Regarding DLP Bulbs... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

We've been very happy with our Samsung HLR 50" (the 1080i "Captain Kirk" model). We've now owned it for almost a year, which is usually when the initial bulb wears out.

Are there any indications that the DLP bulb is about to expire? Perhaps a darker picture? Or is the quality the same as always, and then suddenly stops?

Thanks,

- Supratik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
I don't have a Samsung, but I do have a Toshiba 52hm84 52" DLP rear-projection monitor. I've had it a little over 2 years now, and I had my first bulb go about 3-4 months ago (just shy of 5000 hours of use). I watch on "low-power" (dimmer bulb setting), and what I found was that, yes, the picture was a little darker as the bulb started to go. Other things I noticed was that it took a little longer to achieve full brightness when I started it, and it required more frequent "tweaking" with my Avia disc to achieve optimal picture quality (I was losing shadow detail, etc.). Eventually, the bulb just blew (it's inside a protective case, so not a problem). Of course, it blew during the middle of the 8th inning of the NLCS final game. Thankfully I had a spare in my closet (as I do now; used my extended warranty this time to get a new bulb), and it only took me about 15 minutes to replace, so with my DirecTV HD Tivo, I didn't miss any of the game. Priorities, you know! Now that I have experience, I most likely won't replace the bulb until it actually blows. One bonus of doing this is that if you watch on low-power mode, once you replace the bulb the picture looks awesome again (and extremely bright).

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #3 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supratik View Post

We've been very happy with our Samsung HLR 50" (the 1080i "Captain Kirk" model). We've now owned it for almost a year, which is usually when the initial bulb wears out.

That's not true at all, although it obviously depends on how much per day the TV is on. I'm still on my 1st bulb on my 3 1/2 year old Sammy DLP.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

We've now owned it for almost a year, which is usually when the initial bulb wears out.

People have reported over 10K hours on lamps that were still working.

Quote:
Are there any indications that the DLP bulb is about to expire? Perhaps a darker picture? Or is the quality the same as always, and then suddenly stops?

All of the above are possible.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies!

Our picture has become somewhat darker recently, so I wanted to perhaps make sure that it was indeed the bulb. Our television is on for many hours during the day, so it shouldn't be unrealistic that the bulb is approaching the end of its lifetime.

I also should get it professionally calibrated... though that's another story.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Our picture has become somewhat darker recently, so I wanted to perhaps make sure that it was indeed the bulb. Our television is on for many hours during the day, so it shouldn't be unrealistic that the bulb is approaching the end of its lifetime.

Lamps get dimmer with use. If you get a copy of the DVE disk and follow Eliab's suggestions (see link at the bottom of my post) you can adjust the brightness of your image.

Quote:

I also should get it professionally calibrated... though that's another story.

You don't want to have your set professionally calibrated and then replace the lamp.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Currently on my 2nd bulb, first one lasted about 8400 hours, tv now has aprox 13,000 hours. Recently my color wheel exploded, thankfully I purchased the 5yr repair plan

It usually dims over time but mine also was a dust issue because when he changed the colorwheel, he cleaned the lens and other items that makes the picture dim.

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #8 of 8 Old 02-04-2007, 10:52 AM

I have had my Toshiba 52HM84 DLP for almost 2 years now. The original bulb is still good. No loss in picture quality to date. I figure I have somewhere between 4,000 - 5,000 hours on the TV so far. It seems I got one of the revised bulbs / TV. I hear that some of the models just before my purchase date had bulb issues.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page