[Problem] Pioneer Elite Pro-510HD keeps turning off - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-04-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

I don't post here very often so hopefully this is the right forum. My Pioneer RPTV (built circa 2000) has been turning off randomly for the last several months.

When it turns off, the power light goes from green to red. Generally I unplug it and after a half hour or so it comes back on. Kind of annoying ;-)

In addition, the screen sometimes flickers and pops before going back to normal--this has also been going on for a few months.

Any of you folks have an idea what might be going on? I guess the thing to do is call a repairman, but if this is irreperable I may not bother.

Speaking of which--any recommendations for a good Pioneer Elite repairman in Ann Arbor, MI?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I own a Pioneer Elite Pro 720 so I am familiar with the operation of your Pro 510HD. In any event, from what you have described, I'd say your unit needs servicing. It may only be a transistor, but you'll never enjoy the TV again unless you get it fixed, in house, immediately. I'd contact Pioneer for their closest service tech to you. These Elites best all current LCDs, Plasmas and other technologies due to their superior, point of reference blacks, and overall colorful picture quality.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-17-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardethan View Post

Hi Folks,

I don't post here very often so hopefully this is the right forum. My Pioneer RPTV (built circa 2000) has been turning off randomly for the last several months.

When it turns off, the power light goes from green to red. Generally I unplug it and after a half hour or so it comes back on. Kind of annoying ;-)

In addition, the screen sometimes flickers and pops before going back to normal--this has also been going on for a few months.

Any of you folks have an idea what might be going on? I guess the thing to do is call a repairman, but if this is irreperable I may not bother.

Speaking of which--any recommendations for a good Pioneer Elite repairman in Ann Arbor, MI?

Thanks

There's a thread on this here on the forums. I have the same TV. I bought mine in 2000 and last year it started doing the same thing. Slowly getting dim, then bright several times, then a pop and would shut off.(Red Light) And would not come back on unless I hit the power button(same as unpluging it) and waiting a few minutes. Pioneer knows about the problem, and will pay half the repairs even though its out of warranty. The culprip: The main power board. It had cold solder points that need to be resoldered. Call Pioneer customer service and they will give you a case #. They will either replace the board or resolder yours. My repair guy had a new power board from Pioneer and it was DOA. He just resoldered mine (about 1 hour) and it only cost me $145. This corrected a severe converge problem I was having as well. I've since been watching HD in 1080 and really enjoying my set again. Good Luck.....
post #4 of 26 Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Look for the main pioneer 510/610 thread ( "Pioneer Elite Pro-510 problem" in rptv forum). I had the brightening/blue-flash problem (no pop, I don't use the speakers on the TV). This apparently eventually turns into a turning off problem.

You can likely fix it yourself if you are at all handy with a soldering iron. The (LONG) thread goes into detail.

I just an hour ago finished about a 2 hour job of reflowing the solder joints on the power board of my 610 (same issue). Never called Pioneer (apparently they are covering 1/2 of the cost of the repairs for many people, not the whole deal).

My problem appears to be completely fixed!

Good luck,

Paul Meyer

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 26 Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Does any one have the Pioneer customer service 1-800 ?
post #6 of 26 Old 05-11-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

(800) 421-1404
post #7 of 26 Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyz View Post

There's a thread on this here on the forums. I have the same TV. I bought mine in 2000 and last year it started doing the same thing. Slowly getting dim, then bright several times, then a pop and would shut off.(Red Light) And would not come back on unless I hit the power button(same as unpluging it) and waiting a few minutes. Pioneer knows about the problem, and will pay half the repairs even though its out of warranty. The culprip: The main power board. It had cold solder points that need to be resoldered. Call Pioneer customer service and they will give you a case #. They will either replace the board or resolder yours. My repair guy had a new power board from Pioneer and it was DOA. He just resoldered mine (about 1 hour) and it only cost me $145. This corrected a severe converge problem I was having as well. I've since been watching HD in 1080 and really enjoying my set again. Good Luck.....

Hello. I own a Pioneer Elite 510HD, and, it too has developed power on issues. It started powering off by itself randomly, and, now it does not power on at all. It appears as though Pioneer is aware of the problem & they are willing to cover some of the cost? Is this true? Anyone know how I should pursue this?
post #8 of 26 Old 11-21-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyz View Post

Just called Pioneer Customer Service and went very smooth as I referenced need to replace Power supply board... They said they will call me back after locating a person to perform the work... I believe I have to cover the Labor.

Anyone know if I should replace the lamps on the TV while I have a tech here? It's 7+ years old?
post #9 of 26 Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Reference Parts\\Service Manuals for Pioneer Pro-510HD
If anyone needs copies of the following, let me know. sra.rockford@gmail.com

ARB1527 Owners MANUAL (PRO610HD/510HD) $24.74
ARP3047 Ervice Manual Parts list and schematics S/M (MAIN-EXP VIEWS/SCHEM) $40.37
ARP3051 Service Manaual (MAIN-ADJ/TECH INFO) $17.49
ARP3086 Service Manual S/M(NEW)PRO710HD/610HD/510HD$31.15
post #10 of 26 Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 PM

I have the manuals but not yet in a format that is easy to send... I'll send what I can but better yet just contact Bob as he PERMANENTLY FIXED my TV!
510-278-4247
bob@imageperfection.com
post #11 of 26 Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srarfi View Post

I have the manuals but not yet in a format that is easy to send... I'll send what I can but better yet just contact Bob as he PERMANENTLY FIXED my TV!
Bob@imageperfection.com
(510) 278-4247
Robert P. Jones
Image Perfection
1414 Via LaPolma
San Lorenzo, CA., USA

Another shout out for Bob - he fixed my TV too (walked me through removing a board which I shipped to him and he repaired and returned) and also walked me through cleaning all the optics. The TV is now reliable and looks AWESOME again!

Bob for President.
post #12 of 26 Old 12-26-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanks, guys, only too glad to help! There are still 3 boards here awaiting my loving attention - and 1 just finished a 4th, which will go out later today - in my quest to save all the CRT RPTVs I can, I believe in them so much.

Please allow me to save your set - your PS board was badly soldered by Pioneer on all 510/610/710s and many of the 520/620/720s, and they are not standing behind that error very much. Whatever they WERE doing now seems to have been disco'd, leaving you owners out in the cold.

My comprehensive resoldering op, OTOH, has been saving boards - and their sets - for years, and permanently every time. My thanks to those brave souls who stood up for me in the last few earlier posts, here. They are even now enjoying their sets, with permanent results having been secured via my efforts on their sets, many months ago.

The original thread started 4 years ago about this problem can be found here -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...402397&page=53

I recommend you go to page 45 and see the screenshots I took of finished products in Minneapolis earlier this year, after I gave them the full Monty, the full enchilada, the full meal deal. Scroll down till you start seeing screenshots.

If you have any doubts about CRT tech vs. the new fixed pixel tech, see my thread called "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV!", which I started 2 years ago and is still going strong, about to hit its 150th page.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=148

Please contact me directly for details on how to save your set at the info in my sig. Not by pm, please -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #13 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Hope you owners reading this have found the thread referred to in my last post here, and have stopped using your sets until the intermittent connections have been fixed. If you are having these problems and your PS board has not been fully restored, yet you're watching video on it anyway just hoping for the best, you're playing Russian Roulette with your multi-thousand dollar investment. The next spurious event could be the one that takes it down permanently.

These sets are NOT old. They are only at cruising age. Over at the thread in question you can see screenshots of this series of Elite which I took in MN last year. They show that these sets are emminently capable of rendering pix every bit as good as when the set was brand new. Better, actually, because OOB sets are not calibrated, and these are.

You don't even need to think about buying new. It is completely unnecessary with the quality of set you already have. It just takes the touch of the master's hand to bring it out. I am flown all over the country working on these CRT RPTV sets, and these Pioneer Elites lead the pack.

If your set is exhibiting these problems and you want your set to last, unplug your set and contact me immediately. Directly please, not by pm.

I can save your set so you don't have to buy new. I do it every day. 2 new boards to work on just arrived here yesterday -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #14 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

This is a post from just a few days ago by Rob, one of the owners of a 710 in Marin, whose set I calibrated last year.

His set was fine when I calibrated it, then later came up with exactly what this thread here is about, so I went up and did the restoration of his PS board, which saved all the benefits he'd paid for in the original calibration -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post

Mr. Bob asked me to post up some screenshots of my Pioneer 65" 710. I played around with my Panasonic SZ 28. I put the camera on a tripod, and used about a 1/2 sec exposure. I had to play around with the +/- exposure controls as they were coming out too overexposed, plus I have the ability to play with the Kelvin color scale. I just played with it until the LCD screen on the camera matched up with what I was seeing on the CRT screen.

I might add since Mr. Bob supertweaked my set in Nov 08, and then a solder redo of my main board, I can't get enough of my HD from BluRay discs, and DirectTV. I don't have a BD playing computer so unable to do screen saves from my computer. Anyway here were 2 shots I captured. They have been cropped.

Fifth Element

Kung Fu Panda

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #15 of 26 Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

These were sent to me by Joe Barnhart by email, from shots he personally took of his PRO 510HD Elite -

Calibrated by yours truly, of course...

[/url]

[/url]

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #16 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I have had numerous inquiries about whether I am still fixing these Pioneer sets with PS board problems, and yes, I still am. If your set has come up lately with infuriating symptoms, contact me and I'll get her straight for you again.

Thru the regular channels, no pm's please -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #17 of 26 Old 11-07-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Here it is months after that last post, and the message is still the same: YES I am still saving these sets. I intend to keep saving them until there are no more to save.

These are 20 year service life sets, and are only part way thru that lifespan. Contact me directly - no pm's please - and I'll save your set.

AND make it look phenomenal!

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #18 of 26 Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

This was just posted on another thread, thought I'd share it with you here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by najames View Post

Holy Cow Dave Harper!!! You said ISF is in Florida, so I decided to see where they're located. They're about 5-10 minutes from my house!! Didn't even know it, too darned funny.

I have an elderly Pioneer SD-532HD5 like this one.

http://www4.shopping.com/xFS?KW=pion...Video&FD=85747

I might just need to have this thing calibrated some day. It works OK and has been moved across the country twice, in storage for a couple years, never been touched except when I used the Avia disk set it up initially and when I moved here in Boca Raton 3 years ago.

Just noticed this post in another thread, from way back in '05.

Just so you know, those "elderly" CRT RPTVs are not old, they have a 20 year service life - or more, I've seen it, recently heard about a 29 year old Panny CRT 50" that's still cranking away just fine - and at today's stage are only halfway thru it. I know of an "old" curved screen bounce-off-the-screen Sears CRT whose guns fire at the hinged mirror that you pull out and let fall into place to start it up, that's still cranking away just fine too. We've been looking for someone to take it home and keep it going, or hopefully get it to some sort of video museum, tho I have never actually heard of one...

Well treated by their owners re. usage, light levels and avoidance of screenburn, they are capable of WAY better than new performance, even at 11 years old.

I am being flown all over the country cleaning and calibrating these "elderly" beasts, which are capable of incredible HD, head and shoulders better than a lot of the "affordable" fixed pixel offerings out there in today's marketplace. And better looking in some ways than all fixed pixel offerings.

The main thing that not everybody knows about them is that their optics need to be cleaned yearly, and on some brands - like the Pioneers, be they Elite or non-Elite - the "deeper optics" need it every few years as well. That's because of the air gap between the lens barrels and the CRT coolant covers, where 6 additional surfaces get invaded by dust, soot, smoke and all manner of other airborn contaminants, and thus compromised because of the high voltage turning them into powerful, continuous dust magnets every moment they are powered on. There's 28 optical surfaces in there that need to stay crystal clear, 10 of which get heavily compromised because of the HV. When all 28 surfaces are clean and polished and you have a crystal clear light path again, the results are truly astonishing. Like getting a brand new TV for a simple hour's work.

Just doing this one thing gives your "elderly" set a brand new looking picture - in my area my calibrations are called "The Sparkle Process" - and calibration after that is just incredible icing on the cake.

I started the "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV!" thread here on AVS more than 5 years ago, and it is still going strong, with over 300 complete pages so far and over 9000 posts. If you have a CRT RPTV at all, HD or non-HD, I invite you to go over there and check it out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=327

If you have a CRT RPTV or know someone who does and want info about how to do your optics cleaning with no damage - those soft plastic surfaces in there are incredibly delicate, vulnerable and easily scratched, and any damage to them is permanent - contact me directly, by email or phone. No pm's please!

Thx -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #19 of 26 Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 PM

So, Mr. Bob helped me tweak my set two weeks ago... via phone. Very useful service! Things look better and will only continue to improve with the knowledge he provided me during our time together on the phone.

So I've given up the idea of replacing my beloved 510HD and will keep it for another ten years.

One thing the experts here may be able to help me with: Many of the source components are switching away from component output. (The Oppo blue ray I am interested in has HDMI and component... but the HDMI output has additional processing not available on the component out! What is up with that!?!)

These wonderful old Pioneer Elite's have component and RGB input, but no HDMI.

My question: Is there a good quality reasonably priced conversion box we can use to get HDMI into one of the existing inputs on the back of these Pioneer Elite's?

post #20 of 26 Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahr View Post

So, Mr. Bob helped me tweak my set two weeks ago... via phone. Very useful service! Things look better and will only continue to improve with the knowledge he provided me during our time together on the phone.

So I've given up the idea of replacing my beloved 510HD and will keep it for another ten years.

One thing the experts here may be able to help me with: Many of the source components are switching away from component output. (The Oppo blue ray I am interested in has HDMI and component... but the HDMI output has additional processing not available on the component out! What is up with that!?!)

My question: Is there a good quality reasonably priced conversion box we can use to get HDMI into one of the existing inputs on the back of these Pioneer Elite's?

Google HDFURY. I have one and it works great.
post #21 of 26 Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahr View Post

I use the HDfury 3 it has 2 HDMI ports, They are coming out with the HDfury4 which is good for 3D viewing i have been told very happy with the HDfury 3 though
post #22 of 26 Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 PM

The screen shuts shuts off after 15 min. After the TV rests the screen works again. Does anyone have advice?

Pioneer Pro-510HD
Mike Halpin
Mlhalpin@cox.net
Scottsdale AZ
post #23 of 26 Old 11-25-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Watch this video. All 13 minutes of it. Save yourself the trouble of reading more than 95 pages of the AVS thread all its data cohmes from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_VerYFt6Y8&sns=em

I'll be ready for any questions after that, but if you don't watch the video I will be repeating myself incessantly and endlessly. Yes I have personally saved literally TONS of these sets so far.

B

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #24 of 26 Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlhalpin View Post

The screen shuts shuts off after 15 min. After the TV rests the screen works again. Does anyone have advice?

Pioneer Pro-510HD
Mike Halpin
Mlhalpin@cox.net
Scottsdale AZ

Mike, this is a very common Pioneer problem caused by the way the power supply boards were soldered during the manufacturing process. Thermal-cycling over years causes cold solder joints on the board. As long as you get the problem addressed and do not continue to use the set and let it "pop" and turn off, this is usually a reasonable cost repair. It's all solder and no parts. Keep using the set like this and it will get damaged. Will... for sure. This is typically one of the only problems these sets have for the duration of their reasonable lifetime... fix this now, and you could keep this set for many more years likely.

I vouch for Mr. Bob. He knows his stuff. He will not lead you astray.

Joe

P.S. For the record... I own a 510 and a 710 that I love. I rebuilt them both using Bob's advice.
post #25 of 26 Old 11-27-2013, 06:06 AM

Mr. Bob is 100% correct. My 510 had this issue many years ago, before I found Mr. Bob, and the power supply board was swapped for a Pioneer "remanufactured" unit. They only reworked about 1/3 of the board.

In 2011 I had Bob out for a couple of days, did the optics, over scan shimming, and calibration, also had him look at the power supply as a precaution... He now uses pictures of my power supply to illustrate that Pioneer didn't get it right the second time. It wasn't a matter of "if" it was going to fail, it was WHEN would it fail & what else will be damaged.

Recently my 510 wouldn't wake from standby, contacted Bob & learned the convergence IC's failed. Shipped the board to Bob, he replaced the IC's, tested the board & shipped it back.

I love my 510 & Bob has a passion for helping us keep them in tip-top condition. With his help, I still have not seen anything that has tempted me to consider replacing my 510.

John

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
post #26 of 26 Old 04-09-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks so much John.

Would you consider posting this on www.yelp.com, for Image Perfection near San Lorenzo CA? All but one of my reviews there are still being suppressed under their "Not currently recommended" label.

Thanks again. I intend to keep your set looking mahvelous!

cool.gif

Have you cleaned your optics recently? If not, you're up. It's been how many years since I did it for you in Texas? 2011 makes it 3 years. That's more than enough time to now need the deeper optics cleaning all over again, and the regular optics should have been done each year without fail. If your set has started to look bleary, there's no need for that at all.

wink.gif

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page