Shadow on left of Samsung DLP screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2603 Old 11-28-2006, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Our Samsung HLR6168 developed, overnight, a 4-inch wide dark or shadowed band on the left of the screen. The picture is visible in this band, but only at about 50% or less of brightness. Colors appear to be correct but dark. The band has a slight birefringence or color smear on the very edge and a minor arc (slightly concave w/r/t the left edge of the screen). I've replaced the bulb but that had no effect.

It seems as though something is blocking part of the light path after the DLP chip, blocking some but not all of the light getting to the left edge of the screen. Does anyone know what this might be, and whether there is anything we can do ourselves to fix it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2603 Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Part of the light engine "tunnel" has collapsed.
There's nothing you can do to fix it, the problem requires a light engine replacement. Are you still within your warranty period? If so, this is quite literally a 30-minute job.
post #3 of 2603 Old 11-28-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redram View Post

Our Samsung HLR6168 developed, overnight, a 4-inch wide dark or shadowed band on the left of the screen. The picture is visible in this band, but only at about 50% or less of brightness. Colors appear to be correct but dark. The band has a slight birefringence or color smear on the very edge and a minor arc (slightly concave w/r/t the left edge of the screen). I've replaced the bulb but that had no effect.

It seems as though something is blocking part of the light path after the DLP chip, blocking some but not all of the light getting to the left edge of the screen. Does anyone know what this might be, and whether there is anything we can do ourselves to fix it?

Thanks.

After much research on the net, I came to the conclusion the only fix for the Samsung shadow issue was a replacement light engine. I can now say that there is another possibility, a simple adjustment that in my case took only 15 minutes and not only eliminated the 3" wide shadow I had, but improved the picture quality as well. The technician compared it to dialing in the scope on a rifle. Simply loosened off the mounting screws of the "mirror-Light tunnel assembly", moved it downward slightly and retightened. Connected it back up and better then new. He did say it can require a couple of attempts in some cases but mine was the 2nd he had successfully done today. Anyone who is out of warranty, by all means try it. The assembly I am referring to consists of items 16 thru 21 of the L680 Engine assembly from my 6178.
post #4 of 2603 Old 12-27-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm . . . looks like I have the same problem. My son says it started last month, but I've been away a lot and not watching much TV. And, of course, my Samsung warranty expired last month and the Samsung tech that I talked to would not treat it as a warranty call. I did buy an extended warranty, but haven't contacted them yet.

Since it was pretty easy to find people having this problem now, it sounds to me like a design issue that Samsung should take care of.
post #5 of 2603 Old 12-27-2006, 12:38 PM

I'd say we should we create a poll and see how many people have the shadow plague. I have it too and many other users here have it also. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=359&pp=30

Just use the search button and type in shadow. You'll find so many people with the same problem. Definitely a widespread defect in all Samsung's DLP tv's ending with 68w's. It cost $1,200 to replace the light engine if you're out of warranty.

I'd say we all go create a left-shadow group thread and complain to Samsung at the same time.
post #6 of 2603 Old 12-27-2006, 12:59 PM

Take a look at my TV!!!

Here is a picture taken on November 25, 2005. Notice the size of the width using the white logos at the bottom.

Now take a look at my TV now!! Notice how much it grew since 11/25/05. And guess what, its still growing.

post #7 of 2603 Old 12-27-2006, 04:32 PM

Mine has now expanded to cover 1/2 of the screen and the set now powers off very frequently. Of course I am a 5087 owner so mine comes in from the right side. Once your shadow moves a little more there will be a second stage to the shadow that is even darker.
post #8 of 2603 Old 12-27-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewayneB View Post

Mine has now expanded to cover 1/2 of the screen and the set now powers off very frequently. Of course I am a 5087 owner so mine comes in from the right side. Once your shadow moves a little more there will be a second stage to the shadow that is even darker.

Yah! I can't wait for the second stage. not... But man, I can't imagine a shadow covering half of my screen. Every time I pop in a movie or play a game, the first thing I do is check the left side of my screen and agonize how big my shadow is. Can't believe this is happening to Samsung's newer versions. Upload a picture of that shadow; we need to get someone's attention about this issue.
post #9 of 2603 Old 12-28-2006, 10:40 PM

Thank You Samsung.

Picture quality is poor. Batteries are dead on digital camera, so I used the cell phone. Good enough to see the size of my shadow for the biggest shadow contest at least.

Hope this works, have not posted a picture before.
LL
post #10 of 2603 Old 12-29-2006, 03:30 AM

Liked: 11
Ouch! That looks pretty bad.
post #11 of 2603 Old 12-29-2006, 08:34 AM

Fellas,

I thought Samsung sold a replacement light tunnel. At least on previous models, it is a field replaceable part, as a couple of members were installing new color wheels and broke (or discovered broken) tunnels. If the ..68 switched to a non replaceble tunnel, that is unfortunate.

Being an Optoma RD owner, I'm quite familliar with bad light tunnels. At least the quantity of Optoma TVs sold is tiny compared to Samsung. Problems in quantity usually result in some kind of good faith correction; at least one can hope!

Miner
post #12 of 2603 Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 AM

Here is a picture of the LE from the service manual
Item #18 is the mirror-light tunnel. FYI
LL
post #13 of 2603 Old 12-29-2006, 08:02 PM

does this sound like the same problem? i'm also out of warranty... not really sure what to do. i can post a pic later of the smudges...but i only notice it on a white background

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776775

Halco, do you have the service manual for the hlr 5067?
post #14 of 2603 Old 12-29-2006, 08:21 PM

The SM I have is for the 7178. But, most parts are the same. Smudges I think are not related to the shadow issues here. Could be in your screen.
post #15 of 2603 Old 12-29-2006, 11:40 PM

I have a Samsung HL-S6187W which I purchased from Best Buy 7 months ago. I am still under the Samsung one year warranty on parts, but I did not buy a extended warranty from Best Buy. A few weeks ago I started seeing the side of the picture screen darking from the right side to the left side. So it looks like this is happening to different models of Samsung HDTV'S. We need to get everyone in this wonderful forum together that are having this happening to them, and address it to Samsung themselves. If they are not willing to do a recall, we must then contact the proper govenment agency to address this issue with them. The multitude of occurances of this happening is horrible, and we must ban together to do something about it.
post #16 of 2603 Old 12-30-2006, 12:18 PM

Here is another customer with an HLR5668W Shadow on the left side. Just started last week - 1" wide. TV is 3 mos past the 1yr warranty mark.

I do have a 3 yr ext warranty which also came with a 2 bulb replacement warranty (within 3 yr period).

I was going to wait awhile to call in for service, but after reviewing this forum it will be called in this week. Don't see any reason to wait.

Great pictures by WANGER. I do agree with Wanger that since this is going to be an on-going unique problem, that Samsung should rectify this......out of warrantee or not.

One of the reasons and to me its HUGE....I've been promoting the Samsung 1080P DLP's to many people and so far 5 people have purchased. This kind of thing certainly will affect my reputation as I promote other products to friends and relatives which I have always done over the years. When I get excited about certain stuff, like many of you, I promote it.

I'll keep you posted on the repair. We live in southwest FL.
post #17 of 2603 Old 12-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Welcome to the left shadow club SAEhlers! And I agree with you Satman that we should get everyone who has the shadow to participate. Ironically, with all these complaints and issues about the shadow, I can only find 2 people who posted an image of their defected TV. ME and DewayneB.

So please get your cameras and post some pictures. When theres enough pics and people with the shadow, I'll compile all the complaints together and pictures into one giant post. Hopefully it will get the attention of Samsung sooner or later.
post #18 of 2603 Old 12-30-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEhlers View Post

Here is another customer with an HLR5668W Shadow on the left side. Just started last week - 1" wide. TV is 3 mos past the 1yr warranty mark.

I do have a 3 yr ext warranty which also came with a 2 bulb replacement warranty (within 3 yr period).

I was going to wait awhile to call in for service, but after reviewing this forum it will be called in this week. Don't see any reason to wait.

Great pictures by WANGER. I do agree with Wanger that since this is going to be an on-going unique problem, that Samsung should rectify this......out of warrantee or not.

One of the reasons and to me its HUGE....I've been promoting the Samsung 1080P DLP's to many people and so far 5 people have purchased. This kind of thing certainly will affect my reputation as I promote other products to friends and relatives which I have always done over the years. When I get excited about certain stuff, like many of you, I promote it.

I'll keep you posted on the repair. We live in southwest FL.

Funny that you say that, as I just got off the phone with a lady from Samsung. She told me I had a 1yr. warranty on both parts and labor on my Samsung HL-S6187W. Thank God I am a TV junky, as I put so many hours on mine that I made that shadow problem come to the surface after only 6 months. I have read in a few forums that some people have reported that it had happen to them again after being serviced. So I guess it will be a cross your fingers and pray it don't happen again. Unless we can ban together, force Samsung to create a recall, and permanmently fix this widespread shadow problem. The lady at Samsung told me because I live more then 20 miles from one of their authorized service centers (I live 38 miles away) I will have to wait 7-14 days before the will call me and set up a service appointment. Figures, huh! I told her the whole screen might be covered by that time.

wanger, I happened to bring my dit. camera with me when I evacuated for Katrina, but I left the PC downloading cord for the camera at home. The 14 ft. of saltwater that stayed in my house for more then 3 weeks, made it become useless just like just about everything else left behind.

I will get in the net tonight, and try to find a knew cord for it, and get my pictures posted as soon as it comes in.
post #19 of 2603 Old 12-31-2006, 02:40 PM

Hey guys, how about everyone that has had a light engine shadow problem with one of their Samsung HDTV's, post what their model is, so we can keep a record of all the units that are having this shadow problem.

My model number of my unit is:

Samsung HL-S6187W

BTW, I have the right shadow problem.
post #20 of 2603 Old 12-31-2006, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't service much Samsung, so I am not familiar with the light tunnel design, but I have repaired this problem on other brands. If it is a light tunnel with mirrored sides that have collapsed it is likely that it can be rebuilt rather than replacing the entire light engine. You need to find a tech who is not afraid of fixing things rather than those who just routinely swap parts.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #21 of 2603 Old 12-31-2006, 03:25 PM

Have the left shadow problem. Mine is HL-R6768w
post #22 of 2603 Old 12-31-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

I don't service much Samsung, so I am not familiar with the light tunnel design, but I have repaired this problem on other brands. If it is a light tunnel with mirrored sides that have collapsed it is likely that it can be rebuilt rather than replacing the entire light engine. You need to find a tech who is not afraid of fixing things rather than those who just routinely swap parts.

Samsung will be sending to my home a contracted TV serviceman in the next couple of weeks. If this is what happened to my set, from what you are saying, I should try asking him if he would do what he can to fix permanently, then for him to just place the parts?
post #23 of 2603 Old 12-31-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

If the servicer is not very familiar with the construction of the light engine, you may be better off not having him try to repair it. It depends on the tech. Why a couple of weeks? Call around and find the local Samsung servicers. Where are you located?

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #24 of 2603 Old 12-31-2006, 04:31 PM

The metro New Orleans area has over 1 million people, yet Samsung only has 1 serviceman in out area. It least that is what they told me. They told me the closes one besides that is Baton Rouge which is 80 miles away.

Read my forth post above, and you will learn more.
post #25 of 2603 Old 12-31-2006, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Who are the servicers. I used to run a shop in BR, and lived in the area most of my life, until I moved to Gainesville in 1999. There may be some independents who can service it, so you might call around to the better shops, though I don't know who is left there.

post #26 of 2603 Old 12-31-2006, 07:54 PM

I had this problem with my Samsung DLP less than a month after i got it, took the company in charge of my warranty about 5 months to finally authorize a TV replacement but i got the document they gave me to the sotre i bought my TV and managed to get a full refund in store credit wich i used to get a newer and bigger model so i can't complain.
post #27 of 2603 Old 12-31-2006, 09:37 PM

Well Boys and Girls I decided tonight to try and see if I could remedy my shadow problem on my own. I tore my tv apart and can say that the problem is definitely with the light tunnel. First I removed the light engine. Next there was a cover over the main lens. I them proced to remove the color wheel assy. The mirror tunnel is the end of a small lens assy to the left of the color wheel assy. When I moved it I could hear a small rattling noise. There is a small metal plate on the end of the assy that holds the tunnel in. Also two screws on the sides. While I was looking at it a small mirror fell out of it. It was about 2 in long by maybe a quarter inch. I knew I was screwed now. The mirror that fell out had double sided tape on the back and that is apparantly what causes the problem in the first place. All four mirrors are inside of a metal tube that is held together by a clip and two spring that are wrapped around it. I took it all apart and noticed that only two to the mirrors had the tape on the back the other two are just held in by pressure. That is the problem with these pieces of crap. There needs to be some glue on the back of these things. At this point I was thinking I would just have to order a new light tunnel, but didnt want to be without a tv for a week. I got out the super glue and went to work. At this point I should say that Under No circumstances would I recommend repairing one of these things. If someone wants to try fixing this then order a new tunnel BEFORE you take this apart. I spent the better part of an hour glueing the mirrors in and it is impossible to get them in the right place or to do it without getting some glue/fingerprints on the face of mirrors. I put everything back together and turned the set on. I fully expected the shadow to be worse or covering the whole screen. To my suprise the shadow from the left side was gone. Now for the bad news. Along the top of the screen I now have some kind of smudges/ waves that must be something on the mirrors. Well Im off to order a new mirror tunnel now. I took a few pics if anyone wants to see them.
post #28 of 2603 Old 12-31-2006, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds just like the light tunnel on the Optomas. Not rocket science to fix these, just takes patience and care. I use a high temp epoxy. I am not sure how a super glue would hold up.

post #29 of 2603 Old 01-01-2007, 06:20 AM

Great job mgreen200,
Just what I thought was wrong with these things. I would like to see your pictures. And, what are the chances of getting a new tunnel part? Other than smudges on the mirrors were there any alignment adjustments or does it just drop back in place without having to worry about tolerances? Also, with a new light tunnel, would you consider this an easy repair? Again, good job mgreen!
post #30 of 2603 Old 01-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

Who are the servicers. I used to run a shop in BR, and lived in the area most of my life, until I moved to Gainesville in 1999. There may be some independents who can service it, so you might call around to the better shops, though I don't know who is left there.

If Samsung is picking up the bill because it is still under warranty don't you have to go with who they use to make repairs?

They said the only servicer that have in Metro New Orleans is AAA TV service out of Gretna, La.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page