Assistance with Samsung HLP5663 please? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, just picked up this TV, have a question about the service menu. I notice that the size of the picture is too big for the screen horizontally and vertically, so I'm in the service menu trying to fix it. All I see options for though are changing the horizontal/vertical positioning of the screen, and not being able to actually increase/decrease the screen size to fit it perfectly on the screen. Can someone possibly help me out with this? Anything would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-05-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There is no option in the HLP service menu to eliminate Overscan. However, it you feed it 720p over DVI you can set the Picture/Size to Expand Mode which has less then 1% overscan.
Or of course you can use the VGA interface whcih does not Overscan
post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

There is no option in the HLP service menu to eliminate Overscan. However, it you feed it 720p over DVI you can set the Picture/Size to Expand Mode which has less then 1% overscan.

To add a bit to walford's reply, you can use Expand mode with either HDMI or DVI inputs. On my set, a HL-S5063, there is about 1.5% overscan using "Expand" mode.

The other advantage using Expand mode is that you get 1:1 pixel mapping which is great for computer work and give you a slightly sharper image for DVDs and TV.

I have our STB set to output everything at 720p over HDMI, and my HTPC set to output everything at 720p over DVI. The "P. Size" button on the remote will give you "Expand" as an option in either case. If you use Wide(TV) you will get an additional 3% overscan added. If you use Wide(PC) you will get about 2% underscan.

For DVDs you would need a HTPC or an upscaling DVD player. The OPPO DVD players have a very good reputation at AVS. Check out their ad at the top of every AVS page.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2007, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sounds good, thanks for the info. I can definitely hook up through HDMI, but this would be my next question then.

I see a lot of people who strictly just hook up through HDMI, does that mean that you constantly watch non-widescreen programs with the gray bars on the left and right sides? I understand that this is the "correct" view on which to watch them, but I don't know I guess with a widescreen TV I feel like the entire screen should be full horizontally! How do you guys usually hook up? Are you ok with the gray bars on the sides for non HDTV broadcasts? Thanks much!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post

How do you guys usually hook up? Are you ok with the gray bars on the sides for non HDTV broadcasts?

I am. Why distort or crop the image just to make it fit a screen that it wasn't intended to fill? Check the black bars link at the bottom of my post.

By the way, the bars are black on my set.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page