Shadow on left of Samsung DLP screen - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 2603 Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a follow-up to my post on Mar 11, 08 (#2068). After calling Executive Customer Relations (see my previous post) on Tuesday (03/11), a service tech called me on Wednesday (3/12). We discussed the problem and he said he wanted to replace the entire light engine (LE), not just the light tunnel. He said the LE was much easier and quicker and that a light tunnel replacement was a "pain" plus you had to slide the LE in and out a few times to adjust the screws on the tunnel to get it just right. He also said there were dust issues with replacing the just the tunnel. He told me he would request a LE and see if Samsung approved it. The tech called me back a few minutes later and said the LE was approved, but that it was on back order and he had no idea how long it would take to arrive. On Satureday (3/15) the tech again called and said the LE had arrived on Friday via two day shipping (so much for being on back order!!) He wanted to know if he could come out then to do the replacement, to which I agreed. The swap went without problems. The part number of the replacement LE was BP96-01640C. He assumed it was a refurbished unit but I read elsewhere in this thread that rebuilt/refurbished units have an "R" at the end of their part number. Perhaps this "R" information is not standard? Perhaps I received a new unit? At the moment, everything is working fine. Hopefully I won't have any problems with the replacement LE. (I have read here that many people do have problems with failures after only a short period of time). So far, I've been one of the lucky ones in my dealings this time with Samsung. All I can say is call Executive Customer Relations and don't take "no" for an answer (or talk to Courtney--she was awesome).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2603 Old 03-16-2008, 04:01 PM

Could someone please post the direct phone number for Executive Customer Service? Thanks!
post #2073 of 2603 Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeal View Post

Could someone please post the direct phone number for Executive Customer Service? Thanks!

It is 1-800-522-7341.

I also recommend you read my post (#2068) on page 69 of this thread posted on Mar 11, 08.
post #2074 of 2603 Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 AM

TROGNER~~~~~ IT worked. Executive Customer Service was great. I did not even have to speak assertively, all I had to do was be very nice and helpful and it was great!!!! YOU SAVED ME HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS!!!!
post #2075 of 2603 Old 03-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyBaird View Post

Here is my story. I will start by saying I am under warranty so I am one of the lucky ones. My 6168 started a year ago with the light tunnel thing and Warrantech had someone replace it no problems. Well about 3 weeks ago I noticed it was back. My warranty lasts until August 08 so that is good. So the repair people came out and "replaced" the light tunnel. They spent a couple hours working on it and now it will not come on at all.

Any suggestions on what they might have done wrong?

So they called Warrantech and put in a new order. Warrantech called my house and wanted information on what happened. They were pretty rude to my wife, but I guess that is to be expected. I spoke with the people that came out to "fix" my TV and they said they were on hold with Warrentech right now trying to figure out what they want them to do. They told me the new estimate for work was 1200 (light engine, analog and digital board). I was told that Warrentech decided to send this to their tech department to determine to fix it, replace it, or buy out the warranty. So I will not have that decision for 3 to 5 days.

I am curious if anyone else has had this experience and if so, what should I expect from this point on.

Has anyone else had them replace their TV or buy out the warranty?

Thanks
Tracy

I surely did. They ended up buying out the warranty for 1200.00 if I can recall. They didn't want to bother fixing it -- either replace it with a refurb model or buy out. I took the buy out and told Samsung they need to fix it. I was lucky enough to get Samsung to cover everything.

Now, I'm wondering if they fixed this problem with their new line of DLP's coming out this year.

I don't have a signature...
post #2076 of 2603 Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 PM

Hey everyone,

I have the infamous shadow problem on the right side of my HL-S5088WX 50" DLP, purchased in June 2006. As I am out of warranty I am following Trogner's method to get Samsung to replace the LE. I spoke to woman named Amra who was friendly. She told me to first get a "diagnostics report" from a repair shop and then fax it to Samsung ECR along with the "transaction number" that she provided me over the phone. She said that once they have the report they can tell me how they will address the problem.

I called a local repair shop (Atlanta, GA) and was quoted $25 for the diagnostics report if I brought the TV into the store and $75 if the technician had to come out. The guy on the phone was familiar with the problem and he knew a replacement LE would be needed just from my brief description.

I will post again after I have sent in the diagnostics report and heard back from Samsung ECR. One thing that I would recommend to anyone that is contemplating going this route is to have your TV registered with Samsung beforehand. That helped things go a lot quicker with the rep as she already had all my info. Sort of a no-brainer but I figured I'd throw that out there.
post #2077 of 2603 Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Hesley View Post

Hey everyone,

I have the infamous shadow problem on the right side of my HL-S5088WX 50" DLP, purchased in June 2006. As I am out of warranty I am following Trogner's method to get Samsung to replace the LE. I spoke to woman named Amra who was friendly. She told me to first get a "diagnostics report" from a repair shop and then fax it to Samsung ECR along with the "transaction number" that she provided me over the phone. She said that once they have the report they can tell me how they will address the problem.

I called a local repair shop (Atlanta, GA) and was quoted $25 for the diagnostics report if I brought the TV into the store and $75 if the technician had to come out. The guy on the phone was familiar with the problem and he knew a replacement LE would be needed just from my brief description.

I will post again after I have sent in the diagnostics report and heard back from Samsung ECR. One thing that I would recommend to anyone that is contemplating going this route is to have your TV registered with Samsung beforehand. That helped things go a lot quicker with the rep as she already had all my info. Sort of a no-brainer but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Did you call regular customer service or Executive Customer Relations? Amra is giving you a run around. My TV was out of warranty (purchased 06-06) and I didn't have to obtain a diagnostics report (nor did dwa04--see his post above). I called Executive Customer Relations (ECR) and just told them I had the "dreaded shadow" problem and that due to reading AVS Forum, I knew it was a common failure. Courtney (who I spoke with) didn't question a thing or ask me to describe the problem further, etc. She just said she would extend my warranty and place a service order with a local repair tech. She gave me the service order number and the next day the tech called me. After a brief conversation, the tech told me he would order a LE and call me when it arrived to arrange installation. I would call ECR back and tell them a tech doesn't need to see the TV to do a diagnostic report; that based upon your conversation with him and the information you learned from this site, the problem has been correctly identified. Good luck. PS: In addition to Courtney, I've also read here that Jennfier at ECR is also very helpful.
post #2078 of 2603 Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 AM

I called Executive Customer Relations first. She asked me if I had spoken to anyone else before her and I said no. It sounded like she knew that they would repair it, just needed to follow protocol to get it done. But I will call them back and tell them I don't need diagnostics. I know the problem, they know the problem, and the repair guy knew the problem after 5 seconds over the phone. It would be a waste of time and money indeed. Thanks Trogner.
post #2079 of 2603 Old 03-22-2008, 05:59 AM

Liked: 11
I'm going to go through my extended warranty. The repair service has the part on order... we're still waiting. Hopefully it will be in this week.
post #2080 of 2603 Old 03-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Just finished replacing the light tunnel on my HLR6168. I had a problem with the alignment adjustment. After matching the original light tunnel alignment by tightening the screws the same number of turns I had loosened them, I needed to do some horizontal adjustment. I removed the light engine and loosened the horizontal alignment screw about 8 times only to find that continued loosening no longer reduced the shadow. The original alignment must have been too tight and caused a twist in the light tunnel attachment plate so it wouldn't spring back any further. I disassembled the light engine again and tweaked the light tunnel attachment plate and reassembled. It was perfect and no further adjustment was needed.

Special thanks to mgreen200 and Thump3r for all the great info you posted about doing this yourself.
post #2081 of 2603 Old 03-23-2008, 09:06 AM

Thanks for all the info armed with the pics from mgreen200 I will attempt the light tunnel fix. It took 2 months of back order time for the part to arrive part # BN67-00058A.
post #2082 of 2603 Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 AM

I tried the exec line at 1800-522-7341 asked for Courtney or Jennifer the voice laughed. My 05 Samsung and me our on our own. Will try the tunnel replacement
post #2083 of 2603 Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 AM

I have a funny feeling the posting of the telephone number two weeks ago was the straw that broke the camel's back... I suspect that brought about the end of cooperation that I got a an inkling of, and that acman has experienced.
post #2084 of 2603 Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyBaird View Post

Here is my story. I will start by saying I am under warranty so I am one of the lucky ones. My 6168 started a year ago with the light tunnel thing and Warrantech had someone replace it no problems. Well about 3 weeks ago I noticed it was back. My warranty lasts until August 08 so that is good. So the repair people came out and "replaced" the light tunnel. They spent a couple hours working on it and now it will not come on at all.

Any suggestions on what they might have done wrong?

So they called Warrantech and put in a new order. Warrantech called my house and wanted information on what happened. They were pretty rude to my wife, but I guess that is to be expected. I spoke with the people that came out to "fix" my TV and they said they were on hold with Warrentech right now trying to figure out what they want them to do. They told me the new estimate for work was 1200 (light engine, analog and digital board). I was told that Warrentech decided to send this to their tech department to determine to fix it, replace it, or buy out the warranty. So I will not have that decision for 3 to 5 days.

I am curious if anyone else has had this experience and if so, what should I expect from this point on.

Has anyone else had them replace their TV or buy out the warranty?

Thanks
Tracy

UPDATE: Warrantech put me off for 3 solid weeks. I began calling each day and leaving messages with the manager in charge of the service order. He finally agreed to cover the 1200.00 estimate to replace the LE and two analog boards.

QUESTION:
Has anyone renewed their extended warranty with warrantech? If so, what was the cost of the renewal? Was it about the same coverage? I hate to go with them again, but at this point it is probably the best of the two evils? Either the DLP die in a year or take service that I really have to work to get.
post #2085 of 2603 Old 03-24-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post

Call Warrantech, Samsung probably will do nothing for you. You guys might want to list yourselves on the class action lawsuit.

Do you have a link to the class action lawsuit? I am very interested in joining. My DMD went bad and ECR is refusing to help me because I am out of warranty. $4,000 for a set that won't even last 30 months. What a joke!
post #2086 of 2603 Old 03-24-2008, 02:34 PM

I called Executive Customer Relations again (3rd time). I spoke to a guy today who's name was James. He said he was the "Supervisor" which was BS because he had the customer service skills of a 4th grader. He told me he couldn't extend my warranty to have the service done because I was 9 months out of warranty. I told him others I had talked to online had received warranty extensions and I wanted the same. He said that "they probably had some other service done during the warranty period." I told him that's just speculation and I wanted the same deal that other customers had received regardless of whether my set had broken before. He said that sometimes they will extend the warranty for 3 months but the customer has to pay for parts.

dwa04, were you out of warranty or had any previous warranty service?

It looks like since Trogner had already received warranty service, they extended his. I just don't really understand why it matters if something else had broken before.
post #2087 of 2603 Old 03-24-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

post #2088 of 2603 Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 PM

Another lucky shadow victim---purchased my HL-R5067W in 12/05 and soon thereafter started to see the shadow. I subsequently replaced the lamp but this was obviously not the problem. After seeing all the threads decided to call Samsung (Executive #). Was told to get a diagnostics and send for consideration. When service tech came out he estimated 335.00 for repair including replacement light tunnel. Had it repaired and sent invoice to Samsung. Spoke with John who stated he was a supervisor and he said he could only extend warranty by three months. Looks like this will my last Samsung.

At least thanks for all the thread, got my tv fixed-------hopefully.
post #2089 of 2603 Old 03-25-2008, 01:57 PM

It appears to still be "hit or miss" as to what degree of cooperation people are receiving from Samsung. Some people are being told to get diagnostic reports while others don't have to; others are being told their warranties can't be extended, some are getting warranties extended completely while others have to pay for labor while Samsung pays for parts; some are getting just the tunnel replaced while others get the entire light engine replaced--both for the same problem. And yet others get no help from Samsung while some fortunate ones (even way past warranty) get everything resolved in a couple of days at no expense. It definitely appears that not everyone at customer support/relations is working off of the "same script."

In response to the poster who thought perhaps the posting of the Executive Customer Relations number "broke the camel's back" -- I seriously doubt it. The number was posted over a year ago on this thread...that is how I "discovered" it.

I wonder what would happen if someone would call the number a couple of times a day and not really say anything until either Courtney or Jennifer answered. It might be worth the trouble...

For those of you not receiving any satisfaction and considering another TV...my repair tech told me that he has the least amount of calls for Mitsubishi.
post #2090 of 2603 Old 03-25-2008, 04:34 PM

Non-normalized data like that is a little dodgy -- How does that number of repair calls compare to the number of units sold?
post #2091 of 2603 Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM

My HLS6187 had a shadow in the upper left corner of the screen... it didnt really look anything like the pictures that have been posted in this thread though. The tech was here a couple hours ago... he first called it a smudge and tried cleaning the lense and the inside of the screen with no change, he ended up swapping the whole LE for a new one which fixed the problem. He wasnt sure if it was a light tunel problem or a smudge or dirt somewhere inside the LE.

He also put a new mainboard in to fix a unrelated problem... so I've got a mostly new TV again!

Attached is a picture of the smudge/shadow that was on my tv.
LL
post #2092 of 2603 Old 03-26-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Non-normalized data like that is a little dodgy -- How does that number of repair calls compare to the number of units sold?

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, I thought about including a disclaimer with my post of the tech's comment. I have no other information to support/refute his statement. And even if I did, I would include the following observation: "Statistics can tell you everything you want to know...except the truth."
post #2093 of 2603 Old 03-28-2008, 05:10 AM

This is a quote I took from an online news article:

"Samsung, the world's largest memory chip maker, posted $7.61 billion in annual profits in 2007, up 12 percent from a year earlier. Sales rose 7 percent to $64.7 billion."

In my opinion, Samsung needs to be spending some of that $7,610,000,000.00 profit on PROPERLY taking care of this light tunnel issue for ALL of their affected customers.
post #2094 of 2603 Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Follow up to my smudges/spots after LE replacement: Tech came back today and after trying a couple of things we decided on putting back old LE.. No more spots!!! He concluded new(maybe refurb not sure) is contaminated and is ordering me a new one.
post #2095 of 2603 Old 03-28-2008, 02:48 PM

Assuming Samsung should do something to take care of their customers regarding this issue, how should Samsung compensate folks with the problem who have extended warranties?
post #2096 of 2603 Old 03-30-2008, 08:04 AM

I am a new member of the Shadow Club. My set is HL-S5687W bought at CC in Aug 2006, Samsung deny any knowledge of a defect but the customer service rep admitted to knowing about the ClassAction Lawsuit. Anybody know the status of this action??

I am going to fix my light tunnel, and Samsung will loose out by many missed sales by my spreading the words about their unwillingness to correct known defects/issues. RPTV is now in decline due to LCD anyways.....

John Adams
Dallas
post #2097 of 2603 Old 03-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhatley View Post

My handyman skills are a 5, on a 1 to 10 scale. I'll see what I find out from ECR, and then I might venture a try. Outside of the dust, what is the worst thing that could happen? Just calling a repair shop to do the job anyway, or could I really screw up the set?

Here's an update. Looks like I am one of the lucky ones. Samsung sent a service tech to my home on Thursday. They said they had to take the set into the shop. They called Friday and confirmed that the problem was the light tunnel, and that Samsung had authorized the repair at no cost.

Don't know if this helped, but when I faxed my receipt to ECR, I mentioned that I had referred three relatives to Samsung HDTVs, and also had also bought a second one which is still in the box awaiting the completion of our basement (and thus still potentially returnable).

Another interesting fact: One of Samsung's chief engineers submitted an affidavit in the class action suit stating that the light tunnel costs Samsung $12.00.

In any event, my problem might be solved, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why they are so inconsistent.
post #2098 of 2603 Old 03-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Do Samsung really know how much damage a single disgruntled customer can cost theM?? I now own 3 Samsung TVs - 2 x 32" LCD in the bedrooms and 1 x 56" for the main viewing room. May not seem a lot, but probably about $3.5k in expenditure in a year or so. My friends who are venturing to buy ask me, and I tell them my experience. If Samsung let me down its probably about 3 people or maybe 5 who do not buy their product. Its reality because no one believes the sales guy in the store and we all know what we want before we get there. Right???

If I say I don't care its because I can always go and buy another brand. I thought in 2006 that Samsung were winning the RPTV market.
post #2099 of 2603 Old 03-31-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa6921 View Post

Do Samsung really know how much damage a single disgruntled customer can cost theM??

Yes, they really know; figure all companies know that sort of thing. They also know how much these repairs cost. They've unquestionably done the math.
post #2100 of 2603 Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 AM

Well, today I called the Executive Customer Service number and explained that the local TV repair shop had told me to call them - since this was a known defect. I got an immediate answer of "yes we will fix it" and they extended my warranty to 4/30/08. The TV was purchased in Aug 2006 so that makes the warranty about 19 months. I have a "transaction number" and the phone number of the contact who is sending the Samsung engineer to repair my TV.

This restores my confidence in Samsung and my belief that I made a wise purchase. There were a few moments of doubt along the way, but we seem to "be getting there"

John A
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page