Calibrate or replace? Pioneer HD-643HD5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-07-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question for CRT RPTV owners...

I have a Pioneer 643HD5 that is about 4.5 years old. I bought it at Costco and am debating between having it ISF Calibrated to extend its life or taking advantage of the Costco return policy to return it for a set more able to deal with the newer HDMI and copy protection schemes... I've been very happy with it, but it is getting a little long in the tooth.

Before I get bashed on exercising the Costco return policy, the folks at Costco sold me on the membership based soley on that policy even when I tossed them a scenario such as the one I am considering.

I guess the ultimate question is whether or not the 643HD5 is still considered to be a quality piece of equipment and should I keep it and get it calibrated to restore it to near new performance? Or should I return it for a newer LCD/LCoS/DLP/? RPTV in the 70" size range. If the newer set won't particularly improve the picture, I'd be more inclined to keep the 643HD5.

What do y'all advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-07-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok423 View Post

Question for CRT RPTV owners...

I have a Pioneer 643HD5 that is about 4.5 years old. I bought it at Costco and am debating between having it ISF Calibrated to extend its life or taking advantage of the Costco return policy to return it for a set more able to deal with the newer HDMI and copy protection schemes... I've been very happy with it, but it is getting a little long in the tooth.

Before I get bashed on exercising the Costco return policy, the folks at Costco sold me on the membership based soley on that policy even when I tossed them a scenario such as the one I am considering.

I guess the ultimate question is whether or not the 643HD5 is still considered to be a quality piece of equipment and should I keep it and get it calibrated to restore it to near new performance? Or should I return it for a newer LCD/LCoS/DLP/? RPTV in the 70" size range. If the newer set won't particularly improve the picture, I'd be more inclined to keep the 643HD5.

What do y'all advise?

No offense, but what you are suggesting is unethical in my book. Maybe an over eager floor person might have said whatever you wanted to hear, but not necessarily the views of the store. If you don't have it in writing, it may not be worth anything anyway and wouldn't blame them if they refused it. To think you can "borrow" an electronic device and then return it 4.5 years later to update to new technology is wrong in my book, especially considering Costco's pricing. If you had paid a premium for the set you might have a little bit more of a leg to stand on.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2007, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

They wouldn't refuse. Its their 100% unconditional return policy and it's well known...

Their policy and well published and they've had every opportunity to change it (in fact, they have regarding other products such as computers) and haven't.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5306

I find it hard to call it a breach of ethics if I'm not trying to 'trick' them into anything. I have a receipt and they have a policy... simple as that.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page