DLP Purchase - Do I Need This? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Carlwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a new Samsung DLP and the guy said I need this.

I am not sure if the guy was trying to make a sale on it or what but he explained that all DLP's run on higher joules and w/o this, my TV will burn out eventually.

Can someone please tell me if this is something I need to pick up?

I have a TV...
Carlwill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrMike6by9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lutherville, Maryland
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rather than a surge strip, I'd get a UPS to permit the fan to run to cool lamp in case of power failures. A UPS also affords protection from surges and those quick start spikes one often sees when the power comes back but dies seconds later a few times before it stabilizes.

YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
MrMike6by9 is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Carlwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So you're saying I absolutely do not need this?

I have a TV...
Carlwill is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlwill View Post

I just purchased a new Samsung DLP and the guy said I need this.

This is hype:

This Color Coded Outlet 50dB EMI/RFI Noise Filter offers Ultimate Protection and High Performance. Its Specialized Filters gives you Clean Power for better Picture and Sound.

Quote:


I am not sure if the guy was trying to make a sale on it or what but he explained that all DLP's run on higher joules and w/o this, my TV will burn out eventually.

Stay away from this guy, and the store if what he told you is their company line.

Quote:


Can someone please tell me if this is something I need to pick up?

In Florida I would want a surge protector from APC or someone like Belkin. You want one with enough sockets for future additions and you want some of the sockets to have some extra space around them for transformers.

This is an example of what I would look for.

Belkin PureAV Isolator Home Theater Surge Protector, 10-outlet

If you are already in a power outage, it's a good idea to unplug the surge protector until the power has been restored. Many times the worst surges come when the power comes back on.

If you have frequent power outages then you might want to get an UPS so you can turn of your Home Theater components yourself.

I unplug our computers and our Home Theater equipment when we are going to be gone on a trip. It's cheap protection.
htwaits is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Carlwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So does that unit I linked above do any protection or is it just a scam?

I have a TV...
Carlwill is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlwill View Post

So does that unit I linked above do any protection or is it just a scam?

It does serge protection at close to four times the cost of the same protection in other products. It does not improve sound or video quality. That's the scam (black magic) part.

Quote:


he explained that all DLP's run on higher joules and w/o this, my TV will burn out eventually

Someone lied to your sales rep and/or he lied to you. DLP sets, all other TVs, and all other electronic devices in the United States run on 110 volts. Joules are a measure of how fast a circuit can detect and shut off a surge. The bigger the surge the more joules you want, but most of these "surge protection" devices come with insurance against surges that they can't control.
htwaits is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Carlwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm - I wonder why he would say that any normal surge protector will burn out the TV since these DLP units use so much more power or joules. I forgot his exact verb age. Anyways - I canceled that from the order.

Now do I need a specific UPS or just a regular surge? My TV is never on unless I am using it so I feel a UPS is useless and I too disconnect when I go on travel.

I have a TV...
Carlwill is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Member
 
holtzd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlwill View Post

So does that unit I linked above do any protection or is it just a scam?

It is mostly hype. This one you linked to and most others are over priced.

A surge protector could filter out a surge and might save your TV. Your home owners insurance should help pay if a lightning strike fryed any of your equipment. If you did get hit with a lightning strike your equipment may still get fryed even with a surge protector. The surge protector comes with insurance that payes for your equipment if it does get fryed but you have to jump through hoops to get them to pay.

A UPS can provide the surge protection plus provide other benefits mentioned above.
holtzd is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlwill View Post

Hmmm - I wonder why he would say that any normal surge protector will burn out the TV since these DLP units use so much more power or joules. I forgot his exact verb age. Anyways - I canceled that from the order.

More profit? Bigger commission?

Quote:


Now do I need a specific UPS or just a regular surge?

That depends on the power conditions where you live. Each time your TV has it's power removed before that fans have had a chance to cool the lamp, it will cause the lamp to age faster. It's not a big deal unless power outages are frequent where you live.

Quote:


My TV is never on unless I am using it so I feel a UPS is useless and I too disconnect when I go on travel.

A big power surge doesn't care if your TV is on or off. Lightning is the biggest power surge that you may encounter. In that case your surge protector will probably fail to. That's where the insurance comes in handy.

Smaller power surges need to be stopped when you are using your equipment. That's what a surge protector does for computers, and other sensitive devices like your TV, your A/V receiver or your DVD player.
htwaits is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Carlwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK - Thanks. So I guess that Belkin surge protector linked above jacked into a APC or Belkin UPS would be more than enough, right?

The sales guy only recommended this because if I don't have a surge protector that is 6,900 Joules - the DLP will fry according to him. "Any regular surge protector is not able to handle that much power" - The sales guy...

I have a TV...
Carlwill is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlwill View Post

OK - Thanks. So I guess that Belkin surge protector linked above jacked into a APC or Belkin UPS would be more than enough, right?

No. Either a surge protector OR a UPS (which contains surge protection built in -- they all do ).

Quote:


The sales guy only recommended this because if I don't have a surge protector that is 6,900 Joules - the DLP will fry according to him. "Any regular surge protector is not able to handle that much power" - The sales guy...

htwaits is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Carlwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK - I totally brain farted about all UPS's having built in surge.

I have a TV...
Carlwill is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 12-21-2006, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Carlwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys - I got my DLP today and set it up using a spare APC UPS only. I have the power cable from the TV straight to the UPS & I ask if everyone here thinks this is fine for the longevity of the unit. If you guys recommend something else, please let me know.

Can this APC Back UPS XS 800 (Picture 5) handle the power and demands of the DLP in question?

Here are some photos:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Picture 7

I have a TV...
Carlwill is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlwill View Post

Can this APC Back UPS XS 800 (Picture 5) handle the power and demands of the DLP in question?[/url]

All a UPS does is give you time to turn your system off in the normal way. After that, it's safest to disconnect from the wall so that in the off chance there is a big surge when the power comes back on your equipment won't be involved.

There really isn't any "power and demands" for the UPS to handle under normal operation.
htwaits is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 12-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Member
 
venga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

All a UPS does is give you time to turn your system off in the normal way. After that, it's safest to disconnect from the wall so that in the off chance there is a big surge when the power comes back on your equipment won't be involved.

There really isn't any "power and demands" for the UPS to handle under normal operation.

You can just unplug it right away, since there is no electricity coming to/through it anyways, it doesn't matter that it is plugged in while you shut the tv down.
venga is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by venga View Post

You can just unplug it right away, since there is no electricity coming to/through it anyways, it doesn't matter that it is plugged in while you shut the tv down.

That's right. But the first thing I would do is power down my TV and other equipment. It's just a personal thing, and I can see the benefit of running for the plug as fast as possible.
htwaits is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Carlwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys - I completely understand what a UPS does - I just don't know what is sufficient for this TV? Will any junk surge / UPS do the job and keep my TV from burning up? I am scared with such a huge investment.

Do you guys say leave the UPS or get something else? If you recommend something else, please post what you recommend.

Thanks!

I have a TV...
Carlwill is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 12-21-2006, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlwill View Post

Guys - I completely understand what a UPS does - I just don't know what is sufficient for this TV? Will any junk surge / UPS do the job and keep my TV from burning up? I am scared with such a huge investment.

If you are most worried about protecting your investment get the best surge protector (for lightning) you can afford.

Moving up to a UPS may prolonging the life of the TV's lamps if you have a lot of power failures.

If you live in an area with a lot of voltage fluctuations, a UPS with "line conditioning" will insure that your set gets power within the limits that it needs. If you can find a good surge protector that includes line conditioning that will also work, but I've never run into one.

Your situation determines what will be best for you.

What's the point of buying "junk"?
htwaits is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 12-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Member
 
moocher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Near Atlanta GA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Take a look at the refurbups web site for good deals on ups units. APC has a great reputation and a wide range of solutions, depending on whether you just want a few minutes to shut off your tv and let the fan run, you suffer from frequent short black-outs, brown-outs (where the voltage decreases - requires a ups with voltage regulation), or nasty power that needs to be cleaned up (look at the Smart-Ups which put out a pure sine wave). Choose the type of condition you are dealing with and then the power rating you need, which depends on what you'll have hooked up to it.

mooch
moocher is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 01-01-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
subwoofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MD
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just realized that my DLP tv that I have had for almost 4 months is only hooked up to a power strip and not one that has a protected light on it as a surge protector. I feel so stupid for having this expensive tv, dvd player and receiver with just a power strip (I believe it is just that since I don't see a light on it called protected. It is a Woods brand). The only power issue that I have had (that I remember and was around for) was when the power company was working outside my place and turned off the power themselves and then turned it on about 10-15 minutes later. I did not know that they were going to do this and I had my system running at the moment. This happened about a month ago and the tv seems exactly the same. Was I just lucky or are these power outtages not as bad?

Tomorrow I will be going to Home Depot to buy a standard surge protector and maybe later I will buy better one online from Belkin.
subwoofer is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 01-01-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
subwoofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MD
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What does everyone think about these two surge protectors from Belkin? I'm not sure what the difference is between the two:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-...5?ie=UTF8&s=hi

and

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-...5?ie=UTF8&s=hi


Or would it be best to just spend some extra bucks on a UPS? I'm not sure if it is worth it since it seems like overkill since I don't have power outtages very often. However I have heard that they are useful for people with HDTVs that have bulbs in them. Also, are these loud while they are running or is that only when an outtage happens?

Here is one that only has 6 power ports (but I guess I could connect a power strip to it): http://www.amazon.com/APC-BK350-Surg...5?ie=UTF8&s=hi


I really could use some help here since I am in the dark on this one (pun not intended)
subwoofer is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 01-02-2007, 07:08 AM
GM6
 
GM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post

What does everyone think about these two surge protectors from Belkin? I'm not sure what the difference is between the two:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-...5?ie=UTF8&s=hi

and

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-...5?ie=UTF8&s=hi


Or would it be best to just spend some extra bucks on a UPS? I'm not sure if it is worth it since it seems like overkill since I don't have power outtages very often. However I have heard that they are useful for people with HDTVs that have bulbs in them. Also, are these loud while they are running or is that only when an outtage happens?

Here is one that only has 6 power ports (but I guess I could connect a power strip to it): http://www.amazon.com/APC-BK350-Surg...5?ie=UTF8&s=hi


I really could use some help here since I am in the dark on this one (pun not intended)

I would use one that can has a higher joule rating.

I use this one:

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/produ...%20D34452.html
GM6 is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 01-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Member
 
kcabhsalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A DLP doesnt pull any more power than anything else. So I wouldnt worry about anything being able to handle it, all you need to worry about is can the equipment handle the surge, which there is no way to predict, just get the one rated for the most joules for the money.

As far as UPS, shouldnt hurt, but I noticed my SmartUPS 1000XLNET is only rated for like 400 joules ??? thats odd considering what it was designed to be used with.
kcabhsalf is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off