though.
post #1903 of 2603 Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Add another one to the list! I have an HL-R6768 that I purchased in Oct '05 when they first came out. I have been very pleased with the set until a couple of days ago. The shadow that I have is on the left side and is about an inch wide at the top and goes to around 3 inches at the bottom. Fortunately I DID buy the four year extended warranty from Circuity City. As soon as I told the repair company what my problem was he told me that it was probably the light tunnel. He is ordering the part and is supposed to fix it early next week. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

Question: Has Samsung not come up with a better way of attaching the mirrors or what? Is it a heat issue? I would have never bought this set if I had known there were this many people having the same problems with these sets.
post #1904 of 2603 Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etincharlestonsc View Post

Add another one to the list! I have an HL-R6768 that I purchased in Oct '05 when they first came out. I have been very pleased with the set until a couple of days ago. The shadow that I have is on the left side and is about an inch wide at the top and goes to around 3 inches at the bottom. Fortunately I DID buy the four year extended warranty from Circuity City. As soon as I told the repair company what my problem was he told me that it was probably the light tunnel. He is ordering the part and is supposed to fix it early next week. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

Question: Has Samsung not come up with a better way of attaching the mirrors or what? Is it a heat issue? I would have never bought this set if I had known there were this many people having the same problems with these sets.

the funny thing is samsung say's there IS no problem!
post #1905 of 2603 Old 01-10-2008, 05:37 PM

I just thinks its simply amazing that with this many people having virtually the same problem that something can't be done about it. Fortunately I did have the warranty, but many folks did not and have spent hundreds and even thousands of dollars on repairs. I had more respect for Samsung before all of this happened. I won't be buying their products again.
post #1906 of 2603 Old 01-11-2008, 12:51 AM

I purchased a HLN437W 4 years ago ... have loved it ... until Nov '07 when a noise resembling a buzz saw started up, followed shortly by dark vertical shadow on the left, which got lighter toward the middle of the screen. Samsung's recommeded repair shop said to replace the color wheel. Part & labor: $390; decided to do it ourselves. Now we have beautiful color on the left where the shadow was and no noise! In place of it we have a lovely shadow on the RIGHT side. Good news ... it's lighter and can see through it. What now? I can't image it's a light engine if the shadow has shifted, but after sitting in front of the computer for over a week listening to other misfortunes and a variety of solutions, I'm about ready to give up. Samsung CS is no help. If only I could talk to a real tech for 5 minutes! We are going to attempt to play with it once again just in case a mirror is loose or some other adjustment can be made. But no light engine replacement. I think I hear of that solution because it's too complicated to fix problems within the engine itself. Who knows... Anyway, I do sympathize with all of us in the same boat. Oh yeah, in looking for a replacement LCD or plasma, most don't come with PIP or DVI input. Can't win... Good luck, everybody!
post #1907 of 2603 Old 01-11-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annruss View Post

I purchased a HLN437W 4 years ago ... have loved it ... until Nov '07 when a noise resembling a buzz saw started up, followed shortly by dark vertical shadow on the left, which got lighter toward the middle of the screen. Samsung's recommeded repair shop said to replace the color wheel. Part & labor: $390; decided to do it ourselves. Now we have beautiful color on the left where the shadow was and no noise! In place of it we have a lovely shadow on the RIGHT side. Good news ... it's lighter and can see through it. What now? I can't image it's a light engine if the shadow has shifted, but after sitting in front of the computer for over a week listening to other misfortunes and a variety of solutions, I'm about ready to give up. Samsung CS is no help. If only I could talk to a real tech for 5 minutes! We are going to attempt to play with it once again just in case a mirror is loose or some other adjustment can be made. But no light engine replacement. I think I hear of that solution because it's too complicated to fix problems within the engine itself. Who knows... Anyway, I do sympathize with all of us in the same boat. Oh yeah, in looking for a replacement LCD or plasma, most don't come with PIP or DVI input. Can't win... Good luck, everybody!

i can tell you that if any thing else go's, this thing's getting put outside. i'm getting tired of the picture anyway. only live feeds look great. (local news or sports). iv'e been eyeing a 58 inch panny plasma. i have the 50 and love it. i'll never buy a samsung tv again.
post #1908 of 2603 Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 AM

Previously a service bulletin that applies to the HLS series. Is the HLR series different?
post #1909 of 2603 Old 01-11-2008, 07:08 AM

Best buy called me yesterday to set up an appointment to install a part. I asked "Well, I just called two days ago to ask about the parts and the person said there were four parts on order and only one had been shipped, and that one wouldn't be received until 1/19. So whats the deal?" the guy says, well it looks like the tech has canceled the order for the other parts. I hope the one part this guy got in is the LE. Otherwise someone at BB is going to get an ass chewin.
post #1910 of 2603 Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

rom....

"...been eyeing a 58 inch panny plasma."

Me too. But the price point was still too high and the LED Samsung RPTV's look great. Almost took home the Panasonic 58 inch plasma though. Tough call as the current models. 700/750, greatly reduced as Panasonic is bringing out the 800/850 models.

Even with the reduction they are still over 1500 dollars more than the LED RPTV's.

Anyway, take a good look at the Samsung's 6189S/87's.

from here on in, i'm only going plasma. i don't have to sit directly in front of it, and i actually like a reflective screen. it makes the picture pop. i really don't think that the led sets look as good as the older hls's with the lamps. you will also see that the picture bows in, becouse they shortend the depth of the tv.
post #1911 of 2603 Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 PM

I received my TV in mid-December, 2005. On December 9, 2007, the problem showed up on the left side of my screen. The dark band is about two inches wide.

I contacted Samsung on December 10 and they told me they would call me back once they researched the issue. They gave me a "transaction number" and asked me to fax in my receipt which I did. Even though my TV was just under two years old, they gave me the impression they would "help".

I called Samsung back on the 12th and explained my issue and told them I had not heard back. They asked me for my transaction number and told me that it did not register in the system. The lady I spoke with told me that she would investigate and call me right back. Uh Oh!

I called Samsung later in the day on the 12th, gave them my new transaction number....and guess what...my new transaction number didn't register in the system. I escalated the issue up two levels, but in the end, they win. I was hoping they would at least help some, but it appears that they will not help. I am assuming this because I haven't heard back from the since, including the phone and their internet site.

I can't justify sinking $1K into the set. I'm pretty good at fixing things, so I plan on attempting to fix it myself. If anyone has any advice for me, I'd love to hear it. I have read some of the posts about people fixing the set themselves, but I haven't come across one yet that I would call wildly successful.

I also can't find a light tunnel for my set on the samsungparts.com site. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
post #1912 of 2603 Old 01-11-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhasko View Post

I received my TV in mid-December, 2005. On December 9, 2007, the problem showed up on the left side of my screen. The dark band is about two inches wide.

I contacted Samsung on December 10 and they told me they would call me back once they researched the issue. They gave me a "transaction number" and asked me to fax in my receipt which I did. Even though my TV was just under two years old, they gave me the impression they would "help".

I called Samsung back on the 12th and explained my issue and told them I had not heard back. They asked me for my transaction number and told me that it did not register in the system. The lady I spoke with told me that she would investigate and call me right back. Uh Oh!

I called Samsung later in the day on the 12th, gave them my new transaction number....and guess what...my new transaction number didn't register in the system. I escalated the issue up two levels, but in the end, they win. I was hoping they would at least help some, but it appears that they will not help. I am assuming this because I haven't heard back from the since, including the phone and their internet site.

I can't justify sinking $1K into the set. I'm pretty good at fixing things, so I plan on attempting to fix it myself. If anyone has any advice for me, I'd love to hear it. I have read some of the posts about people fixing the set themselves, but I haven't come across one yet that I would call wildly successful.

I also can't find a light tunnel for my set on the samsungparts.com site. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

it will cost you somewhere around $350 to have done, including the part (around $60) and it's worth it. someone did post step by step instructions, but let me tell you, i watched the guy do it, and i'd never try it myself.
post #1913 of 2603 Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rommy View Post

you will also see that the picture bows in, becouse they shortend the depth of the tv.

The shortened depth may aggravate it, but the real issue is the front screen is bowed. I had one of the new LED sets, and if I pushed on the corners of the set I could get it to be near close. But once I let go the screen bowed in again and the picture was unacceptable.

The cabinets on the new sets are extremely flimsy.
post #1914 of 2603 Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 PM

The light tunnel/light engine is an assembly. If you go to samsungparts.com and look for it, you see that the repair center gets $350 back once Samsung receives the old (complete) unit back. (Bulb, light engine, light tunnel, all of it.) So, what you pay $1100 retail for, actually "costs" $750. I haven't found a technician yet that knocks the $350 off the bill. I guess they think we don't know what's going on.
post #1915 of 2603 Old 01-12-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtedwards View Post

Previously a service bulletin that applies to the HLS series. Is the HLR series different?

This site has a wealth of info, glad I stumbled across it.

I'm a new member of the shadow club. HLR-4667 WAX/XAA

I'm comfortable attempting the light tunnel repair myself, but had a few questions:

Is part number BP96-01962A correct for my HLR TV?
Does the previous service bulletin posted for the HLS series apply to my HLR TV? If not, how does the process differ?
Any words of wisdom from anyone that has attempted this repair on a similar model?

Thanks!
post #1916 of 2603 Old 01-12-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyofstaug View Post

The light tunnel/light engine is an assembly. If you go to samsungparts.com and look for it, you see that the repair center gets $350 back once Samsung receives the old (complete) unit back. (Bulb, light engine, light tunnel, all of it.) So, what you pay $1100 retail for, actually "costs" $750. I haven't found a technician yet that knocks the $350 off the bill. I guess they think we don't know what's going on.

Actually no, at least not for the HLS. THe light tunnel is a separate part and can be replaced without replacing the entire light engine. I have had it done, seen the tunnel in its plastic bag and watched the tech change it out. Took about 20 minutes total. I forget the part number on the tunnel. He took the old one with him. When he handed it to me one of the mirrors fell out into my hand.

If you are really handy you can acutally remove the light tunnel and reseat the mirror. However, given the cost of the tunnel, I would just get a new one and swap them out. I think I remember reading on here that the part is less than $100.
post #1917 of 2603 Old 01-12-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:

rom....

Anyway, take a good look at the Samsung's 6189S/87's.

It is hard to believe that anyone impacted by this problem and viewing this thread would ever buy another Samsung set. Not me EVER!
post #1918 of 2603 Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 PM
ekk

add me to the list of light tunnel problem i see 2" shadow on the right side a few days ago. luckily i got the protection plan from CC whe i bought it in jun 06. what sucks about the plan is it runs concurrent with manufacture warranty so i only got an extra year of warranty. luckily this happened before my wrranty ran out though (06/08)

CC tech is having the part ordered and hopefully it comes in within a week and replacing it soon.

HLS5087W here.
post #1919 of 2603 Old 01-12-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
romm...

"you will also see that the picture bows in,"

Don't notice any here.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #1920 of 2603 Old 01-12-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:

romm...

"you will also see that the picture bows in,"

Don't notice any here.

you'll notice it with crawlers at the bottom of the screen, or if something rectanglar is put across the top of the screen. the hls series does it too, but not as much.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page