HDMI 1080i/P color shift problem on my Samsung DLP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Z07VETTE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After owning my HLS 6187 for about 50 days I just noticed that through HDMI, if the signal being fed is a 1080i or 1080P source, I get a real bad color shift that looks very yellowish, darker and sometimes a little pixelated too. I have swapped 3 different cables and tried 5 different sources, 4 of which I confirmed on friends tvs do not enduce this color shift problem. Through component, this does not happen and all is good. Also 720P through HDMI appears to be fine as well.

Another way to describe what my TV looks like with a 1080 source through HDMI: When you first power up the TV, it slowly comes on and the picture starts to get brighter and brighter till it gets to a point where its almost at full brightness and has a yellow haze. It hangs on that spot for about 6-7 seconds then bam, something kicks in and the TV is at full brightness and the colors look right. Just prior to that final stage of whatever kicks in there is how my TV looks with the 1080 HDMI source.

Any ideas as to what this could be? I called Samsung for warranty service but the tech they sent over ( private TV repair shop ) said the TV was fine and blamed the cable and or, the cable box even after I told him that I tried 3 different HDMI cables and confirmed that these cables, DVD players, PS3 etc etc on my friends Samsung TV are fine. After I got upset with him he changed his story and said he would look into it.

I reported back to Samsung and they promised to look into it, fix my problem and to fix it as quickly as possible or replace the TV. Their customer service has actually been great so far and they really make me feel like they are committed to fixing my issues and making me happy.

I will keep you guys updated as to what happens.
Z07VETTE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good luck.. My recent problems with my hl-s5687 are almost putting me off of home theater as a hobby. It's really miserable.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 02-02-2007, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
John Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 10,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Since YPbPr works, unless HDMI is absolutely required, I'd ignore the HDMI, a complex digital encryption technique created to eliminate theft of copyrighted films (that as a side benefit minimizes cabling). Doesn't seem worth the hassling, unless there's a known fix covered by the warranty. There are numerous reports of component PQ matching HDMI PQ within the forums. -- John
John Mason is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 02-02-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
These things are unreliable trash. I paid $2500 for this POS and it barely lasted 7 months. And their service is crap too.

Let me add, my local repair guy is doing his best now, so... We'll see. I normally wouldn't be stressing over this, but this weekend.. grrr.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 02-02-2007, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Z07VETTE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Since YPbPr works, unless HDMI is absolutely required, I'd ignore the HDMI, a complex digital encryption technique created to eliminate theft of copyrighted films (that as a side benefit minimizes cabling). Doesn't seem worth the hassling, unless there's a known fix covered by the warranty. There are numerous reports of component PQ matching HDMI PQ within the forums. -- John

I find it totally unacceptable that my HDMI inputs are not working right but even if I wanted to just use component, my Denon 3930CI does not send 1080P though it's component outputs and neither does the PS3.

I didn't buy a $1700 (CDN) DVD player for 480P output.


Samsung told me today that their special technical assistance center is looking at my file trying to figure out what could be the problem. They also told me that it will most likely just be replaced with a new one.

I wonder if they can set me up with a 2007 model for all my troubles with this one.
Z07VETTE is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 02-03-2007, 02:31 AM
Newbie
 
woundingchaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z07VETTE View Post

I find it totally unacceptable that my HDMI inputs are not working right but even if I wanted to just use component, my Denon 3930CI does not send 1080P though it's component outputs and neither does the PS3.

I didn't buy a $1700 (CDN) DVD player for 480P output.


Samsung told me today that their special technical assistance center is looking at my file trying to figure out what could be the problem. They also told me that it will most likely just be replaced with a new one.

I wonder if they can set me up with a 2007 model for all my troubles with this one.

I have the 5087 and personally have no problem what so ever with the set. Is this color shift random or permanent for the hdmi.
woundingchaney is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 02-03-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Z07VETTE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by woundingchaney View Post

I have the 5087 and personally have no problem what so ever with the set. Is this color shift random or permanent for the hdmi.

Its permanent for HDMI but only at 1080i or 1080P. Other than that the tv is amazing, no pincushion effect, don't see rainbows etc etc...........
Z07VETTE is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off