2007 Samsung DLP Information From CES! - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2007, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a 5076s model delivered yesterday afternoon and sent it back due to severe "bowing" of the image. On a 4X3 picture the image was off by nearly an inch from top to bottom.

CC was great and had another delivered last night around 7:30pm. Well, to my dismay, this one was even worse. The delivery guys were very careful (while I saw them at least) and I'm pretty sure it can't be blamed on them.

So, I like the slim depth and all of the TV but it looks to me like Samsung is having some problems. I have 30 days to find something else to exchange it for. My space will hold 50", and I am reluctant to get a Plasma due to the reflections in the room. I already have a Sony 60xbr2 in the theater room and have liked this TV, but the size and weight of the 50 model are so much more than the Samsungs. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Hopefully one of the early owners of a "76" model will be interested enough to maintain the first post in an owner's thread as a collection place for relevant "76" information. So far that's not happening for the 2007 HL-T LED owner's thread.

You're right. Whoever starts the thread needs to be willing to monitor the thread and update his initial post as new info. or resources become available. Therefore, that first post can serve as an accurate cheat sheet for the entire thread. It's a shame that the guy who started the HL-Txx87S/89S thread has all but disappeared.

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
Old 05-23-2007, 11:18 PM

so i just got my 4th HLT 5076s from BB today, first 3 had severe bowing, now so does my fourth, instead of sending it back though i'm going to give samsung a call and see what they can do about it. I have to say I'm a little disappointed at how bad my Wii with component looks on this set. Also i can stress enough how sensitive the top is to deforming the screen when touched.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mranbel View Post

so i just got my 4th HLT 5076s from BB today, first 3 had severe bowing, now so does my fourth, instead of sending it back though i'm going to give samsung a call and see what they can do about it. I have to say I'm a little disappointed at how bad my Wii with component looks on this set. Also i can stress enough how sensitive the top is to deforming the screen when touched.

I saw one today at a BB that didn't have a bowing problem. The HL-T5087 next to it did have a bad case.

Samsung can't make it better after the fact. Trying to get it repaired by the usual tech that Samsung will send is not going to work. If your dealer can't get you a good one you should think about a refund.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Man, what a disappointment. I'm assuming the 56" version will have the same problems when it shows up.

I dunno what to do at this point. A 56" LCD isn't a viable option.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Old 05-24-2007, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Man, what a disappointment. I'm assuming the 56" version will have the same problems when it shows up.

Give it some time. I saw a perfectly good HL-T5076 yesterday. There isn't even an owner's thread started yet.

It is a situation where I would want to buy from a local dealer with the understanding that any set with more than .25" of bowing on any edge of a 4:3 image will have to be exchanged at no cost.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Keep us informed on what Samsung says about the situation. I was afraid that the thinner case may cause some problems. Is the bowing you refer too only when you touch the top of the set and if it is there all the time is it in all aspect ratios or only at 4 X 3? Thanks. Was all set to get one of these now I am going to wait to see how this plays out. How does Toshiba compare to Samsung Toshiba was my second choice then Sony last. Needing a set that has VGA input for my Xbox 360
Old 05-24-2007, 05:44 PM

my gf called samsung about the problem, then they called her back, left a message saying the bowing was fixable without opening the back. i need to call them back because that doesn't sound right. The bow is there all the time, but mostly at the edges, so especially terrible in widescreen. touching the top deforms the picture in a lot of ways but the bow is always there. I am going to call samsung tomorrow and see if i can get someone out asap and let everyone know how things go. I have not lost faith in this set yet.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:46 PM

Toshiba DLPs don't seem to suffer from the same geometry problems that the Samsungs have, but the Samsungs have much more versatile inputs... 1080p on HDMI, Component and VGA... the new Toshibas will only do 1080p thru HDMI.

Don
Old 05-24-2007, 11:03 PM

I just bought a HLT5076S..... What is this "bowing" you guys are speaking of?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ro View Post

I just bought a HLT5076S..... What is this "bowing" you guys are speaking of?

Pincushion is a bowing of the image on the screen. It's easier to see if the image is 4:3 or letterbox because then you can see the edges of the image bowing in. Samsung considers 1/4" of bowing to be within tolerance. Here is a discussion of several possible causes.

Quote:

It may be the screen, although as I mentioned in a previous post, the technician I last showed it to said it is the the way the light engine passes light through the lens and then reflects off the mirror.

That is a major cause of pincushion in all RPTV sets. It's made worse by the short distance between the thumb nail sized chip creating the image, and the very large screen on which it's projected.

Quote:

Noone ever did get a final answer in this forum on what the issue is and if there is a full solution

I've tried to provide the "final" answer several times.

Quote:

If it is the screen, I don't think it matters when it was built. I haven't heard anyone say that later build screens were any different than earlier build ones.

A warped screen can cause pincushion effect but it's the mount not the screen itself.

The third possible cause of pincushion is the way the light engine is mounted in relation to the screen. The mount relationship is different for every individual RPTV set.

I've seen pincushion on the high end German Loewe 55" Articos DLP sets. The cases, mounts and screens were aligned better than any set you are likely to see in mass distribution. The lenses used were also higher quality than any of the mass distribution RPTV sets available. None of that overcame the problem of taking an image from a tiny chip to a large screen in a short distance.

Other companies may be reducing pincushion better than Samsung has been able to so far. Mitsubishi may not be one of them because there is pincushion discussion going on now in their owners threads.

Because it's caused by the nature of RPTV devices and comes from more than one source, an after the fact fix is very hard to come by. The new thinner cases will probably cause the problem to get worse. A lense correction is possible but way too expensive for todays mass market.

My 2004 HLP case is not quite as shallow as the same sized HLS sets and it may be a bit more ridged. It has a much wider bezel. When I measure the bowing on the horizontal edges of a 4x3 image I get about 1/16" on one side and at the most 1/8" on the other side. As cases get lighter, thinner, and narrower it's going to be harder to get those results. Still, with compensating errors, it's possible to find sets with imperceptible pincushion bowing.

There are claims that Sony RPTV sets don't have this problem. I can't say for sure, but if Sony can do it then Samsung and Mitsubishi should also be able to make the bowing disappear before all 4x3 images are gone for good.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Pincushion is a bowing of the image on the screen. It's easier to see if the image is 4:3 or letterbox because then you can see the edges of the image bowing in. Samsung considers 1/4" of bowing to be within tolerance. Here is a discussion of several possible causes..............................

So is the bowing happening on just the top and bottom?

I think i've seen some very minor bowing at the very most bottom of my screen, but it wasn't near enough to bother me Maybe mine is just very very minor....

I've been watching lots of tv and playing my xbox 360.... No complaints here!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ro View Post

So is the bowing happening on just the top and bottom?

It can happen to all four sides in different amounts. Most people notice it on the sides of a 4:3 image.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:13 PM

sorry for the poor quality, i only have my 1.3 mega pixel camera phone (by samsung ha) but these should give an impression of what my tv looks like, the other side is as bad, the bow it very noticable on webpages via the wii and all widescreen images. The pics are of the tv in 16x9 standard picture settings. I do not have my digital calipers on hand but the bows on the 4 tvs i gotten have been anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4" bow. The first pic is just my old xbox 480i, the second is my sony dvd player 480p running the Avia calibration disc running a centerline geometery test pattern. sorry for the glare or ghostly line, i have a window right behind me.
LL
LL
Old 05-25-2007, 03:17 PM

news flash: just got off the phone with samsung about my bowing problem. they believe it is due to a shipping problem, and that some mirror or optic is out of alignment (i'm new to some of this stuff) and it CAN be fixed by a tech and a 5 minute adjustment without opening the case. I will let everyone know what happens when the tech comes out.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

news flash: just got off the phone with samsung about my bowing problem. they believe it is due to a shipping problem, and that some mirror or optic is out of alignment (i'm new to some of this stuff) and it CAN be fixed by a tech and a 5 minute adjustment without opening the case. I will let everyone know what happens when the tech comes out.

If Samsung is right that a mirror shifted during shipment, then I have no idea how that shifted mirror can be adjusted without access to the inside of the case. Maybe they mean that they can correct the mirror through the access panels on the sides of the TV.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:05 PM

Hello, I was thinking about buying a 50" DLP projection TV. There was one store that sells it online for $1900 compared to the retail price of $2500. It is model HL-T5089S. Is it possible to do a price match and bring it to a local store that sells TVs? The reason is that my credit is shot down due to an online scandal and I can pay only cash. Anyone here done a price match in the Duluth, GA area from stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, and hhgregg?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaster1 View Post

Hello, I was thinking about buying a 50" DLP projection TV. There was one store that sells it online for $1900 compared to the retail price of $2500. It is model HL-T5089S. Is it possible to do a price match and bring it to a local store that sells TVs? The reason is that my credit is shot down due to an online scandal and I can pay only cash. Anyone here done a price match in the Duluth, GA area from stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, and hhgregg?

It's highly unlikely that BB, CC, etc. will price match an e-tailer.

Why don't you ask a close friend or family member to buy the TV on their CC and you pay him in cash?

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaster1 View Post

Is there that much of a difference from the 87s and the 89s? The 87s is under $1900 at Circuit City, lower if you count getting a 10% coupon in play. There's a huge discount on the 6187s right now and with a 10% coupon it's under $2100.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post

Is there that much of a difference from the 87s and the 89s? The 87s is under $1900 at Circuit City, lower if you count getting a 10% coupon in play. There's a huge discount on the 6187s right now and with a 10% coupon it's under $2100.

There are some notable differences I've seen on Crutchfield's website, mostly in terms of what do they offer and support like USB 1.1 vs. USB 2.0 and HDMI 1.1 vs. HDMI 1.3. Most of the details maybe minor to newbies, but those with more experience and knowledge would know about these TVs. Guess I'll have to wait till December to see big price drops and discounts on these sets.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking around on Vanns Web site and noticed that they are selling HLT**76S TVs. The remarkable thing is that a 5676S (lamp) is more expensive than a 5687 (LED, HDMI 1.1)! Of course the 5689S (LED, HDMI 1.3) is by far the most expensive of the 3. For someone who is happy w/ just 720P, the HLT5675S is selling at an extreme discount; like half off the aforementioned TVs.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

I'm looking around on Vanns Web site and noticed that they are selling HLT**76S TVs. The remarkable thing is that a 5676S (lamp) is more expensive than a 5687 (LED, HDMI 1.1)! Of course the 5689S (LED, HDMI 1.3) is by far the most expensive of the 3. For someone who is happy w/ just 720P, the HLT5675S is selling at an extreme discount; like half off the aforementioned TVs.

I just purchased the HLT5675S at mentioned extreme discount.

Can't wait for it to get here.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I just bought the HL-T5676S last night and have not really had time to play with it.

I connected the VGA to my XBOX 360 and it gives you the option for WIDE PC and WIDE TV.

WIDE TV is perfect with no overscan and or washout of the colors. HD-DVD is absolutely scary. Looks like looking out the window.

No lag on games you get to select from 3 different game modes. Adventure, Sports, and Standard.

Not artifacts on ESPN - HD either. What is this bowing?

I just love this set. I also read that it has a Video Display Rate of 120 Hz. HDMI 1.3 as well.

This set does it all. Please someone start a thread so we can share our experiences and calibrations.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intendedaccel View Post

I just purchased the HLT5675S at mentioned extreme discount.

Can't wait for it to get here.

Congrats. Enjoy it once you get it.

In my case, I want 1080p, so my CC will have to be punished.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Samsungs website says some models have a "slim depth". Particularly i'm interested in the HL-T6187S LED (and HL-T6189S LED) models.

Does this mean they have a thinner depth cabinet then previous year (HLS) 61". If so this is what I have been waiting for .... almost. As I was interested in both LED and the new JVC slim line lcos which while not as thin as plasma are wall mountable and the first for a rp/microdisplay (dlp, rp lcd and lcos)

can't seem to find specs on the depth or pic to verify.

Also more importantly reason i said this is almost exactly what i'm looking for is because i'm looking more for size 65" - 70" like the upcoming slim line JVC lcos 65" (58" is already out)

Samsung makes a 67" DLP (hl-s6767) and upcoming HL-T6756 and also a 71" current and i think 72" upcoming model so i wonder if they will finally make an LED model larger then 61" and of course a model larger then 61" would benefit the most from a slimmer cabinet then current dlps sets.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Also of some interest:

3d HD ready. The HLT generation of Samsung DLP® HDTVs are capable of displaying future 3D games, movies and other programming via 3D compatible glasses and hardware. Models included are:

HL-T4675S
HL-T5075S
HL-T5076S
HL-T5087S
HL-T5089S
HL-T5675S
HL-T5676S
HL-T5687S
HL-T5689S
HL-T6187S
HL-T6176S
HL-T6187S
HL-T6189S
HL-T6779
HL-T5076S
HL-T7288W
Old 05-29-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

can't seem to find specs on the depth or pic to verify.

Use the link at the bottom of my post.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:44 PM

The Samsung warehouse finally has HLT5676 DLPs on hand, mine shipped today. Have been without a working DLP since December, must be a record.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:40 PM

Yep they just got the HL-T6176S in the warehouses cause mine shipped today. Finally going to end the almost four month wait for a t.v. Just hope this one dont let me down like my 6187W did.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:30 PM

out of curiousity what happened to your tvs to warrant a replacement...i have had the shadow problem on my hls 5087 for 2 months now and i am still waiting for the final word on whether or not i am going to get a replacement tv...so just curious what happened to your tvs