Toshiba 52hmx85 with dust behind screen... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-28-2006, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 3month old tosh 52hmx85. The other day, while watching a show with a light background, I noticed what looked like a dirty spot, near the bottom right corner of the screen. However, the screen is perfectly clean. It looks like a 1/3" smudge. From reading the forums, it seems as though it is dust trapped inside the tv. While inspecting the tv, i noticed a few other (much smaller specs). Has anyone had a similar issue resolved by Toshiba? What did they end up doing? I'm seriously considering calling up toshiba to send out a tech. I'm just worried that if this requires major work (ex. replacing the LE) that they could end up screwing something else up. It always seems as though once you start messing with major repairs, the product never seems to work correctly afterwards. Any input would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-28-2006, 11:42 AM

I have a Samsung that has this same problem. I had a service tech out to check it today. He cleaned the surface of the lens, it was pretty dusty, but the "smudge" was still there on the screen. He then pulled the entire assembly out and examined the lens closer and the problem ended up being a small piece of debris (looked like a tiny 1/32" piece of thread) on the underside of the lens. So the entire assembly needs to be replaced because of this... at least it's still under warranty
post #3 of 4 Old 12-31-2006, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pls let me know how this turns out once you get the LE replaced
post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2007, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, toshiba tech just left. All is well. It turned out to be some dust on the inside of the screen and mirror. All you need to do is take off the 10 or so screws holding on the front screen and wipe down screen/mirror. It solved the problem. I was suprised how much dust was in there. I actually had little dust bunnies!

Considering how anal I am about cleaning, and that I've only had the tv for 3 months, I was surprised. I'm going to clean it out myself and try sealing the gap between the bezel/tv with some tape to try and keep the dust out. The tech said the best way to clean was to blow out the dust with a can of compressed air, then after everything settles, to wipe down with a lightly damp cloth. I'll give that a try. He also mentioned that dust in the light shows up as baseball shaped blothches, which look a bit washed out on certain colors, as opposed to dark spots.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page