Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satman858 View Post

Why did the serviceman recalibrate you set after changing your LE?

A serviceman will be coming on Weds. to change my LE, so I need to know what I should do.

Should I ask him about a recalibration, after changing the LE?

Please let me know as soon as possible if you could as he comes Weds. morning.

My set was calibrated 2 months earlier and so I asked the tech to preserve the settings. As I understand it, that choice would have worked out great if the original light tunnel assembly had been replaced instead of the entire LE. So I wound up with some settings that were more suited to the former as opposed to the latter.

Fortunately my calibration was done by Eliab and he has offered a redo for a fraction of what a scratch calibration would cost.

There are three things I would recommend that you do on Wednesday:
1. Ask over and over if the repair procedure is an "upgrade" to the original design to avoid a reoccurrence. If he/she does not know, ask them to call someone who does!
2. BEFORE, you let the tech leave, check a variety of inputs, resolutions, and types of scenes to verify that the colors etc. are accurate. Faces were burnt orange and had rings and grey shadows on dimly lit scenes after my replacement.
3. POST your results. The knowledge that we have in common as consumers is our best weapon against the manufacturers who previously relied on our ignorance to keep the upper hand!
(if your LE is replaced, then get BOTH part numbers)

and remember that while the LE shadow problem is unfortunate and an inconvenience at best, we theoretically wind up with an improved MAJOR component in our sets AND a new bulb to boot-good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi, my name is Doug Schiller, I'm the newest member of the shadow club.
Here is my bone chilling story...

I purchased my HLR6168 9/28/05, when theses sets were just released. They were so new that no B&M store had stock, I had to buy online (first regret).

After receiving it about 2 weeks later, I got to enjoy the set for about 3 hours before the picture froze. When I recycled the power, I never saw the display again.

After a panic call to Samsung that night, I felt a little better since they were sending over someone in the next 2 days.
The repair guy came and had the wrong part (DMD?) Since the TV was so new, they had last year's model part labeled wrong.
To make that story short, since they could not get the part, Samsung offered to replace the TV with a new one.
Great news? Well, not with the snail mail way they send it. It took over a month for me to receive the replacement set.
So, I spent $3500 on a TV but had to wait almost 2 months to enjoy it.
The new TV has been working great until last night.
I have been keeping up with my model's thread here and always see the "left side shadow" issue and have been a little concerned.

I watched the entire 2 hour 24 last night, no problem.
I throw in the Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift HDDVD to cap off the night.
I notice in a bright scene, a skinny shadow running up the left side of the set.
My heart sank.
Add me to club.
I bought an extended warranty but I don't look forward to digging out the information.
I have been very happy with the performance of my HLR6168 but I can tell you, this is the last Samsung set I will ever buy.
These TVs should last 5 years without issue (except lamp) for the majority of owners.
With the amount of people that have this problem, probably double then the users that actually post here, this should be a recall/fix it off the warranty but it looks like Sammy just wants this model year to just go away.
I'll update on my warranty repair status. I'm expecting some hurdles.
post #183 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 AM

Sorry to hear about your shadow. Welcome to the club.
I bought my 6768 back in Nov 05. The LE failed, not the shadow, but a dmd chip failure in October 06. They replaced the LE and in November David Abrams calibrated the set. The shadow showed up two weeks later. This time when they replaced the LE, which unfortunately failed three days after installation, I offered to buy my old shadowed LE for their core cost, which was about $300. So I put the old LE back in the set until they come out again! Since I know the light tunnel can be repaired I hope to have two working LE's just in case.

As for what to expect of the ASC technician, when he replaces the LE? First off they will all tell you "it's been fixed". All replacement LE's have been "refurbished". Make sure you have doucumented all of your SM menus. He may not adjust anything beyond Index Delay. If your set was not ISF calibrated before, then do the DMD>Digital routine. Calibrate the Actuator settings and adjust the ring focus. A service manual helps, but searching the AVS threads will tell you almost everything you need. If you are lucky, your technician will do these things.
post #184 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 08:46 AM

Does a new light engine always come with a new bulb? When I first talked to the service rep, I asked him this, and he said no. I've read in this forum that it did. I want to make sure that he doesn't screw me over by taking out the new bulb from the light engine, and replacing it with my old one. I'm sorry... I don't trust anyone
post #185 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 09:22 AM

The LEs come with a new bulb unless something has changed.
post #186 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 09:26 AM

I was told that a new LE was a complete unit with a new bulb, new color wheel, and light tunnel among other components.
post #187 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 PM

After a digital board and 2 LE's it looks like Samsung is going to replace my 6768. I'm expecting a call from their exec dept for the details. I have mixed emotions, since I've really gotten to know this set! It would be replaced with a 2006 model, the HL-S7178, I hope. Fortunately, David Abrams is scheduled to be in the area in late Feb. I will provide the details as soon as I know.
post #188 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theheelz View Post

I was told that a new LE was a complete unit with a new bulb, new color wheel, and light tunnel among other components.

I was told the same thing yesterday by the service tech who is going to replace my LE (that is, if he ever gets a call from Samsung authorizing him to do it). That last remark that I just made tells me my "positive attitude" is wearing off. Maybe I should leave the Forum for awhile.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #189 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM

I think once the ASC asks for a replacement set it usually happens. I don't know what triggers it but, three warranty service calls and a couple of LE's might do the trick. The big question I have, is what kind of a deal are they going to offer me? It just might be more expensive if they pro rate your sets value. And, the cost of my recent ISF calibration is down the drain too.
post #190 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halco View Post

Make sure you have doucumented all of your SM menus. He may not adjust anything beyond Index Delay. If your set was not ISF calibrated before, then do the DMD>Digital routine. Calibrate the Actuator settings and adjust the ring focus. A service manual helps, but searching the AVS threads will tell you almost everything you need. If you are lucky, your technician will do these things.

I bought a open box set from BestBuy. They said that a man returned it after a week because it did not fit in the space he wanted it to go in his house. I would assume it was not ever calibrated. My setting are like they came from BestBuy.

I do not understand any of the things you are saying to do, or to ask the serviceman to help me with. He is coming tomorrow.

So if you would, please try to explain the things to do in simplier terms, as I am a newbie?

I do know from reading that when the LE is replaced, the calibration is changed.

P.S. If there is a link in AVS as to what should be done by the serviceman after changing the LE, new bulb, new color wheel, and light tunnel, I would appreciate it, anyone if they could tell me where that link is.
post #191 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I took a lot of comfort in the following post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9473136

If the service tech told him the repaired light tunnel should remedy the problem, then I would assume a brand new LE should do the trick as well. With a new LE you're getting a new light tunnel.

I too was confused by Halco's suggestion. He may be a DoItYourSelfer and thus feels confident in talking tech talk with the service tech, but the majority of us (I believe) are novices (not "cavemen," but novices ) when it comes to actually repairing our sets which makes us dependent on the technician. In our case we rely on our warranties and on "service after the sale."

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #192 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I took a lot of comfort in the following post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9473136

If the service tech told him the repaired light tunnel should remedy the problem, then I would assume a brand new LE should do the trick as well. With a new LE you're getting a new light tunnel.

I too was confused by Halco's suggestion. He may be a DoItYourSelfer and thus feels confident in talking tech talk with the service tech, but the majority of us (I believe) are novices (not "cavemen," but novices ) when it comes to actually repairing our sets which makes us dependent on the technician. In our case we rely on our warranties and on "service after the sale."

The thing I fear with getting a new LE is, if it really has been truely upgraded. I plan to get part numbers on both the old and new LE, and trying to find out if it is upgraded on my own.
post #193 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theheelz View Post

My set was calibrated 2 months earlier and so I asked the tech to preserve the settings. As I understand it, that choice would have worked out great if the original light tunnel assembly had been replaced instead of the entire LE. So I wound up with some settings that were more suited to the former as opposed to the latter.

Fortunately my calibration was done by Eliab and he has offered a redo for a fraction of what a scratch calibration would cost.

There are three things I would recommend that you do on Wednesday:
1. Ask over and over if the repair procedure is an "upgrade" to the original design to avoid a reoccurrence. If he/she does not know, ask them to call someone who does!
2. BEFORE, you let the tech leave, check a variety of inputs, resolutions, and types of scenes to verify that the colors etc. are accurate. Faces were burnt orange and had rings and grey shadows on dimly lit scenes after my replacement.
3. POST your results. The knowledge that we have in common as consumers is our best weapon against the manufacturers who previously relied on our ignorance to keep the upper hand!
(if your LE is replaced, then get BOTH part numbers)

and remember that while the LE shadow problem is unfortunate and an inconvenience at best, we theoretically wind up with an improved MAJOR component in our sets AND a new bulb to boot-good luck.

Please explain what I need to do, for me to do these things you listed below. I am a newbie.

"BEFORE, you let the tech leave, check a variety of inputs, resolutions, and types of scenes to verify that the colors etc. are accurate. Faces were burnt orange and had rings and grey shadows on dimly lit scenes after my replacement."

P.S. I do plan on getting the old and new LE part number.
post #194 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Please explain what I need to do, for me to do the these you listed below. I am a newbie.

"BEFORE, you let the tech leave, check a variety of inputs, resolutions, and types of scenes to verify that the colors etc. are accurate. Faces were burnt orange and had rings and grey shadows on dimly lit scenes after my replacement."

P.S. I do plan on getting the old and new LE part number.

Pick out the DVD you are most familiar with and check a few scenes in various lighting conditions to see if the colors, focus, geometry is acceptable. then check your cable feed, and also an HD source. (By various lighting conditions i mean some scenes filmed outdoors in natural light contrasted with a scene filmed indoors with low light)
post #195 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 04:45 PM

If your set was never ISF calibrated and the LE is replaced, don't worry about it messing up your settings. Just let the technician do his thing and the picture quality will speak for itself.

My suggestions were primarily aimed at the more adventurous types, like me, who can't leave things alone. Unless you are comfortable taking things apart and learning how to make the adjustments that many have done on this forum please disregard the technical stuff and trust the ASC technician when he repairs your set. The information spread around the AVS forums are very educational and unavailable elsewhere. By sharing our knowledge and experience we all benefit and results in a superior HD picture of a quality that cannot be obtained from any off the shelf display.
post #196 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:

I do not understand any of the things you are saying to do, or to ask the serviceman to help me with. He is coming tomorrow.

So if you would, please try to explain the things to do in simplier terms, as I am a newbie?

I do know from reading that when the LE is replaced, the calibration is changed.

Changing your LE should restore your set to factory defaults. If the service technician replaces a LE, the service manual clearly states that he is to do the following:

1. Check for proper tilt (picture geometry) and ring focus (optical focusing of the lens)
2. Perform the DMD>Digital copy routine. (transfers the factory settings in the new LE to your set)
3. Check Index delay and adjust if necessary. (A timing adjustment that matches the primary colors of the color wheel with the proper color expected by DLP chip) (You can tell if he is doing this if he brings up screen patterns and makes adjustments.)
4. Check Actuator Gain and adjust if necessary. (corrects for jagged line effects and smooths the image)

Since your set was an "open box item" you have no idea what, if any changes were made in the service menu by the previous owner. You might mention that fact to the tech and he could look more closely at the SM settings. However, that said, all technicians are different. You will have to judge his demeanor and temper your suggestions as to not tick him off. A good technician will answer your questions and explain what he has done. Let us know how it went.
post #197 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halco View Post

If your set was never ISF calibrated and the LE is replaced, don't worry about it messing up your settings. Just let the technician do his thing and the picture quality will speak for itself.

My suggestions were primarily aimed at the more adventurous types, like me, who can't leave things alone. Unless you are comfortable taking things apart and learning how to make the adjustments that many have done on this forum please disregard the technical stuff and trust the ASC technician when he repairs your set. The information spread around the AVS forums are very educational and unavailable elsewhere. By sharing our knowledge and experience we all benefit and results in a superior HD picture of a quality that cannot be obtained from any off the shelf display.

Thank you very much Halco for your reply. Maybe after several months of reading, I may want to get adventurous and tackle those adjustments.

I hope you are right about trusting the repairman, because I only have 4 more months left on my Sammy warranty.

P.S. Thank you for your reply too 4theheelz.
post #198 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM

For the last month the shadow has covered over 1/2 the screen. Our ASC has asked twice for a replacement set due to the parts being on back order and it was denied both times because a LE had been found for us. Both times that the Regional Service Manager found LEs for us and refused to replace the set the LEs never were shipped. As far as I can tell it was just an excuse not to replace the set. Moral of the story, don't count of them replacing the set or telling you the truth. From what I have seen they will say anything to get you to wait another week.

Last week we were told they would have a LE for us today, as we have heard many times before. Today we are told they will have one for us on Friday. On Friday my guess is no LE and they will send it back to the RSM for him to replace the set. He has 8 days to make that decision, so 8 days later we will hear he has found us another LE that he will ship 8 days after that........ Who needs TV, I am trapped in the friggin Twilight Zone.

Trust me. Vizio has better picture quality than my Samsung does now!
post #199 of 2603 Old 01-16-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewayneB View Post

For the last month the shadow has covered over 1/2 the screen. Our ASC has asked twice for a replacement set due to the parts being on back order and it was denied both times because a LE had been found for us. Both times that the Regional Service Manager found LEs for us and refused to replace the set the LEs never were shipped. As far as I can tell it was just an excuse not to replace the set. Moral of the story, don't count of them replacing the set or telling you the truth. From what I have seen they will say anything to get you to wait another week.

Last week we were told they would have a LE for us today, as we have heard many times before. Today we are told they will have one for us on Friday. On Friday my guess is no LE and they will send it back to the RSM for him to replace the set. He has 8 days to make that decision, so 8 days later we will hear he has found us another LE that he will ship 8 days after that........ Who needs TV, I am trapped in the friggin Twilight Zone.

Good luck on it getting there Friday. Let us know what happens.
post #200 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:

I feel your Pain Dewyne, but my experience with SS service has been favorable so far. Unless you actually spoke to the ASC's rep, they could be feeding you a line. What model do you have?

If you are brave, why not attempt a tunnel repair yourself? There's pictures here of the assembly and what mgreen200 did to his.
post #201 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 08:18 AM

I just purchased the HL-S5087W in August so I do not want to give them an excuse not to warranty the set. Until yesterday everyone at SS customer care has refused to even send my case to Executive Resolution. Finally yesterday I got a rep that would open another T/A number for the executive team. What they tell me is the Regional Service Manager is GOD at Samsung. I made about 6 calls trying to get a faster decision from the RSM when they told me the second time that it would take a week to get a decision as to whether he would replace the set or repair it. I was told by 3 people there including a supervisor that there in no one they would allow me to escalate the issue to. Their customer care has been pathetic. I have always been a big fan of Samsung products owning everything from their cell phones to the TV. Samsung will be phased out after this experience.

On a positive note. We were having a second problem with the set powering off seemingly when it got warm. That problem has not occurred in the last two weeks.

I am actually on the phone now trying to get through. Yea, wait due to long call volumes then I get disconnected. ARRGGHH!!!
post #202 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 08:55 AM

In another life I was a regional manager for a large Commercial Sound equipment manufactor and company politics pretty much dictate policy. A DM usually has a pretty cushy job and wields power if his sales are meeting quota. Your guy has probably exceeded his returns quota and you are feeling the effects. You probably would never have a chance to meet this guy, unless you ran across him in a noisy Holiday Inn bar. It takes a lot of customer flak to put a DM on the spot. Other factors could be his relations with the ASC contractor. There may be issues between the DM and the ASC and unfortunately, you are the victum. It could be worse dealing with Sony, Mits, or some of the other brands.

Your set should be replaced. Something else is wrong that would cause the thermostatic switch over the lamp to shut her down.
post #203 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 09:32 AM

Well I called in today to inquite about the status of the T/A opened for escalation to the Executive resolution team. The CSR read the file and immediately offered to transfer me to them. I have asked/demanded to have this done about 6-8 times before and been refused till the ticket was opened yesterday. We have probably called Samsung over 30 times in the last 45 days. I was shocked to say the least when he offered. When I got to the Executive resolution desk the nice lady took a minute to glance over my file and said "we are swapping out your set, this has gone on for too long". She further said she would look into why we were refused escalation and there would be some coaching of the people involved.

I have now sent them a copy of my reciept and been told it will take 4-5 days to get the set swapped at our local Circuit City. Sounds like I get cash and can upgrade or maybe go with another brand.

She is the first person I have talked with that left me with some confidence that we will see resolution.

On the new set, whatever it is, I will happily pay for the extended warranty.
post #204 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 AM

DewayneB-good to hear that you are going to get a new set! I hope everything works out. Sounds like you started off with someone having a bad day but eventually got to the right one-disappointing process that you described however.

In the last couple of days we hear that Samsung is in the process of replacing your set and also one for Halco. AND repaired the shadow problem for ILTWTW AFTER the warranty expired. I find this encouraging and hopefully an indication of light without shadows at the end of the tunnel.
post #205 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:

I have now sent them a copy of my reciept and been told it will take 4-5 days to get the set swapped at our local Circuit City. Sounds like I get cash and can upgrade or maybe go with another brand.......

Did you get the impression that you would receive the full amount of your purchase price toward a new set? Since prices have gone down you should be able to upgrade. I'm expecting a call with from them about where to send my papers.
post #206 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 10:44 AM

She said I would get the full purchase price. Of course given my previous experience I will believe it when I see it.
post #207 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 AM

Service rep said my LE was in. He is coming next Monday or Tuesday. I'll keep everyone informed on my progress. BTW... I have an HLR5667w.
post #208 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I was informed today from my service rep that the LE he ordered is now in. He is now waiting for Samsung to call with the authorization for the service. I guess the main holdup in my case is that I am 40 miles away from the service center and Samsung only authorizes service calls up to 25 miles. I was told from a Samsung rep that they authorize the service if the service center agrees to drive the extra miles. My service rep said he would gladly do so, but when he tries to call Samsung to tell them this he gets put on hold and ends up hanging up. The waiting game continues...and the shadow grows!!

post #209 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I was informed today from my service rep that the LE he ordered is now in. He is now waiting for Samsung to call with the authorization for the service. I guess the main holdup in my case is that I am 40 miles away from the service center and Samsung only authorizes service calls up to 25 miles. I was told from a Samsung rep that they authorize the service if the service center agrees to drive the extra miles. My service rep said he would gladly do so, but when he tries to call Samsung to tell them this he gets put on hold and ends up hanging up. The waiting game continues...and the shadow grows!!

I called Samsung and demanded another service center or a new tv last Sat. I have been screwing around with my local service guy for about 5 months. They told me that the nearest one was 39 miles away. I told them I would glady pay him any additional travel charge he wanted. They said that was fine with them as long as the service center wanted to do it. They gave me his name and number. I called him Monday and he said no problem, he would order me a new LE. I got more help from him in 5 minutes than the other guys in 5 months! If I were you I would call Samsung for him and maybe you will get help faster.
post #210 of 2603 Old 01-17-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreen200 View Post

I called Samsung and demanded another service center or a new tv last Sat. I have been screwing around with my local service guy for about 5 months. They told me that the nearest one was 39 miles away. I told them I would glady pay him any additional travel charge he wanted. They said that was fine with them as long as the service center wanted to do it. They gave me his name and number. I called him Monday and he said no problem, he would order me a new LE. I got more help from him in 5 minutes than the other guys in 5 months! If I were you I would call Samsung for him and maybe you will get help faster.

I have called Samung and I actually requested the service center I alluded to in my last post and they have made a note of that. I trust that they will eventually end up calling them. But with every Samsung rep I have talked to they have told me that my service transaction is sitting in a room reserved for customers who live outside of the 25 mile range and that they will get to it as soon as they can. At first they told me it could be up to 10 business days before they call a service center, but the last rep told me it could be up to 14 business days. So, I am at their mercy. The 14th business day will be here in a couple of days and if I haven't heard from them or the service center by then I will contact Samsung and tell them "time's up."

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page