Are some dead pixels normal on a new Samsung DLP tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-13-2007, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a new Samsung 50" HL-S5087W 1080p DLP tv and I hooked it all up and it looks great. Only thing is if I stand close to the tv and really look at all the pixels, I can see a few black dots and I can't wipe them off with a rag, so I imagine they are dead pixels... but I thought DLP's didn't have pixels on the screen? so is it really a pixel or something else?

is it normal to have some dead pixels on a brand new dlp tv? how many are normal?

you really can't see the black dots when you sit back about 10foot to watch the tv unless you are squinting and really really look for it hard..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-13-2007, 09:05 AM

the TV actuals specify the amount of pixels that can be bad. Ive seen it spec in the manuals. You might start there and then go online and look up the specs.

it could be worse, you could have gotten an Sony with its defective SXRD technology and inserts a green coffee stain shaped haze in the middle of the screen call the Green Glob.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-13-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There are no pixels on a DLP tvs. If you stand too close to any tv you will see "things". Unless they show up in normal viewing on all inputs they are probably nothing. However, if they bother you and show on all things, TV shows, DVD, etc., there could be a problem and you can call for service or go to a store and see if you can see them on other similar TVs. Also, be sure you have adjusted your tv for best viewing. Check the Samsung HLS thread for settings.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by squale View Post

I just got a new Samsung 50" HL-S5087W 1080p DLP tv and I hooked it all up and it looks great. Only thing is if I stand close to the tv and really look at all the pixels, I can see a few black dots and I can't wipe them off with a rag, so I imagine they are dead pixels... but I thought DLP's didn't have pixels on the screen? so is it really a pixel or something else?

It's very hard to see a dead pixel on a 1080p wobulated RPTV set. A rear projection TV creates images by projecting pixels onto a screen.

Quote:

is it normal to have some dead pixels on a brand new dlp tv? how many are normal?

No. They are very rare, but they can happen. If you project a white image onto your screen then it's easier to see dead pixels or dirt spots.

Quote:

you really can't see the black dots when you sit back about 10foot to watch the tv unless you are squinting and really really look for it hard..

The other possibility is that you are seeing specs of dirt either on the inside surface of your screen, or between the layers of your screen.

A "wobulated pixel is diamond shaped and it slightly overlaps it's neighboring pixels. For a black spot to be a pixel the black spot has to be contained in the boundaries of one pixel or adjacent pixels.

You might be standing too close and looking too hard. It happens to new owners sometimes.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-13-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

There are no pixels on a DLP tvs.

Not true. See above.

Quote:

If you stand too close to any tv you will see "things". Unless they show up in normal viewing on all inputs they are probably nothing.

In general that's true.

Quote:

Check the Samsung HLS thread for settings.

Posting questions is the owner's thread for your TV is always a better idea than starting a new thread. You get more potential responders that way.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

well I see some small black spots on the tv on all inputs in the same location and I can't WIPE them off. The black dots are more circular like and definately appears to be behind the screen somehow, maybe it's dirt but how could dirt get back there like that? is there a way to fix it?
post #7 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 AM

The spec according to Samsung is two mirrors stuck in the off (dark) position or one stuck in the on (white) position. If you have two stuck "off" then call Samsung, they will likely replace your light engine like they did for me a couple of days ago with my HL-R5667W (One year old, mirrors stuck "on").
post #8 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

well I just got the tv a few days ago from the store, and this is my second tv, the first one I returned because there was considerable curving in the picture. The store won't let me return again and I won't go through the hassle. But I don't want somebody ripping the tv apart when it's so new..
post #9 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The black dots are more circular like and definately appears to be behind the screen somehow, maybe it's dirt but how could dirt get back there like that? is there a way to fix it?

Dirt gets everywhere.

If it's dirt the fix is a new screen. If it's pixels it's a new light engine. Exactly how many black dots are you seeing? Are they identical and geometric in appearance?

What kind of store will accept only one "defective" returned set?

If it is dirt that you can't see from normal seating locations I wouldn't try to fix it. There are too many ways that the fix can turn out to be worse than what you have now.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

There are probably about 3-4 small black dots that I can't WIPE off. I can only see them when I am standing about 1 foot infront of the screen and there is a light background color on the screen. There is one black dot which is the biggest of them all, I would say it's about the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen, this is noticable from 5 feet away or so if you stare very closely. From where I sit (about 10 foot away) I really can't see it unless I squint really hard and the screen is a light color so it stands out the most.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

There are probably about 3-4 small black dots that I can't WIPE off. I can only see them when I am standing about 1 foot infront of the screen and there is a light background color on the screen. There is one black dot which is the biggest of them all, I would say it's about the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen, this is noticable from 5 feet away or so if you stare very closely. From where I sit (about 10 foot away) I really can't see it unless I squint really hard and the screen is a light color so it stands out the most.

I think it's time to forget about your black dots as long as you are happy with the rest of your new TV.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanmaeder View Post

it could be worse, you could have gotten an Sony with its defective SXRD technology and inserts a green coffee stain shaped haze in the middle of the screen call the Green Glob.

The Sony slammer strikes again. What name will you go by next week?
post #13 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 03:05 PM

You have defective screens. i had a similar issue with my hl-s5086. you have debris between the screens. if you don't want to return call samsung have them send a tech to replace. the store should exchange it since it is a defect. if they refuse dispute the chrge with your credit card company.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page